Le Chevalier D'Eon

roriconfan's avatar By on Jul 28, 2012

The premise in a very short description: A little bit before the French Revolution a bunch of wizards want to use poems and psalms to create a new world order and are faced against a man who transforms into his sister.
… LOLWUT???

Just like most anime, this could easily be a gem but unfortunately the makers were no professional screen directors and wasted a lot of its appeal on what I call “sounds good but looks bad”. And I don’t mean the visuals, which are very good. Production I.G. never fails to create aesthetically pleasing series and mature settings, yet at the same time their characters are not exactly the kind you bind with easily. They feel kinda cold and robotic. I mean just look at their faces; they are so distant. Not that I prefer those endless shounen delinquents or those moe cardboards; it’s just that they are good as personalities but lack imposing presence on screen. The director also seemed to be able to make something good about it but eventually didn’t. Furuhashi Kazuhiro did a good job in goldies such as Rurouni Kenshin and the old version of Hunter X Hunter but he then lost his touch by taking up various forgettable shows such as GetBackers and Amatsuki.

Anyways, the story is taking place during the French Revolution and mixes history with fantasy. And I’ll be damned if I don’t compare this to Rose of Versailles or Revolutionary Girl Utena, two of my retro favorites with French overtones, as means to explain why it looks bad. The problem is that it has no memorable characters or setting. What exactly is this show? A mystery/fantasy/adventure/fantasy? If so, what makes it to stand out or worth remembering? WHAM! Nothing.

And don’t tell me the French setting is enough because from the fantasy angle Rose and Utena were ten times more artistic and poetic, while from a history angle, Chevalier is very loose about it to the point it doesn’t really matter. And if I am to compare it to other I.G. animated series, Ghost in the Shell or Serei no Moribito had a specific theme, rare to all other anime. Chevalier once again has no specific objective or theme; it is almost a generic fantasy story.

By generic, I don’t mean it is mediocre or lazily written; in the contrary the story is quite elaborate and mixes nicely history with fantasy, while not neglecting to develop and flesh-out its characters. The problems here are both the pacing as well as the character appeal. The first part is easy to excuse; for the most part the anime is DAMN slow and unexciting, heavy on well-written dialogues that are otherwise unrelated to the main plot. As for the second, as I said the characters are interesting as personalities but lack presence. I am referring to them not being over-sexualized or with wacky personalities that would make them stand out because of its extremity. Come on; 99% of all memorable anime characters possess one or both of these features.

There is of course a third element that could help; the artistic direction of the series that bridges the setting with the characters as they are directly affected and affecting their surrounds. Think of Motoko in GitS, the cyberpunk setting fits like a glove. Think of the pseudo-Chinese world of Serei no Moribito and how its themes of obedience and honor were fitting there as well. Once again, this series lacks since the French backdrop is not really related to the characters or the story; it is just a fancy decoration. In fact, the thing that stands out AND is directly related with characters and story is an organization of mystics who collect magical hymns and poems that magically alter reality. Why do you need France to show all that? Just so you can show-off with a bunch of historical figures? Maybe to show the intrigue and backstabbing of the nobles of Europe? Yeah, and then a hoard of zombies storms the Versailles; how historical accurate (seriously, there are zombies in this show). Sorry but I don’t see the connecting points in this; the setting is simply unrelated to the story and despite how gorgeous it looks it is nothing more but a fancy wallpaper. Combined with the dull plot for 2/3rds of the anime and no wonder most viewers find it hard to complete this show.

Another point of how dull this show is lies in D’Eon, the protagonist himself… or herself. It is a human being that not only crossdresses but also crossgenders… like a lizard… with magic. It is part of the fantasy aspect of the show and trust me when I say it ends up being more annoying than catchy. First of all the protagonist is based on a historical figure which was JUST crossdressing. Going for this gender bender is an insult to him and history altogether, further alienating the viewer from both the setting and the attempt to be historical accurate. Beyond that, it is again useless to the plot. His sister could easily appear as a ghost or something and it wouldn’t make a difference if he could just crossdress the usual way. Hell, this way it would also attract ten thousand fujoshis to the show. And if I am to compare him with other characters that do the same ( Ranma ½ is the most famous example) he is again found to be the dullest of them all. Just think that something similar counts for all the rest of the characters; they are all very loosely based on the real historical figures which will insult those who know their past, and at the same time make them look all serious and uninteresting.

This is yet again one of those anime that most find dull yet those who are mostly interested in the theoretical aspect of the story or the superficial looks of the setting will love it. Oh sure, turn a blind eye to the dull plot, the cold characters, the lack of a central theme, the absence of memorable scenes and EVERYBODY can like it. You might as well give the script and the brainstorming sketches to these people, they will still love it the same even without watching the show. In the meantime the rest of humanity actually cares if a series is boring to follow or the characters look like statues.

… What else? Oh yes, the sound part; I always have very little to write about it if the whole series is boring. So yeah, the soundtrack is some pop/ballad/electronic guitar combo. Nice to hear but nothing memorable. The voice actors do a fine job in making the characters sound as serious as they really are and again nothing memorable. Sound effects ARGH ANNOYING PSALM EFFECTS!

So there you go; a show that sounds good but looks bad… and I don’t mean the soundtrack is better than the visuals. It’s not. I HATE THOSE PSALMS! The appeal is simply off.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 8/10
Analysis: General Artwork 2/2, Character Figures 1/2, Backgrounds 2/2, Animation 1/2, Visual Effects 2/2

SOUND SECTION: 6/10
Analysis: Voice Acting 2/3, Music Themes 3/4, Sound Effects 1/3

STORY SECTION: 4/10
Analysis: Premise 2/2, Pacing 0/2, Complexity 1/2, Plausibility 0/2, Conclusion 1/2

CHARACTER SECTION: 5/10
Analysis: Presence 1/2, Personality 1/2, Backdrop 1/2, Development 1/2, Catharsis 1/2

VALUE SECTION: 2/10
Analysis: Historical Value 0/3, Rewatchability 0/3, Memorability 2/4

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 2/10
Analysis: Art 0/1, Sound 0/2, Story 1/3, Characters 1/4

VERDICT: 4.5/10

4.5/10 overall
chaoserver's avatar By on May 24, 2011

Le Chevalier's story is difficult to review, on merit of it's nonexistence. That being said, what the developers mistook for a plot was indeed terrible. Allow me to lay the formula for every episode in the series: 1. A. Issue presents itself(zombies)/B.sit around speaking of nothing(order may vary) 2. The main character turns into a female posthumous super saiyan(their sister) 3. Episode ends, nothing has been accomplished. 4.Repeat 25 times.

The break in this pattern, is the conclusions ritual, in which once more characters do nothing while the zombified king sits in his very cool bed(which I must note is the coolest element in the series) also talking about nothing. At this point I was nearly bored into a coma, however the revelation that the series had given a mystical explanation for Robespierre's historical relevancy, simply made me turn it off.

In other words, Le Chevashit holds the award for both the worst, and most disappointing series in history, ever.

Mediocre series with mediocre animation.

The most profound thought Le Chevashit generates, is the wonder if it had any characters at all. After all, half of every episode was dedicated solely to the pointless exchange of words between what could have been the same person. What I mean, is that no character had a personality, or any feature that differentiated them, other than the use of psalms(spells) which proved to quickly become boring due to lack of sufficient explanation, or desire to locate an explanation due to the lack of any story.

It got to the point where I was satisfied to see the crude Zombies, or Zombie dogs arrive if it meant a few moments reprive from the cast. Speaking of which, I forgot until now that the only break in the episodes pattern, is the type of zombie which would arrive in a pack each episode. However this does not provide the suspense one might think, as it is usually a different size of zombie, or merely a different animal. The means to defeat these hordes always was by the blade of zombie-sister-spirit, though the cast insisted upon fighting them until the brink of defeat each episode, regardless.

There was a bitch with a skull or some shit too, but seriously, I blocked this shit out of my memory.

The only character with a nice design, revealed himself as a total bore, as dry as the rest of the characters, capable only of casting boring psalms, surprise, surprise.

I mentioned the king was a zombie, right?

Overall

What made D'eon very special was it's ability to combine characters to create a collectively useless cast. This exclusive trait, simultaneously granted it the position of a worthless production, factually the worst in recorded history. D'eon ruined a good high, badly. I went from estatic and euphoric(from drugs) to depressed and confused. One minute my friend and I were laughing at how vacant the story was, and the next he sat, zombified, and it was only a matter of minutes before I too became uncomfortable, exhausted, and discontent with my consciousness. Both my friend and I had to recuperate for hours, and advise that one must avoid this series to maintain a healthy existence.

It is in this moment, that I declare the reviews, and general opinions of the following individuals to be false:andistarNajaraja, and ohtoriakio. These individuals, through malicious will to fellow man, or by psychotic break, have endowed this atrocity to sentient life, with a not only passable, but perfect scores.

" I loved this show. If you like french history or Zombies you should watch this. Not bad Animation and the story is well written. "

Disturbing madness. I propose that you in fact are a brain dead zombie, content with the vision of your brethren upon a monitor. The story is one that you can no doubt follow, this due of course to it's nonexistence.

The others I mentioned are either far too cunning, or far too insane for my words to reach, so thus I can only implore you to not wander down the same path as they.

This is the worst production I have ever seen or reviewed.

While this may have been written satirically all comments contained are genuine, watch with caution.

Hajime's avatar By on Sep 24, 2010

One man, one woman, together, fighting for not only themselves, but for France. Struggle all you want but you will not escape the espionage and intrigue that this anime offers, so many twists and turns, even Jesus himself will keep you saying wow, this is all based off truth! the added bonus of the dvd is the historical facts added....I know so much French history these days...thats awesome.....in Australia I promise you that France isn't talked about that much...well enough to know anything about it past snails haha

andistar's avatar By on Aug 23, 2010

I loved this show. If you like french history or Zombies you should watch this. Not bad Animation and the story is well writen.

ohtoriakio's avatar By on May 2, 2010

I just finished watching this and now would be the best time to share my thoughts about it. Having read most of the manga before actually viewing it, I have to say the story was not exactly what I expected - in both the adaptation or the pace. This is not to say it was not an enjoyable or even memorable experience. Le Chevalier D'Eon provides entertainment in spades; twists, hidden meanings and agendas at every turn and a rich textured plot that lends itself to multiple viewings.

Part of the appeal of D'Eon is how well and thoughtfully the historical setting of pre-Revolution France is recreated. The landscapes and buildings are drawn with rich detail and exquisite texture. The one aspect where the recreation fails is that the landscapes have nothing distinctive about them. Another series with a similar setting called Rose of Versailles managed to capture the allure of French artists such as Claude Monet or Van Gogh in the recreation of those landscapes. The artists/animators of ROV captured that allure and liveliness in their rendering of the beautiful landscapes, and sadly the creators of D'Eon failed in that regard. What the series does possess over Rose Of Versailles though is technological progress. Scenes are animated with great skill and panache. The Psalms that appear on the Poets and the possessed are very well depicted. The character design is beautiful, if again lacks the identity of shows like Revolutionary Girl Utena or Gankutsuou (both series that bear resemblance to D'Eon in the setting and character development).

The aspect where D'Eon as a whole excels is in the storyline department. Much like ROV before it, D'Eon is narrated - which not only gives a classic storytelling quality to the show, but also a historically relevent one. Sure, the adaptation is fictitious but it is blended so well with the setting that it does not ring false enough to be of particular annoyance to purists. The storyline is so convoluted it might take one quite a few viewings to fully grasp every aspect and every motive why everything takes place. This is to me, a quality in a series - one that requires mutiple viewings is the more enjoyable for them and also one with tremendous value. The only clunk in that department is that the pace was a little flat in the middle of the series, this does not take away from the richness of the content however.

Without the great cast though, the story would fall flat - and the creators hit gold again with a rich, multi layered and diverse cast. The main cast of D'eon, Lia, Maximillien, Robin, Durand and Teillagory are well fleshed out and ring true to their convictions and historical settings. Some supporting characters might have benefited from some more attention but given the 24 episode format, they are adequately moulded. The cast also does a great job voicing the characters and the soundtrack further highlight the characters' emotions and turmoils. With the soundtrack, the songs are strong and diverse enough to please and be relevent to the locations where the characters find themselves - however they lack the identity to truly shine.

Overall watching D'Eon was a very pleasurable experience, if at times a little heavy to take in with the amount of information thrown at you in any given episode. The inconsistency is the pace towards the middle takes away from making this a classic in the league of Gankutsuou, Utena or Rose of Versailles - it is however an excellent, enjoyable series with lots to offer.