MM!

Jamb000h's avatar By on Nov 1, 2010

MM! tells about a high schooler called Tarou SADO, who is a HUGE Masochist.

I find the story very amusing. It's very funny, but it gets serious sometimes, focusing of themes like weird fetishes, unusual fears etc.

Animation:

Animation is mostly fluid and fits the comedic atmosphere very well.

Sound:

Sound effects are good, and I love the opening song! Endings were a dissapointment.

Best thing about MM! are the characters. Main characters are fun! "I'm afraid of boys!!!" "Loliloliloliloliloli"

nasreen10's avatar By on Feb 15, 2011

Story: Althought MM! was entertaining to begin with, it became repetitative and predictable. It did prove to have a lot of parody and satire but the running gags seemed to get in the way. Throughout the series, there were random episodes that proved to be quite funny. They just became paired with the running gags which became tiresome. I understand that the series itself isn't supposed to be serious or have a deep plot. However, it is a comedy/parody which needs to continue to be fresh and keep you laughing. I felt that MM! wasn't as successful in that. This wasn't awful but I felt that it hindered itself with continued running gags. It's still funny, amusing and get you laughing. However, there are better comedies out there that won't get old. Also, I would consider this does have a resonable amount of ecchi. If you don't like ecchi, I wouldn't watch this.

Animation: Decent for it's time. Nothing extraordinary. Although the character designs are distinguishable from each other and attractive, they definitaly look like characters from other series I've seen. I'm not sure if that was a point. The action sequences were flashy without fluid movement. The opening and ending were disappointing along with the "serious" scenes. However, mosts scenes that were intended to be funny did their job extremely well. Overall, it was ok but nothing great.

Sound: The soundtrack and opening and ending were subpar. The seiyuus did a great job. However, that was the only good part. Everything else was mediocre at best. I don't have much to say about it.

Characters: Very little development if there is any at all. It's part of the running gags which gets annoying and old after a while. The development that exists is either happens really quickly or is predictable. I know that MM! isn't meant to be a character series but I eventually got annoyed at the characters. They were ok but I've seen these type of series with a really likable casts and I felt that MM! didn't deliver in that aspect. They have there little niches and they stay in that and don't really surprise you.

Overall: It's funny and amusing but can get old. Luckly it doesn't last too long so it won't wear you out too bad. At the very least, you will get a couple of laughs especially from about every other episode.

6.9/10 animation
5.9/10 sound
5.9/10 characters
XxZeroeZxX's avatar By on Dec 30, 2010

Toradora! for the 18+ crowd

MM! is a terrific ech com. And in short, it's because this series does everything an ech com should do. MM! certainly doesn't take itself too seriously. The premise of the story is absolutely ridiculous. The characters cover pretty much every ech com archetype you can think of: a masochist, a sadist, an androphobic, a loli supergenius, a gender bender, you name it! Not only that, but these characters really play their rolls quite impressively. There is a ton of laugh out loud interplay particularly between Mio (the sadist) and Tarou (the masochist). And let me just put it out there, I'd like to see who would win in a fight between Mio and Taiga (from Toradora! that is). As Lee Corso would put, "closer than the experts' think" (it's bowl season baby!). Moving along, there's also a great use of parody in this series. Particularly, the DBZ parody is absolutely hilarious. But MM! isn't just a great ech com, it's really a great anime period. And the reason why is that the background love story is actually pretty good. It's a classic triangle romance between Mio, Tarou, and Arashiko (the androphobic, yes quite ironic). There's an interesting contrast in Tarou's relationship with Mio and Arashiko. Arashiko is fairly open with her feelings, but is too shy to admit them to Tarou because of the fact that of course she is afraid of men. Mio on the other hand keeps her feelings concealed in order to maintain her power over Tarou. The last thing I'd like to bring up because it's something that bothered me with a lot of the Fall season anime is that the ending is very appropriate and satisfying despite the fact that there should certainly be a 2nd season. Now let me go on my mini-rant here. Just because an anime is going to have multiple seasons doesn't mean that each intermittent season shouldn't have a true ending. There should be either a minor conflict resolution or a climactic event or anything that indicates either end of season or shift to new season. And where most of the Fall season anime fell flat, MM! does this exactly right. There's enough of a heartwarming moment to make the viewer feel satisfied with what has transpired so far and at the same time look forward to what's yet to come. So in closing, I said all these good things about MM! so why no a higher overall score? Well, for the most part it's because I see it as bad practice to give something a really high score when the series is incomplete. And the ending wasn't actually great, just ok. Also, I can understand that the whole theme of MM! can be a a bit risqué for some people so in fairness I factor that in too. So, all in all, 7.5 out of 10 is my score. It's a substantial drop from my original score as unfortunately I no longer believe the series will be continued (see update).

Update:

So sad news for those who haven't already heard, Akinari Matsuno who wrote the MM! light novel has passed away. We can only hope someone carries on his legacy and that eventually a 2nd season of the anime will be produced. RIP

7.5/10 story
8.5/10 characters
Fortis931's avatar By on Apr 11, 2011

yeah, MM! was pretty good but just not my kind of anime im not sure why, but still you should check it out. its a nice comedy and has some pretty funny and cute characters so check it out if you like this kind of anime.

4.5/10 story
7.5/10 animation
galacticdude7's avatar By on Dec 30, 2010

-Story-

MM! proves to have a very creative plot, and it made me laugh out loud a lot at the hilarious situations that the characters find themselves in. I found the premise to be quite funny. However I did feel that it did get repetitive with the same gags covered multiple times by Mio beating up on Torou is simular fashions quite a bit. Also there were some sequences that did not seem to fit at all in the universe of the story, especially concerning the inventions of Noa. It goes from one moment everything seems completely plausible in our world and then, blam, we have things that would never happen in a million years. It just seems a bit inconsistent in that department. But MM! pretty much had a funny, creative, and interesting story.

-Animation-

Most of the time the animation in MM! was pretty good. I felt that they nailed some of the action sequences pretty well. One thing that annoyed me though was the use of stills from time to time. It didn't happen a whole lot, but it was noticable when it did, and that slightly irritates me.

-Characters-

The Characters are very entertaining to watch in MM!. The characters are vivid and the situations they get into sparks laughter. My only major complaint was Noa. I feel that her character is completely unneeded in telling the story, plus she was also pretty one dimensional after her first appearance with the only thing keeping her in the picture was her one-sided love for Torou. Mio perfectly nailed the Tsudere role, and made it interesting to watch while preventing her from being a total bitch. Yuuno and Torou's relationship was something that I have seen before, but it was still fresh. One more thing that I didn't like however was that it seemed that everyone had a troubled past of fetish, so whenever you meet a new character, you automatically think about what fetish or Issue does that person have.

-Overall-

I rather liked MM! and felt that it was able to pull off being a Harem styled anime without following all of the stupid cliches that follow that style of anime. I would recommend it.

7.5/10 characters