WolfAngelus's avatar By on Dec 6, 2015

If you like dark/violent animes, this one is extremely good. It has quite the cast of characters each with a very unique style of fighting and appearance. There is also has a very large twist later in the story. It comes off as a simple concept at first with events being played out based on what is written on each persons diary (phone). The constant changes turn it from being predictable to resulting in something completely unexpected. This is what makes the anime so addictive as you constantly wonder what happens next and have to watch "just one more episode" over and over.

There is somewhat of a lack of dark/horror type animes so this one is very welcome and falls into the very top picks of these types. There is nothing I would change to this anime or ask to be different. It is indeed quite unique and there is nothing too similar as this anime plays out as a very dark game.

charvisioku's avatar By on Jun 18, 2014

The basic gist of Mirai Nikki is that God (or Deus) is dying and he needs to choose a successor; to do this he chooses a group of people and gives them 'future diaries' which hold various different properties (e.g. Random Diary; Investigation Diary; Picture Diary...). He then gathers them together and informs them that they are involved in a sort of Battle Royale in which the last survivor will take all and become the new God.

Although this sort of storyline is fairly popular and has been done before (Battle Royale, Hunger Games...), Mirai Nikki adds a certain flair to the whole formula. As well as being an action-packed emotional rollercoaster with great psychological tension and some big plot twists along the way, it's also a Romeo and Juliet style love story in that Yukki and Yuno aren't really supposed to be fraternizing because one's always going to have to kill the other eventually. Unlike a lot of more mainstream animes, Mirai Nikki isn't afraid to slaughter your favourite character after lulling you into a false sense of security, and the knowledge that characters can actually stay dead (unlike D. Gray Man, for example) does make the whole story feel a lot faster-paced and more interesting.

It's definitely worth a watch just for the story, especially if (like me) you love action and psychological thrillers. This is one of the better anime love stories I've seen as well - although they're extreme, the characters still seem somehow more human than your usual "Oh god she's wearing a short skirt I'll get a nose bleed and never talk to her other than when I bump into her and make her drop all of her stuff" rubbish.

I didn't see the end coming, and I'd advise paying attention to who's who and what happens with each person, because although it's not TOO confusing, I did have a bit of trouble keeping track of what the hell was happening near to the end.

This is where (for me, at least) Mirai Nikki lets itself down a little. I like the essential art style and the colour schemes are nice (especially once Yukki loses that stupid hat); I found it very easy to watch for the most part and the artists have used shadowing and sillouhettes really well in some of the more threatening scenes.

However, there are some very dodgy attempts at 3D-style graphics in the scenes involving Deus - I feel like they should have just left out that whole aspect. I think I can see what they were trying to do - God is 3D whilst the ordinary world is 2D - but it just didn't seem very well-executed. Another issue I had was the clumsy attempts to censor serious injuries; I can't give many examples here without spoiling some of the story; at one point somebody gets stabbed and there's really blocky censorship fuzz over the wound, which just takes away any realism or brutality for me.

Overall, though, Mirai Nikki's animation is pretty good - those 2 issues are the only things that really bugged me whilst I was watching it. I particularly like the insane facial expressions some of the characters pull; if nothing else these writers and animators know exactly how to do 'nutcase'.

The voice acting for Yukki and Yuno was a bit off - I felt like I was watching a pair of really tall five year olds a lot of the time - but it wasn't unbearable by any means. Yuno's constant cries of "YUUUKKKIIIIII!!!" grated after a while and I really considered dropping the anime near to the middle because Yukki just kept wailing and screaming and crying all of the time, but he stopped doing it as much eventually.

The other characters all have good voice actors, and even Yuno and Yukki's actors were good - the annoying mannerisms and high pitched squeals did actually suit the characters' personalities down to the grouns. It was mainly just an issue with my personal tastes - I really don't like anime characters who could genuinely be mistaken for babies if you weren't looking at the screen.

A major good point for Mirai Nikki is the OT. Easily one of my all time favourite anime opening tracks (and the 2nd one is really good too) and the ending credit songs are also great. The 1st is the best in my opinion though... it really just captures the whole feel of the series. It sets the mood for a psychological thriller about such a twisted girl/relationship.

Character development was very good and I felt like I really understood the main characters once the anime was over. I grew very attached to Minene and Yuno; especially Minene. She was (weirdly) probably one of the more balanced characters in Mirai Nikki - she didn't have any specific obsessions, she was fairly a-moral and she had character depth and development all of the way through the series.

Yukki drove me absolutely insane until about the last 5 episodes or so, but I get the impression that's intentional. I did keep wondering what on earth was drawing Yuno to him so much though; the series does sort of explain the whole situation but I still just think "Why Yukki, really?".

Yuno was an incredibly difficult character to get my head around - I just couldn't decide if I loved her, hated her, pitied her or felt like she was just beyond help. Over time you do start to get your opinions a bit more defined but even now that I've finished the anime I still feel a little confused about whether that ending is good or another would have been better.

TL;DR

Mirai Nikki is a fast-paced psychological thriller which, if you're anything like me, will have you on the edge of your seat and not wanting to stop watching. There's a (twisted but still there) love story for those of you who like the emotional side of these stories and there's more than enough action to make up for it for those who don't. I would recommend this anime to most anime-watchers I know and I feel like it's a must-watch.

Reccs

*Death Note (this was the first anime that came to mind when I started watching Mirai Nikki. Gasai Yuno and Misa Amane bear more than a passing resemblance in their 'love' for Yukki and Light, and there's a running theme of wanting to become a God (albeit in different ways and for different purposes) which just makes these two anime series fit together for me)

*Boogiepop Phantom (although I don't think there are any direct links between these two, I felt like the atmosphere in Boogiepop was similarly dark to that of Mirai Nikki)

*C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control (although the players in this game fight with their minds, it still bears a decent enough resemblance to Mirai Nikki for people to enjoy them both)

8.5/10 story
PinkyIvan's avatar By on Sep 23, 2012

Well let us see, did I enjoy this anime? The answer is no, this is by far the worst anime I have ever seen. No other anime gets close to it.

The story revolves around Yuki and Yuno, 14 year olds who need to kill 10 (11) other people (all of which have diarys that tell them the future in different ways) to become god of time or something like that. Sound interesting? It sounded good to me. But then I watched the series, and I regret that. The plot is so badly written it is well a masterpiece in bad writing. The amount of plot holes is simply amazing, I was actually stunned. Since an essay could be written about the plot holes and I don’t want to bore you I will move on to the animation.

There is not much to say about the animation except the character design was terrible. That little god/moe/fat kid? Why does it exist? Well it’s there for the plot holes I think.

The sound…. People with accents as bad as that should be forbidden to sing songs in English. Seriously people if you have retarded accents don’t sing in English! Is that so hard? Also like everything about Yuki his voice was annoying as hell!

Well… Yuno was sometimes fun to watch. Everything else was just terrible! We have the fake terrorist who tries to kill a police officer twice and then marries him, we have the 5 year old who knows how to use gas masks and military poisons, we have the Nazi mayor, fake Kaworu who is here (unlike Kaworu) only for the yaoi flavor, Yuno, a stereotypical yandere who wants to have loads of sex and Yuki. He is THE WORST CHARACTER EVER MADE! He is like Shinji but without any sensible character development, any cool moment, lines, basicly anything cool. He is annoying in every way you look at him.

All in all I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone, unless I was trying to show him/her I hate him/her. DO NOT WATCH THIS ANIME! You have been warned!

For extra detail check out the video I linked on my profile!

2.5/10 overall
darkshit's avatar By on Apr 14, 2016

Best Anime Out there just go and watch this

Archys's avatar By on Apr 8, 2016

WARNING: This review contains spoilers

Mirai Nikki or, as as I like to call it, The Quest for Yukiteru’s Balls (Spoiler alert: he never really finds them) is like watching a car crash: it’s horrifying and yet you cannot help but stare in awe. I have no idea how I lasted 26 episodes but here I am. I started watching this show because a friend recommended it. He mentioned it in the same breath as ERASED though, and since I watched that one first, I had very different expectations on what Mirai Nikki was going to be. But even though it was a shock I clicked the next episode, and the next, and the next… all the while complaining about it to my friend. Every now and then he’d ask me: “BUT DO YOU LIKE IT???” and I’d say: “I DON’T KNOW???”, and honestly, I didn’t, but they must’ve been doing something right because I’d finished it in only a few days even though I did have classes and (contrary to popular belief) a social life to attend to.

First of all I must say I was very disappointed in July the 28<sup>th</sup>. I was absolutely convinced they misinterpreted and it wasn’t about having sex but about Yuno eating Yukiteru (I mean come on. “Yuki and I become one”? Isn’t this supposed to be a horror anime?). I thought it more believable than Yukiteru falling in love with his psycho-stalker anyway. Because who does that??? Beside him and Bella freaking Swan.

I don’t know whether I mostly liked or mostly disliked Yukiteru. I liked him because he was a coward and that’s pretty damn refreshing between all the “ok scary and shocking but I’m cool with it” anime heroes. It makes him a hell of a lot more realistic. I know I  would probably run and hide if all this shit happened to me. Also sometimes he’s incredibly cute.

awwww look at him!

But then he falls for his psycho-stalker and I want to slap some sense into him.

That aside, the general storyline was actually pretty good. It’s a great concept and the plottwist was surprising. I even teared up a little at some scenes.

I know I focused on the bad stuff but I really enjoyed this anime, even if it was just because it was absolutely ridiculous.