Kyousougiga

shadowtsunami's avatar By shadowtsunami on Dec 28, 2011

Kyousougiga- An anime wrapped in a mysterious world full of randomness, and wonder. Its frenzy filled animation, erratic storyline, and abnormal characters will have most of its viewers confused and probably wanting more.

Main Character

=====Story=======

The story is really hard to explain since it's only one episode, but if you have seen "Alice in Wonderland" or read "Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There" then this might ring a bit of a bell. Now Kyousougiga is not told quite like Alice in Wonderland, but there's some major similarities within it. However it is inspired by "Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There" because Koto is in a mirrored world of her home just like Alice was in Through the looking glass, the characters are indeed ripped straight from it (with some degree of originality given to them), and the storyline is pretty similar as well.

Koto, the main character, is a girl who somehow wanders into another world where she seems to be just as happy as can be. This world resembles a city that's full of glamour and can be classified as a mixed bag of everything that can be perceived within your imagination. It mostly consist of humans and spirits of all kinds (the Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass aspect) *Noted that the world itself is inside of a game that two unknown people are playing.* She along with her two little brothers, A and Un, begin to get into a fight with some unknown opposition.

They are apparently looking for the so called "rabbit", whose name just happens to be Lady Koto so that Koto and her brothers can accomplish what they are seeking (telling you is a major spoiler so i'll leave that out). However Lady Koto has been gone for a while. Her brothers begin to lose faith that they will ever find her, and Koto gets depressed. Koto is mistakenly identified as Lady Koto because of the wish she has.

So while this is happening the Assembly of the Three (Chief Priest, Yase, and Myoue) are planning something for Koto and are waiting for another character to arrive, but first Koto must prove that she really wants it by doing some kind of an exam. However the Assembly of the Three has it's own goal in mind.

After this some really weird stuff occurs, and you find out what Koto wanted out of it (similarly to Alice in Wonderland), and what they did for Koto in the end. (Watch after the ending credits too just FYI)

"Life, what is it but a dream?" is part of a poem that is mentioned within the first 30 seconds into the anime. This poem is actually part of a real poem called "A boat beneath a sunny sky". This poem is read at the end of Through the Looking Glass and serves as the underlying theme in the whole entire show. Once you finish you'll understand what the creators meant by this.

*My Thoughts*
I liked how very awkward the storyline is. It is a pretty great concept because Mirror Kyoto is I guess supposed to be a world/society inside of Kyoto that's strange. However what hurt the storyline most is how it progressed. Sure it was funny and entertaining, but the majority of the viewers won't understand what's going on. Also it was just too spontaneous and jerky. This actually could have been made to be at least a 3 episode OVA to explain all the loose ends, and tie them up. But I think what the creators where trying to go for is that the viewers should use their own imagination of what's a foot.

*Also what I didn't Like is that a viewer must have read Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found there, and watched Alice in Wonderland to even get a clue of what's going on.* I wish the creators would have at least mentioned this because then the storyline would have made complete sense to other people not familiar with Lewis Carroll classic.

Other than those flaws it is still pretty watchable.

======Animation========

It's a Cross between Fooly Cooly, Soul Eater, Summer Wars and Sacred Seven. The animation is surprisingly great. It is very COLORFUL like an Alice in Wonderland Scenario. The characters themselves also sport this very outlandish color scheme as well. We have so many bright and exhilarate colors that it just blows a viewers mind. Each and every scene probably has about a gizallion colors in it, which is very eye drawing. The animation is pretty much the biggest highlight in this anime because of how flashy and jarring it was.

Just one of the many scenes in Kyousougiga that use many colors, and yes 99% of the scenes are like this.

======Sound=========

The sound is also pretty good. Lots of techo and rock riffs to keep it from being boring. The ending theme Shissou Ginga by TEPPAN is especially great. It's a rock theme song that is a bit above average. OST's weren't exactly memorable, but they got the job done.

======Characters=======

There's not really much said about the characters in this anime, so all of them are shrouded in mystery. But once again we see Through the Looking-Glass's influence.

The storyline wasn't the only thing that was inspired by it but also the characters themselves, with all relating to characters in Through the Looking glass. However, Kyousougiga neglects to give them any depth whatsoever which is a real shame.

So if you're looking for something such as a well defined character then look elsewhere otherwise you'll be greeted with some loosely gathered information on them.

We have a monk (Myoue) who's has a caring, laid back and serious at times personality,the brothers of Koto (Un and A) who are just as wild as her, some demon chick (Yase) she has a very noble and spirited personality who is kind, some priest with a robot guy( Chief Priest) is more the knowledgeable and mature one, some random goth woman (Lady Koto), some unknown character (Shouko) and Koto herself.

From Left to Right: Chief Priest, A, Myoue, Koto, Un, Yase.

Now Koto's personality is all over the place. She's wild, crazy, funny, and ditzy all wrapped in one. She is full of life and it shows through out the show. They refer to her as being tomboyish, and that's probably the most info you'll get on her.

The characters are actually quite well portrayed. They all have their individual styles, and also act just as crazy as the main character. I liked that each character felt very different from each other given the short script and storyline. Once again with the limited info we get, it still hurts them in that most viewers would want more. But even with that the viewer can still get a feel for each character and most will be likeable.

=====Overall=========

All Right how do you like your enjoyment? Is it fun, crazy, weird, and served with a side of bizarre because that's what Kyousougiga offers to its viewers. There isn't a moment where this anime isn't enjoyable with all its exaggerated, and cooky style.

We get some insane fighting scenes that makes the viewer feel surprised. Kyousougiga also is especially pretty funny as well, such as at times the Anime characters themselves don't even know what is going on LOL.

If you got some time just go on and watch it. It's only 1 episode and it won't hurt you. Most likely you'll probably come away with the case of being dumbfounded (don't worry you won't be alone) because once again you'll have no idea what's going on.

*I suggest reading Through the Looking glass, and rewatching it closely* then think about how an anime themed "Through the Looking Glass/ Japanese Alice in Wonderland" would be like. So If you like anime that are far from being ordinary with an explosive and unusual style then this may be your cup of tea.

I GOT THISI GOT THIS.

5.5/10 story
6.5/10 sound
5.5/10 characters
Tyman2007's avatar By Tyman2007 on Dec 9, 2011

Story; 0.5/10

My first impressions of the show was simple. It was as if there was this massive orgy that involves all the nasty things and a ludicrous amount of gene splicing between Heartcatch Precure, Tatami Galaxy, FLCL, Summer Wars, and bakemonogatari. Well.... Maybe not simple. In fact, there's no simplicity in that at all! But the show seems to appeal in the correct way... At least the trailer did.

I am going to say this right now, however. Whoever thought of the plot for Kyousougiga was on acid. There is absolutely no doubt about it. Honestly, Watching the trailer told me more about the show than actually watching the show. I feel like I'd have to be the mastermind behind the show in order to actually understand it.

Animation; 6/10

What the hell? What is this show? It's a gigantic cluster of almost every color known to man. For some reason the main character (I think) is fighting with.. a clear biscuit hammer? The colors are put everywhere. They are not shy 1 bit about any use of coloration. They might as well have just said "Hey, I'm feeling rainbow tonight. I'll just throw in a bunch of rainbow balls in the middle of the street. No one will notice."

The strong point about this show, which I believe MADE the show, was the fights. The fights were amazing, I didn't what what was going on! First you go left, then you take a right, then you SWING YOUR HAMMER, then back and forth until you're at the 4th dimension. Honestly, even during the fights, the acid this guy was on was so strong now I feel like I'M on acid.

Sound; 6/10

BOOM, CRUSH. Honestly, the sounds made the show feel alive much more alive. Alive to the point to where they are super-animating a living body. They were put at the right moment to compliment the animation.... Do you know what I think? This style of animation shouldn't be complimented if there's no quality story to back it up... But I liked the music.

Characters; 1/10

Let me tell you about the character development. I don't know who any of the characters are at this point. There was no lasting impression and nothing that explained anything on ANYTHING. What were they thinking?! Were they trying to make people relate the characters on their own? That's fine to a certain extent, but this is like blue whale in a puddle of water.

Overall; 4/10

Just.... I don't know what else to say...

BAM! POW! The fights were neat, and I felt like I was on acid the whole time. It prmoised something new and exciting, and it just came out with... What, an extended trailer? I question if this is the actual show. SLOW IT DOWN! It's like frame skipping 50000 frames a second.

All I can say is, if you want to feel like you're on acid for the next 25 minutes, go ahead and watch this show.

0.5/10 story
Naga's avatar By Naga on Jun 4, 2013

I’ve seen quite a number of mad anime, but not that many who are mad as this one. Kyousogiga, as many of his peers (such as FLCL, Dead Leaves), managed to achieve an absolute brilliance in entertainment.

It has everything this kind of anime should have: fast pacing, bizarre looking world and very erratic storytelling. The story itself is quite rich for the amount of time that the show had, minding that most of it was scattered pretty much everywhere, and there wasn’t a clear patter that could combine it into something we could consider a ‘bigger picture’. Rather than doing that, Kyousogiga decided to info dumb in every single corner, no matter how useless or incoherent the information was. I’m not even sure what should I think of the world building. In on hand, the world is very interesting, unique and pretty, and I’d just love too see more of it, but on the other hand, it’s still incoherent because of a lack of a true begging or finale to this story. The world just leaves us puzzled and leaves us to question its abstract origin, but sadly the context doesn’t provide us with anything remotely plausible from what we could infer from, so even if we tired to come up with something logical, we’d still bump into a wall from all the misplacement of information.

The characters are on the same level of madness the story is on. They are all shallow and without enough context or personality traits, but at the same time they all managed to look as lively as possible, which in the end complemented a lot to the whole feeling of this show. The show just feels incoherent and random, and at the same time it feels like there’s just a one big mystery shrouding everything. Even so, without any clear ending it’s only logical to assume that they don’t even plan to explore this world any further. With that said, I’ve seen the 2012 version and I can vouch that the world building and the purpose of this whole fiasco were not even touched… that much, at least. There was still a word about some rabbits, but the show doesn’t make much of an impact for us to want to explore it more, and doesn’t look like it’s trying to tell us something important through this whole madness. To me it just looks like it’s made for us to have fun, and I appreciate it in a way, but at the same time I wouldn’t mind if it tried to present itself as an analogy for something like Alice in Wonderland did.

The last thing I want to say is that the animation looked and felt wonderful. The designs were funky and lively, and the flow of the animation was very pretty to look at. The music was pretty solid as well, so there’s just nothing wrong with technical department.

If you’re looking for something abstract and fun… there’s a lot of other anime who do it better… but this is still one of those shorts that are by no means a waste of your time, even if it’s just because of the immense amount of fun it provides.

Best girl: Koto