KonoSuba – God’s blessing on this wonderful world!! 2

Alt title: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2

Add review
ratchet573's avatar
Mar 15, 2017

KonoSuba season one started a bit rocky for me but once I got into it, I saw just how brilliant it was. It's a farcical, comedic take on traditional fantasy/video game/person in a strange world tropse with a sense of humor beyond that of a typical anime. Boob and butt jokes there may be, sexual overtones there always are, but it's all grounded by the main character, Kazuma. He's the straight man for this insane world, a straight man who is also not afraid to be sexually devious, conniving, and threaten women with violence because he's a total alpha. Unlike a traditional anime where the main character is a blank slate or a loser with no personality, Kazuma is full of personality, as much as the women he surrounds himself with.

Anyway, this second season is fantastic and should be watched by all fans of the first season. There's a lot of focus on Darkness, which depending on how you feel about her (obsessed with BDSM and being dominated both verbally and physically) will decide your love for this set of episodes. The joke may be stretched thin for some, but I feel like the situation allows for the gag to be played out with enough variety that it never becomes stale. That's my personal assessment, I know people who think Darkness is being overused for comedy this season and perhaps has put the other characters on the backburner, especially Megumin.

The story, the animation, the sound; none of those really matter that much. The animation is cheap but not underwhelming, the music is meh, and the story (of which there are two arcs presented) isn't anything really compelling if you take it from a serious perspective. But this is a show about the characters and comedy and you will laugh your ass off. KonoSuba subverts your expectations for the character tropes presented and presents everyone as an idiot, an alcoholic, or a failure.

My favorite part of the whole experience is Kazuma's interjections. While characters go on about things that are ridiculous, silly, or stupid Kazuma will speak over them deadpan asking questions or responding to the dialogue while the other character continues to talk like there is nothing strange being said. It's absolutely hilarious and a technique that I believe to be unique, at least in anime, to Konosuba. Usually the characters would speak one at a time and the straight man speaks after the comedic sentence or diatribe is completed. Here, that layering of the characters speaking adds a whole dimension of hilarious results.

I don't have a lot to say about KonoSuba because it's not really a show that deserves a lot of critical response. It's a hilarious anime that's obvious production limitations don't hinder it at all because the script and characters are so solid you barely notice. Kazuma is one of the best, if not the best, protagonist of a show like this ever and I love Aqua. There's something about an alcoholic idiot goddess that just makes me laugh every time.

Konosuba deserves all the praise and love it receives and I implore you to check it out if you're looking for comedy done right.

SuperGeekSwordsman's avatar
Jan 19, 2017

After only two episodes I'm highly satisfied, this anime is so cool it has a different type of humour I doubt there are animes that looks like this one. The Characters are funny as hell and I can't have enough of this awesome anime, 10/10

Osiummaster's avatar
Mar 15, 2017

Disclaimer: this sequel was extremely bad, anyone who tries to defend this level of cashgrab filler will not be taken seriously. You don't have to bother commenting if you're a fanboy that actually liked this garbage.

Probably one of the worst sequels I've ever seen. Season one had some good humor and a decent story, but season 2 just consists of bad ecchi scenes, getting in and out of debt all the time to give the characters a shitty motivation to do anything, and basically not progressing anywhere since the end of season 1. Aside from a little backstory on Darkness which was mostly just ecchi scenes about how she likes to be humiliated following by some shitty high pitched screams, S2 had no progression whatsoever.

I hoped to see them leave their hometown this season and actually start going on an adventure, but at the end they didnt progress whatsoever and were back exactly where they started.

Animation:

Unlike most people I seen to still find the animation quite bearable. My only issue is how they try to cram pantsu shots literally everywhere ass much ass possible if you catch my drift.

Sound:

The intro and ending arent bad, but everything during the series is absolutely horrible. One thing that triggered me most of the entire anime was the completely.retarded circus music that started playing everytime something "funny" was happening, which was basically someone screaming "neeehh Kazumaaaa Kazumaaaa" with some retarded ass music in the background. I'm not sure if they were trying to be a shitty slapstick, but they sure went there. This was worse than the laughing track on the Big Bang Theory everytime Sheldon says Bazinga.

Barely anything new since s1 except they decided to go full stereotype on every single one. There was barely any normal interaction, especially with darkness who had to say that she wanted to be abused by *insert whatever they encounter here*, followed by Kazuma saying she's a degenerate. The solution to every fight was to just blow everything the fuck up with the Megumin special, including Kazuma who died like fucking 10 times.

Of the strangest things is how they treat it like a "game* while they took out pretty much every MMO element. They use abilities like skills, have "quests", but all they do is hang in their hometown, magically get useful abilities without ever showing them leveling or upgrading anymore, and Kazuma only respawn because some goddess lets him. The entire "game" theme was already completely lost to me until they reminded me of it with the ending.

Overall:

The entire plot is thrown out of the window to make super.fumny jokes about how much of a degenerate Darkness is HAHAHA and to make girls fall over in ecchi poses. The whole serious-comedy aspect is completely gone, it's just a really bad comedy with the most forced humor possible out there, going as far to put in actual circus music which ruins the mood everytime, just to make it clear the viewer should laugh.

The biggest joke from Konosuba season 2 is it's pathetic production value. Rarely does an Anime go.downhill this hard, but it's very clear that season 2 is just a quick cashgrab made out of fillers and poorly written fanservice.

HikenNoAsxce's avatar
Feb 25, 2017

KonoSuba 2 is the best 2nd season to an anime since Tokyo Ghoul root A, Kazuma and the group are back with even more ridiculous adventures. If you Loved the first season you will Love this one as well as it doesnt change the formula but sticks with it and expands on it every now and then

8.5/10 story
CalamityO's avatar
Mar 19, 2017

For this review I’ll be covering both seasons of KonoSuba. Now we all dream of having a fantasy adventure. One that is in an exotic place, meeting exotic people, locations etc. It’s rather odd that a shut-in NEET Kazuma Sato gets this little adventure. After dying a pathetic death and going to the after life, he gets the chance to meet Aqua. A goddess – the goddess of water and purification. However, things don’t go according to Kazuma’ liking. After all things can’t any worse when you have an energetic goddess with you, right?.

Kazuma as stated above is a dead beat shut in NEET. One who doesn’t put much effort in to anything. So when he “tragically” died. In the most comical of ways. He wasn’t too impressed upon meeting Aqua. Who mocked his death and just generally infuriates him. So what does he do?. Well he drags Aqua along with him to the magical world of Axis.

There he finds just how “useless” Aqua really is. Just how bad his “luck” really is, even though he has an absurd amount of it. He also meets two other party members. Megumin an spellcaster. But can only cast one magic spell explosion and only once, before tiring out. And then there is Darkness; a sadist crusader. Who gets turned on by the mere thought of being violated. From there, he finds out just how how hard, hard work really is. And then some.

Positives:

• The dynamics between the four characters – their interactions is done really well
  • Art and OST
  • Comedy is done with aplomb – couldn’t stop laughing … however
  • Kazuma’ ability to think outside of the box to every situation he finds himself in
  • The girls inability to actually realise that they are the main cause for all the hardships for Kazuma – which adds to the likeability to the characters
  • Kazuma comes across as someone who wants to avoid hard work, but can actually put in the effort when he wants too – he isn’t your typical MC basically
  • The RPG fantasy world
  • The episode count is short – however it fills in as much info as it can

Negatives:

• Comedy becomes pretty repetitive. Especially during the second season.
  • The world isn’t filled out as such
  • Aqua can be quite clingy & useless
  • Darkness need to be “violated” isn’t that funny after awhile
  • Fanservice is kept to a minimum during the first season but quite frequent during the second
  • It needs another season to continue or conclude