My Neighbor Totoro

Alt titles: Tonari no Totoro

CaptainKylie's avatar By CaptainKylie on Jan 15, 2015

Ah, I love Totoro! I got the movie for Christmas and I think I've watched it more than once. The story is so cute, the characters are cute, the animation is cute. Agh, everything about this movie is cute.

Studio Ghibli is one of my favorite animation studios since I saw Kiki's Delivery Service when I was litte. Lol, we had it on VHS but it was and still is a great movie. I love Studio Ghibli and I love Totoro. The rain scene is probably one of my favorties. (You'll get it when you watch it)

PoeticHorrorShow5287's avatar By PoeticHorrorShow5287 on Sep 1, 2014

I really liked this film. I had never had the pleasure of watching it when I was a child which unfortunately leaves me without the nostalgia feeling I'm sure a lot of young people feel viewing this again as an adult. It was very good though and unlike any other film I've seen.

Story: fun, imaginative and slightly suspenseful, I found myself thuroughly interested the entire 86 minutes of runtime. I loved the cat bus and Totoro was lovely. He is all at once menacingly scary looking, and completely benign looking. Mei and Suzuki were lovely and I adored the way they went about things. Even towards the end when I thought it may end up being horribly sad, I was still in awe of the storyline.

Animation: the backgrounds were lovely and the creative character designs were beautiful. The forest and especially when the seeds grow were also so well done. I adore the animation.

Sound: the songs were cute, the OST was good and the voice acting was very very well done. I watched it with the original dub and Mei's voice actress was a stand out for sure.

Characters: everyone had a distinct personality. Totoro who was only briefly in the film was so original and without saying anything, you just felt drawn to his beautiful character. The girls were carefree, the dad was given great dimension and Kanda was so cute. Very good development.

Overall, I thought it was a fantastically creative and intriguing journey dealing with some heavy issues and handling them with ease. Bravo.

8/10

Watched Dubbed.

thesonicfan21's avatar By thesonicfan21 on Aug 17, 2010

This movie is definetely not one of Miyazaki's best films, but it's very memorable and if you watched it as a little kid, it would definetely bring you back memories as well as his other film, Kiki's Delivery Service. This time, it focuses on two little girls set in the 50s who live in a Haunted House with their father while their mother is ill in the hospital.

Story: Its story is not one of Miyazaki's best plots, but it has a very original idea. Focusing on kids being taken to a new home with creepy-crawling things and await their ill mother while they meet up with a forest spirit called Totoro. I think this had to be Miyazaki's shortest length time film ever.

Animation: It's animation was like old-style childhood-memories animation style. However, I wasn't born in the 80s so I can't make a habit out of it, but it's pretty good animation style.

Sound: I didn't like... well, the english dub was okay, it just needed to sound more different because Sasuke sounded like she was nine when she's obviously older than that, and Mei sounds like a six year old when she's supposed to be around four. The music I didn't really care about, though. But some of them were interesting, 80s style.

Characters: I liked the idea of Mei, Sasuke and the Nanny. The kids were cute and act like their age (well kinda) but they were cute and the Nanny took very good care of them as they grew up in their new haunted house.

Overall: 8.0 This film is good for all ages, but has not a good plot. And therefore, not the best Myazaki film but is very original.

8.9/10 story
9.9/10 animation
mzinna's avatar By mzinna on Apr 29, 2011

Fun story, very imaginative,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

8.8/10 overall
galacticdude7's avatar By galacticdude7 on Jun 16, 2010

-Story-

The weakest link in the movie My Neighbor Totoro is definately the story. For the first half of the movie, I was completely bored out of my mind. I don't mind a little slice of life anime, but it either has to win me over with humor or charm, which My Neighbor Totoro, does not deliver on. However, things get interesting towards the second half of the movie, and the second half ultimately saves the film for me. The story that was set up so boringly in the first half of the film comes alive and takes on a form of its own and it tugs at the heartstrings. If they made the first half of the film more interesting, then I would have given a much highere score.

-Animation-

The art in My Neighbor Totoro is absolutely phenominal. It looks absolutely gorgeous, and it transforms backgrounds into environments in which the characters immerse into. The animation was clean, and the designs where great.

-Characters-

This is definately one of the strongest things in My Neighbor Totoro. The characters are very lovable and they can be related too. They are very fun characters to watch.

-Overall-

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and unfortunatley, My Neighbor Totoro has a weak link in the 1st half of the movie's story. If it wasn't for that then It was really an amazing film.

6.5/10 story