Love Live! School Idol Project

ganon11000's avatar By on May 28, 2015

This review covers Season 1 & 2

Uplifting and fun moe with some feels

Watched up to: Episode 13 + 13 (all)
Animation (10%): Not bad. There is obvious CGI on the performance scenes which is distracting but it's nothing too bad. (60/100)
Story (25%): Good. Its a basic story that is not always predictable. (75/100)
Characters (25%): Very well done. They all have their own personalities and unique appearances. (90/100)
Music (10%): Great. (87/100)
Enjoyment (30%): I enjoyed this a lot and found it very uplifting. The feels moments were also done well. (95/100)
Fan Service (0%): Low.
Who I would recommend it to: People who like the Moe art style, people who like Idol Music anime and people who want something that is uplifting most of the time.
6% + 18.75% + 22.5% + 8.7% + 28.5% = 84.45 = 8/10, 4/5

7.5/10 story
8.7/10 sound
8.4/10 overall
Skpc's avatar By on May 20, 2016

Hello, my name is Crow, and welcome to my review~

Story: 6/10

To prevent her school from being closed, Kousaka Honoka starts an idol group in hopes of attracting more students for next year. I don't have much else to say about the plot, honestly, it's just about what you'd expect from a moe idol show. The girls write some songs and hold performances, but this is not a story-driven anime, and way more focus is spent on the girls' personalities and relationships rather than an overarching storyline. It's extremely predictable, but it can be pretty enjoyable for lovers of cute, lighthearted slice of life shows.

Animation: 7/10

The characters are easily distinguishable from each other without ridiculously over the top designs, and the artstyle itself (along with the color choices) is very nice, with just the right amount of adorableness. The dance moves during the live shows are especially well animated, and I'd have easily given this category an 8 or even a 9 had it not been for the 3D animation used during the performances. Plus the fact that they kept rapidly switching between 3D and 2D just made it even worse to the point where I straight up stopped paying attention to the screen while the live shows were going on.

Sound 9/10

If anything, the music was really damn good, at least in my opinion. I'm not a big fan of Jpop but I found quite a few songs that I very much enjoyed, and there weren't really any that I actually disliked. The voice acting is fitting; cute, but not high-pitched enough that my ears start bleeding, and the voices themselves were pretty much perfect for the characters in my opinion. Also, Maki's voice actress's singing is μ'sic to my ears (pun intended) and is definitely the most beautiful of them all. Just saying.

Characters 7/10

On one hand, we have characters like Nico and Eli; well developed for a moe anime, with their own nice little character arcs and backstories. And then on the other hand, we have Honoka, the most boring anime character I have ever laid my eyes upon, as the protagonist... Alright, that last part was a lie. But that's how I felt while watching the anime because there was just so much focus on her in particular (since she's the main character and all) that I got really fed up with her. I can literally describe her in one word: passionate. And yes, that is pretty much all there is to her personality (aside from her being lazy as hell about anything other than her school idol work).

I found the rest of the cast to be more likeable though, with varying character development (nothing too phenomenal but still better than Honoka), so there's that. And by the way, Kotori is best girl. Fight me.

Overall enjoyment: 8/10

I probably sounded like I was bitching very hard about Love Live, but I was just more focused on voicing my major complaints other than its good points. To be fair, those are pretty much the same as with any other moe: a cute show that doesn't take itself overly seriously but can still make you shed a tear or two if you get emotionally attached to the characters. And did I mention cute? Seriously, this anime is adorable as heck, and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys moe series. As for anyone else, feel free to check it out if you'd like, just make sure not to have too high expectations, since fun/entertaining is all it is.

I hope you enjoyed reading my review of Love Live! School Idol Project. This has been Crow, salutations, signing out~

aliblol's avatar By on Apr 14, 2016

okie i made my way to school idol hell i guess. Well i am addicted to the game and i've loved the series! At first i wasn't sure this would be my kind of anime as i don't really enjoying singing and school life, however OMG CUTIES arghh i couldn't stop.

JUST DO NOT WATCH THE DUB IT WILL RUIN YOU FOREVER!

okie thats it i suck at reviews so yeah. Watch the anime and the movie. Watch all the music videos. Play the game. Get addicted aand fall into idol hell :)

Stormbrook's avatar By on Mar 14, 2016

Love Live is an anime that took me by storm. I originally watched Locodols, which is very much like this anime. If anyone hasn't seen Locodols then I reccomend it before this anime for a variety of reasons. It's lower budget and is a whole lot slower pace then this anime, and also is less predictable. So if anyone enjoyed Locodols then Love Live should be an epic of all proportions.

The story calls for an antagonist just to call "Plot Development." This is the greatest flaw and you can see a rival group coming a mile away.

Characters.
Characters while they do have cliche's there are overllaping character arcs which is unusual. What separates them is that the story is much better when there are two characters who are similar. They aren't the same because say A is obsessed with Idol groups and B is super shy but also obsessed. Each group has their own seniors like in other clubs, IE there's juniors, sophmores, and freshmen each of 3. With such a large cast there are only a few minor flaws with the cliche's. Yet the characters are the driving portion of the story. I also envisioned having some say boys, but then again boys and romance would hinder the story. It would create needless drama which I think the authors didn't add them on this basis. For the actors they seem to have chosen the voice actress Alladin for Nekko. What's really neat is that they are using upcoming future voice actors for all the females.

Sound doesn't need a comment. Beautiful.

Animation.

The animation in HD is crisps. However there are flaws in the fact that they avoid cars, and any 3D production scenes like riding bikes etc, due to them dancing in 3D. In one episode the production.

I always found myself inspired.

Conclusion.

Love Live is a must watch. There's always some appeal to someone. On top it's one of those animes that for the first few epsidoes (Minus one character) is family friendly.

9.5/10 characters
Aqua16's avatar By on Mar 8, 2016

( Warning- Includes slight spoilers)

Love Live is an anime about nine girls who become idols to save their school from shutting down.

Story: The story is pretty original for a 2013 anime since most of the anime of that year weren't that good in my opinion. Though it has its ups and downs.

Animation: The animation is pretty average since its the same cute, moe style that is normally overused, but it fits the story and setting.

Sound: Love Live has some very good songs. From the upbeat Bokura Wa Ima no Naka de, to the passionate Start Dash! Each character has a different voice, and its to know who is singing. Though the background music is pretty mediocre, it fits the story perfectly.

Characters: Each character is easy to distinguish from each other, while its obvious to see that the Love Live characters took some inspiration from past anime such as K-on, the Love Live characters are cute, and easy to fall in love with.

Overall: I will have to say that overall Love Live is a good, inspirational anime that anyone can watch. It is a good anime to watch and enjoy with your family.

~ Aqua