Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Movie 1: Hajimari no Monogatari

Alt titles: Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part 1: Beginnings

Mozuri's avatar By Mozuri on Dec 11, 2012

This Review Covers both the First and Second Movies...

Story (8/10)
Alright so here's the deal, the story of the movie is basically a retelling of the first half of the show, but with added scenes, and a somewhat faster pace. To those of you who are haters and/or talking shit about the idea, here's a word of warning: Prepare to be Disappointed because THEY DO make this work!!! While it was recap, it felt like a completely new experience. The atmosphere was way darker and eerier than the show, and the scenes transitioned very smoothly. The anime-ish feel of the show was replaced with a genuine cinematic experience.

Animation (9/10)
Easily the highpoint of the movie was the animation. They improved it so much from the TV show it was unbelievable. Well.. considering how big of a money whore the show was, I guess it isn't that unbelievable... Anyways back to the point: The characters look great, the movements were fluid, and the portrayal of all the little details around them were great as well.

Sound (8/10)
Another step-up from the show would be the sound. Obviously the movie had the same voice actors as the show so it sounded good. The soundtrack was also great and it fit in perfectly with the atmosphere of the movie. All in all, pretty solid sound rating, nothing ground-breaking though.

Characters: (7/10)
Same characters as the show, you all know how they are so I'm not gonna go over them in detail. I will say this though, the way they are portrayed in the movie feels noticeably different and gives them an increased amount of depth.

Overall: (8/10)
They really did do a great job with this movie. And to all of you Madoka Magica haters out there, let me say one thing, if you didn't like the show then that's your deal, but don't judge the movie without seeing it first, because trust me, it is different.

Note: I was lucky enough to see this in theaters. To all of you who haven't, but want to see it, you have my condolences. The earliest you'll be able to watch it will be in a couple months. But at least you have the hype built up from this review to keep you going right? Right?!

Larkawolfgirl's avatar By Larkawolfgirl on Dec 17, 2013

Yes, this movie is completely recap from the anime. No, I did not find anything truly new about the movie. However, the movie seemed fresh and overall more enjoyable than the anime. Now, this could partially be due to the fact that I was able to piece the story together better since it was a retelling. I for one loved the anime and enjoyed seeing the story yet again.

The story flowed better in this movie format. As another user mentioned in their blog, the story is fit more for a dramatic movie than clipped episodes. The overall feels was more eerie than the anime, which I also credit the movie format for. Each episode of the show had to reset the stage and mood, whereas the movie never needed to do this.

The previous mentioned is mostly compared to the show, but the following is more focused on Madoka as a whole.

It took me a while to fully appreciate the ending to the anime. I personally enjoyed having this movie cut off in the middle so that I could fully appreciate the overall story minus the ending. The story unravels piece by piece leaving you hooked. The setting is so unlike other magical girl stories that it both excites you and puts you on edge.

Animation:

I love the animation. It is very modern and aesthetically pleasing. The art for labyrinths and witches are so creative. They give off a creepy and unique vibe.

Sound:

It was thanks to Madoka that I discovered the band Kalafina. Their song "Magia" highlights the story beautifully. It has a bit of eeriness to it but also a sense of desperation. The other music, though less magnificent (in my opinion), work perfectly within the scenes.

The characters all have a unique drive and a past that defines them. They all are ultimately struggling through the same war, but each experience it so differently. The girls display varying degrees of the human heart.

Overall, not having to worry about opinions of the story's end, I think this movie was a pure masterpiece. The story works very well in a cinematic format without interruptions.

Updated review at http://www.bubblews.com/news/2010979-mahou-shoujo-madoka-magica-movie-1-hajimari-no-monogatari-review

CaptainSlow's avatar By CaptainSlow on Apr 5, 2014

What I Liked: Brilliant set design. While the animation is much the same as the series, there's been a slight improvement and the Labyrinth scenes feel more frightening. Great atmosphere, helped by a soundtrack that is less a driving force and more a solid part of the overall mood of each scene. Voice acting is improved apon from the series. Good pacing that never feels rushed or too slow.

What I Didn't: Some of the character animation still lacked consistency. Occasional low-quailty inbetweening. That Shaft head tilt, or tilts as the case may be.

Final Verdict: The first of two recap movies, Beginnings summarises the first eight episodes of the popular Puella Magi Madoka Magica series without sacrificing too much of the main story. While some of the animation and soundtrack has been improved somewhat, the inconsistent character animation may detract from the viewing

ratchet573's avatar By ratchet573 on Apr 8, 2014

Puella Magi Madoka Magica I: Beginnings

Or

Gen Urobuchi is a Depraved Motherfucker

Foreward

I started watching anime religiously three years ago. Upon entering the world of anime, I was introduced to Puella Magi Madoka Magica, an unassuming magical girl anime that gradually loses all the fun and cuddliness of typical shows of the genre, opting instead for vast quantities of depression, sadness, and depravity. At the time, I thought it was the best fucking thing I’d ever seen. It combined cute girls with a horribly dark story and setting thaI rated as damn near perfect.

As the years have gone by, I’ve tried desperately to repress my love for the series as I see more and more wrong with it and  try to avoid it if only because I hate being sad. Other reasons may include the fact the series doesn’t have the same impact the second time around, the characters being kind of lame compared to what they are in Different Story, and other assorted bullshit.

Okay, I’ll admit it, I’m a Madoka fanboy. I own figures. I own the series on DVD. I fucking love Madoka Magica.

Why did I avoid the movies then?

It’s partly because I heard the name “Homucifer”, laughed my ass off, and brushed the third film aside. It’s partly because I didn’t want to get caught up in the depressing story again. And it’s partly because I don’t understand my feelings for this series.

I love it.

No I think it’s good but I don’t want to fanboy.

Fanboying is the worst thing you can do. Don’t do it.

My biggest problem with the series is the fact that Different Story came out and…it was sort of better than the series. It developed characters better, it explained character motivations much better. It was an all-around excellent addition  that surpasses the original.

Which, consequently, scared me for the movies, especially the third one. The series has a lot to live up to in my mind and I felt that the original was perfect as it was. It wasn’t a perfect anime by any stretch, but it did its job of being the Evangelion of magical girl anime.

Three years later I’m a better critic, I’m a lot older, a lot more cynical, and I think that this first movie will allow me to get some more critical thoughts about the series out there then what I’ve previously released.

This is Madoka Magica I: Beginnings.

A Deconstruction

This first film covers the first eight episodes of the series. It moves at a pretty good clip, though I didn’t feel like the emotional impact of the series was there (and once again, I’ve seen the series so that could well be the reason why).

Madoka Kaname is a regular fourteen year old girl. She has a family, goes to school, eats toast as she runs to school, and is as boring as they come. The mysterious transfer student, Homura Akemi, swoops into the story and before we know it, Madoka is being spoken to by a strange creature that Homura has a grudge with. Turns out the creature, Kyubey, grants wishes in exchange for girls becoming “magical girls”. Homura is a magical girl and so is Mami Tomoe, who takes Madoka and her best friend Sayaka under her wing, guiding them to join her crusade against the evil, malicious witches.

The series has a decent enough story that combines all the elements of a magical girl anime with all the elements of a depression inducing psychological drama. It works well in the beginning as a typical magical girl anime and, as the film continues, it goes down a hill, focusing on mature themes and characters rather than action and cutesy antics.

The biggest problem that the film version of the series faces is what to cut and what to keep. And that’s where the film fucks up. Where was Mami’s background? As a character, she isn’t around enough to really care about. She’s more the catalyst for what’s to come rather than a person. What made her more of a person in the series than in the film is the fact we learn her parents died in a car accident, which she was part of, and she selfishly wished for herself to live. The regret she feels for doing that and the loneliness that is filled by Sayaka and Madoka isn’t felt at all in the film. She’s very cardboard because of that. The question then becomes, why keep Kyoko’s background in then? If we don’t care about Mami’s, why worry about Kyoko’s?

Madoka is boring. Very boring. But I believe that’s what the character is meant to be. Everything is going on around her. Rather than have a main character in the thick of things, we follow a character who’s watching her world fall apart at the seams. Many people complain about her being dull and uninteresting, but I like that we’re forced to follow a third-party who doesn’t involve herself too much. She’s watching everyone else do the work.

Sayaka is, and always will be, my most hated character in the series. Despite the fact she is developed a lot more than most of the characters, she’s still annoying, her intentions and motivations make no sense, and the way her character slowly degrades into a raving madwoman makes no sense to me. So because of the fact your soul is in a gem…you can’t be happy because you can’t kiss a boy…with the body you inhabit…and can’t feel the kiss when you can feel pain…

I don’t get it. Really, I don’t. Didn’t get it three years ago. Don’t get it today.

Kyoko is one of my favorite characters. She’s cute and she’s badass. She’s a great counter to Sayaka’s character.

And Homura. I’ll talk about her in my review for the second movie. In this film she’s badass and definitely provides great comedy when she pops up unannounced during major events.

A Flawed but Fun Film

The film doesn’t open with the Walpurgisnacht fight of the television series. It doesn’t give us Mami’s past. It misses some facets of the series that should not have been cast aside, but at the same time, it’s a really good run through the first eight episodes. Those new to the series will have fun catching up and getting caught up in the characters, and those who’ve seen the series will enjoy the upgraded animation and the familiar, beautiful scores. That being said,  the focus is on Sayaka for much of the film (just like the series) and I think that takes some points from it. But, as a recap film, it’s damn good, lots of fun, and enjoyable.