SOLSupporter's avatar
Aug 27, 2016

This is a review of Mirai Nikki TV/The Future Diary TV anime. This review has no spoilers; I will try my best to keep the inner plot points secretive.

I am a big fan of psychological/metaphysical/gore anime. So naturally, I really enjoyed Mirai Nikki. Does this mean I am a little biased? Probably. But, as a reviewer, I will not refuse to hamper on some the problems of this anime.

The story is just magnificient. This is the type of anime with a very convuluted plot, more loosely wrapped than a ball of yarn, so expect plenty of surprises if you have had no exposure to the story or any of its plot points. I would compare the story's complicated nature with Madoka Magica, or with other such anime that cause your brain to feel like it is consuming itself. But on a basic level, the story follows Yukitero Amano (referred to as Yuki mostly), who receives a phone that can predict the future. A odd girl named Yuno Gasai (just as Yuno mostly) is also a owner of such a phone, but it has the trait of stalking specifically Yuki. So, there ends up being 12 total "Diary Holders", who are caught up in a enormous rat race to see who can be the next God of causality, after a god named Deus Ex Machina dies. So, all the holders, Yuki and Yuno, and even more characters duke it out until the bitter end.
         But you see, it is the way that the plot is executed that makes this anime's story so excellent. There will be many flashback and revelation moments, and even some sleuthing from some characters for clues on the mysteriousness of the overall death game situation. That, and if Deus Ex Machina dies, the world will cease to exist, so there is a strong apoctalyphic scenario boiling behind this anime's surface. But if you were to want to look at this anime's story in a simpler way, you will either watch it for the death game scenario, or for the characters and their interactions. This anime does a good job, though not perfect job, at covering both.

It has to be addressed; this amine is not for the weak of heart. It is at times incredibly violent, gory, and vulgar in its rawness. It might just be from Japan, but nudity is not unusual either. Strong moral-ethical elements, like abuse for example, are included for shock factor and for a more intriguing narrative. In other words, this anime can sometimes be a rough watch. But, if you have a wanton desire for gore and explicit action in more of a horror context, then this anime is for you.

Characters do not need to be touched on too much for this review, but one theme of their interactions does. Romance is the driving factor of this anime, even though it is definately not a romance genre anime per se. A lot of things will be driven by a mad motivation to love. But, the writers did an excellent job of incorporating many more elements to give a diverse experience.

But no means is it a perfect anime. There are plot devices, "wtf" moments, and other instances that sometimes might not seem to make sense. But a good majority of the time, they do make sense, and when they do they will make you mind squirm with realization. Animation quality is above average, with attractive coloration and smooth frames. At times, it is an oddly beautiful anime. Sound is sort of average though. There is a certain track for dangerous situations that you will quickly tire of. But at least the voice acting is good; admittedly, I saw the Future Diary English dub, so someday I will need to check out the Japanese. The Sub versions seem to have better voice acting than the English ones do.

Overall, Mirai Nikki is a superbly done anime. It does much more right than it does wrong, and if it makes your stomach curdle, it has succeeded at its horror mission. Sometimes the characters or plot can be shallow, but the overall story is very smart and well-executed. I watched it; it meat my expectations, exceeded some, and impressed me in ways I originally would have not thought of.

8.5/10 animation
8.7/10 characters
8.3/10 overall
SkullDust1954's avatar
Aug 4, 2016

I loved this anime. It is one of my favourites, tied with Death Note and Kuroshitsuji. The storyline is amazing. Most of the characters are extremely well-developed, going into their dreary pasts. It is extremely violent, but the violence corresponds with the storyline and isn't just thrown in there. This is a plus for me, since I appreciate violent series. It put me through a rollercoaster, killing off one favourite character after the next in the most gruesome ways possible. This anime takes huge twist towards the end, changing the atmosphere of the anime completely. I didn't necessarily like the change, since it lightened the dark series I'd come to love.

As a naturally morbid person, I found myself cheering for characters when they started killing people or defending themselves, because I was so into the show. I did root for a lot of people to die, encouraging other characters to kill them when they had the chance. It was kind of like watching a very deadly sport. You choose your favourite team, and they either win or get eliminated. That may sound demented, but this is a demented show. Again, the ending was a bit cheery, but besides that, I found this to be a delightfully dark, twisted, and violent anime.

zosyn's avatar
Jul 20, 2016

I've never been so disinterested watching an anime in my whole life. Afar from the bad character development and overall interactions between them, the whole show just felt unrealistic and unauthentic to me. One of those examples Is the death occurance of Yuki's loved ones and major characters around him following the raction to their deaths. The whole execution of scenes was just awful. I'm not even gonna get into personality of the characters which left me with a massive headache.

For me,the only highlight of the show was when Akise kissed Yuki tbh.There are a few characters which had interesting characteristics and backgrounds in my opinion but that was washed away with the dumb storyline.

Overall the plot of the show is very interesting. Thats the only reason I'm giving it a 2 out of 10.

Bloomster's avatar
Jul 13, 2016

My anime reviews are always simple, short and straight-forward and is 100% spoilers-free.

Genres: Action, Drama, Horror, Mystery, Psychological, Romane, Shounen, Supernatural, Thriller

Additional Info: You know what happens when anime makes time as their playground, right?

Ending Rating: 95%

Short Review:

Mirai Nikki or The Future Diary is a masterpiece. The action, drama, horror, mystery, romance are all blended into a single entity. Mirai Nikki takes the the horror and psychological genres into a whole new level. Mirai Nikki is worth your time, patience, electric bills, laptop batteries and your brain cells. Make sure that your brain are still intact and still sane after watching such insanity and epic wooping action scenes.

exezz's avatar
Jul 10, 2016

I don't even know what exactly made me watch this series. It was fresh shit back then and submitted description was giving me idea its some high school romance with some diaries involved. I was thinking not bad, I want to watch some easy stuff. OH HELL I NEVER BEEN SO WRONG. Although I was seeking completelly different genre, I was absorbed by bestiality of this series. After I finished watching I couldnt help it and went to read the rest of story, because series is pretty much cut before anything gets propperly settled. Nikki Mirai series makes me wonder why mindfuck is not a legit genre yet. I do not want to spoil and to talk in general about this series is not going to give you any other impression than its some generic nonsence. Manga explains every damn thing and it will leave you breathless.