AnimesBae's avatar By on Aug 26, 2015

Mirai Nikki was pretty decent for me. There were some good things about it, but there were also some bad things.

The story was very original, and one of my favorite assets of the show. It's about a guy named Yukiteru Amano who is so busy writing a diary of his observations of everything around him on his cell phone, that he has no social life whatsoever. However, he does have "imaginary friends." He soon discovers that his imaginary friends are actually real and is requested by them to be a part of a "survival game." He must use information he recieves every ten minutes on his cell phone called a "diary" to kill the other Diary owners. They each have different Diaries. For example, Yukiteru (Yukki) has the Random Diary, which provides him with random information on his surroundings every ten minutes. The goal is to kill the others off, and the last survivor becomes the new God of Time and Space.

Sounds pretty exciting, right? I think so too. I thought it was very creative and interesting, and also very original.

Ah, the animation. I thought it was pretty decent. It wasn't really pretty or alluring, but it worked for the show.

The soundtrack was really good, I might say. The voice actors were also decent. The opening and ending songs were great as well.

Oh my, the characters. Most of them were fantastic, in my opinion. The character depth and development for these characters was simply wonderful. I would like you to see for yourself.

Personally, I really enjoyed this show, and I recommend it wholeheartedly. However, there were some things about it that were not the best. One or two characters were kind of annoying in my opinion, I found the ending to be utter shit, and there were several huge plotholes. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it and I really felt for a lot of the characters. If you decide to watch/read it, then I do hope you enjoy.

9.6/10 story
6.1/10 animation
8.5/10 sound
9.5/10 characters
x9zachattack5x's avatar By on Aug 24, 2015

My favorite show yet to date. The story is awesome and you never know what's coming next. The character development is fantastic. This is a must watch if you're an action-loving Anime watcher!

Minene Uryuu (9th) is my favorite character!

deideiblueeyez's avatar By on Aug 22, 2015

(This will not be a completely comprehensive review)

This is an anime that you either love for its psychological, Battle Royale components and varied characters or one that you dismiss because it rubs you the wrong way, as it did for me originally.

I read Deadman Wonderland before ever getting involved in Future Diary as a series and perhaps because an upperclassman I hated claimed this was better than DW, I brushed this series off as "Well, he totally dismissed my love for DW, so he can go fuck himself. What's so great about Future Diary anyway?"

Indeed, I found quite a few parallels between Deadman Wonderland and Future Diary, and more recently, Tokyo Ghoul, since all three feature a wimpy protagonist that somehow gets thrown into some deep shit and is barely managing to survive without extensive help from the people around him, before he finally gets some stones and fights back.

Anyway, the anime progresses in an interesting way as Yuki is at first the loner average joe who gets in way over his head and is dragged along by Yuno in order to survive and reluctantly take out other diary users or simply avoid getting killed. As time goes on and the number of players dwindle, the pressure becomes heavier and the enigmatic Yuno comes under suspicion by not only Yuki, but his non-player friends as well, which puts the squeeze on Yuno herself, which results in many tense moments.

The series portrays Yuno in such a way that you honestly don't freaking know what the hell she'll do next. Anything, even if it is not a threat, is liable to be cut down by her. She is the walking trope of "Anyone Can Die" because she's the one who makes it happen.

By the time the series is 3/4ths or perhaps 4/5ths of the way done, Yuki has turned on his head and is a man on a mission to beat the game and become God in order to turn back time to fix every mistake that had happened along the way, among other things. His new attitude adjustment quickly sinks him into Anti-Hero status, while Minene interestingly enough is elevated to Anti-Villain status and eventually Anti-Hero.

It's an interesting anime, to say the least.

The ending is bittersweet, but mostly on the sweet side as it compiles the best happy ending for the cast that is possible. It is very interesting to see how a few tweaks to a timeline and some interference from various all-powerful deities can make such a difference in many peoples' lives.

Despite the horrible things and the fact that everyone--with the exception of Mother who really doesn't want anything to do with the game--wants to kill everyone, it is difficult to be completely heartless and apathetic towards the suffering of some of the more conniving individuals. In reality almost none of them are out to get the others out of revenge or a grudge or malevolence but simply because they are tasked to do so and for some of them they just have no moral qualms about playing the game. Because of the general consensus towards amorality rather than immorality , it is hard to fault or hate anyone playing the game...with the exception of Yuno.

Because of that particular attitude I had with the series as it played out, I found the epilogue to be cathartic and well-deserved for the characters that suffered and bled in order to win. It was really the best end-game possible.

6.5/10 characters
PlatinumGirl's avatar By on Aug 20, 2015

My only complain; though is a small one, is that there was to much blood and killing. But since I'm very sensible compared to the rest of people about this stuff, it was fine. The story had humor, emotions, surprises, questions and answers. The characters were good, insane or both. When I was watching the last episode (SPOILER ALERT!!!) I was expecting an bittersweet end, and of curse it was. What kind of anime hasn't one? Although they leave space for a sequel. But I think Yukki III and Yuno III might meet (not that I'm not aware that the OVA is already out, but I finished watching it today) and Yukki the god might enjoy and ship their relationship (just like I do!).

9.8/10 overall
Paulthekeykeeper's avatar By on Aug 18, 2015

I started watching this because a friend recommended it to me. I regret my decision. I guess I'm just not the audience for this mess and waste of time. Let's break it down shall we?

The main story as many others have already stated is that Deus Ex Machina is dying and he needs a successor so he hosts a survival game and gives every player the ability to percieve future events. This seems interesting at first  but then you watch the series to find that they screwed up every single bit of potential. Who cares about the world ending when you can have sex am i right? No, seriously the plot in the final act literally turns into a crazy girl's quest to have sex.

This is the worst piece of animaion I've ever laid my eyes on (except for the two openings). I've seen better on cheaply made Newgrounds animations, heck I've made better in Flash when I was 9. The backgrounds look like they were made in MS Paint, everything is stiff and the characters look like stolen assets. The only exception to this is the main character Gasai Yuno who I'll go into detail soon who, as far as I know, looks completely new.

The characters, if you can even call them that, are cardboard cutouts of selfish dicks. Nearly all of them are Mary-Sue's as well. There is absolutely no character development whatsover and when your main characters are a whiny little kid and a phycotic girl whose only motivation is to have sex with whiny little kid, you have really terrible main characters. This would have been fine if they were expanded upon and changed but no, they're the excact same from start to finish. This show has too much characters to talk about all of them but let it be known that whiny little kid's father, who only appears for one(?) episode is only there because the studio probably didn't know which character to shove in to do what he did.

To end off, if you have a working brain, please stay away from this and from what I understand from the research I've done, most people only like this because it was their first anime or they don't care about what makes good entertainment and only want mindless action and fanservice.

4.5/10 overall