Maiden Rose

Alt titles: Hyakujitsu no Bara

Marceus's avatar By Marceus on Aug 15, 2011

The only thing worse than this anime is this review of mine...

There's a war going on (I think), the main character gets raped a couple times and the rapist guy is suspected of being a spy or something... Then they fall in love and live happily ever after... At least that's how I remembered it. I also recall the main characters virginity being a big deal for some reason, but that was completely stupid and irrelevant.

Animation:

Gonna have to update this part a bit... I had originally said that the animation wasn't that bad, but I was wrong, because it's pretty fucking bad. It's complete ass just like everything else in this anime.

Sound:

Can't say I remember any of the music at all... It was pretty forgettable.

These characters were bland and lifeless. They had hardly any personality at all and I find myself absolutely despising the two main characters who were quite possible the worst I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure Taki and Klaus don't even know what a fucking emotion is...

Overall:

This was the first yaoi anime I've ever seen... And while my expectations weren't particularily high, this was still so much worse than I thought it'd be... I wasn't really expecting to find any of the guys attractive since they aren't really my type, but my God they were so boring. I could have at least liked them if they had some sort of personality but there was nothing there at all. The sex scenes were all awkward or disturbing and not the least bit sexy, and there was just so much stupidity going on throughout the entire thing that I just couldn't enjoy any of it. I've been told that the manga is a lot better though so maybe it was just because this was a short 2 episode OVA that it felt so poorly paced.

Updated: July-31-2013

0.5/10 story
0.5/10 characters
Thrawn's avatar By Thrawn on Jun 25, 2012

Story/Yaoi Guys: The rain is pouring down on the angst below as the train prepares to depart into the sunset dark, deep abyss, the abyss of one man's soul. The angst was in the form of a man, a good looking, bishonen who is a noble of some sort. He gives off a vibe of nobility and deep profound nobleness and approaching the angst is a rapist guy with a rape on his face face who looks like it's about to rape dat ass is mine before this ends

You see how profound that is? That's the anime, but not as profound, deep and know what? It's a load of shit, both of them are. You got two countries, Klaus and Angst are from separate ones and being the gentleman Klaus is, he rapes Angst. The guy puts up a magnificent facade as a noble gentleman whose a fucking badass on a bike; a role model for a kid, who gives him a "Do good shit" speech or whatever, encourages him (Essentially) and taps dat ass. You just know it's going to happen with a face like that.

It's hard to give a damn about the plot when it's shit. The war is a backdrop for love making and the ending is just terrible. Slapshod and added pieces until it became good enough to send on through. But you know this is bad, just not how so. There are some random bits after the end of each episode about chibi Wolf/Cats, but it's kinda... pointless. Didn't care much about them and by that time, my mind was just wasting away.

Come not for the plot, but for the sodomy.

Animation: It's yaoi. The guys have to look good.

Sound: Just kill me now. I can't even fucking remember the sound.

Overall: It was shit. The only possible way this is worth a watch is if you're watching it for some club that watches shitty ass anime, you enjoy yaoi and if you enjoy sodomy.

thephantombear's avatar By thephantombear on Mar 14, 2010

Wikipedia states:

"The story takes place in a fictional world that has just begun a great world war. Klaus von Wolfstadt, from one of the nations of the “Western Alliance,” has left his duty as a soldier to his nation in order to be a knight to Taki Reizen, commander of the 15th division “Maiden Rose,” whose country has an alliance with “Eurote,” an enemy of the Western Alliance. The story follows their romance as it evolves from friendship, to love, and finally, to hatred.

Klaus von Wolfstadt met Taki Reizen when he attended his coronation ceremony with his family in 1918. After having gotten lost in the gardens surrounding the area, he stumbled upon a young Taki, who asked him to help him pick some flowers from one of the trees above them to place them on his ceremonial head gear. Klaus agreed, and after picking the flowers for Taki, Taki asked Klaus if he would give himself to him and be his knight.

Eight years later Taki and Klaus met again at Luckenwalde Military Academy, where Taki had gone to learn how to operate tanks. Klaus was given orders to befriend Taki, and both observe and protect him. Through the course of the next two years, the two fell in love. When Eurote broke a treaty with the Western Alliance and invaded Dheedene, Taki was ordered to be deported back to his country. The night after he was ordered to be sent home, he and Klaus had their first romantic encounter, afterwards which Taki asked Klaus to go with him back to his country. Klaus agreed, and three days later met up with Taki on a train heading back to Taki’s country.

During the train ride home, Klaus fully took Taki, taking his purity away from him. Taki, being a member of the Reizen family which is favored by the Gods, has the burden of remaining pure until marriage. Considering the consequences on himself and on the people who believe in him, Taki ended his relationship with Klaus, but only after Klaus was sworn to him as his knight. This binds the two together for the rest of their lives.

Klaus, confused and angered, became very abusive to Taki, and began to torture and rape him consistently afterwards. Now the two have to fight in both the war between Taki’s country and the Western Alliance, and the war between each other.

My take on this Ova anime; I assume that you have to read the manga to get the full spectrum of their relationship. It begins very quickly into a very shoen-ai relationship which seems to be onesided and abusive. There wasn't enough to really go on storywise, you just have to watch it and let it unfold. By the second OVA you begin to understand that Taki wants the relationship and Klaus is rough and violent in his use of Taki. To the point that you have to wonder if it is love or just flat out rape. But considering that at one point they were in Klaus's quarters, it is assumed that is concentual by Taki.

It's very difficult to understand this one. I guess you have to watch it with an open mind. Yaoi seems to be 2 guys in love, Bara seems to be sex with no love and shoen-ai seems to be man/boy relations, usually with the boy in love being plundered. This is strange as the boy is a higher commander.

I feel that there is more that needed to be conveyed in this anime but I will look for the manga to figure more out.

gekoladie's avatar By gekoladie on Apr 25, 2011

With possibly the exceptions of 'Boku no Pico' (extreme shotacon) and 'Boku no Sexual Harassment' (the scene with the bondage and all the prostitution), this is the most shocking yaoi-related thing I have ever watched. I have been informed that the manga of 'Maiden Rose' is good, but the OVA seems to highlight one particular thing: the rape. I can't morally get past that part, so it did rather kill the series for me, since I was too busy sitting in front of my computer with a rather confused and mildly horrified expression on my face to really comprehend what else was going on. As a result, it's rather difficult to review.

iriss2231's avatar By iriss2231 on Jul 27, 2013

Beautiful anime.

The ending made me cry!

I ended up running to my room and rewriting the ending to my own likes.

Other then the ending the content is great! I would love to rewatch this...If only the ending was different...