Nabari no Ou

WittyKatts's avatar By on Aug 16, 2010

I absolutely love the plot! It's not predictable, it's original, and intriguing! It pulled at my heart strings, and I cried over this. I don't know what else to say about it, other than excellent~!

Animation:

The animation was great in my opinion. The movements flowed very well, and art was original. Definitely good animation in comparison to others I've seen... o.O

Sound:

The voice acting was good. I admit, I have very poor judgment when it comes to Japanese voice acting, but I personally loved the voices of the characters~! ^^ As for the opening and ending theme: the opening theme is decent, but nothing memorable, accept when he says "I don't care" in English. o.o For some reason I could get that out of my head. xD The first ending theme, I liked a lot, the second one, gave me a headache for some reason...but I think that's just me. ^^;;

I love the characters! They all had very distinct personalities, and for once none of them annoyed me...even a little! Miharu is very loveable, because although he is very careless at first, you see a much better, adorable, side to him as the series continues. ^^ Yoite was somewhat hard for me to understand, and I wish they would've revealed a bit more of his past, but all in all, I loved Yoite almost as much as Miharu...almost. xD I found Koichi very interesting, Tobari...okay, maybe he annoyed me a tad, but barely. >w< I just don't understand why he was so stubborn. I really liked Raimei, because she almost seemed full of herself in a way. And Fuuma is definitely worth mentioning, because he was definitely a very...interesting character. xD Very humorous in my opinion.

Overall:

A very very very good anime that I think almost anyone would love! Despite what some people may say, there is no yaoi. Yes, you can think of it as yaoi if you want to, but really, guys can be friends too. I've seen guys hug each other and announce they're in a "Bromance", and even so, they're not homosexual. So really, it isn't yaoi, unless you want it to be. ^^; If that makes sense...just saying, anyways...WATCH IT.

9.5/10 characters
9.9/10 overall
snakebrain's avatar By on Aug 6, 2010

WARNING: This review contains some mild spoilers.

I quite like this anime.  The story -- an Ordinary High School boy finds out he's the key to a great battle between rival ninja clans -- isn't particularly original, but it becomes quickly obvious that the show isn't really about that.  Rather, it's about the slowly evolving relationship between our main character, Miharu, and Yoite, another young man of an opposing ninja clan who is slowly dying -- and desperately wants something from Miharu.

The relationship between these two kindred spirits is fascinating, as we begin to slowly understand how alike their struggles with happiness and apathy are.  How healthy this relationship is, is always in doubt, and trying to come to terms with just how they feel about one another and how this affects both them and the people around them is one of the joys of watching this series.

These two characters are trying to figure things out right along with the viewer, which leads to quite a bit of side-switching and motives and actions that aren't always readily clear.  This is interesting at first, though it does get tiresome after a while; however, it dovetails nicely with the series' message that no one is truly good or bad, or trustworthy, and that you can't rely on others to make your decisions for you.

This also reflects in the moral complexity of the various other characters on the show.  Very few people in this series are all good or all bad; most of them are quite human, and as such are always surprising you.  You come to really care about these people, because they seem so real; and even the ones who are at first unsympathetic or annoying slowly endear themselves to you (though I hated Kotarou right to the end).

The series is at its strongest when it takes advantage of all of the complex characters.  When the series, especially towards the end, focuses more exclusively on the relationship between Miharu and Yoite, it becomes bogged down in a repititious cycle of storylines we've already seen.  Though the relationship between the two is fascinating, it isn't quite fascinating enough to sustain the entire series by itself, which is exactly what it tries to do for a while.  Needles to say, this part is the weakest of the series.

The strongest parts are a raid on a school towards the middle, and the ending, which manages to be completely awesome right up until an unfortunate deus ex machina that leaves the final few episodes to again mostly be about the relationship between Miharu and Yoite.  Still, the ending packs a punch, and is certainly satisfying in the way it manages to tie several different plot threads together.

It would be a shame if I didn't mention the remarkable animation -- the background is, I believe, gorgeous watercolors, and the character designs are dynamic (if a tad unoriginal).  The characters are a little lanky, but still look great, especially when they spring into action.

In short this is a very good series that at times sinks under the weight of its own fantastic characters -- if everyone around Miharu and Yoite wasn't so interesting, we wouldn't notice they're absence; of course, these are some great characters, which means that we do.  By and large, however, this is a great and interesting series, well worth your time.

Ailee1008's avatar By on Aug 6, 2015

LOVE The anime...yup the plot was great and somewhat unexpected as they kind of live happily ever after. The ending was splendid and indeed heartwarming although i do wish for yeito to survive or at least died having his body remained. ^_^. As for the overall plot i really like how they pull out the logical of having your past and future related..when yeito made the decision to stay as he is it make sense to me because it is true when he says that the past have made him who he is 'the current' he. That by staying the same way as he is he would get the love of those who truly treasured and care for him endlessly. The concept of forgive and forget are somewhat things that we can learn for our living..yup the mosr earnest way of living is to forgive ppl mistake and somehow forget bout it because obviously personal desire and revenge seeking does not do bring anything other than regret and suffer.

9.5/10 animation
CruzerDX's avatar By on Apr 28, 2015

Nabari no Ou is one of my favorite animes and it always will be. The characters are great, the story had a lot of turns and suprises, and the animation was the best i've seen from an anime made in 2008. I never get tired of watching it and almost all of the episodes has some sort of suspense coming from it.

Story- The story of Nabari no Ou is fairl simple but has its twists and turns.(Spoiler alert)Some of the twists and turns includes someone being immortal or finding out that Miharu isn't related to Thobari.(I really wanted that to be true)One great flaw that the story has though is that it reminds me of Naruto, I mean a lot. Theirs something inside Miharu and Naruto and it isn't unleashed/unlocked until they reach their true potential.(Spoiler Alert again)Also the fact that Raikou killed his entire village just as Itachi and their younger sibling is trying to get revenge. Though these similarities could get annoying but is the only problem.

Animation- The animation in Nabari no Ou is really good considering the year it came out. The fight scenes looks really good and it always seems to excite me when something happens. Not much I can say about the animation but that it look great I guess haha.

Sound- The sound is kinda annoying. The half mark of the anime, the same soundtrack when something suspenseful happens, it just gets old. I could say that the only music in this anime that is worth listening to is the opening because it is catchy which is the reason why I give this a score of 6 instead of a 3 or 4.

Characters- The characters are well... interseting haha. Well, I guess i'll just say that they are likeable. Miharu and Yoite could get annoying with them liking each other and all but once you get deep into the anime, this will become somewhat irrelevant. Other than that, Miharu is very unemotional and is hard to attach on to because it takes time. He also seems to not do anything to help out and is kinda useless. Yoite, another important main character, is my favoite character. Though he also has almost no emotions, I could see that he was going to be my favorite when he first appeared. His backround is very interesting and the most eventful. Other than these two characters the rest has their flaws but are good to. Also they are drawn very skinny and resembles characters from Zombie Loan, if anyone has ever seen that.. yeah?.. no?.. okay..

Again, though this anime has some flaws, it is one of my favorites and if you see through those flaws like I do then it could be one of your favorites too.

Thanks for reading my review ^^

6.8/10 characters
PurplePeopleEater's avatar By on Apr 24, 2015

This series felt weak and watery to me. (If you read my reviews, I often use the term watery. I mean it's like a watered down glass of orange juice. It's not strong and it's not as good as a normal glass.)

I'm kinda picky about stories I like. This one was interesting enough to watch when I had nothing better to watch, but it wasn't that great.

The story bounces about a bit and doesn't fully explain things to start with. There isn't much to it either.

The characters are in and out and the main character generally doesn't stay with another character long enough to build any kind of strong relationship. Most of the characters are very two dimensional.

Overall, I didn't feel like it had enough substance to be much of anything. It's not emotionally strong but not very comical. It doesn't have a strong plot or a strong motive. It's just watery.