La Corda D'Oro ~primo passo~

Alt titles: Kin'iro no Chord: Primo Passo

babyeinstein12's avatar By on Jul 23, 2009

So how often do we hear "shoujo" and "classical music" uttered in the same sentence? Both entities dwell in vastly different realms of substance, media, and mind, and after watching La Corda d’Oro, I am convinced that it should stay that way. For the average shoujo-loving viewer, this series will be nothing more than a delicious catalogue of hot guys (who, as a side note, all happen to play instruments, but that doesn’t really matter). For the classical music junkie, it will twist a dearly beloved genre of music into something more akin to bubblegum pop.

Kahoko Hino, a regular high school sophomore, stumbles upon a fairy, receives a magic violin that anyone can play, and promptly finds herself in the school’s prestigious music performance competition. Throughout the next twenty-five dragging episodes, she gets to know her handsome competitors even while she confronts jealousy and sabotage. She also struggles to cope with her unfair advantage and her lack of skill. Sound interesting? It’s really not. Hino meanders along in a romantically drugged haze, and the show quickly tires with its loose plot and lackluster characters.

For those who enjoyed the masterpiece that is Nodame Cantabile, I urge you take precaution with La Corda. Within this sissified, sugared depiction of a rich Old World tradition, one will be acquainted with more sparkles than musical notes, with more tantalizingly open collars than instruments, with more bishonen than genius composers, and with more squeal moments than enriching tapestries of an underappreciated art form. Well, perhaps the intent of La Corda has always been more about catering to female viewers than educating them. But even the series’ shoujo elements, while pulled off in an aesthetically pleasing manner, hold the dangerous risk of leaving even the least discerning fangirls unsatisfied.

Of course, virtually all slice-of-life shoujo anime treads that fine line where filler and plot happily blend together. La Corda is no exception. Actually, the show benefits from an overarching premise with its four-round music competition; the viewer will see how Hino grows as a musician throughout the months that the competition spans. However, instead of shaping the competition as an integral plot device, the anime takes a form similar to a stock chart – moments of brief culmination at the competition rounds that give way to plotless lulls. The relationships that form remain hopelessly one-dimensional. The drama so integral to a shoujo is, in a word, nonexistent. The conclusion is slapdash, leaving absolutely no closure.

Bottom line: this series falls short in its role both as a showcase of classical music and as a shoujo anime.

La Corda d’Oro has a soft, pretty look, owing to its fine use of color shading. The backgrounds are not particularly detailed, but that does not mean they are simplistic. Actually, the pastel-like texture combines nicely with the clearly definable lines.

However, the series decides to spend most of its energy on a plethora of close-up face shots, which, while unneeded, become an integral method for retaining viewers. Shiny lips and smooth skin run unbounded in this anime. In fact, everyone’s skin is so smooth that they all resemble porcelain dolls. This is the show’s greatest strength – the men are positive drool-mats, even if they are shallow and indecisive to a one. At least, the prospect of impending eye candy is the thing that kept me watching.

Incidentally, La Corda appears to forgo CGI animation, which is normally fine, but hurts the scenes of people playing instruments. The musicians' movements are out of sync with the soundtrack. However, there is no need to worry, as most of the time we only see picturesque still shots that run throughout the performances.

For an anime that is supposed to emphasize the “heart” of classical music, La Corda hardly presents the best of what the genre has to offer. From countless Ave Marias to Chopin clichés, much of the featured pieces take the form of generic favorites, utilized to elicit the “Hey, I know this!” reaction than to actually refresh an old form of music. What’s even sadder is that, half of the time, they muddle up the titles. On the other hand, the music composed specifically for the anime boasts an inexplicable yet noticeable charm; I never tired of the background music.

The Japanese voice acting stands out not so much for how it was performed as for the actors behind the performances. Each seiyu speaks with a unique tone that supplies their respective characters with individuality. For example, Masakazu Morita's voice, which resembles a happy duck, virtually defines the trumpet player for me. Contrarily, the cellist’s voice is annoying, because it only slows down the already sluggish pacing. Whether I love a voice or hate it, La Corda succeeds in this aspect because the variety of lilts all so greatly help define a character’s identity from the others.

As with any reverse harem anime, the male cast becomes vital to La Corda 's survival. Each typecast is faithfully administered, from the cold prodigy to the friendly jock to the heartwarming nice guy. They fling into the mix the ever-popular “angel of light” who happens to have a dark side, as well as the aloof cutie pie. It’s as if nothing could go wrong with this tried-and-true arsenal of bodacious boys.

And yet, things do go wrong. Instead of the bishies coming into their own, they dig deeper and deeper into their preprogrammed personality modes. As a result, their bonds with Hino never grow. For example, the icy, talented Tsukimori continues sawing away at his violin, forever out of reach. The cheerful Hihara’s conversations never evolve past small talk. One could forget that the sleepy, supposedly endearing Shimizu even exchanged words with Hino on more than three or four occasions. At the end of the series, Hino’s friendship with each male does not seem to have expanded in any dimension.

This is not to mention the utter tedium that is the protagonist herself. Hino seems affable enough in the first episode. Yet as the anime continues, she judders into a completely static character, never progressing beyond the spouting off of pleasantries like “Oh, Hihara-kun!” or “I am going to try my best!” Then, to make things even more irritating, everyone begins to crush on her. Nothing connects.

Overall

Evidently, La Corda's superb art and well-gauged voices somewhat recompense the poor storyline and characterization. The series as a whole teeters on a precarious edge, and it all boils down to variances in taste and reasons for deciding to watch in the first place. One thing is sure: La Corda d’Oro has firmly planted itself within the ranks of the utterly mediocre.

Soccerlove180's avatar By on Nov 14, 2010

I had started this anime a while back but never finished it because every time I played a certain episode it was freeze, so I stopped trying and moved on. But then I thought about it and decided I'd try again. I started over, not really remembering which episode I was on. And this is only the second day that I've watching and I'm already done with. Anyway I have been ingulfed with the music and the story line. (I kinda have this thing about fearies :D). But I have to say that I will never be able to watch this anime in english because the original is just too good!

Around about half way through I was starting to have my doubts about this being a good anime... I annoyed and frustrated but I was also addicted. I couldn't stop watching. I was completely star struck. I also have to ask myself how the manga is, but when theres music envolved in a manga I just can't seem to get into it. I have to hear the notes! I know there is probably alot that you miss when you just watch the anime but I can't help it. I love music. I wish I could play the violin. And anothing thing, this anime is different from the anime I normally watch. But that can be a good thing. I enjoyed it, alot!

I'm going on and on about it and I haven't yet told you what I love about it (a side from the music part). I loved the fairy tale aspect. There were alot of truths to this anime, like believing in yourself, going back to the basics, opening up.

Story line: This girl who knows nothing about music has an encounter with a fairy who loves music. He gives her a magic violin. She's entered into this sort of musical contest and at first she does great. She starts to create friendships with the other conteastents and they start to open up just a little. But then she starts to feel guilty becuase she never really learned how to play the violin. And that's she begins to feel very bad and everyone who looked up to her, start to do the same. When everything feels like it couldn't get any worst, her cords break and the fairy can't seem to fix them. She tells everyone that she quit. But after they all express to her that they want to hear her music again she really starts to realize that she had fallen in love with the violin. She becomes welling to start at the beginning and take things slow, she learns how the fix her cords. And with everyone around her guilding and her love for music she stands on the stage again and plays the first peice she ever learned on the violin. This time she's not alone.

Beautiful story, I'm pretty sure that these words don't come anywhere close to describing it for you. But if you even made it to this line then please watch the anime for yourself. It truely is a wonderful story! Thank you for reading.

lalalollipop's avatar By on Jul 8, 2010

I like this anime a lot.My favorite thing about it is the boys,all good looking.Hihara is the one I like the most.The one I like the least is the flute player.Anyways,back to the story.This anime was full of drama and romance,which I look for in an anime.If you love romance I suggest you watch La Corda D'oro (the bond of gold).

yasmin09's avatar By on Aug 9, 2010

Story: I absolutely adore music and the art of playing an instrument. I was hoping to see the beauty of music mixed with some shoujo to create an all-together pleasing anime in La Corda d'Oro. Sad to say, I was highly disappointed in what a huge failure this anime was. It did not succeed in creating a good or coherent storyline nor make me appreciate music more than I already did. It was extremely slow and awkwardly paced with no coherence between the characters, their actions, or the behavior towards each other. Each episode ended strangely, trying to create suspense in the most ridiculous way, leaving me confused at what just happened rather than compelling me to watch the next episode. A good majority of the plot was extremely cliché and predictable, making it rather gag-worthy and frankly I had to force myself to finish. The characters were also very annoying in someway or another, especially the main lead making the anime thoroughly unenjoyable. I really hoped that it would improve later on through the show but it stayed consistently bad all the way through from start to finish.

Animation: I will give props to the rather lovely animation. The colors were vibrant and rich and when necessary more faded, especially during sunset when there is a more subdued haze. The people and background were nicely detailed and had lively expressions. The few problems I had though were the ridiculous hair colors chosen for the males and Fuyuumi. They were so glaringly vibrant and unnatural that they looked really tacky and had they been less fake looking, the characters would have been more attractive. The skin colors of some of the characters were also rather inconsistent. The biggest flaw in animation I saw would be the incoherence between playing the instrument and matching it up the music. There were clear discrepancies and also some of the playing was unnatural and awkward looking. Other than that, it was pretty decent animation.

Sound: The music was quite enriching at times while forgettable at others. The pieces played for each selection were lovely and made me want to go look up the pieces. The opening was beautifully played and sung though the ending was somewhat forgettable. The rest of the soundtrack was fairly decent but at times a little too dramatic for the seen or rather generic. I somewhat expected the soundtrack to better considering this anime revolves around music but it was very lacking in comparison to the selections pieces. It was generic and forgettable for the most part but the selection pieces stayed with me so I'd have to say, on the whole the music was pretty good.

Characters: Probably the biggest downfall for the show would be the lackluster and annoying characters. This is probably the biggest group in an anime that I strongly detest. One flaw that all the characters shared was their miraculous hearing for music within a 5-mile radius. It was just too implausible for them to hear music every time it is played especially if someone is in a store or in a sound-proof room. As for individual characters, the main girl was downright a pain. She whined, complained, cried and ran away from her problems constantly through the anime. She was selfish and uncaring towards music and her friends and had skewed logic that did not make sense especially when playing her magic violin and the way she dealt with the 'traumatic event' at one of the selections. Her "ehs?" drove me up the wall. She never paid attention to where she was going and would always run into people. She also fell in love with every single guy which was disgusting. She was also very inconsiderate through her actions, like the way she treated Lili or the way she would ignore people when they talked to her. There are just too many traits of hers that I dislike that I can't possibly list down all of them. Why a majority of the males fell for her is beyond me and they never clearly state their reason for why they like her. Their love for her is just extremely incomprehensible.

The male cast and the other females weren't much better. Tsuchiara did not have a good reason for giving up on the piano the way that he did though I did feel for him when he was forced to choose between music and sports. Hihara was funny but I could not get over the fact that he liked Hino-san so he alternated between being comical and annoying. I actually liked Len’s character because he had depth and had to deal with bullying yet he never gave up on the violin. Shimizu was fairly humorous though I didn’t like how he spoke so slowly. Yunoki was the one male I absolutely loved. The way he called Hino out on her flaws was refreshing and I’m glad that he verbalized what I was thinking. Fuyuumi is probably one of the most pathetic females I have seen. She can’t stand up for herself, and even cowers behind other females like a 7 year old kid when a male compliments her on her playing. The cast lacked in depth for the most part except for a few characters with few redeeming qualities.

Overall: An inconsistent anime that lacks character development and remains stagnant throughout. The characters were fairly generic stereotypes and when they tried to add depth, the attempt mostly fell flat. The plot had drama that was lame and predictable and could be seen a mile away and did not make me want to continue watching. This is not an enjoyable anime for romance or music lovers. Do yourself a favor and don’t bother watching this below mediocre anime.

6.9/10 animation
3.5/10 overall
Funkgun's avatar By on Aug 8, 2014

I think I am going to create a reverse romance!

First thing, I need a hapless heroine who is attractive to the males in the title for no in particular reason other than she is of the opposite gender.

We now need some guys. Let's make one A brawny sporty type who is into her, a fun guy who you can laugh at (but chances are slim the girl would end up with him) now we need the guy who acts like he doesn't like her at first, yeah just like that. Oh and a quiet cute boy.

Me: "You know what we are missing?"

Audience: "An Asshole guy?"

Yeah we need one of those. If we have enough time let's throw in some teachers that are way too old for the girl.   Hmm, we have too many guys, time to add some useless extra "girlfriends" who hardly help the story.  Now where is the mascot?  Yeah you know the magic in the story?  OK, now we have that let's get rolling. See, I can make the ingredients of a poorly constructed reverse Harem.

STORY: When one watches a reverse romance once must be careful not to run into an unending story of pretty boys who love the lackluster girl, but if you do look for a good hook. This one relied on the "magic" of a violin that is suddenly dropped in the hands of a girl who previously had no intentions of playing. Now I am not saying the initial premise was bad. For a title that came out when it did it tried hard to give us a reason to want to see the girl do well, but it does stumble a bit searching for an end. There are some strong moments and surprises as the top musicians play at 4 separate performances in which they are graded. It threw a few moves I did not expect and some issues with how the magic worked. But for the most part it was only a chore to watch once in a while, it hummed along well enough... But lord! Have a fucking end, please! It is not like they were ruining some fantastic piece of literature by ending it.

Animation: Quality standards are set by a 4 year old in an art school.  This really is a title that completely needs to revisit hair designs. Half the guys have a moppy pointy mess in a rainbow of colors, while a couple dudes at least enjoy stiff long hair.  And speaking of stiff, welcome to bad movement altogether. Luckily if they play instruments, the art team wisely chose a shot over a shoulder, or hands covered by a piano. Now there were a handful of violin plays that look like they gave that art to the A-team but as for the rest? D-team.

Sound: Now this is where the review part of the new format might need a change. The overall sound is different from the music, but seeing that the Music is the main strength of this title, I have to go there. There is music a plenty in this title, and a lot of the short arrangements were perfect for the instrument they were chosen for. Outside of hearing Ave Maria a wee bit much, I thought many of the choices were spot on. If you ever wanted a great classical OST seriously check this one out.  Also the intro song, while 90's adult contemporary in sound, was compelling, and I found myself listening to it each time it played.

Characters As I have mentioned, there are some good and some truly awful characters. The fact that the space cadet blond kid was my favorite character is not a good sign. Many of the characters seem to get their time in the sun with the heroine, but none get more than an episode of development... EXCEPT (Spoilers)

The asshole. Yes, the one guy in the title that is somewhat verbally abusive and surprisingly evil, gets the most dynamic story with his Grandmother (another asshole),

(Not spoilers)

Overall: I watched this with my wife and searched it out because she enjoyed another reverse harem that I actually disliked worse than this. In fact after we completed La Corda, I did look for all the sequel parts, such as the dreadful Summer episode, and the odd OAV ends, but in the end, if you like a reverse Harem, it is not as good as Fushigi Yugi or Fruits Basket, but it is loads better than Diabolic Lovers or Amnesia. The music helped, much like sugar making the medicine go down.