Kuroko's Basketball

noah1212's avatar By on Jun 11, 2012

Kuroko's Basketball focuses on a school that only formed one year prior to when the story takes place. While the team didn't do well, they regarded their first year a personal victory as they weren't expected to do much at all.

The story follows this team as they recruit an American basketball prodigy with loads of potential, and Kurok the "sixth man" of the "miracle of generations", a squad considered to be the most talented basketball team assembled ever. Kuroko's real talent is less about making himself a good player, and more about using his talents to increase the play of the players around him, this makes him a perfect fit on an ambitious squad that wants to work well as a team.

Story - 9 - The idea of Kuroko playing against the five super stars he was once on a team with and trying to beat them using tenacity and teamwork rather than superstardom and raw talent is quite interesting. It makes the series a real underdog story, and a treat to watch. The story moves at an extremely fast pace, which is really necasarry for a sports themed anime. The show also has some very funny and well timed comedic moments, which not only are entertaining, but draw you closer to the characters within the anime. The one knock on the story line is it follows the same formula many sports animes do.

Sound - 10 - Music selection and sound effects are perfect for the anime, they are unique almost every episode, so the music doesnt lose its ability to hype up the viewer or add to the anime. The sneakers squeaking on the court, pitter patter of running, and ringing sensation after a dunk are all present and executed as one would expect.

Animation - 10 - The Animation is very interesting to look at, and it adds a lot to the anime as a whole, its very bright and elaborate. The lines and designs of the characters help illustrate their personality and at times the anime feels like its popping out of the screen. This may be the most visualy please anime i have ever seen. Every little detail is accounted for, and used correctly. I.e. a player with tremendous speed gets low to the floor and as he accelerates quickly his jersey puffs out a bit off his back. ankles turning and twisting as they would for a real life basketball player, nets swishing, its all accounted for and executed flawlessly.

Characters - 8 - The characters are all well done, especially considering how many well thought out character designs there are. Though, as with most sports animes the character creativity is limited because of how focused the subject at hand is. Somehow, the series really does make the characters its own though, and they are all very interesting and have several dimensions to them beyond just what they can do on the basketball court.

The struggles the players are forced to deal with as a team and individually really adds a ton of depth to the series and its very fun to watch all of them progress, even through the short 18 episode series we are currently left with. The pace of this anime is so fast and it really keeps you engrossed and interested each and every episode.

BigDumbOhFace's avatar By on Oct 5, 2014

I came across this by recommendation from a friend.  We were talking about anime and he talked about this really cool basketball anime.  He didn't really go into detail and just told me to watch it.

There was once an epic team of junior high kids that never lost called The Generation of Miracles.  People only recognize the 5 starts but there was one mystery member the team themselves respected.  That one mystery member is Tetsuya Kuroko, who everyone thinks is invisible even though he's been standing in front of them the entire time.  Along the way he meets Kagami Taiga who's this big tough guy.  In order to win, they must go through each member of the GoM.  The plot makes you fully invest in your emotions.  It's full of laughs and heart-pounding drama.  The show totally mixes that well.

It's absolutely great.  The art style is really amazing.  One nice touch that I didn't nottice until late was that each member of the GoM have matching hair color and eye color according to their names.  The way they play is amazing.  Their movements were memorizing and just makes you wish you could do it as well.  If I were to be a bit picky it's this weird little thing that they can run full speed for like a minute and only be half way down the court.  It should take less 10 seconds to go end to end.  Other than that nothing bad.

Love the openings.  It's full of energy that gets you pumped!  It's what you expect and want to hear in a actiony sports anime.  Every character's voice matches perfectly to their personality.  Kuroko's voice is slow and monotone that it hypnotizes you like the way he plays.  Kagami's voice is loud, strong, and boistrous like him dunking the crap out of people.  Some sound bits I love is the ball going through the hoop.  As a basketball player as well, nothing sounds better than the ball going through nothing but net.  The dunking does sound a bit exagerrated but that's the show in general

One sign of a good sports anime is that although there's a main character, the entire team gets practically equal time to shine.  While watching, it just wasn't about Kuroko.  Everyone on his team from the bench players to the starters had a good level of importance.  All their personalities are very likeable.  As for the GoM, although they're the main antagonists (villians is a bit too much to call them) they still have quirks you'd just love.  Kise is a feminine heart-throb with some childish wonder.  Midorima is a superstitious bookworm.  Aomine is the awesome badass.

Overall

If you're looking for some epic basketball action, here you go.  It's difficult to talk about Kuroko no Basuke and not talk about something like Slam Dunk.  Slam Dunk preferred great story telling while KnB preferred awesome action.  It's pretty even.  However, Kuroko no Basuke is less realistic because some of the things that're done are just physically impossible.  It's an anime, though!  Of course there should be some awesome weird powers and stuff.  I definitely recommend this show to anyone in general.

moonmystery's avatar By on Aug 18, 2015

I swear, this anime has the most annoying soundtrack ever. The metallic screeches do not pump me up for a scene. No. It just hurts my ears and distracts me from the story.

I literally had to watch this on mute.

story

It's pretty good. Although unrealistic, it is quite intense. People new to the sports genre would probably like this a lot.

animation

Somehow everyone seem to have exceptionally long faces, but that's just the artstyle, I guess. The basketball scenes are exaggerated, but that's not a bad thing.

In general, I liked it.

sound

see above. First line guys.

characters

The miracle generation is filled with pretty interesting people, and I also really enjoy watching kuroko. He's quiet most of the time, so it's fun trying to figure out what he's thinking.

8.5/10 characters
Inszy's avatar By on Jun 20, 2015

Do you love basketball? You want to watch great anime about your favorite sport?! Well... then go for Slam Dunk (or eventually Dear Boys).

Kuroko's Basketball isn't about basketball. They have the same ball, they play on basketball court and that's it. There's no tactics, no one know anything about this sport, basketball rules exist only in part etc.
Generally it's like Dragon Ball in school gym. Everyone have some super powers and they activate them one by one.
Unfortunately there's no real plot - it's all about action on court. Main characters don't have life outside of the game, we don't know their motivations (only "I want to be the best!"), fears or problems. They just play match after match with one scheme: at the beginning Seirin are losing, but at the end they wins, because they found the way to deactivate opponents powers or/and they activate own powers on new level. And that's it. Throughout the season.

Sounds stupid and boring? Well, partly it is. But if you don't watch too many episodes at once, it can be really fun. We have very nice animations, pretty good music and sound effects. All battles have a good dramaturgy and powers aren't exaggerated.
There's no real emotions, because you always know how it's gonna end, but trust me: you can be excited :)

khalee3i's avatar By on May 3, 2015

So... This will be a review for all the Kuroko no Basuke seasons, but there won't be spoilers as I won't talk much about the plot, so go ahead and read this: (note: this is my subjective opinion and feeling, of course this is not for everybody the same!)

I am a very picky Anime watcher, especially when it's about sports. Usually I don't like Sport themed Animes, mostly I can't even say something good... And I watched a lot of sports Animes, for example the oldschool Kickers, but also the quite popular Free! But none of these really convinced me...

But then I discovered Kuroko no Basuke and absolutely fell in love with the Anime over and over again!

The characters are so unique and breath taking. Every character has his very own talents and personality, you really do enjoy watching the anime and gettnig to know every one of the characters... Even if it's not the main protagonists the personalities are done with such details and uniqueness that the whole anime is a real concept. I adore everyone of them, even if it's the mean or the annoying ones... You know when an anime is good when you somehow enjoy every character! What I especially like about the caracters: You do have the typical Anime personalities who are in every Anime, for example the cool Megane-Guy, the Bad-Guy, etc. But here there are tons of different personalities, and even the Anime_typical-characters are very unique done, and some even develop and change a little bit, thats veeerry nice!

Moving on to the animation: Sooo lovely done! I know the old animes have character and I like to watch them, but in this anime you soon recognize how awesome the new kind of anime animation is! Something that always bothers me while watching a sports anime is that it's hard to show the dynamics and movement without looking stupid or bad done. But this totally gets it right! There are great scenes with 3D effects, and especially the typical ''sweat'' scenes really do bring energy to the whole thing. Allthough I have to criticise the sweat, because sometimes it seems really unrealistic and ''overdone'' as they're sweating 1 liter already after 10 secocnds gameplay, but this isn't a big deal, it's a nice effect after all!

Okay, now the soundtrack: Oooooh I fell in love with this! It's just so exciting that when you listen to it while NOT watching the anime you really want to play basketball yourself too! There are also nice calm pieces, and throughout the anime the music was always decent but at the same time carrying! Very well done!

Now: The atmosphere!!!! Is one of the best I've ever experienced! (Other great atmosphere animes are for example SAO, SnK, or Cosette no Shouzou) Everything mixed together, the humor, the exciting games, the loveable characters, the music, it all creates a very unique experience! I am a very sport disliking person, and after I started watching KnB I started wanting to play basketball and actually started it a bit... In school I went from a C in Basketball to an A without practice, because I was so into this because of the anime (my teacher even said he thinks I probably have a talent for this sport, but I think it was just because I was so excited and oriented myself to the anime)  It was so unreal but yet amazing!
I know I shouldn't be talking about myself in a review, but this is just an example how the anime reaches the watcher, it really does!

I know my story sounds ridiculous, and maybe it is, but it's true. nearly no anime got me so hard even in real life, and that as a SPORT anime, which I normally don't like :D

Just a short note to the storyline: It's quite the same storyline as in every other sport anime too, but here also the characters personal development and their goals, then again as a team are very well done too. After all the storyline technically isn't thaaat exciting, but it's so well done, and everything is so perfect, that the storyline totally gets you, and just have to grin, or sometimes even tear up a little!

One and only criticism: We know this from many Animes/mangas: When characters and story are already awesome in the beginning, the more the anime moves on, the more unrealistic they get. You know at the beginning it was pretty much ''just'' basketball, but on a very high level, but at season 2 you begin to notice that it's a bit much, and of course it doesn't stop ^^ when in the beginning you just have normal basketball names, later they start naming their trump cards with fancy names, which makes it appear more like in a fantasy RPG anime where you use magic and have fancy attack names, instead of realistic basketball... This really bothers me... The poducers/mangaka try to make their abilities look ''realistic'' by explaining it with ''science'', but that doesn't work for everything, because sometimes it's quite stretched!
This isn't bad for everyone! I think many people out there enjoy this kind of unrealistiv super duper mega attack thingies, but for me it's a nogo... I liked the realistic awesomeness and I think this lowered the whole series...

But long story short: Even with this criticism the anime and its characters absolutely got and still get me!  I absolutely recommend this Anime to EVERYONE even no sports-anime watchers (as me hehehe) you may be surprised and catched into a very lovely world you don't even want to escape of! :)

If you reached this point, and read all that, I salute you! Now have a cookie! xD