Magi: The Kingdom of Magic

ferengi4's avatar By on Oct 17, 2014

This is my first review so sorry if its not amazing. But I have to say Magi: The Kingdom of Magic is amazing! I think its better then the original Magi which is strange since most of the time a animes first season or part is usally better then the next. Its great to look at, the music in it is amazing, and the story it self is unique and great. The only thing I can say bad about it was that I wish it was longer! But regardless its great and you will regret not watching it.

IAnnMichelle's avatar By on Sep 26, 2014

Unbelievably, this season is more epic then the first. The characters grow and reach their peak of strength and innner self. They experience adventures more challenging and wondurous then the first. This season is alos even more serious then the first as the main characters are faced with a grave challenge and threat to the survival of the world itself. New characters are interestroududed, while some old characers get a spotlight and others are pushed into the background of this show. some mysteries and questions are answered while new ones are introduced. It ending is satisfing but has room for clean up. Some things are still unaswered but also highly hint off that there will be a season to look forawrd too. The epic tale is obviously just in its prime and no where near a permanent end.

9.8/10 story
9.8/10 characters
9.9/10 overall
usa1ph's avatar By on Mar 13, 2016

It's much of the same of the first saeson. Though I hated how it had very little of Alibabba and Morgiana

kingofdemons's avatar By on Oct 1, 2015

Story: the show again took it to the next level, action packed to the max it is a must see guys you will not be shamed

Animation: so again at frist to me because I am not used to this style of animation it look a little off to me, but then I got used to it so all is good

Sound: Dam the sound was great. Nice and and smooth and the soundtrack is one of the best I have listin too so far.

Characters: one of the best cast's out there as for as what goes on in the show love them all

9.1/10 story
8.7/10 animation
9.9/10 characters
Gzerble's avatar By on Feb 25, 2015

Magi's second season is where the show finally decides that it wants to be more like Dragonpiece Shipudeach instead of something good. The character designs of new characters and the changed ones of the old ones become even more cliche, the plot becomes dumber, the characters are "awesome" in the most retarded way. Everyone "levels up" over and over, and we get the "omg save teh world with badass!!1!one1!" fight to end the season.

While the artwork has a strong showing all around, covering crap in sugar doesn't make it candy. It might not be quite as terribad as some of the other shounen "plots" out there, but it fits in right with the standard recyclable garbage. Looking fine doesn't save that. Not even close.

Magi's first season wasn't half bad. The second season did the unforgivable crime of pandering to what the viewers should like instead of what is actually awesome. I don't have a problem with shounen when it manages to be awesome. The first season was close at times, the second season decided that it wouldn't even try. The plot armor surrounding the characters is thicker than ever, the good guy turning to a dark path cliche rears its ugly head, and the "epic" fight where the characters level up in order to win and it turns out that the villain wasn't that bad before he dies happens more than once.

What I'm trying to say is that if the first season wasn't half bad, the second season is half bad and half worse. Good art can only cover for so many issues with the writing. Superpowers are a great crutch for when the writing fails, and give an element of the fantastic. The problem is when that crutch is the only thing holding things up, then it isn't stable enough on its own.

Writing (Story and Characters):

Oh, how easy it is to despise when a show focuses on the annoying kid. How easy it is to hate generic training sequences. Most of all, it's loathesome when a show relies on the shounen formula when they run out of original ideas. The writing of Magi's second season is everything bad about anime personified. The problem is that it lacks the self awareness to admit that it is a cliche and revel in it. There is no subtle wink to the viewer, no parody of itself, nothing. I'm sure that the rabid fans of the first season will eat this crap up and call it steak and potatoes.

You know a story goes wrong when you can predict not only the next scene but the entire episode, and still be thoroughly annoyed at it from just a couple of minutes. The plot is thin ice which the show crashes through spectacularly as the character driven side is a disaster. The story of Magi: The Kingdom of Magic is so craptacular that it isn't even aware of the fact that it is a parody of the first season, aimed at the fans too dumb to notice. I feel that paying attention to it has made me lose a little of the faith I had in humanity. Really, it isn't hard to be slightly original. It takes a particular gift to not have even a slight amount of creativity, but most of all it is an insult to the intelligence of anyone who views it.

On one hand, the story is bad. On the other, the characters are bad. Don't get me started about how annoying they are. To make it worse, the show choses the most annoying of the three main characters to focus on. It wouldn't have been such a problem had anyone had a personality that doesn't include the word "imbecile" in the description. There is "character development" in the way that we get a repeat of the first season only with less subtlety and absolutely no creativity. The standard "good guy going bad" makes a showing, because really, more trashy copy-pasted moments were needed for the characters in order to make them even more annoying.

Magi's second season has attrocious writing. It is a combination of a bad plot, worse characters, and one of the most horrid character based side of a story in recent history. There is nothing to like about it, and believe me, I tried. The only thing going for the writing is that it isn't quite as bad as it could be, but only by a hair. Usually, when something is this bad, it is an intentional parody. Here, it is an insult to the intelligence to the fans, who make the insult into truth by gushing about it.

Art (Animation and Sound):

The artwork of the series is the strong point, no doubt. But somehow, with the overdependence on superpowers turned what little character the first season had into a joke. The voice acting manages to go more over the top, and the animation is "cool" as in the eye-candy for children is forced down the viewer's throat. Other than that, just like the first season, Magi's little value is saved by it. It may be slightly worse, but it just can't cover up for how bad the writing is.

Other than that, you can expect more of the same from the first season.

Overall:

Magi's first season is about wasted potential yet gorgeous artwork. The second season has no potential and the artwork is a crutch. I will not watch the third season if it will happen, and cannot in good conscience recommend the second season to anyone.

1.5/10 story