Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya

Alt titles: Suzumiya Haruhi-chan no Yuutsu

KenjiD's avatar By KenjiD on Nov 17, 2014

I actually like this better than The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.  The main show is good, but can take itself a bit too seriously at times.  Haruhi's more light hearted, Tsuruya-san is in this more, and I have a thing for chibi-style animation.

These light hearted, short stories are fun, cute, and easy to follow.

galacticdude7's avatar By galacticdude7 on Feb 3, 2010

-Story-

The Melancoly of Haruhi-chan has no story for the simple reason that it does not need one to be good. This anime makes its impression by using humor and charm. I liked how the humor played itself out throughout ther series. The episodes don't seem to be in any particular order, but each episode is still highly entertaining. It does make a few references to the original Haruhi series, but with this being a spin-off and not a sequel, I didn't really expect there to be much. For the most part, this series was able to capture the essence of that we fell in love with when we watched The Melancoly of Haruhi Suzumiya, or at least the last half of the series. Overall, I enjoyed this series

-Animation-

For the most part the animation had a cute and charming feel to it. The chibi look was great for this kind of anime, and it really set things up pretty well. It was annoying at times when they had the traditional style in the series, and it felt out of place.

-Characters-

Pretty much the same characters as we know in the original Haruhi, with a few exceptions. Yuki Nagato has become an otaku in this series, which I rather liked. Haruhi seemed to be a little like Konata Izumi of Lucky Star at times, which was mildly irritating. Koizumi becomes what seems to be a spoiled rich kid who can summon a maid and butler whenever he wants. That annoyed me a bit, but it was still ok. Overall, I still love the characters as much as I did in the original Haruhi series, and maybe even more.

-Overall-

If you are a Haurhi and Lucky Star fan, I would recommend this anime. It is sort of like the best of both worlds type thing, where you get the humor and non-sequitor-ness of Lucky Star with the light Sci-Fi things that occur in the series. I would recommend this anime highly.

7.5/10 animation
demonman905's avatar By demonman905 on Apr 14, 2010

This is an anime that is a bunch of fillers, but all the characters are in chibi form.  Some random things happen, from Dodge-balls that are thrown at supersonic speeds, Green talking Ballon animals, an alien that doesn't show emotions playing H-games, an esper wearing a mountain suit, all the way to our beloved Haruhi in a dog suit telling Mikeru to jump through a burning ring of fire just to make Kyon go to sleep.  There are so many random things happening, and the voice acting is phenomenal.  If you enjoy the sight of cute chibi anime characters living life to it's fullest (by Haruhi's standards), you will love this anime.

8.9/10 overall
HarioSagara's avatar By HarioSagara on Mar 8, 2012

Hilarity ensues as Haruhi and friends are chibified and have the eccentricities of their personalities magnified to explosive proportions! Haruhi comes up with crazier activites for the SOS Brigade, while Kyon valiently tries to keep up with witty comebacks. Nagato has become a hardcore Otaku and keeps a miniaturized Ryoko Asakura as her personal play toy! Mikuru's gullibilty reaches new levels as Haruhi and Tsuruya come up with ways to take advantage of the poor girl. If you are a fan of the original Haruhi series you will most likely enjoy this series as well. By itself this is a series filled with great short skits and amusing punchlines.

Story This series is not really much for story, being that it is a short skit and gag anime. If you watch the original series The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya then you get the background story behind the skits and that helps the punchlines reach there full comedic potential but this is still a good series by itself. Try not to worry about the lack of a regular plotline with this series, it is not meant to be viewed as a series with a significant story.

Animation The animation for this series is made to emphasize the characters humorous reactions and interactions with each other. Not an overly sophisticated style but it helps make the characters funnier to watch. The charm of Haruhi and the gang makes them an amusing and endearing group. The reactions of the mini-chibi Asakura-san are especially cute and hilarious.

Sound Nothing spectacular in the sound department but the music and gag noises work well with the comedy.

Characters This is where this series really shines. The characters are hilarious! Otaku Nagato knows no bounds as she plays tons of computer games and teases Asakura-chan mercilessly. Haruhi is continuously scheming and her plans tend to make life difficult for the easily targetable Mikuru. Koizumi tends to watch from the sidelines with a smug expression. Tsuruya and Mori-san the maid develop a fighting rivalry. Meanwhile Kyon does his best to keep the world safe from the chaos of the SOS Brigade whilst increasing his repertoire of smart remarks. Took off half a point due to lack of character development, but that's not what this series is about.

Overall Filled with laughs to beyond the breaking point this is a great series if you're looking for something funny and in no way serious. The short 2-5 minute episodes throw punchlines faster than a superpowered dodgeball player and will have you more hooked than a computer game addicted Otaku! I'd recommend this series for anyone that wants to watch something light-hearted and amusing.

Btw I rated this as a gag anime, while it's great for a lot of laughs it lacks a fleshed out story you'd find in your average anime. For that watch the original Haruhi.

9.5/10 characters
mustardbomb's avatar By mustardbomb on Apr 22, 2013

Given the choice between a nice, calm, every-day-life sort of anime, and one crammed to the brim with meaningless supernatural drivel, I will, of course, choose the former. Any level-headed person will agree, obviously.

Haruhi, melancholy, that train-wreck of a title, starts off as the former. I enjoy seeing the regular high-school shenanigans of the gang. They are all well written characters who are simply a joy to watch prance about. The dialogue sounds natural, they are acceptably (If not averagely) drawn, and they're even funny (!) at times, who'd believe that?

Then, and you'll start cursing yourself when the show reaches this point, they dive into the trite supernatural shit. God. Anime producers and writers of the world, hear me clear! No one wants to watch this! Thanks for listening.

But honestly, I lose any and all interest in Haruhi here. They take their amazing characters and stick them on the back-burner while aliens and..."espers" (Whatever those are) steal all our screen-time. They aren't even integrated into the show well. It's just "Oh shit, aliens, here ya go." And we're supposed to accept that?

No sir, that won't fly with me. You may choose to turn a blind eye, but this is bad writing at it's finest. Sure the dialogue still is well written, but the plot? God no. Things happen out of nowhere with little to no explanation, and sometimes there is just too much explanation! Show don't tell, learn it guys.

Odd to have two polarizing complaints, but Haruhi finds new ways to be terrible.

Speaking of pitfalls, how about that continuity. True, this is a writing problem, and I hate to keep harping on the same thing, but this deserves recognition. From one episode to the very next, things just...change. Inexplicably! It's like I'm watching the episodes out of sequence. (I'm not.)

But that dialogue, I'll keep saying, is a saving grace. It interjects the show with little laughs amongst the overriding shit, and greatly brings the enjoyment up. It's stopping me from rewarding the show with a one, even!

If you can watch just one episode here and there? Perfect! Never, and I mean never, watch this entire series. That is a recipe for disaster.

4.5/10 overall