Magi: The Kingdom of Magic

ferengi4's avatar By on Oct 17, 2014

This is my first review so sorry if its not amazing. But I have to say Magi: The Kingdom of Magic is amazing! I think its better then the original Magi which is strange since most of the time a animes first season or part is usally better then the next. Its great to look at, the music in it is amazing, and the story it self is unique and great. The only thing I can say bad about it was that I wish it was longer! But regardless its great and you will regret not watching it.

IAnnMichelle's avatar By on Sep 26, 2014

Unbelievably, this season is more epic then the first. The characters grow and reach their peak of strength and innner self. They experience adventures more challenging and wondurous then the first. This season is alos even more serious then the first as the main characters are faced with a grave challenge and threat to the survival of the world itself. New characters are interestroududed, while some old characers get a spotlight and others are pushed into the background of this show. some mysteries and questions are answered while new ones are introduced. It ending is satisfing but has room for clean up. Some things are still unaswered but also highly hint off that there will be a season to look forawrd too. The epic tale is obviously just in its prime and no where near a permanent end.

9.8/10 story
9.8/10 characters
9.9/10 overall
AnimeLordAnime's avatar By on Aug 22, 2016

One of the best animes i' ve ever seen great story good character development amazing music and art it deserves a 8.45 overall if you ask me ;)

8.3/10 story
7.6/10 animation
8.7/10 sound
9.2/10 characters
8.4/10 overall
Epimondas's avatar By on Jun 3, 2016

The character designs could use some serious work.  I do not despise gender confused characters, but I just find it a bit odd and a tad unrealisitc to have so many who are in one show doing the same kind of thing like in this anime.  As such, Yunan, Titus, Aladdin, and Judar, to name a few.  Judar, even more so in season one, has the body shape of a woman.  If you notice how long his abdomen are and how wide his hips are.  I don't really care, I just find it a bit odd to have it here and to such a degree and in such a story.  It just feels kind of off.  I do not see a strong resemblence to the Ray Harryhausen movies this series was likely at least in part inspired by, but it is still a decent story with a few loose ends or gaps here and there which was not a huge issue.  Gardo was one such example.  After his fight with Alibaba he displayed as the characters said a sense of awe and respect.  I got the image he would go on to be a close friend, pet, or even bodyguard, but nothing happened.

**Potentional Spoiler** This would have worked far better if they did not show him again then we would presume he either died or was no longer relevant to the story but by choosing to show that scene after the fight we are lead to believe something more was forthcoming. ***

Another little gap is why Morgiana essentially vanishes from the show for several episodes or for nearly a quarter of the season.  And when she finally shows back up, it almost feels hurried plus what is revealed hardly feels satisfying after such a long absence.  Other times it focused on one character too much like how Aladdin was featured in several in a row before we saw Alibaba again.  Or how the gladiator games went after his first fight, we do not get to see anything about what happens after and he is not seen again until he is breifly seen on a ship and again he vanishes until he shows up to fight suddenly several episodes later.  It feels planning could have been much better to better balance out characters and the story.  If it was all about one character or another then why bother featuring any of the other characters so much at all?  Compared to the first season, this one feels almost amaturish with how the story and characters are handled and their respective focuses compared to the overall series.  Season one was much better balanced.  So naturally, a fan should expect a similar treatment of it's characters in season two.  It maybe that too many characters were quickly introduced at once and needed screen time from an already rather full schedule divied out haphazardly.  The city of magic felt a bit too much like a Harry Potter movie.  And the outfits were obviously intended for girls yet everyone wore them.

It is hard to judge the animation because of how great Morgiana looks but how bad other characters look like tri trunk elephant man, or balloon head kid like Ahbmad, or elephant nose wizard king guy.  Alibaba doesn't look excessively childishly young like most the other main characters other than Sinbad and his entourage or the Kou royals or the red haired barbarian elites of Reim.  Still though too many characters look childish and even many so called adult characters do as well.

The story suffers because of several gaps and how frequently major characters are disregarded for extended periods.  It plods along none the less however and does have plenty of interesting plots, twists, and turns along the way which make it hard to stop watching.

The characters box suffers because it feels there are too many for the show to handle.  Yet what they do and actually pay some attention too are done pretty well.  I do not like how some major characters tend to vanish for extended periods or vanish completely before it feels like they are properly sent off like the gladiator trainer, his assistant, Gardo, the Bodyguard general because we see Ahbmad later but not him, or the classmates of Aladdin after the chaos starts erupting.  Muu seems pretty brutish but honestly has little depth beyond that save maybe a bit of care for his troops.  Kouen Ren is given a fairly deep set of characteristics though it is done in a fairly short amount of time such as his thirst for knowledge.  We are given a brief backstory of Kouha.  Kougyoku has perhaps the greatest character growth/change of anyone in the show, which made for a pretty interesting story.  She goes from psychotic warmonger, to woman in love, to mature enough to see the writing on the wall but not be bitter about it and find someone more interesting to pay attention toward.  Her sister that helped the Kouga clan kind of fades a bit into the backdrop though save for a few breif moments pondering the path her brother plans to take.

The sound is not bad but it does not have anything particularly special either about it.

Aside from a few fairly adult themes such as tackling the idea of slavery, child murder (yes there is at least one scene where a character tries to murder a child), occasional but modeslty revealing outfits such as worn by Morgiana, and some violence and grotesque bloodshed, I did not see much else that was something to be weary of regarding younger children to watch.  Still though, I would be extremely cautious about letting anyone under 12 watch it but even then I would recommend parental guidance.  About 14 or 15 is the yellow mark where it is more up to the parents to guide/watch with them or not but younger, I would recommend it.  I would not recommend it to anyone younger than 12 or maybe 11 if they are fairly mature and only if parents were to watch with them.  I do not think it would be wise to late 11-13 or 14 ish range to watch without adult supervision.  This season is a bit more violent than season one and features a few more hard drama moments like crimes against children.

6.5/10 story
7.5/10 characters
usa1ph's avatar By on Mar 13, 2016

It's much of the same of the first saeson. Though I hated how it had very little of Alibabba and Morgiana