Kyo Kara Maoh!

haize78's avatar By on Apr 3, 2015

Kyou Kara Maou is a good watch. I enjoyed it and I was smiling at the end. It's funny, light-hearted and cheerful. It's a bit long, counting 78 episodes of which a great deal are filler, but in the end you can forgive that because the filler episodes aren't that bad - I was never bored. I mean, it's the kind of anime you watch just for the fun of it, if you want something more serious, thought-provoking or intense this isn't your cup of tea.

The story isn't particularly original, you've got the good guys against the bad guys with some twists and turns before the inevitable triumph of the good guys. Yuri, our perfectly normal high-school student protagonist, while being bullied by some kids in a public toilet finds himself somehow flushed down the toilet and then "flushed out" in a different world where he apparently is the Maou, that is the king. He then travels back and forth from Shin Makoku to the Earth using water as a medium, getting to know this new land, the people who inhabit it, his comrades and his own powers - Shin Makoku is populated by Mazoku, all of whom have some kind of magical power as opposed to humans who have none. After a significant number of episodes, a main plot starts to emerge. We learn that Shin Makoku's first king, Shinou, defeated the Evil Guy (can't remember his name, sorry) and confined his powers in four boxes that were then dispersed. After 4000 years, when Yuri arrives in Shin Makoku, the boxes' seals start weakening and while Yuri sets out to gather them, the Bad Guy's powers start leaking out causing havoc.

The characters are all very likeable, starting from Yuri. It's true that there is an overabundance of male characters, but I wasn't bothered by it because the female characters are really cool ladies: Yuri's mother is awesome and hilarious, and the other two main females, Cheri and Anissina, are great as well - so no complaints. Yuri is surrounded by 4 extremely handsome gentleman: Conrad, Gunter, Gwendal and Wolfram. Conrad protects and watches over him, Gunter and Gwendal are advisors and Wolfram purely by accident becomes Yuri's fianceè. They're all good characters. There isn't a lot of psychological depth or development to them, but during the 78 episodes you come to know them, like them and care about them. Even Wolfram, who initially is really obnoxious and irritating.

Animation is slightly less than average and the soundtrack didn't disturb me, so it was ok. Voice-acting was ok too.

So in conclusion, if you're looking for something that's light and fun and full of good sentiments, give it a go.

mdchan's avatar By on Jan 9, 2014

I enjoyed this anime, but couldn't rate it any higher than what I gave it (especially with how frustrating some of its negative aspects presented themselves in later episodes).  Also, I actually gave a rating on sound, which was based off of the soundtrack (I saw the sub version, and the voice acting was fine).  There was one episode which had an annoying high-pitched whistling in it to simulate a Western atmosphere, but the whistling was so grating that I had to cover my ears; good thing for the subtitles!

Good anime, but very predictable, especially for anyone who has seen fantasy animes or "modern day kid goes to another world" animes.  Let's get started.

"Been there, done that."

There were no surprises or chilling parts of the story/plot.  Rather, it was all extremely predictable, especially if you just pay attention to the story.  The most common thing I wound up wondering was "is s/he going to die".

There wasn't any major plot until around halfway through the series, and it was more of a comedy with a few dire situations thrown in for the fun of it.

All in all, this isn't the anime's strong point.  There are even some events which occurred that could have been done a lot better to bring out the plot or have the story make a little more sense, but it felt like much of the story had just been thrown together at random.

In fact, there were many times when I had to double-check to make sure I hadn't skipped an episode by mistake, because there was something else happening that didn't seem to belong in the current story arc.

Some of it was also choppy, and it slowed down in places which shouldn't have slowed down while it sped up in areas which should have had better explanations.

It's really hard to give an accurate rating, or even a good description, of the plot because of the rather hodge-podge way it was put together.  Again, the plot is hardly the anime's calling card.

New viewers to the genre might get some surprises, but everyone else will most likely be able to predict the outcomes...well, if they aren't too confused by the scattered way the story is presented.

This is what the anime has going for it, and what draws people in.  Unfortunately, I can't really describe the characters in full without including major spoilers (or dropping even bigger hints about the overall plot).

The protagonist is a baseball enthusiast named Yuri Shibuya.  After he saves a (former) classmate from three bullies, they attempt to shove his head in a toilet...but he's transported to another world, instead.  His character is very determined, innocent, and pure hearted (but not in an overly obnoxious way).

Another big star is Conrart Weller, who is one of the first to come pick Yuri up after the teenager was dropped into the other world.  He's fiercely loyal, and is probably the best swordsman in the entire land.  He often acts as a voice of reason when Yuri's emotions get the better of him, and acts as a father, mentor, and brother to Yuri.

Gunter von Christ is another character seen early, and is mostly the comic relief of the story.  He doesn't get many serious scenes, and is the most overly dramatic out of all of the characters.  His strengths lie in the library and records, as well as history (though this isn't often highlighted, as again, he's mostly used as comic relief).

Wolfram von Bielefelt is a hot-headed "little prince" with a big attitude.  I'm actually finding it difficult to write this part objectively, as I dislike his character the most.  He's generally a brat who is average at swordsmanship and the fire element, and also takes on a role of comedy most often.  He also gets accidentally engaged to Yuri, but seems to rather like that and reminds Yuri of it at every opportunity he gets.

Gwendal von Voltaire is one of the oldest, and could be described as a tsundere character.  He seems rather cold at first, but does have his soft points, and eventually warms up to Yuri (though he wouldn't admit it).  He is decently skilled with a sword, and can also use the element of earth (though we actually rarely get to see that).

There are many more characters, some mostly being comic relief (such as Anissina), and others important to the story.  I think some situations could have developed the characters a little better than we were shown, but the main characters I listed (with the exception of Gunter, who pretty much remains the same throughout the series) had the most development.

There are also some characters who were underdeveloped, and even a couple whose situations we never see again (there's a character named "Rick", who comes to mind with that).  It's that reason that I can't give a full score in the Characters department, though that's what the anime really has.

It's entertaining, and I'd recommend it to fans of the genre.

Unfortunately, the series couldn't seem to decide what genre it wanted to be.  For the first 15-20 episodes, it was mostly comedy.  Even some of the more "dire" situations reverted to comedy as a default, or interrupted the building tension with comedy relief scenes (often featuring Gunter and Anissina).

That interruption of drama never ceased through the entire series, unfortunately.  It was extremely annoying towards the end of the series, when a dramatic moment was happening or about to happen, and then there would be a scene change to what some of the other characters were doing.

That's not something anyone wants to see in the middle of an extremely important scene, or what is about to become a very dramatic situation.  Those light hearted parts were unwanted, and even other fantasy-comedies I've seen didn't dare change scenes like that or try to throw in comedy where it didn't belong.

Another shortcoming was mentioned in the character section, and that was the fact that a few scenes felt rushed; probably because they were interrupted by comic relief instead of properly concluded or explained.

Other parts were too slow in getting to the main point (and also interrupted occasionally by random scenes), while other parts didn't explain things well enough or go into it enough to make it feel like a situation was completely resolved; many of them felt open-ended and lacking.

Some fight scenes are also over too quickly or just not very interesting to watch (which is why I docked some points off of the animation), and others felt like a let down or extremely anticlimactic.

However, overall, it was a good, fun anime.

Skabenga's avatar By on May 4, 2012

Kyo Kara Maoh!

An interesting anime which when I started watching I couldn`t stop.

Maybe it`s just me but this anime has a solid story behind it, almost never is there a dull moment (you will never ask your self what the hell). There is a simplicity to the story, you will never get confused by what is going on but there are enough twists and turns to keep you interested.

The story is about a boy Sibuya Yuuri 15 years old, your typical japanease boy black hair, black eyes. One day he gets bullied by some guys that actually dumped his head in a toilet suprisingly he gets sucked to a different world where humans and Mazouku live.Humans are (HUMANS) while Mazouku are (Magical beings, devils) but they look like human. Humans and Mazouku can not coexist they whant war but ofcorse here comes Yuuri dropped in the middle of everything. It turns out that Yuuri is the Mao or the Mazouku-s king. Yuuri is against war between the humans and the mazouku which in some parts of the anime seems inevitable, but some how Yuuri manages to hold his kingdom together. Watch Yurri and his fello Mazouku try and stop the corrupt human govermnet that whant war and the peacfull unification of the human and mazouku people.

The certain changes of the main character which I must say are very similar to other hero fantasy type anime, a guy that thinks he is normal just to find out that he has this power in him but he dosen`t think much of this power till the moment his friends are in danger and he gets this rush of energy and finishes of the enemy, and then he tries to control this power in order to protect the people he loves.

I must say sometimes that kind of character gets old especially if there isn`t a good enough story but Kyo Kara Maoh! is an interesting story where you can follow the transformation of the main character but also the transformation of the way people think and accept and judge others.

Kyo Kara Maoh! is an excellent anime which I enjoyed and I hope you do too!

Chelsae's avatar By on Dec 27, 2010

I've written this out two times already because of internet explorer not responding... Oh well. I'll try it one more time.

Story - 6/10

So basically, this anime is about a boy called Yuuri Shibuya, and upon trying to rescue his friend from being bullied, he gets his head shoved into a toilet, and "flushed down it". After the flushing, he arrives in another world, in a country called Shin Makoku, there, the people proclaim him as the Maou, the "Demon King" of the Mazoku, apparently because the king is supposed to have black hair and black eyes which inevitably, the main character does.

I started watching this anime because I thought it would be funny... and it is... but it could have been better. Half of the episodes are composed of fillers that have no relevence whatsoever towards the overall storyline, and only in the last ten, twenty episodes did things finally start being relevent. The other half is full of battle-comedy adventure episodes that although they do have a relevence towards the storyline, the battles end up being squished into the last three minutes. YES. I TIMED IT.

Now, I'm not picky, but seriously! They could have stretched it out a bit, I'm not asking for long, stretched out battles like from Bleach or Naruto, I'm just asking for something! And even the battles ended up being repetitive. It usually consisted of someone pissing Yuuri off, his inner "Maou" mode turned on, which frankly reminded me of Aang from Avatar: The Last Airbender, and him kicking everyone's arses, (YES. I'M BRITISH). What is with that?

It continued like this for about fifty episodes, then the real storyline started to kick in. Talk about repetitive! It was worse than fighting through the first fifty D.Gray-Man episodes! But luckily the second half of that was AWESOME, so it made up for it, but to be quite honest, I did prefer the fillers to the real storyline of Kyo Kara Maoh!

The thing I love about Kyo Kara Maoh! is that it takes ordinary things and makes them really, really weird. For example, apparently in Shin Makoku, cats don't go meow, or nyaan for that matter, apparently they go "Meh meh". ... WHAT?! I laughed so hard because it was so random, but according to Yuuri, sheep go "Meh meh". I don't know if anyone's checked, but I'm pretty sure sheep go "baa".

To sum it up, the storyline, although it isn't the most original, it was engaging, if a bit cheesy, and I didn't really get bored.

Animation - 7/10

Ahh. I'm no good at reviewing animation. I only know how to write reviews on real films like Avatar for my English class. You have no idea how many times that I had to watch that film. I hate it now.

Anyway… to be honest this anime came out quite a while back, when video animation isn’t the crisp cutting-edge style it is now, so it isn’t that good. But that’s just me. I get annoyed with anime that don’t have good graphics. But I think it would have been good in the year that it was released, however I’m not really sure because I just started watching anime this year…

Lip Syncing! Well the good news is that I didn’t spot anything wrong here. Although the graphics were out of date, I think the animation, the characters facial expressions, how they moved and the lip syncing is pretty much the best thing about the animation.

All in all, the characters, the male ones were very bishounen, and sooo pretty to look at, so I can’t exactly rate it down, even if the colours were a bit unrealistic. Because apparently people have pink hair in anime. The girls… well I can’t really say much about them. I think they have screen time for about 3 seconds in each episode then abandoned as Yuuri and his gang of boys run off to save a maid or a rock or something.

Sound – 8/10

This was good. Yeah, that sounds a bit simple, but it sums up most of my feelings towards it. I loved the opening song, and I’m glad they kept it for both of the seasons, even if it did end up getting a bit repetitive. The ending songs were also really catchy, especially the last one they used. I ended up singing along to it all the way through, which I don’t usually do in my haste to watch the next episode. I think they did a perfect job picking out these songs, and it went really well with the anime.

Background music. I have no idea what to say. I can’t remember it at all. I only finished this anime yesterday! So.. obviously it wasn’t memorable at all. The only piece of music I can remember is a peppy little piece they used in a funny part of the anime, however, it sounds like something from Ranma ½ so I may just be getting it from there… oh well. It must have been good because I wouldn’t have been able to survive 78 episodes without good background music!

Another thing are the voices. I actually adored the voices in the sub, I think it matched their character perfectly, from Yuuri’s confusion and determination, to Wolfram’s anger and jealousy, every character was perfect. Even when Gunter’s soul was placed in a doll! (Long story…) It made me laugh so much. *shoo, shoo, go away. Leave. Shoo. Shoo.* It’s absurd saying that to your own body!

However, I can’t say the same about the English dub. I actually considered watching this in English at first. I’m an idiot. I know. I got part of the way through the first episode, recognised the voice, looked it up, and what do you know? Yuuri is Sasuke from Naruto! It is a small world, especially in the world of anime! At the time I started watching it, I was sick of hearing this dude’s voice in all anime, Sasuke in Naruto, Suzaku in Code Geass, Keigo in Bleach, and he’s even in Ben 10! That is so lame…

Also, another familiar voice I recognised is one of the main characters, Conrad. Apparently in the English, he’s voiced by Gin from Bleach! That’s just creepy…

Characters - 8/10

I love the characters in Kyo Kara Maoh! They’re amazing! You get so emotionally connected with them; I nearly cried at the end! But just because I thought that was the end, but don’t worry! There’s another season! Yayy!

You just want them to succeed so much, and you want Wolfram to bizarrely, succeed in seducing Yuuri, (word of warning, don’t watch this series if you don’t like shounen-ai. But don’t worry, its only hints, there’s no actual love or anything. It only comes from when Yuuri accidently proposes to Wolfram by slapping him on the cheek. Apparently everyone in Shin Makoku goes around slapping others). And, although at first glance, Yuuri seems like a bumbling idiot with no power whatsoever, he grows on you, and now I’m actually considering getting a poster of Wolfram and Yuuri, just to stick on my wall and smile goofily at it all day. Yes, you don’t have to tell me that I’m weird.

The only thing I can down grade them for, is the typicalness and also the bishounen-ness, but I don't know if I can count that under characters...

Yuuri, is the typical character, he doesn't like fighting, he wants peace, he has a hidden power that comes out in times of need. He's accompanied by a bunch of bishounen guys, all of whom adore the main character and attend to his every need; Wolfram, the character that beats the main character up, Conrad, the character that has a special bond to the main character due to circumstances in the past, Gunter, the person who jumps on the bandwagon, and I'm not really sure where to put Gwendal.

Typical much? It's like all three typical traits in romances have been squished into one anime!

Overall - 7.5

Okay... so this anime isn't the best, and it's certainly not in my favourites, but I really like it, despite being for the most part, a typical run-of-the-mill anime. It captured my heart in many ways, and I will definitely be watching it again in the future.

Hajime's avatar By on Sep 24, 2010

God save the King indeed, this series shows poor Yuri being flushed into another dimension and discovering he is the new demon king. Yes don’t worry, youl understand after one episode. Its simple, maybe a little male dominated, but actually a good watch, just put your masculinity aside while viewing and you wont feel stupid, a great  series