Mirai Nikki TV

Alt titles: Future Diary TV, The Future Diary TV

DreadNaught1's avatar By DreadNaught1 on May 9, 2013

This anime isn't that bad but heres the problem at least for me, is the male lead character named yuki who is so weak and just all around pathetic he will only be referred to as yamcha from now on.

The story and plot for Mirai Nikki aren't bad, I rather like the plot, which is based off of a bunch of people who record the world around them in some manner and now are thrown into a game created by the god of time, in which now their method of record keeping now holds records of the future. This is interesting because they can use this information to effectively go after each other and counter one another, all for the goal of being the only one left and becoming the new god of time.

The characters in general aren't bad but i wish they had a more varied range, because it seems like each one is just so crazy. So i just wish there was just a mix of people from normal to the crazy, because it would have been interesting to see some take part, some get dragged in, and like 1 or something just fight against the game. But i guess the ultimate form of weakness that is yamcha balances it kinda.

Now for those that don't get why i don't like the main character, it's because yamcha just breaks down and crys allong with a lot of panicing. Now I can understand having a character panic and freck out at the start, but yamcha crys, panics, does everything wrong and is just useless the entire series. This character is without a doubt the worst one i've ran into in the 100+ anime i've watched, so much so yamcha really does ruin this anime to quite a extent.

But other than the black of hole fail, the other characters are fine for the most part and they all develop enough to make you hate them or like them as well and understand why they are the way they are.

Everything else such as the animation and sound quality are good, and the action is good to thou they censored a lot of the gore whcih is kinda weird mainly because I rarely run into anime with a lot of censoring on the gore (pixel coverings).

Overall it's good nothing really bad about it this anime, the only real problem is they made the main character so bad that you will most likely wish for yamcha to die or just be pissed of at his existance. It's sad because this could have been pretty good, but if you hate yamcha class characters in major roles in anime, you should skip this one other wise give it a go.

tinytine's avatar By tinytine on Apr 18, 2012

I have to say, its been a while since I've seen an anime like this, with the amount of new animes its very hard not to end up being a cliche. So I think some credit has to be given to originality factor of this anime, although it does remind me of Eden of the East, with the whole Cellphone and Survial game etc, but I think they tried their best to keep it different.

Personally I'm not one for gore and bloody violent anime but due to the plot I just had to finish it.

The characters are all pretty average with the exception of Yuno.. probably the perfect description of a Yandere type person. She (although freakishly disturbing sometimes) but kept me entertained.

I am aware of the Manga and anime ending controversy where one had a happy ending and one doesn't, personally after seeing both I have to say that the anime ending was my perference. The manga ending seemed to far fetched and an anime like this would be much more memorable with a suspense ending.

Anyways overall, not the best movie I've ever seen and personally think too more unecessary violence and gore but then again. its just my opinion. But at the end of the day I would recommend it because I think it is quite unique.

8.6/10 overall
InstantReplay's avatar By InstantReplay on Jun 8, 2013

Before you read what I hate to say about this show, please read what I have to say about reviews. A good review critiques the show on an objective level and determines whether a show has the characteristics that deem a show good or bad. Just because a show is "bad" or "good" doesn't mean a person is incapable of enjoying it. Please understand that if you enjoyed Mirai Nikki TV, I will not attack you in this review. Thanks for reading ^_^

Normally I don't like to write a review of an anime before seeing the whole thing, but for this show I had to make an exception. If you haven't watched the show, then here is some background info that I will refer to.

"Yuki is a disaffected middle school boy who has no dreams or goals in life; in fact, the only thing he has is his diary. Writing down everything he observes and documenting every thought, the young boy uses it as an outlet for his imagination. One morning, however, Yuki wakes up to find his cell phone filled with diary entries for the next ninety days. Thinking nothing of it, he continues his morning until he begins to realize that everything on his phone is rapidly coming to pass, and it isn't just mere coincidence. Now, Yuki suddenly finds himself thrust into a survival game against other future diary owners to become the new Lord of Time"

There are numerous problems with this show, so many that I could easily write a 10 page essay. But I'm going to try to keep it short and stick to some of the major problems. The problems I will be discussingare the tone, background/setting, pace, and characters. I'll start with characters.

I haven't seen enough of the show to determine whether the characters are shallow or not, so I won't be discussing that. What I will be talking about is the blatant stupidity of the charcters; its almost like the characters are using horror movie logic. Let me give you some examples. After a terrorist tried to kill Yuno and Yukiteru by blowing up half a high school (along with a good number of the students). Kurusu says he doesn't want anyone else to die from the survival game. So what does he do? He uses Yuno and Yukitera as bait and sends them to a crowded amusement park. I could understand using them as bait since their diaries work together, but why would you send them to a crowded amusement park? On top of that, no one seems to question Kurusu's decision! I will acknowledge that Kurusu seemed confident that the terrorist wouldn't show up, but that doesn't mean one of the other diary owners wouldn't! Another example of poor character decision is when the terrorist is trying to kill Yuno and Yuki with explosives (the terrorist planted explosives all throughout the school and has remote detonators). As Yuno and Yuki are hiding in the rubble of one of their classrooms, they come to the decision that the two of them should make their way over to the other students who are alive, explain to them the whole diary survival game, and then ask them for help. Stop. Think about that decision for a second. If you someone was trying to kill you with large amounts of explosives, would you go to a crowded area? I would like to point out that moments ago, the terrorist blew up half the school just to get everyone's attention, so she isn't messing around.

Background

By background, I literally mean what’s going on in the background. As my friend put it, the show literally feels like it splits off into a different world, and not in a good way. It’s like the characters will suddenly separate from the world they are in and nothing that is happening around them will affect them. One situation that comes to mind is in the fourth episode when the fire breaks out in the cage. Yukiteru is sitting next to the cage while Kurusu (a police officer) and Yuno are standing by the door when the fire breaks out. People who are obviously brainwashed charge into the room and start killing each other. Amidst the chaos, Yukitera rushes to let Tsubaka out but is stopped by Yuno who warns him not to help her. The two proceed to have a conversation for roughly 40 seconds. During the conversation, people are shown hacking each other apart with axes no more than 10 feet away and you can hear their screams (which are toned down so you can focus on the conversation). The characters don’t react to what’s going on around them. It’s like they don’t even notice that people are killing each other while they are talking. The actions and words of the characters don’t match the situations they are in. While Yuno and Yukiteru are having their conversation, there is another huge problem; Tsubaki isn’t screaming for her life. We don’t hear one peep from her once the fire breaks out. You could argue that her screaming would have distracted the viewer from the conversation, but I whole heartedly disagree. If done right, her screams could have added to the tension in the scene by reminding the viewer that someone’s life is at stake. This is what I mean when I say that its like the characters are in a different world. It's almost like they have been completely removed from the world they are in.

Tone

What is tone? Well tone is how a movie feels. Generally speaking, you shouldn't break the tone, you transition. What do I mean? I mean that you can't make a rape scene and then suddenly throw in some weird slap stick comedy in the middle of it. Why? Because it takes away impact and emotion depth. So now that you have an idea of what tone is, let me explain where Mirrai Nikki has problems.

Throughout the show, Mirrai Nikki goes back and forth between weird slapstick comedy to extremely dark and seirous, which, in my opinion, is one of the most glaring problems. Episode 5 is probably the biggest problem child in the series. If you haven't seen the show, let me tell you what happens. You learn that one of the diary owners was gangraped at a youngage at is still repeadedly gangraped. They show several graphic depictions of rape (almost as graphic as Girl with the Dragon Tatoo), throughout the episode at least 4 times. Yet at the same time, this episode also has numerous instances of bizarre slap stick comedy that border on the absurd. They even make fun of the power rangers at one point. I shit you not, (without going into too much detail) a group of people in costumes that were merely different colors showed up and did some weird power rangers like entry. 30 seconds later, one of the diary owners reveals her true, and evil, intentions, so Yuno attacks her and cuts her hand off with an axe. I couldn't believe what I was watching.

Thoughts so far

Mirai Nikki is far from perfect. Some people will like Mirai Nikki TV (especially Yuno Gasai and her yandere antics). If you're willing to overlook the absurd tone and other problems then give it a try. If you like the first two episodes, then you'll probably enjoy the rest of the series.

Im still working on the show so I'll update this review later on.

Vinny66's avatar By Vinny66 on Jul 21, 2014

This anime is god dam perfection, it moved me in such a way I became a different person overnight, the characters are loveable and always kept me on my feet. After finishing it within the day, it was about 5:00ish AM and I had a breakdown because it was so great, plus it did not have a second season which just killed me inside. I recently watched the Redial OVA but I wish I had seen it right after the anime because I felt empty inside, Some people may not feel the same way I did about the show but it is the best anime I have seen in my entire life.

Tinydestiny's avatar By Tinydestiny on May 4, 2012

Did you think Mirai Nikki was good? Do you think it's going to be a good watch? If one of these are true then please heed my words.

This anime takes a massive runny diarrhea crap on your expectations. The diarrhea is so runny it's pouring over your expectations. And the worst part is: you don't even know it.

It's a tragic trick. It's a trick that pisses me off to the core and the trick f*cks with everyone, giving it an unbelievable amount of undeserved credit. The trick is to make you "fall in love" with the first episodes and god DAMN I swear 90% of the "good" new animes now a days do this. It's not the kind of love where you think "this is a good anime" however, but the kind of love when you spend almost every day of the week waiting for the next episode. By making you fall in love with it so hard, the creators use your naive love to their advantage and exploit that love until the bitter end when you finally realize your love was a mistake. You wish you could reject your premature love and take back all the time you spent because of your naivety, but the harsh truth will always be out there, the writers cheated on your expectations and got away with it for most of you!

Well, I guess this is only MY opinion, but I'll be damned if I'm wrong. It's the only way I can explain how it reached the top 86 rated animes on here.  I only managed to keep going because I, like many other fools, fell in love with it the first episodes. I was extremely happy (and I know I'm not the only one) to have a dark psychological mind game involving a pathetic character and a psycho bitch. SO much potential, so much room for development and interesting plots. But no. I kept the illusion that it was a great show until the end when I finally was able to snap out of it and realized it was absolute crap and a mass of ruined epic anime potential. It was beautiful and magnificent on the outside, but the inside was hollow, dull, and disappointing.