Metal Fight Beyblade

Alt title: Beyblade: Metal Fusion

MySweetHeart's avatar By on Sep 15, 2015

Hello, Cure Heart’s on!

Ever take a break and think a while about toy-based shows and why they never became successful?

Because you must have really, enjoyed it as a child, don’t you? Then the sad truth is, you grew up and realized just how critically lackluster it was.

Because that’s the case with me. I watched Metal Fight Beyblade a lot as a child, when I was about ten or something. Back then, I really enjoyed it, and thought it was one of the best shows ever. Then I grew up, and started nitpicking its flaws.

On with the review, quit babbling.

THE STORY: 2.5/10

Weakness 21341 of toy-driven shows: a lack of plot that makes sense. Some exception of this are Digimon and Pretty Cure; both are toy/merchandise-driven shows as well, but at least they had a plot that ACTUALLY makes sense. But Metal Fight Beyblade is, without any doubt is one of those shows which lacked a rational plot.

So… It is about a group of kids battling with spinning tops. All while trying to stop an evil organization trying to achieve world domination with… Spinning tops. Yeah, spinning tops! Does it make any sense to you? And how did those tops unleash huge beasts? How do they follow what their bladers say? How can they unleash those things called ‘special move’? Suffice to say, 90 percent of the stuff that happened in this show makes no sense.

Brushing the nonsense main plot aside, the pacing is really erratic and slow. A good part of the show is filler, and mostly spent on battles that took a whole episode to finish. For god’s sake, there isn’t a single episode that didn’t have its characters battling!

The art is simply drawn and it is average, but mostly pretty clean. But Metal Fight Beyblade often suffers from various art shifts—there are moments where the characters looked just fine, to episodes where they look downright weird. Sometimes, their eyes looked weird, with several dorky face-shots. I pretty liked the CGI for the beyblades though—it’s pretty clean. But overusing CGI in a show is not a good idea.

MFB made use of pretty generic BGMs and soundtracks—it lacks variety of BGMs and overuses them a lot. And seems that most of the sound effects the creators knew was metal clashing and sounds of beys changing modes. Give me another, please. The OP and ED are average and nothing special—seems pretty typical for a shonen toy show by the way.

The characters... There are so many of them, and yet their motivations are all the same—they all aim to compete against another and become the best blader of the world.

I mean, it just felt so shallow and unrealistic—so apparently playing spinning tops is preferrable into studying and finding a job. I mean, these kids are like 14 or something, and they didn’t go to school, but playing spinning tops?! For real?! The bad guys also lacked motivations that made any sense—why did they want to take over the world? Just goddamn explain it for once! And using spinning tops, man.

They lacked depth and development. I mean, X character (that isn’t one of the main characters) debuts and we’re only told a piece of their background and are only defined by one aspect of personality or said thing.

There isn’t much to their character otherwise, and worse they disappear very quickly after their limelight episode. Also, they remain the same person they are to the end. I can tell that from such a huge cast, only five of them showed a notable change.

OVERALL: 4.25/10

End of word, I found the Metal Fight Beyblade anime to be critically lacking. Average soundtrack and art, and to top all of that, shallow plot and characters. Only watch it if you wanted some entertainment and kill your time.

But please note that being critically lacking does not mean that it isn’t enjoyable. I still enjoyed it despite having the thought of ‘this show made no sense and lacks in many aspects’, and so does the other toy-driven shows I’ve watched.

Leave something in the comment if you have something to say.

2.5/10 story
3.5/10 characters
4.3/10 overall
roriconfan's avatar By on Aug 7, 2012

Beyblade is lame but at least it’s good at what it is trying to accomplish. Anime based on some product are made solely to advertise it and start an addiction to its possible consumers (usually nerdy kids with loaded parents). As such, most game –based anime are quite lame, with childish scenario and carton characters being just an excuse to shovel us flashy techniques or strategies of the soon-to-follow game. Despite this scam, Beyblade has a lame scenario, pathetic characters but makes a great (but exaggerated) advertising of the homonymous game.

ANIMATION & SOUND SECTION: 5/10 [trendy kids, cool monsters, average presentation.]
- Simply drawn 2D characters are using 3D flavored spinning tops. Spinning tops, I say! Does this sound interesting to you? It is a terrible concept! But it will sure take time to realize the stupidity. Although it is about kids playing with spinning tops, the animators easily trick us into believing that each one of them has unique techniques that make every battle different. Each user has a different strategy and some spinning tops have cool-looking monsters inside them that make special attacks and fill the screen with optical effects. You almost forget that it is actually just 10 year-olds throwing spinning tops at each other!
- All characters are typically drawn to look confident and/or cocky. Having a sense of style in their minds, the animators dressed their characters in trendy fashion and added tattoos and gimmick accessories to boost a bit their otherwise shallow presence. Without being anything much, the characters look and talk in a bearable way most of the time. And their spinning tops are packed with enough visual and sound effects to keep being interesting to the 10 year old target audience.
- As for the sound department, it is simply a bunch of screaming idiots yelling “BUY THIS GAME! IT’S LAME, BUT BUY IT ANYWAY”! But it has its nice moments.

STORY SECTION: 3/10 [Spinningtopmon! Got to buy them all!]
- The protagonist and almost everyone else in the story plan on becoming the best spinners in the world. So, they pretty much waste their lives training and playing with spinning tops and are finally pitted against a powerful organization, which plans to rule the world. How? Why, through spinning tops of course! Because the monsters inside them are in fact creatures from an ancient civilization that held tremendous power! Owwww! Scaryyy!
- Sounds like the story was written for AND by 5 year-olds. Seriously, the much similar Yu-Gi-Oh story is a masterpiece compared to this crap.
- By the way, this series has several sequels and movies besides this one… What? Sequels?! For Beyblade?!!! Many great series stop airing because of low ratings or lack in funds. Vision Of Escaflowne had to cut down 13 episodes because of a lack in funds. Legend of Galactic Heroes needed 10 years to produce a hundred episodes. And Beyblade actually gets extra seasons in a few years???
- Nah, it can’t be the ratings; the series simply sucks and spinning tops never became popular. Most likely it was the funds. The series was so cheap to produce that even crummy sales of Beyblade merchandise would be enough to make up for the expenses of making another series about this pathetic game. Like its theme, it’s cheap, superficial and forgettable in a few weeks. Man, those money-mugging game developers are EVIL! They are willing to make a thousand brain-killing series, if it helps them steal money from little kids addicted to spinning tops. Why waste time and money on producing a good series? Just repeat the same stupid stuff over and over until those 10 year olds are brainwashed to like it and then just wait for the money to pour in! Don’t you just love the materialism of our times?
- Anyway, the sequels are nothing different than before. The same stuff happen all over again, only in a slightly higher scale in terms of visual effects and story.

CHARACTERS SECTION: 3/10 [Get a life you dorks!]
- There is a trendy-looking bunch of kids who care more about spinning tops, than, let’s say, finding a job or getting laid, and a bunch of costumed weirdos who plan to control the world with ancient monsters. All of them just talk and care about them as if there is nothing more interesting or alternative to watching spinning thingies bouncing and crashing with each other. This gets boring after a while.
- Most of them have some purpose they can only accomplish through the spinning tops that makes their obsession with them understandable. But if you try to reason it a bit, you can find a thousand other alternative choices they could have made instead of loosing their time with this game.

VALUE SECTION: 1/10 [What is that?]
Value your money and stay away from this pathetic example of awful anime… AND the game, for the same manner. They are just spinning tops for God’s sake! In reality, you have no control over them and they don’t unleash huge monsters that blow up buildings. Don’t be fooled!

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 4/10 [All the spinning makes you nauseatingly addicted to it.]
Ok, the customization the spinning tops may have is huge and may interest gimmick and miniature fans. Some battles are actually good to look at and the fighting arenas constantly change. Half of the time, there is something bearable to watch… HALF, I say. And only if you are under 10 years old, of which I am not.

VERDICT: 3.5/10
The accused is found … GUILTY! … For selling us a pretty box with nothing inside.

This series is better than:
Duel Masters and Bedaman. The kings of lame game-based anime.

This series is equal to:
Medarot, Pokemon, YuGiOh, Bakusou Kyoudai Let's & Go. These series also advertise games but they are bearable half the time.

3.5/10 overall
Dario97's avatar By on Apr 5, 2012

This review is based on english dub version

Story: Well, it's in this show right ? RIGHT ? If there was something like that in this show, i would write it anyway.

Animation: It's kinda good. But what comes from good animation, where other things are fucked up ?

Sound: The voice acting is terrible. My friend that can't talk, could do it better.

Characters: And now we are finally here. The characters are rip-off from original Beyblade. They try to act like them, but they don't get it. There is no one (except Ryuuga) who is interesting in this show. The conversation are so miserably done, that even my dog Sammy The Brave could say something more...clever. They talk like they want to, but they can't. It looks pathetic. Also, when they try to joke or something like that. It ain't funny. It's just sad :( But there are many funny things in this show. The conversation are so lame, that everyone can laugh, just listening to them.

Overall: It's a dishonor for original Beyblade. I don't blame people for rating it that low. If someone's gonna do abridged series for this, he doesn't need to work. This is abridged version itself. Why this review looks like i'm some bad puppy killer ? Because, this show is so weak. There are 51 episodes, which doesn't contain anything, that could interest even my fishes in aquarium. Now i'm watching Beyblade: metal masters and it looks kinda better than this shit. Don't waste your time. It's better too watch original Beyblade instead.

Dare ga taskete xD