Maria Holic

TeHDestroyer26's avatar By TeHDestroyer26 on Mar 3, 2010

Its a good show if your looking for a laugh. This show is the exact opposite of Ouran High School Host Club.

crazytuna's avatar By crazytuna on Mar 5, 2010

Well this is my first review ever for Anime-Planet, so what series gets the honor?

Maria Holic of course!

Maria†Holic

What is Maria Holic all about? Now now, don't get your hopes too high for some super insane action series that BLOWS EVERYTHING UP, since Maria Holic is a school life comedy, so there's no real story going on, but rather more a setting. The story is simply about Kanako, a normal high school student who just wants to find love (aww cute), but there are some problems :

1- She breaks out into hives when she gets touched by a boy

2- She's FREAKING TALL

3- She's a pervert

4- Yeah, she's a lesbian

So, our little Kanako decides to transfer to this Christan girls-only high school, Ame No Kisaki, to find her soul mate, just like her parents did back in the day (no her parents aren't 2 girls, her dad was a teacher and her mom was a student). The day she transfers to her new school, she meets this small cute girl, Mariya Shindou, and is immediately infatuated with her, love at first sight as we say, but to her horror and bad luck, she finds out that Mariya is a sadistic guy that cross-dresses for personal reasons (IT'S A TRAP). Funny thing, is that she is still turned on by Mariya even though she knows it's a boy and gets constant nosebleed, so many that she's most of the time in a sick bed at the nursery.

...Yep... That's the story of Maria Holic. Pretty interesting if you ask me. WELL ENOUGH FOR ME TO WATCH IT.

Here's the main cast by the way

Matsurika Shinouji (Mariya's maid)

Mariya Shindou (Trap)

Kanako Miyamae (Yuri pervert)

Maria Holic was produced by Shaft, quite a nice studio if you ask me, they're recognized for their use of colors, paints and unique animation style, which is a plus for Maria Holic, I'll talk about this later. We all know the reasons why this series sounds awesome : there's yuri, a maid and a trap. I mean come on, if that's not enough to get your attention, then I don't what will. Anyway, let's get this train rolling now.

Review time!

Animation : 8/10

The animation studio was Shaft, and Shaft is quite the unique on it's animation styles, I could post some screen shots, but that would mean for me posting every second of every episodes. The use of sudden contrast colors, video effects and paintings is a nice plus, but all and all, the characters drawings themselves were rather...bland... Nonetheless the animations were quite a feast on the eyes. The opening animation was quite something too, here's a link for the opening

Maria†Holic Opening - Hanaji

Characters : 7.5/10

Hmmmm.... Characters... Well Mariya is certainly not our first cross-dresser in the industry, Matsurika on the other hand is a special maid, she freely insults her master just for fun, and shows no respect for either Kanako, constantly calling her Pig or Eiffel Tower, or Mariya, calling him names like cross-dressing freak and such names. Even though she acts like that, I'm pretty sure she is fond of both of them. The rest of the cast/class is just your typical high school student, you have the group leader, the hyper-active one, etc... BUT, as we all think the one wearing glasses would be the smart one right? Well you got that right, the one wearing glasses simply sucks at school. Ah, stupid myths. Since this is a comedy anime, there's no such thing as character development or whicever, maybe one time or two, but really, nothing happens much.

Glasses girl : Nanami Kiri

Hyper-Active one that has access to Hammer-space : Sachi Momoi

Story : 8/10

What do you want me to say about an nonexistent story? Each episode consist of an unrelated story to each other, pretty much like every comedy series out there, consisting of weird puns, jokes and the rest. Well since there's no "real" story you can just pick up any episodes and watch it. Well there are some stuff from each episodes that finally come back, but that's not important. For example the thing in Kanako's bag usually resurfaces here and here but nothing else. It's your typical 12 episodes long comedy series.

The Thing O_o ...is hungry...

Sounds : 8/10

Strangely there's always no astonishing stuff in the sound department, but the cast was quite funny to hear, especially Kanako's long monologues, or maybe Matsurika's mundane voice when casually insulting someone. Voice acting was great. Background music, so-so. I did like the opening song and ending song though.

link to ending song : Maria†Holic Ending - Kimi ni Mune Kyun

Overall : 8.5/10

All and all, Maria Holic was an enjoyable series. Made me laugh some times (loved Kanako's song on the cosplay angel :link: Kanako's Cosplay Angel song) All the characters were pretty fun to watch, so if you're into maids, yuri, traps or any of these, you should give Maria holic, or if you just want to kill some time and get a good laugh, Maria Holic is for you. Of course, you're probably thinking that for 12 episodes we're just going to see some weird pervert nosebleed after some fan-service shots, well yeah you are, but every episode is something new, so you can't predict what they're going to put. I hope you enjoy Maria Holic as much as I did.

The Good :

- Great setting idea

- Nice visual effects

- good laugh there and there

The Bad :

- The jokes tend to get repetitive after a while

And with that, the Maria Holic crew bids you farewell

nasreen10's avatar By nasreen10 on Jun 24, 2010

Story: Perverted lesbian girl meets girl who is actually a boy. The premise itself was a selling point for me but it gets better. The crazy antics of Mariya and Matsurika are hilarious, I would have preferred the perspective from the maid because Kanako does get over-the-top. It reminds me of Wallflower with the level of nosebleed but I found Sunako to much more lovable, as strange as that sounds. I don't like perverts so I don't really like the story to be told by one. However, it is still filled to the brim with humor. The ending falls flat with a weird cliffhanger and many questions unanswered. I felt that it wasn't long to fully tell the story. Some development was there but definitely not enough. There were also little running gags that I didn't understand. Again, I'll have to refer to the manga for the rest of the story. However, there is enough good to make this an enjoyable.

Animation: The animation of the characters are fairly decent. They are very cute and stand apart from each other. The clothes flow well and fit right. I loved the opening and ending. The Matsurika-guitar was priceless. The backgrounds were a little bland and flat at times. The colors are vivid. However, I HATED the stained glass stills. They had some really creepy eyes and did not achieve the effect they were going for.

Sound: The opening and ending songs were great. However, the score was fitting but unmemorable. I loved Mariya's seiyuu and the rest of the voice actors fit.

Characters: Mariya is amazing. I don't know why, but I love characters like him. Mariya and Matsurika are just amazing. They're a great duo and are really the reason for watching Maria+holic in the first place. He's sarcastic and witty and surprising. Your jaw will drop at the words and actions that he says and does. I love him! Also, I have the same feelings for Matsurika. However, Kanako is a completely different story. She gets worse throughout the show and she's more open with her pevertedness. Maybe I'm just biased against perverts, but I wished she would be more toned down throughout the show but, aghast, it does not happen. There is some development for the characters but not nearly as much as there should have been. However, that is expected since the series was so short.

Overall: Maria+holic could have been really great had Kanako improved and there had been more episodes to really flesh out the story. It fell short. However, I did find it throughly enjoyable and those who are opposed to shoujo-ai, give this a chance. I am no fan of yuri but I really liked this. Definitely FAR from excellent, but it is good if you're looking for something with an odd sense of humor. I would watch this again. Also, for those who want more of the story, read the manga. It's pretty much the same but no creepy stained glass stills.

6.5/10 story
6.9/10 overall
yasmin09's avatar By yasmin09 on Jun 24, 2010

Story: So Maria Holic is about Kanako, a perverted lesbian, entering an all-girls catholic school to get away from males because any contact with them leaves her in hives and as luck would have it, finds out about Mariya's cross-dressing secret. Mariya surveys her 24/7 or as much as possible to prevent her from leaking his secret and thus is Maria Holic. That's literally about as much connective plot that came out of this anime. Though it wasn't remarkable it was very funny, had wit, and held promise. Though it wasn't as satisfying as I had hoped, Mariya and her maid and the dorm mistress make the anime hilarious. Watch the anime for them, it is worth it. They don't disappoint.

Animation: Not sure what to say about the animation. It's not that it was bad, but it was definitely very different. So many different art types were used and it was switched from one to another within seconds following the spastic nature of the anime to a tee. The animation of the people was lovely but some of the background was lacking. I was a fan of the extreme expressions but not so much some of the stills because they creeped me out with their eyes but I wouldn't say it was bad. All in all, different from what I'm used to but not necessarily in a bad way.

Sound: Quite suitable, especially the organ and dramatic church music that was used so comically for parts that were satirically dramatic. It wasn't exactly memorable but it definitely did heighten the comedy of the anime. I thoroughly enjoyed the opening and ending. The opening lyrics perfectly describe the anime and I loved the part where Mariya uses her maid as a guitar while the ending was very cute sounding but not overly cute.

The voice acting was definitely the best part, sound-wise. Mariya's easily switched from cute and innocent girl to the mischievous guy he his. The maid's deadpan voice with her sharp, witty lines always added humor to the situation. The others were just as suitable, constantly tone depending on the situation.

Characters: I was most definitely not a fan of the lack of character development but then again this is slice-of-life but it would have been nice to see.

Kanako was a definite pain, only getting more and more perverted as the anime continued. I didn't find her perverted nosebleeds or creepy thoughts amusing. Instead, I really wanted to see her crash and burn. She's almost as bad as Master Roshi.

However, I loved Mariya-san and the maid. If only the show revolved around them. They're slightly sadistic, switch from being sweet to sarcastic, and Mariya was the one of the few to show some kind of character development. The dorm mistress was consistenly funny though she remains an enigma. The other characters are sadly more-or-less stereotypes. I would liked some more focus on them.

Overall: The anime is very slice-of-life and highly satirical and spastic but I wish it could have transcended that because it really held so much promise especially from the first few episodes. Despite the disappointing ending and lack of character development and meandering plot, the anime was hilarious and is definitely worth seeing especially for the interaction between Mariya and the maid. I just love that duo.

KiraRin's avatar By KiraRin on Jul 13, 2010

One theme of ecchi that has never really appealed to me is traps; young, beautiful boys dressing as girls to deceive those around them and cause some utterly hilarious situations. Personally speaking, I like my girls with no padding in the mammary department or for them to be brandishing a “surprise inside”. And so it was with more than a little trepidation that I embarked on Maria Holic – a show that has long been a favourite with certain members of Club ISSUP (The International Study of Something Umm Perverted) because of what has been described as a “delicious trap”.

Telling the story of Kanako, Maria Holic’s delicate setting of a Catholic school for girls instantly put me in mind of Maria-sama ga Miteru. Thankfully, Holic instead quickly cements its name in perverted comedy as the hapless protagonist reveals her true nature via a somewhat unique reaction to a jaw droppingly stunning shoujo. As frequently occurs in ecchi anime, this leads to an unexpected twist that sets this show apart from others in the genre. Instead of the overly done harem or tiresomely vapid heroine, the writers instead choose to make the most desirable female a cross dressing megalomaniac. Cross the fact that poor Kanako is wrestling against her overtly yuri feelings against an allergy to males, and you quickly realise that the blend of dark humour works wonders.

In an effort to keep this joke from becoming tired, Kanako’s over the top nose bleed reactions are compounded by a classroom packed by a bevy of stereotypical typecasts; the bespectacled bookworm, little miss "ditzy but kind" and the skilful sports star all tickle our heroines fancy on regular occasions. Sadly, it is these once comical immense exsanguinations that are killed by the aggressive repetition. In my mind, the rapid expulsion of blood from a male character is representative of a sudden surge of blood to the head (if you know what I mean). As Kanako is lacking a one-eyed trouser snake, this initially funny joke results in questioning whether the writers have tried to be a little too clever with this little quip and resulted in completely missing the net.

Disregarding this one lack of judgement, the show's primarily episodic approach works well. The storyline easily flits between perverted swimsuit antics at the swimming pool and adventures of the adorably sinister dorm mistress named God. As time progresses, the flow of dark humour permeates every pore of this surprisingly amusing show but sadly seems to lack drive as it loses all momentum by the time it reaches a pointless cliff-hanger ending. At its best, Maria Holic is extremely reminiscent of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei: the non-stop flow of inner monologues and angst-ridden teen years flow by effortlessly with much mirth from the viewer. Lacking the same exclusive Japanese driven humour of the latter, Maria Holic is an easy going flirtation with a titillating blend of comedy and ecchi that will definitely tickle the fancy of many an otaku.

Once again, parallels can be drawn with Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei in the art department; boldly drawn cartoonish characters are lovingly rendered with garishly complex patterns and designs. Although not quite as deliciously obnoxious as futuristic Gankutsuou, the crazy palette composition strangely works for the modern day Maria Holic; girls sparkle and glow as they become the latest object of Kanako’s affections, occasionally being turned into a shimmering stained glass piece of artwork in homage to the show's Catholic setting. The sparing use of CG finds its way into some unusual scenes, such as the fantastically crazy opening credits – I have to say, the sight of a maid’s ample bosom being freed from her apron never looked so good!

Initially breaking out with an upbeat and funky opening track, the musical score throughout Maria Holic is catchy and boogie-liciously addictive. The closing track is an electro-beat ditty that is impossible to get out of your head once it works its way in there, and the ambient background tunes are pleasant on the ear.

Thankfully, the voice acting is also up to par, with each of the seiyuu turning out a stellar performance. From the lovelorn Kanako to the creepy yet innocent dorm mistress, it seems that the casting department were on a roll the day of the auditions. Worthy of a mention is Yu Kobayashi, whose vocal talents bring the gender confused Mariya to life; flitting between her girlishness when public facing, the change to a gruff male is seamless and only goes to enhance the curiously mischievous side of our beloved cross dresser.

Starting with the best of the bunch, the troublesome pairing of Mariya and Matsurika is an absolute pleasure to watch. Their relentless bullying and manipulation of weaker personalities that surround them is both genius and cringe worthy at the same time. Mariya’s gender deception sees his inspired plotting at its best: playing both a delicate flower carefully picking her way through life and an insensitive despot who lives to prove his supremacy over the lesser beings in life, he wears each persona as easily as a mask. On the other hand, Matsurika is happy to play the deadpan sidekick to her master, only getting caught up in the merciless scheming when ordered to. Her cold, almost robotic facade never slips, thus making her intriguing to follow onscreen.

Unfortunately, the main protagonist does not come across quite as well. Kanako starts off as a mildly likable character, but her unwavering attraction to the fairer sex quickly plummets from being amusing and quirky to gut-wrenchingly dull. Setting out with so much promise, she quickly becomes nothing but a two dimensional, stereotypical pervert. Although this does keep the show moving along at times and can be very funny, it just seems a little too over the top to be used and amplified as the episodes roll by.