Mirai Nikki TV

Alt titles: Future Diary TV, The Future Diary TV

Shinjiru's avatar By on Aug 22, 2013

I personally expected Mirai Nikki to end up way different... in the last few episodes the series had a surprising plot and I definitely didn't expect it. The end was very open and vague. The plot itself was very good, had the right amounts of survival horror, action and science fiction, and romance!

9.5/10 sound
InstantReplay's avatar By on Jun 8, 2013

Before you read what I hate to say about this show, please read what I have to say about reviews. A good review critiques the show on an objective level and determines whether a show has the characteristics that deem a show good or bad. Just because a show is "bad" or "good" doesn't mean a person is incapable of enjoying it. Please understand that if you enjoyed Mirai Nikki TV, I will not attack you in this review. Thanks for reading ^_^

Normally I don't like to write a review of an anime before seeing the whole thing, but for this show I had to make an exception. If you haven't watched the show, then here is some background info that I will refer to.

"Yuki is a disaffected middle school boy who has no dreams or goals in life; in fact, the only thing he has is his diary. Writing down everything he observes and documenting every thought, the young boy uses it as an outlet for his imagination. One morning, however, Yuki wakes up to find his cell phone filled with diary entries for the next ninety days. Thinking nothing of it, he continues his morning until he begins to realize that everything on his phone is rapidly coming to pass, and it isn't just mere coincidence. Now, Yuki suddenly finds himself thrust into a survival game against other future diary owners to become the new Lord of Time"

There are numerous problems with this show, so many that I could easily write a 10 page essay. But I'm going to try to keep it short and stick to some of the major problems. The problems I will be discussingare the tone, background/setting, pace, and characters. I'll start with characters.

I haven't seen enough of the show to determine whether the characters are shallow or not, so I won't be discussing that. What I will be talking about is the blatant stupidity of the charcters; its almost like the characters are using horror movie logic. Let me give you some examples. After a terrorist tried to kill Yuno and Yukiteru by blowing up half a high school (along with a good number of the students). Kurusu says he doesn't want anyone else to die from the survival game. So what does he do? He uses Yuno and Yukitera as bait and sends them to a crowded amusement park. I could understand using them as bait since their diaries work together, but why would you send them to a crowded amusement park? On top of that, no one seems to question Kurusu's decision! I will acknowledge that Kurusu seemed confident that the terrorist wouldn't show up, but that doesn't mean one of the other diary owners wouldn't! Another example of poor character decision is when the terrorist is trying to kill Yuno and Yuki with explosives (the terrorist planted explosives all throughout the school and has remote detonators). As Yuno and Yuki are hiding in the rubble of one of their classrooms, they come to the decision that the two of them should make their way over to the other students who are alive, explain to them the whole diary survival game, and then ask them for help. Stop. Think about that decision for a second. If you someone was trying to kill you with large amounts of explosives, would you go to a crowded area? I would like to point out that moments ago, the terrorist blew up half the school just to get everyone's attention, so she isn't messing around.

Background

By background, I literally mean what’s going on in the background. As my friend put it, the show literally feels like it splits off into a different world, and not in a good way. It’s like the characters will suddenly separate from the world they are in and nothing that is happening around them will affect them. One situation that comes to mind is in the fourth episode when the fire breaks out in the cage. Yukiteru is sitting next to the cage while Kurusu (a police officer) and Yuno are standing by the door when the fire breaks out. People who are obviously brainwashed charge into the room and start killing each other. Amidst the chaos, Yukitera rushes to let Tsubaka out but is stopped by Yuno who warns him not to help her. The two proceed to have a conversation for roughly 40 seconds. During the conversation, people are shown hacking each other apart with axes no more than 10 feet away and you can hear their screams (which are toned down so you can focus on the conversation). The characters don’t react to what’s going on around them. It’s like they don’t even notice that people are killing each other while they are talking. The actions and words of the characters don’t match the situations they are in. While Yuno and Yukiteru are having their conversation, there is another huge problem; Tsubaki isn’t screaming for her life. We don’t hear one peep from her once the fire breaks out. You could argue that her screaming would have distracted the viewer from the conversation, but I whole heartedly disagree. If done right, her screams could have added to the tension in the scene by reminding the viewer that someone’s life is at stake. This is what I mean when I say that its like the characters are in a different world. It's almost like they have been completely removed from the world they are in.

Tone

What is tone? Well tone is how a movie feels. Generally speaking, you shouldn't break the tone, you transition. What do I mean? I mean that you can't make a rape scene and then suddenly throw in some weird slap stick comedy in the middle of it. Why? Because it takes away impact and emotion depth. So now that you have an idea of what tone is, let me explain where Mirrai Nikki has problems.

Throughout the show, Mirrai Nikki goes back and forth between weird slapstick comedy to extremely dark and seirous, which, in my opinion, is one of the most glaring problems. Episode 5 is probably the biggest problem child in the series. If you haven't seen the show, let me tell you what happens. You learn that one of the diary owners was gangraped at a youngage at is still repeadedly gangraped. They show several graphic depictions of rape (almost as graphic as Girl with the Dragon Tatoo), throughout the episode at least 4 times. Yet at the same time, this episode also has numerous instances of bizarre slap stick comedy that border on the absurd. They even make fun of the power rangers at one point. I shit you not, (without going into too much detail) a group of people in costumes that were merely different colors showed up and did some weird power rangers like entry. 30 seconds later, one of the diary owners reveals her true, and evil, intentions, so Yuno attacks her and cuts her hand off with an axe. I couldn't believe what I was watching.

Thoughts so far

Mirai Nikki is far from perfect. Some people will like Mirai Nikki TV (especially Yuno Gasai and her yandere antics). If you're willing to overlook the absurd tone and other problems then give it a try. If you like the first two episodes, then you'll probably enjoy the rest of the series.

Im still working on the show so I'll update this review later on.

DreadNaught1's avatar By on May 9, 2013

This anime isn't that bad but heres the problem at least for me, is the male lead character named yuki who is so weak and just all around pathetic he will only be referred to as yamcha from now on.

The story and plot for Mirai Nikki aren't bad, I rather like the plot, which is based off of a bunch of people who record the world around them in some manner and now are thrown into a game created by the god of time, in which now their method of record keeping now holds records of the future. This is interesting because they can use this information to effectively go after each other and counter one another, all for the goal of being the only one left and becoming the new god of time.

The characters in general aren't bad but i wish they had a more varied range, because it seems like each one is just so crazy. So i just wish there was just a mix of people from normal to the crazy, because it would have been interesting to see some take part, some get dragged in, and like 1 or something just fight against the game. But i guess the ultimate form of weakness that is yamcha balances it kinda.

Now for those that don't get why i don't like the main character, it's because yamcha just breaks down and crys allong with a lot of panicing. Now I can understand having a character panic and freck out at the start, but yamcha crys, panics, does everything wrong and is just useless the entire series. This character is without a doubt the worst one i've ran into in the 100+ anime i've watched, so much so yamcha really does ruin this anime to quite a extent.

But other than the black of hole fail, the other characters are fine for the most part and they all develop enough to make you hate them or like them as well and understand why they are the way they are.

Everything else such as the animation and sound quality are good, and the action is good to thou they censored a lot of the gore whcih is kinda weird mainly because I rarely run into anime with a lot of censoring on the gore (pixel coverings).

Overall it's good nothing really bad about it this anime, the only real problem is they made the main character so bad that you will most likely wish for yamcha to die or just be pissed of at his existance. It's sad because this could have been pretty good, but if you hate yamcha class characters in major roles in anime, you should skip this one other wise give it a go.

FullmetalCowboy24's avatar By on Feb 14, 2015

Critic’s Diary - Earthdate: February 14, 2015. Review #93: The Future Diary

People assume that time is a straight progression of cause to effect, but actually. From a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it’s more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff. This anime is nothing like Doctor Who, Here’s The Future Diary!

Yukiteru Amano is a loner who never really interacts with people and prefers writing a diary on his cell phone with his only companion being an imaginary friend named Deus Ex Machina, the God of Time and Space. However, Yuki soon learns that Deus is not a figment of his imagination when Deus makes him a participant in a Survival Game with other contestants, the participants are given special diaries that can predict the future with each diary having unique abilities that gives them both advantages and disadvantages.

The Future Diary is animated by Asread and I have to be honest here. The animation is a mixed bag. The Character designs are ok I guess The 3D Animation shortcuts look awful and the movements can look a bit cheap at times. When the plot goes balls to the wall, the animation sometimes has its highlights. the animation will vary your mileage. Asread has not done a whole lot over the years as a studio and I can’t really say that Future Diary is their best show since… one, I have not seen a lot of their animation productions, and two… I stated before in my opinion that the animation is a mixed bag. However, there is a highlight... The First opening.

Now I usually mention the soundtrack first before mentioning the opening and closing themes, a but The Future Diary is an exception. Most of you may find the first opening to be a highlight in the soundtrack and I would agree. It is pretty catchy. The first closing “Blood Teller” Is alright, but I sometimes skip the closing since it really doesn’t click for me. Halfway through the show, Future Diary just happened to replace its catchy first opening with a second opening and I didn’t like it as much, that and the song “Dead END” was pretty average at best for an opening. As for the second closing “Filament”. I found myself skipping it after seeing it after a few episodes. I didn’t like it that much. So...How does the soundtrack fare out. It sounded pretty average. I can’t think of one theme that is worth listening to outside the show except for the first opening.

The Japanese casting is pretty average. Misuzu Togashi as Yuki may not be your cup of tea but it’s a fitting voice considering the character. Tomosa Murata is okay as Yuno but I don’t have much to add on that. I will give Future Diary some credit on the side of the Japanese casting for actually having a few seiyus that are not big names. However, there are some notable seiyus that did get to play a part here. Akira Ishida is fine as Akise and this anime also has Norio Wakamoto in it too, and he’s listenable here too like most roles he has had. I don’t have much to say about the Japanese Cast but I do have quite more to say about the English Dub of Future Diary. The adaptive script took major liberties with the original dialogue and I am totally okay with the adaptive script as is because not much of the context is lost in translation. As for the performances *sigh* I thougth Josh Grelle was the lowlight of the dub. This is because the original character intent of Yuki felt reduced. This is similar to his role as Armin in Attack on Titan except he played the part while the adaptive script of Attack on Titan kept most of the original character intent of Armin faithful. In regards to Future Diary, I did not care much for Josh Grelle’s performance as Yuki. Brina Palencia is not a bad voice actress but I think Tomosa Murata does Yuno better. Interestingly enough, Yuno was not tinkered around much in terms of the adaptive script . There are some noteworthy voice actors in the dub such as Kent Williams who is decent here and there’s Todd Haberkorn. I will admit that I think he’s the highlight of the dub but in all fairness. Like the Subbed Version, I do feel that the Dub is average as well. But because of the main leads in the dub, I do prefer the Subbed Version on this one but the dub really isn’t absolute shit, it’s just not one of Funimation’s strongest dubs since some casting choices were hit or miss, and Zach Bolton was responsible for ADR Direction here and it seems he has average dubs in his resume but Soul Eater is perhaps the best he has done with ADR Direction. Future Diary could have been fixed in a few areas if it could but it is what it is.

The characters in Future Diary are an interesting case but first… I would like to address that I do not like Yuki. he’s a pussy. Sure, I understand the fear he goes through during this whole Survival Game, but he takes a while to get used to. Oh and as development goes, it’s not convincing. Yuno is… well...I don’t want to bring her up. The one decency in this show is that there are a variety of characters which most of them are the participants of the Survival Game. most of the participants has their own backstory, ideals, and goals and these characters did make the ride watchable. However, the characters are one of the things that makes Future Diary a bit predictable and this is after a few instances with the Diary Users. Then there’s Minene Uryuu. She is actually one character I had no major issues with. Oh, and Deus Ex Machina…Where do I begin with this guy? Oh, I don’t know… His full name doesn’t make sense!, I think a simple Deus would suffice. I do have a problem with the characters as a whole in this show but it’s not the majority of characters’ fault. Oh no, This brings up the major problem I have with Future Diary.

I could not take the plot seriously and here’s why. The setup of the first episode was unplausible and when the plot goes full circle, it does not explain everything and there are some things that never get explained, leaving some plot holes that time and space cannot be altered to fix them. The Cell Phone “Diaries” are a bizarre plot device but assuming a god of time and space could make it possible, I suppose it makes sense, right? Oh who am I kidding. Some of the shit that this anime has makes no sense. Fortunately, this anime wasn’t too boring and to be honest. I actually enjoyed it to a degree despite the completely implausible plot. But there are some moments that really come in at the wrong time. From what I can tell you without spoiling anything is that when something bad happens. there was one time where an instance of that came along and the following episode starts off with something attempting to be funny. I am actually not joking about that. This kind of directing will induce slapping or at least thoughts of such a thing and Naoto Hosoda should have known better. Oh but the bigger problem is that this show has a “DEAD END”, since the show is implausible with no direction. I was not surprised that the ending wouldn’t redeem the show by any stretch of the imagination and it’s a clusterfuck.

The Future Diary is available by Funimation. The Future Diary: Redial OVA was never licensed which means...no dub has been made for it. It is currently unlicensed which is a shame. The manga of the same name written by Sakae Esuno is available by Viz Media after Tokyopop went under.

With everything said and done, The Future Diary was an amusing series with or without direction but it ends up being not as fun later on and it gets to a dead end. And  I don’t regret using that pun. It’s animation is a mixed bag, the soundtrack is average, the characters are what made this amusing at first but the story is a complete bloody mess.

That being said, I give The Future Diary a 4 out of 10, it is NOT REALLY GOOD!

Feel free to leave a comment.

Critic’s Diary - Earthdate: February 14, 2015. Supplemental Review: Future Diary: Redial.

The Future Diary: Redial OVA is actually made as an epilogue to the show which was left open. The animation looks somewhat improved, nothing’s different with the characters or the soundtrack. The plot to Future Diary: Redial is also implausible and I don’t care to explain it because I did not like the epilogue’s ending to it either and I’m glad i’m done with it.

2.6/10 story
6.5/10 animation
6.1/10 sound
4.5/10 characters
Tinydestiny's avatar By on May 4, 2012

Did you think Mirai Nikki was good? Do you think it's going to be a good watch? If one of these are true then please heed my words.

This anime takes a massive runny diarrhea crap on your expectations. The diarrhea is so runny it's pouring over your expectations. And the worst part is: you don't even know it.

It's a tragic trick. It's a trick that pisses me off to the core and the trick f*cks with everyone, giving it an unbelievable amount of undeserved credit. The trick is to make you "fall in love" with the first episodes and god DAMN I swear 90% of the "good" new animes now a days do this. It's not the kind of love where you think "this is a good anime" however, but the kind of love when you spend almost every day of the week waiting for the next episode. By making you fall in love with it so hard, the creators use your naive love to their advantage and exploit that love until the bitter end when you finally realize your love was a mistake. You wish you could reject your premature love and take back all the time you spent because of your naivety, but the harsh truth will always be out there, the writers cheated on your expectations and got away with it for most of you!

Well, I guess this is only MY opinion, but I'll be damned if I'm wrong. It's the only way I can explain how it reached the top 86 rated animes on here.  I only managed to keep going because I, like many other fools, fell in love with it the first episodes. I was extremely happy (and I know I'm not the only one) to have a dark psychological mind game involving a pathetic character and a psycho bitch. SO much potential, so much room for development and interesting plots. But no. I kept the illusion that it was a great show until the end when I finally was able to snap out of it and realized it was absolute crap and a mass of ruined epic anime potential. It was beautiful and magnificent on the outside, but the inside was hollow, dull, and disappointing.