Mirai Nikki TV

Alt titles: Future Diary TV, The Future Diary TV

FullmetalCowboy24's avatar By on Feb 14, 2015

Critic’s Diary - Earthdate: February 14, 2015. Review #93: The Future Diary

People assume that time is a straight progression of cause to effect, but actually. From a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it’s more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff. This anime is nothing like Doctor Who, Here’s The Future Diary!

Yukiteru Amano is a loner who never really interacts with people and prefers writing a diary on his cell phone with his only companion being an imaginary friend named Deus Ex Machina, the God of Time and Space. However, Yuki soon learns that Deus is not a figment of his imagination when Deus makes him a participant in a Survival Game with other contestants, the participants are given special diaries that can predict the future with each diary having unique abilities that gives them both advantages and disadvantages.

The Future Diary is animated by Asread and I have to be honest here. The animation is a mixed bag. The Character designs are ok I guess The 3D Animation shortcuts look awful and the movements can look a bit cheap at times. When the plot goes balls to the wall, the animation sometimes has its highlights. the animation will vary your mileage. Asread has not done a whole lot over the years as a studio and I can’t really say that Future Diary is their best show since… one, I have not seen a lot of their animation productions, and two… I stated before in my opinion that the animation is a mixed bag. However, there is a highlight... The First opening.

Now I usually mention the soundtrack first before mentioning the opening and closing themes, a but The Future Diary is an exception. Most of you may find the first opening to be a highlight in the soundtrack and I would agree. It is pretty catchy. The first closing “Blood Teller” Is alright, but I sometimes skip the closing since it really doesn’t click for me. Halfway through the show, Future Diary just happened to replace its catchy first opening with a second opening and I didn’t like it as much, that and the song “Dead END” was pretty average at best for an opening. As for the second closing “Filament”. I found myself skipping it after seeing it after a few episodes. I didn’t like it that much. So...How does the soundtrack fare out. It sounded pretty average. I can’t think of one theme that is worth listening to outside the show except for the first opening.

The Japanese casting is pretty average. Misuzu Togashi as Yuki may not be your cup of tea but it’s a fitting voice considering the character. Tomosa Murata is okay as Yuno but I don’t have much to add on that. I will give Future Diary some credit on the side of the Japanese casting for actually having a few seiyus that are not big names. However, there are some notable seiyus that did get to play a part here. Akira Ishida is fine as Akise and this anime also has Norio Wakamoto in it too, and he’s listenable here too like most roles he has had. I don’t have much to say about the Japanese Cast but I do have quite more to say about the English Dub of Future Diary. The adaptive script took major liberties with the original dialogue and I am totally okay with the adaptive script as is because not much of the context is lost in translation. As for the performances *sigh* I thougth Josh Grelle was the lowlight of the dub. This is because the original character intent of Yuki felt reduced. This is similar to his role as Armin in Attack on Titan except he played the part while the adaptive script of Attack on Titan kept most of the original character intent of Armin faithful. In regards to Future Diary, I did not care much for Josh Grelle’s performance as Yuki. Brina Palencia is not a bad voice actress but I think Tomosa Murata does Yuno better. Interestingly enough, Yuno was not tinkered around much in terms of the adaptive script . There are some noteworthy voice actors in the dub such as Kent Williams who is decent here and there’s Todd Haberkorn. I will admit that I think he’s the highlight of the dub but in all fairness. Like the Subbed Version, I do feel that the Dub is average as well. But because of the main leads in the dub, I do prefer the Subbed Version on this one but the dub really isn’t absolute shit, it’s just not one of Funimation’s strongest dubs since some casting choices were hit or miss, and Zach Bolton was responsible for ADR Direction here and it seems he has average dubs in his resume but Soul Eater is perhaps the best he has done with ADR Direction. Future Diary could have been fixed in a few areas if it could but it is what it is.

The characters in Future Diary are an interesting case but first… I would like to address that I do not like Yuki. he’s a pussy. Sure, I understand the fear he goes through during this whole Survival Game, but he takes a while to get used to. Oh and as development goes, it’s not convincing. Yuno is… well...I don’t want to bring her up. The one decency in this show is that there are a variety of characters which most of them are the participants of the Survival Game. most of the participants has their own backstory, ideals, and goals and these characters did make the ride watchable. However, the characters are one of the things that makes Future Diary a bit predictable and this is after a few instances with the Diary Users. Then there’s Minene Uryuu. She is actually one character I had no major issues with. Oh, and Deus Ex Machina…Where do I begin with this guy? Oh, I don’t know… His full name doesn’t make sense!, I think a simple Deus would suffice. I do have a problem with the characters as a whole in this show but it’s not the majority of characters’ fault. Oh no, This brings up the major problem I have with Future Diary.

I could not take the plot seriously and here’s why. The setup of the first episode was unplausible and when the plot goes full circle, it does not explain everything and there are some things that never get explained, leaving some plot holes that time and space cannot be altered to fix them. The Cell Phone “Diaries” are a bizarre plot device but assuming a god of time and space could make it possible, I suppose it makes sense, right? Oh who am I kidding. Some of the shit that this anime has makes no sense. Fortunately, this anime wasn’t too boring and to be honest. I actually enjoyed it to a degree despite the completely implausible plot. But there are some moments that really come in at the wrong time. From what I can tell you without spoiling anything is that when something bad happens. there was one time where an instance of that came along and the following episode starts off with something attempting to be funny. I am actually not joking about that. This kind of directing will induce slapping or at least thoughts of such a thing and Naoto Hosoda should have known better. Oh but the bigger problem is that this show has a “DEAD END”, since the show is implausible with no direction. I was not surprised that the ending wouldn’t redeem the show by any stretch of the imagination and it’s a clusterfuck.

The Future Diary is available by Funimation. The Future Diary: Redial OVA was never licensed which means...no dub has been made for it. It is currently unlicensed which is a shame. The manga of the same name written by Sakae Esuno is available by Viz Media after Tokyopop went under.

With everything said and done, The Future Diary was an amusing series with or without direction but it ends up being not as fun later on and it gets to a dead end. And  I don’t regret using that pun. It’s animation is a mixed bag, the soundtrack is average, the characters are what made this amusing at first but the story is a complete bloody mess.

That being said, I give The Future Diary a 4 out of 10, it is NOT REALLY GOOD!

Feel free to leave a comment.

Critic’s Diary - Earthdate: February 14, 2015. Supplemental Review: Future Diary: Redial.

The Future Diary: Redial OVA is actually made as an epilogue to the show which was left open. The animation looks somewhat improved, nothing’s different with the characters or the soundtrack. The plot to Future Diary: Redial is also implausible and I don’t care to explain it because I did not like the epilogue’s ending to it either and I’m glad i’m done with it.

2.6/10 story
6.5/10 animation
6.1/10 sound
4.5/10 characters
Biozap's avatar By on Nov 6, 2013

(Synopsis) Amano Yukiteru is a bit of an outcast. He was seen as a weirdo with no friends, who did nothing but type in his cellphone all day. Yukiteru kept a phone in his diary, detailing his daily choices and his surroundings. One day, after talking with his imaginary friend, he notices that his phone is filled with diary entries -- from the future. He is thrown into a survival game with eleven other people, and whoever is the last one standing becomes the new Lord of Time.

Mirai Nikki started off well enough. The story stayed interesting most of the way through, with a few twists here and there. However, toward the end the story got cloudy. There was so many ways available for the story to go, but it seemed to go where no one would expect it to.. Which, in this case, was not a good thing. The animation was alright, though there was nothing exceptional about it. The music was slightly repetetive, though it often set the mood well. The majority of the characters were adequately developed, but the main character seemed too indecisive and fickle to feel realistic. He was swayed easily, in such ways that seemed like they were only to progress the story.

Overall, Mirai Nikki was a rather enjoyable anime, though there were many minor changes that could have made it better. The ending took away from the charm of the anime, but it's not like the story was truly exceptional to begin with. The wishy-washy characters, slightly-forced story progression, and unremarkable animation land this anime with a 6.8.

6.5/10 story
6.5/10 animation
7.5/10 sound
6.8/10 overall
Shinjiru's avatar By on Aug 22, 2013

I personally expected Mirai Nikki to end up way different... in the last few episodes the series had a surprising plot and I definitely didn't expect it. The end was very open and vague. The plot itself was very good, had the right amounts of survival horror, action and science fiction, and romance!

9.5/10 sound
juniorakakpo's avatar By on Mar 13, 2012

i only watched 2 episodes will watch more but the story is great and the main character the guy some times he cries ppl call him a pussy in the comments but who wudn't if 10 ppl are after your life and you just killed a man who was trying to kill you i mean come on but he is like if i want to have my selfrespect ive gotta do it i mean he does it so its great anime little trhilling so watching if you like thrilling animes

Tinydestiny's avatar By on May 4, 2012

Did you think Mirai Nikki was good? Do you think it's going to be a good watch? If one of these are true then please heed my words.

This anime takes a massive runny diarrhea crap on your expectations. The diarrhea is so runny it's pouring over your expectations. And the worst part is: you don't even know it.

It's a tragic trick. It's a trick that pisses me off to the core and the trick f*cks with everyone, giving it an unbelievable amount of undeserved credit. The trick is to make you "fall in love" with the first episodes and god DAMN I swear 90% of the "good" new animes now a days do this. It's not the kind of love where you think "this is a good anime" however, but the kind of love when you spend almost every day of the week waiting for the next episode. By making you fall in love with it so hard, the creators use your naive love to their advantage and exploit that love until the bitter end when you finally realize your love was a mistake. You wish you could reject your premature love and take back all the time you spent because of your naivety, but the harsh truth will always be out there, the writers cheated on your expectations and got away with it for most of you!

Well, I guess this is only MY opinion, but I'll be damned if I'm wrong. It's the only way I can explain how it reached the top 86 rated animes on here.  I only managed to keep going because I, like many other fools, fell in love with it the first episodes. I was extremely happy (and I know I'm not the only one) to have a dark psychological mind game involving a pathetic character and a psycho bitch. SO much potential, so much room for development and interesting plots. But no. I kept the illusion that it was a great show until the end when I finally was able to snap out of it and realized it was absolute crap and a mass of ruined epic anime potential. It was beautiful and magnificent on the outside, but the inside was hollow, dull, and disappointing.