Lovely Complex

on

Listening to several of my female friends over the years complain that they could never go out with a guy shorter than them just because, I get the impression that the ‘short guy: no go area' has become one of those unspoken rules for which there is no rational explanation. Let's be frank, it just doesn't fit the ideal image of a heart-stopping romance; how will the guy carry the girl over the threshold with such puny arms? How will he gaze down into her sparkling eyes as they embrace under the moonlit sky? And their first kiss is certain to be a cringe-worthy debacle. Well, in a bid of justice for the vertically challenged male, Lovely Complex has kindly asked the rules of love to get lost.

The bulk of LoveCom hinges upon one girl's frustrated pursuit of a boy, and although not strictly a new idea, this premise comes without the usual corniness that has haunted nearly every romantic comedy since the dawn of animation. Granted, the scenarios used to develop Risa and Otani's relationship are as unique as sliced bread, and include the familiar playing at the beach scene, the Japanese festival setting, the twist of the interfering bishounen, and the inevitable Valentine's Day episode. However, the ways in which the two protagonists react within those familiar scenes are hilariously dorky and make LoveCom a refreshing drama as well as a heart-warming romance.

While Risa's thwarted efforts easily make for the most memorable moments, their cliché nature is only enjoyable because the more serious height complex is never sidelined. Both Risa and Otani grapple with their insecurities on a regular basis; for example, while the girls around her often rely on their cuteness to attract boys, Risa is aware her height makes that option impossible when trying to win Otani - which is especially vexing when his ex-girlfriend is so adorable. What is commendable about the performance is that, rather than bludgeon us with the hollow ‘it's what's inside that counts' message, LoveCom actually portrays the characters in such a way that their personalities easily outshine their unconventional appearance. As the series progresses, Risa and Otani's height difference becomes less and less obvious, and, instead, I find myself more interested in their attempts to overcome their complexes.

My only complaint is that, as the ending approaches, LoveCom starts to take on a slightly different focus; a couple of  contrived plot developments are tacked on seemingly just to fill up air time, and, while still enjoyable, LoveCom takes on an anticlimactic ‘end of an era' feel.

With colours ranging from cheerful yellows to bold magentas without actually searing my retinas, LoveCom has an appealing summery look quite unlike many other romantic anime; while choosing to be bright and upbeat in tone, LoveCom avoids soft pinks and powdery blues and is thus neither overtly pretty like Ouran High School Host Club or dream-like in the way of Bokura ga Ita. On the other hand, motion is not animated as smoothly as it could be; but this isn't too much of a drawback considering LoveCom more often than not tries to capture extreme actions rather than smooth, subtle mannerisms.

More importantly, the animation of Risa's facial expressions deserves the credit for producing the biggest laughs. Only Ouran, Tengen Toppa, and Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan have had the honour of making me guffaw like a loon while hunched alone in front of my PC. In my experience, anime humour can be quite hit and miss, and while I might think ‘this is funny' in my head, I rarely actually laugh; but LoveCom makes peeing my pants an inevitable outcome just because of Risa's animation.

First, the bad news: LoveCom's soundtrack is suitable but includes mostly nondescript piano music which is not worth enjoying as part of an album. Specifically, the first pop opening theme and the more sedate ending theme are enjoyable on a basic level, but the second set of themes is nothing more than mediocre.

The good news is that Otani and Risa's voices are flawless (as are all the others), and my favourite voice actor by far has to be Otani's; his boyish charm does not just make for great comedic highlights but is also incredibly engaging when he is being serious.

Moreover, the exaggerated sound effects during the humorous sketches boost the comedy's effectiveness to stellar levels; for example, the echoed repetition of ‘rice' during one scene made me crack up so hard that my rib has been complaining ever since.

Personality compensates a lot for the unusual pairing of Risa and Otani, with great attention being paid to their peculiarities; to borrow a cliché, I feel I know these characters as well as I know my closest friends. The rest of the cast, on the other hand, are a sturdy support system for the two main characters, although, ultimately, not that memorable.

I imagine that for many female anime fans like myself, Risa will be easy to identify with, just because she suffers from a graceless dorky streak, can't pull off a cute demeanour even when she tries, and has unconventional tastes. For example, her obsession with a bishounen game character, and her family's subsequent mournful reaction, remind me of the numerous times my sister has tried (and failed) to cure me of anime. Being a refreshing change from the heavily-breasted femme fatales and the wide-eyed baby dolls found in so many other titles, Risa's entertainment value is through the roof.

Confident, devoid of any conceit, with concrete goals in life, a positive outlook, and plenty of wit, Otani is a charismatic person with a highly likeable combination of traits. Unlike so many male leads who take the stoic bishounen approach or else act like bumbling virgins, his personality, aided by the fantastic script and voice acting, makes it very easy to understand why Risa is besotted with him; in fact, his unconventional height is easy to forget because of this.

Most importantly, the two character share a natural chemistry which makes them believable not just as good friends, but as a compatible couple too. While much romantic comedy begins with the ‘bolt of lightning' scenario where two random individuals meet and are drawn to each other for some inexplicable reason, LoveCom portrays something far more realistic; Risa and Otani have known each other for a while, get along in an ordinary sense of the word, and actually manage to rub each other the wrong way on many occasions (to great comedic effect). Their compatibility thus springs from the ordinary things they share as friends, and from the realisation that they feel the most comfortable with themselves when in each other's company. The ultimate effect is heart-warming without being saccharine.

Overall

With a unique premise and such fun, well-developed protagonists, LoveCom is not just an upbeat story with a few comedic highlights, but a show that effortlessly evades the usual banality of the romcom genre to outshine almost anything else on offer. If you happen to be looking for a generous helping of the feel-good factor but want to avoid the side-order of stale cheese, then look no further than LoveCom.

7.5/10 animation
on

Lovely complex takes the cake as a romantic comedy anime.

It made me laugh as much as Ouran high school host club,

Made me cry as much as Kanon.

The story follows Risa, an overly tall japanese student and her rival, Otani who is very short for his age. The entire plotline follows their life through highschool and the drama that ensues between them.

One Enjoyable factor of this anime was the strength in the female lead. She was not afraid to speak her mind, and broke the stereotypes that many animes carried. While she remained a little bit clingly, she was able to express herself when it came down to it, and did not wait for the boy to come to her.

The anime gave me the warmest feeling every time I've watched it, and in total I have completed the series 5 times over the passed two years or so. It ends on a high note putting a great end to a fantastic series.

If this anime was a novel, it would be what we call a 'page turner'. The only downside to this series is when you begin to watch, you really can't stop. The beginning is a bit slow, but by the third episode it begins to get really good and therefore it is a high recommendation of mine.

I loved how every single character gets closure and not a single story is left unsatisfied. The english subs were completely accurate, and has left me on the ground in streams of laughter due to the hilarious dialogue and comical depictions of the character.

I would reccomend this anime to anyone who loves a good story, a happy ending and a good laugh.

on

Story: It did it for me! :p it made me laugh and it made me cry. I thought the story was unique. Definitely not your usual school life type of anime!

Animation: Maybe not the best possible animation but the facial expressions were priceless!

Sound: Also good. i liked the opening theme.

Characters: The two main characters were amazing and it did not take long at all to get close to them. I loved their humor and i loved how they cared for one another and were willing to work things out.

Overall: I will highly recommend this anime to anyone wanting to see no cheesy romance but rather a romantic-comic relief type anime. It was amusing and it kept me going..well i have to admit i pulled an allnighter on that one. I was curious to see how things will progress. The ending was also cool! i was not dissapointed at all! So if you haven't seen it yet, go for it! :)

9.5/10 story
9.5/10 characters
on

𝕀 𝕙𝕒𝕧𝕖𝕟’𝕥 𝕨𝕒𝕥𝕔𝕙𝕖𝕕 𝕒𝕟 𝕒𝕟𝕚𝕞𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕒𝕕𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟 𝕠𝕗 𝕒𝕟 𝕒𝕝𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕕𝕪-𝕔𝕠𝕞𝕡𝕝𝕖𝕥𝕖𝕕 𝕞𝕒𝕟𝕘𝕒 𝕚𝕟 𝕒 𝕝𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕥𝕚𝕞𝕖 (𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕝𝕒𝕤𝕥 𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕀 𝕤𝕒𝕨 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕀𝕥𝕒𝕫𝕦𝕣𝕒 𝕟𝕒 𝕂𝕚𝕤𝕤), 𝕤𝕠 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕒𝕟 𝕒𝕞𝕒𝕫𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕖𝕩𝕡𝕖𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕟𝕔𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕞𝕖. 𝕋𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕖 𝕨𝕖𝕣𝕖 𝕟𝕠 𝕝𝕠𝕠𝕤𝕖 𝕖𝕟𝕕𝕤, 𝕟𝕠 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕦𝕟𝕣𝕖𝕤𝕠𝕝𝕧𝕖𝕕 𝕤𝕙𝕚𝕡𝕤, 𝕟𝕠 𝕟𝕖𝕔𝕖𝕤𝕤𝕒𝕣𝕪 𝕤𝕖𝕔𝕠𝕟𝕕 𝕤𝕖𝕒𝕤𝕠𝕟… (𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕦𝕘𝕙 𝕀 𝕨𝕠𝕦𝕝𝕕𝕟’𝕥 𝕠𝕓𝕛𝕖𝕔𝕥 𝕥𝕠 𝕞𝕠𝕣𝕖 𝕃𝕠𝕧𝕖𝕝𝕪 ℂ𝕠𝕞𝕡𝕝𝕖𝕩). ℕ𝕖𝕖𝕕𝕝𝕖𝕤𝕤 𝕥𝕠 𝕤𝕒𝕪, 𝕀 𝕒𝕓𝕤𝕠𝕝𝕦𝕥𝕖𝕝𝕪 𝕒𝕕𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕕 𝕚𝕥.

𝕀 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕃𝕠𝕧𝕖𝕝𝕪 ℂ𝕠𝕞𝕡𝕝𝕖𝕩 𝕥𝕒𝕜𝕖𝕤 𝕡𝕝𝕒𝕔𝕖 𝕚𝕟 𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕠𝕗 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕚𝕣 𝕪𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕤 𝕤𝕡𝕖𝕟𝕥 𝕚𝕟 𝕙𝕚𝕘𝕙 𝕤𝕔𝕙𝕠𝕠𝕝. 𝕀 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕨𝕒𝕪 𝕚𝕥 𝕖𝕟𝕕𝕤 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕚𝕣 𝕘𝕣𝕒𝕕𝕦𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟, 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕓𝕖𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕪 𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕔𝕙 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕚𝕣 𝕔𝕠𝕞𝕞𝕖𝕟𝕔𝕖𝕞𝕖𝕟𝕥 𝕔𝕖𝕣𝕖𝕞𝕠𝕟𝕪, 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕪 𝕙𝕒𝕧𝕖 𝕖𝕩𝕒𝕞𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕦𝕡𝕔𝕠𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕗𝕦𝕥𝕦𝕣𝕖 𝕔𝕒𝕣𝕖𝕖𝕣𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕡𝕒𝕥𝕙𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕛𝕠𝕓𝕤 𝕥𝕠 𝕕𝕖𝕒𝕝 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕙. 𝕀𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕚𝕣𝕖 𝕒𝕟𝕚𝕞𝕖, 𝕨𝕖 𝕓𝕒𝕤𝕚𝕔𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕪 𝕨𝕒𝕥𝕔𝕙 𝕂𝕠𝕚𝕫𝕦𝕞𝕚 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕆𝕥𝕒𝕟𝕚 𝕘𝕣... 𝕒𝕤 𝕤𝕥𝕦𝕕𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕟𝕘 𝕒𝕕𝕦𝕝𝕥𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕡𝕖𝕠𝕡𝕝𝕖. 𝕀𝕥’𝕤 𝕒 𝕘𝕠𝕠𝕕 𝕖𝕟𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘, 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕒 𝕔𝕦𝕥𝕖 𝕠𝕟𝕖. 𝔸𝕟𝕕 𝕨𝕙𝕖𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕚𝕟𝕒𝕝 𝕤𝕠𝕟𝕘 (𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕔𝕦𝕣𝕣𝕖𝕟𝕥 𝕖𝕟𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕞𝕖) 𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕣𝕥𝕖𝕕 𝕡𝕝𝕒𝕪𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕚𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕓𝕒𝕔𝕜𝕘𝕣𝕠𝕦𝕟𝕕 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕣𝕒𝕔𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕤 𝕤𝕥𝕠𝕠𝕕 𝕚𝕟 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕟𝕥 𝕠𝕗 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕤𝕔𝕣𝕖𝕖𝕟 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕨𝕒𝕧𝕖𝕕 𝕘𝕠𝕠𝕕𝕓𝕪𝕖 (𝕡𝕣𝕠𝕓𝕒𝕓𝕝𝕪 𝕥𝕠 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕚𝕣 𝕤𝕔𝕙𝕠𝕠𝕝, 𝕤𝕚𝕟𝕔𝕖 𝕚𝕥 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕚𝕣 𝕘𝕣𝕒𝕕𝕦𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟, 𝕓𝕦𝕥 𝕀 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖 𝕥𝕠 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕜 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕪 𝕨𝕖𝕣𝕖 𝕤𝕒𝕪𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕘𝕠𝕠𝕕𝕓𝕪𝕖 𝕥𝕠 𝕞𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕪𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕞 𝕠𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕛𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕟𝕖𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕣𝕠𝕦𝕘𝕙 𝕙𝕚𝕘𝕙 𝕤𝕔𝕙𝕠𝕠𝕝 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕒𝕕𝕠𝕝𝕖𝕤𝕔𝕖𝕟𝕔𝕖 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕝𝕠𝕧𝕖), 𝕀 𝕗𝕖𝕝𝕥 𝕥𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕪, 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖 𝕀 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕒𝕔𝕥𝕦𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕪 𝕒𝕓𝕠𝕦𝕥 𝕥𝕠 𝕤𝕒𝕪 𝕗𝕒𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕖𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕠 𝕒 𝕘𝕣𝕠𝕦𝕡 𝕠𝕗 𝕝𝕠𝕧𝕖𝕝𝕪 𝕗𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕟𝕕𝕤.

𝕆𝕥𝕒𝕟𝕚’𝕤 𝕔𝕠𝕟𝕗𝕖𝕤𝕤𝕚𝕠𝕟 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕔𝕦𝕥𝕖𝕤𝕥 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕚𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕨𝕠𝕣𝕝𝕕. 𝕀 𝕒𝕝𝕞𝕠𝕤𝕥 𝕨𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕖𝕕 𝕤𝕠𝕞𝕖𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕥𝕠 𝕤𝕞𝕒𝕔𝕜 𝕂𝕠𝕚𝕫𝕦𝕞𝕚 𝕦𝕟𝕥𝕚𝕝 𝕤𝕙𝕖 𝕨𝕠𝕜𝕖 𝕦𝕡 𝕓𝕖𝕔𝕒𝕦𝕤𝕖 𝕤𝕙𝕖 𝕟𝕖𝕖𝕕𝕖𝕕 𝕥𝕠 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕣 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕤 𝕙𝕖 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕤𝕒𝕪𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕥𝕠 𝕙𝕖𝕣, 𝕟𝕠𝕨 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕙𝕖 𝕦𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣𝕤𝕥𝕠𝕠𝕕 𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕗𝕖𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕤. (𝔹𝕦𝕥 𝕀 𝕝𝕒𝕦𝕘𝕙𝕖𝕕 𝕨𝕙𝕖𝕟 𝕀 𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕝𝕚𝕫𝕖𝕕 𝕤𝕙𝕖 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕕 𝕙𝕚𝕞, 𝕓𝕦𝕥 𝕠𝕟𝕝𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕦𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕆𝕥𝕒𝕟𝕚 𝕤𝕒𝕚𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕤𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕤 𝕥𝕠 𝕙𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕙𝕖𝕣 𝕕𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕞.)</pre>

𝕄𝕪 𝔽𝕒𝕧𝕠𝕣𝕚𝕥𝕖 𝕡𝕒𝕣𝕥𝕤:

• 𝕀’𝕞 𝕟𝕠𝕥 𝕘𝕠𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕥𝕠 𝕖𝕩𝕡𝕝𝕒𝕚𝕟 𝕚𝕥, 𝕓𝕦𝕥 𝕥𝕙𝕖 “ℝ𝕀ℂ𝔼… ℝ𝕀ℂ𝔼… ℝ𝕀ℂ𝔼… ℝ𝕀ℂ𝔼… ℝ𝕀ℂ𝔼… ℝ𝕀ℂ𝔼… ℝ𝕀ℂ𝔼…” 𝕤𝕔𝕖𝕟𝕖 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕓𝕠𝕥𝕙 𝕗𝕦𝕟𝕟𝕪 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕤𝕒𝕕. ℙ𝕠𝕠𝕣 𝕂𝕠𝕚𝕫𝕦𝕞𝕚!
  • “𝕃𝔸 𝕃𝔸 𝕄𝔸𝕀𝕋𝕐 𝕊𝔸𝕄𝔸. 𝕋ℍ𝔸𝕋 𝕎𝕆ℕ𝔻𝔼ℝ𝔽𝕌𝕃 𝕊𝕄𝕀𝕃𝔼 𝕆𝔽 𝕐𝕆𝕌ℝ𝕊. 𝕄𝔸𝕀𝕋𝕐 𝕄𝔸𝕀𝕋𝕐 𝕃𝔸𝕃𝔸𝕃𝔸𝕃𝔸𝕃𝔸𝕃𝔸𝕃𝔸𝕃𝔸𝕃𝔸𝕃𝔸.” 𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕔𝕙𝕖𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕤𝕥𝕣𝕒𝕟𝕘𝕖𝕤𝕥, 𝕔𝕣𝕖𝕖𝕡𝕚𝕖𝕤𝕥, 𝕞𝕠𝕤𝕥 𝕒𝕞𝕦𝕤𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕀 𝕙𝕒𝕧𝕖 𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕕. 𝕀 𝕦𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕨𝕙𝕪 𝕚𝕥 𝕖𝕩𝕚𝕤𝕥𝕤 (𝕤𝕙𝕖’𝕤 𝕠𝕓𝕧𝕚𝕠𝕦𝕤𝕝𝕪 𝕥𝕣𝕪𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕥𝕠 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕘𝕖𝕥 𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕙𝕦𝕣𝕥 𝕤𝕙𝕖’𝕤 𝕓𝕖𝕖𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕣𝕠𝕦𝕘𝕙 𝕣𝕖𝕔𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕝𝕪 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝕦𝕟𝕣𝕖𝕢𝕦𝕚𝕥𝕖𝕕 𝕝𝕠𝕧𝕖), 𝕓𝕦𝕥 𝕚𝕥’𝕤 𝕤𝕥𝕚𝕝𝕝 𝕤𝕠… 𝕤𝕥𝕣𝕒𝕟𝕘𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕀 𝕙𝕠𝕡𝕖 𝕚𝕟 𝕝𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕪𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕤, 𝕙𝕖𝕣 𝕗𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕟𝕕𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕖𝕤𝕡𝕖𝕔𝕚𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕪 𝕆𝕥𝕒𝕟𝕚 𝕓𝕣𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕚𝕥 𝕦𝕡 𝕛𝕦𝕤𝕥 𝕥𝕠 𝕥𝕖𝕒𝕤𝕖 𝕙𝕖𝕣 𝕒𝕓𝕠𝕦𝕥 𝕚𝕥 𝕞𝕖𝕣𝕔𝕚𝕝𝕖𝕤𝕤𝕝𝕪.
  • ℕ𝕠𝕓𝕦-𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕟 𝕒𝕓𝕠𝕦𝕥 𝕆𝕥𝕒𝕟𝕚: “𝕎𝕒𝕚𝕥𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕘𝕦𝕪 𝕥𝕠 𝕥𝕒𝕜𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕚𝕟𝕚𝕥𝕚𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕧𝕖 𝕚𝕤 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖 𝕘𝕠𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕗𝕚𝕤𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕚𝕟 𝕒 𝕤𝕨𝕚𝕞𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕡𝕠𝕠𝕝.” 𝕊𝕦𝕔𝕙 𝕒 𝕡𝕖𝕣𝕗𝕖𝕔𝕥 𝕒𝕟𝕒𝕝𝕠𝕘𝕪, 𝕙𝕒𝕙𝕒.
  • 𝕀 𝕔𝕣𝕒𝕔𝕜𝕖𝕕 𝕦𝕡 𝕨𝕙𝕖𝕟 ℕ𝕠𝕓𝕦-𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕟 𝕒𝕤𝕜𝕖𝕕 𝕂𝕠𝕚𝕫𝕦𝕞𝕚 𝕒𝕓𝕠𝕦𝕥 𝕙𝕖𝕣 𝕟𝕖𝕔𝕜𝕝𝕒𝕔𝕖, 𝕨𝕙𝕚𝕔𝕙 𝕆𝕥𝕒𝕟𝕚 𝕘𝕒𝕧𝕖 𝕙𝕖𝕣, 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕚𝕕𝕟’𝕥 𝕨𝕒𝕟𝕥 𝕂𝕠𝕚𝕫𝕦𝕞𝕚 𝕥𝕠 𝕥𝕖𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕞 (𝕓𝕖𝕔𝕒𝕦𝕤𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕪 𝕨𝕠𝕦𝕝𝕕𝕟’𝕥 𝕝𝕖𝕒𝕧𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕞 𝕒𝕝𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕚𝕗 𝕤𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕚𝕕), 𝕤𝕠 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕚𝕣𝕤𝕥 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕤𝕙𝕖 𝕔𝕠𝕦𝕝𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕜 𝕥𝕠 𝕤𝕒𝕪 𝕥𝕠, “𝕎𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕖 𝕕𝕚𝕕 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕘𝕖𝕥 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞?” 𝕚𝕤, “𝕆ℍ! 𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕒 𝕘𝕚𝕗𝕥… 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝔾𝕆𝔻.”

7.9/10 animation
on

I just finished watching Lovely Complex and I am surprised at how it turned out. The story is unique in the sense that it challanges aspects of a relationship that most people value. The obvious one being a height difference. I think it is expected that the man be taller than the woman and it is perceived as different otherwise. Not only does the story put this in perspective but it also touches on the fact that you can fall in love with your best friend even if attraction is not there to begin with and the relationship can blossom from there. With such stiatuons as the main concept of the story, the plot was developed beautifully to explore said topics. Who has not met someone who had to transition from the friend-zone to a romantic interest? It even makes you wonder if said relationships are stronger than those that start out as physical attraction because those individuals are already very compatible. I honestly like the concept of the story and very much enjoy the main character's relationship grow to what we see at the end. The only reason why I did not give it a 10/10 is because I felt that maybe there were too many episodes. The story was a bit too slow for me but I got to admit that by the end I was already in love with all the characters.

The animation was great! There is a lot of comedy in this anime and the animation definitely adds to it. I found the design of the characters to be nicely done. Risa was beautiful! The sounds was okay, I didn't particularly loved any of the opening or ending themes.

The characters were amazing! Otami and Risa are fun characters to watch with awesome personalities :) There is not much explored about the secondary characters up to the last episodes but even then eveyrhting turined out well. You can't help but fall in love with everyone with this story!

9.3/10 overall