Le Chevalier D'Eon

Najaraja's avatar By Najaraja on Oct 11, 2009

Paris, 1742. It is pre-revolution France and Versailles, under the rule of Louis XV shines in all it’s splendor and glory. D’Eon de Beaumont serves as a knight to King Louis but when his sister Lia’s body is found floating down the Seine river, D’Eon swears to find the people responsible for her murder. However, Lia’s spirit is not satisfied with allowing her brother to do the work on his own and so she takes up residence in his body, taking over at key times in order to exact her revenge. D’Eon and his comrades enter into a dark world of secret societies and unexplainable phenomena in their quest to uncover the truth behind the death of one of the most famous noblewomen of France.

Le Chevalier D’Eon (for those of you who don’t speak French that’s “D’Eon the knight”) is based off a historical fiction novel by the same name which is, in turn based on a real person. This fact alone inspired me to grab up this series. Not only do I love period pieces, I love true stories. However, there is way too much weird stuff for it to be true, so I was just satisfied knowing that the person D’Eon de Beaumont actually existed and leave it at that.

Le Chevalier starts us off with the discovery of Lia’s body and from there it is a political and supernatural thriller the whole way home. You really have to pay attention in this one or you will become totally lost. The plot can get confusing but it is satisfying from beginning to end. Whether you are watching it for the political intrigue or the creepy supernatural stuff, you aren’t going to walk away from this one disappointed.

I really loved the characters in this series. They were all believable, especially D’Eon. In most anime being possessed by another person is kind of…well…staple and so the main character simply accepts it. But it takes D’Eon about 6 to 8 episodes to finally concede that he is in fact a vessel for his sister’s spirit while she is on her path of vengeance. And what a path it is! D’Eon is a skilled swordsman but Lia kicks some major booty and she is easily the most interesting character in the show. And she’s dead, even! That’s an accomplishment.

Taking a step back from blowing things up, super powers, and silly names for ultimate moves, Chevalier is filled with fencing and all those glorious period piece things that I love so much. The animation is very well done. The character design is realistic. There are no cutesy characters in this one.

As for content, Chevalier is less than Amadeus and more than The Man in the Iron Mask. The language is mild, there is partial nudity but nothing too bad, however it does tend to get a little bloody. I would recommend it for 16+. Keep in mind, this is more a political thriller than anything else, so if you’re looking for an action packed, blow ’em up series subtract 2 points. 10/10

ohtoriakio's avatar By ohtoriakio on May 2, 2010

I just finished watching this and now would be the best time to share my thoughts about it. Having read most of the manga before actually viewing it, I have to say the story was not exactly what I expected - in both the adaptation or the pace. This is not to say it was not an enjoyable or even memorable experience. Le Chevalier D'Eon provides entertainment in spades; twists, hidden meanings and agendas at every turn and a rich textured plot that lends itself to multiple viewings.

Part of the appeal of D'Eon is how well and thoughtfully the historical setting of pre-Revolution France is recreated. The landscapes and buildings are drawn with rich detail and exquisite texture. The one aspect where the recreation fails is that the landscapes have nothing distinctive about them. Another series with a similar setting called Rose of Versailles managed to capture the allure of French artists such as Claude Monet or Van Gogh in the recreation of those landscapes. The artists/animators of ROV captured that allure and liveliness in their rendering of the beautiful landscapes, and sadly the creators of D'Eon failed in that regard. What the series does possess over Rose Of Versailles though is technological progress. Scenes are animated with great skill and panache. The Psalms that appear on the Poets and the possessed are very well depicted. The character design is beautiful, if again lacks the identity of shows like Revolutionary Girl Utena or Gankutsuou (both series that bear resemblance to D'Eon in the setting and character development).

The aspect where D'Eon as a whole excels is in the storyline department. Much like ROV before it, D'Eon is narrated - which not only gives a classic storytelling quality to the show, but also a historically relevent one. Sure, the adaptation is fictitious but it is blended so well with the setting that it does not ring false enough to be of particular annoyance to purists. The storyline is so convoluted it might take one quite a few viewings to fully grasp every aspect and every motive why everything takes place. This is to me, a quality in a series - one that requires mutiple viewings is the more enjoyable for them and also one with tremendous value. The only clunk in that department is that the pace was a little flat in the middle of the series, this does not take away from the richness of the content however.

Without the great cast though, the story would fall flat - and the creators hit gold again with a rich, multi layered and diverse cast. The main cast of D'eon, Lia, Maximillien, Robin, Durand and Teillagory are well fleshed out and ring true to their convictions and historical settings. Some supporting characters might have benefited from some more attention but given the 24 episode format, they are adequately moulded. The cast also does a great job voicing the characters and the soundtrack further highlight the characters' emotions and turmoils. With the soundtrack, the songs are strong and diverse enough to please and be relevent to the locations where the characters find themselves - however they lack the identity to truly shine.

Overall watching D'Eon was a very pleasurable experience, if at times a little heavy to take in with the amount of information thrown at you in any given episode. The inconsistency is the pace towards the middle takes away from making this a classic in the league of Gankutsuou, Utena or Rose of Versailles - it is however an excellent, enjoyable series with lots to offer.

andistar's avatar By andistar on Aug 23, 2010

I loved this show. If you like french history or Zombies you should watch this. Not bad Animation and the story is well writen.

chaoserver's avatar By chaoserver on May 24, 2011

Le Chevalier's story is difficult to review, on merit of it's nonexistence. That being said, what the developers mistook for a plot was indeed terrible. Allow me to lay the formula for every episode in the series: 1. A. Issue presents itself(zombies)/B.sit around speaking of nothing(order may vary) 2. The main character turns into a female posthumous super saiyan(their sister) 3. Episode ends, nothing has been accomplished. 4.Repeat 25 times.

The break in this pattern, is the conclusions ritual, in which once more characters do nothing while the zombified king sits in his very cool bed(which I must note is the coolest element in the series) also talking about nothing. At this point I was nearly bored into a coma, however the revelation that the series had given a mystical explanation for Robespierre's historical relevancy, simply made me turn it off.

In other words, Le Chevashit holds the award for both the worst, and most disappointing series in history, ever.

Mediocre series with mediocre animation.

The most profound thought Le Chevashit generates, is the wonder if it had any characters at all. After all, half of every episode was dedicated solely to the pointless exchange of words between what could have been the same person. What I mean, is that no character had a personality, or any feature that differentiated them, other than the use of psalms(spells) which proved to quickly become boring due to lack of sufficient explanation, or desire to locate an explanation due to the lack of any story.

It got to the point where I was satisfied to see the crude Zombies, or Zombie dogs arrive if it meant a few moments reprive from the cast. Speaking of which, I forgot until now that the only break in the episodes pattern, is the type of zombie which would arrive in a pack each episode. However this does not provide the suspense one might think, as it is usually a different size of zombie, or merely a different animal. The means to defeat these hordes always was by the blade of zombie-sister-spirit, though the cast insisted upon fighting them until the brink of defeat each episode, regardless.

There was a bitch with a skull or some shit too, but seriously, I blocked this shit out of my memory.

The only character with a nice design, revealed himself as a total bore, as dry as the rest of the characters, capable only of casting boring psalms, surprise, surprise.

I mentioned the king was a zombie, right?

Overall

What made D'eon very special was it's ability to combine characters to create a collectively useless cast. This exclusive trait, simultaneously granted it the position of a worthless production, factually the worst in recorded history. D'eon ruined a good high, badly. I went from estatic and euphoric(from drugs) to depressed and confused. One minute my friend and I were laughing at how vacant the story was, and the next he sat, zombified, and it was only a matter of minutes before I too became uncomfortable, exhausted, and discontent with my consciousness. Both my friend and I had to recuperate for hours, and advise that one must avoid this series to maintain a healthy existence.

It is in this moment, that I declare the reviews, and general opinions of the following individuals to be false:andistarNajaraja, and ohtoriakio. These individuals, through malicious will to fellow man, or by psychotic break, have endowed this atrocity to sentient life, with a not only passable, but perfect scores.

" I loved this show. If you like french history or Zombies you should watch this. Not bad Animation and the story is well written. "

Disturbing madness. I propose that you in fact are a brain dead zombie, content with the vision of your brethren upon a monitor. The story is one that you can no doubt follow, this due of course to it's nonexistence.

The others I mentioned are either far too cunning, or far too insane for my words to reach, so thus I can only implore you to not wander down the same path as they.

This is the worst production I have ever seen or reviewed.

While this may have been written satirically all comments contained are genuine, watch with caution.

Hajime's avatar By Hajime on Sep 24, 2010

One man, one woman, together, fighting for not only themselves, but for France. Struggle all you want but you will not escape the espionage and intrigue that this anime offers, so many twists and turns, even Jesus himself will keep you saying wow, this is all based off truth! the added bonus of the dvd is the historical facts added....I know so much French history these days...thats awesome.....in Australia I promise you that France isn't talked about that much...well enough to know anything about it past snails haha