Konjiki no Gash Bell!!

Alt titles: Zatch Bell!

lovelove07's avatar By lovelove07 on May 14, 2012

I loved this show when I was a kid! It has action, drama, and comedy all rolled up into one! A Must see! Zatch is adorable!

Floris's avatar By Floris on Mar 7, 2010

THIS IS A TEMPORARY VERSION! NEEDS MORE WORKOUT!

Introduction

Konjiki no Gash Bell!! is the anime version of the succesfull manga Konjiki no Gash!! Where the story is told about the 100 demon 'childeren' who have a chance to become the new king of the demon world by fighting each other. They have been sent to the earth to find the right human partner to battle with. The main task is to burn the book of the opponent demon, so they return to the demon world and are out for the competition. The books are for the spells that the demon can make. Only 1 human, the one who fits the most with his partner, can read the spells. More spells are becoming active when the demon and/or the human grow in in spirit or power.

We watch the story mainly from Kyomaro and his demon Gash. Kyomaro usually was a smart person but never cared about his surroundings. After Gash came in the story, he was starting to change in a more social person. Because the mind of Gash has been brainwashed, he doesn't know anything about the competition of the 100 demons, nor why he is carrying a book. In the first episodes they figured it out rapidly. Later in the story they are forming alliances with other demons and 'book keepers' (humans by the demons) with the same purpose as the kind of king they want to be to defeat the ones who have bad plans for the demon world.

The idea isn't bad. The fight element of every good shonen-manga or -anime is present. The idea of books is rather new for this kind of series and the role they take. The story itself is sometimes a bit shaky, but overall a good story with very funny moments. Another positive thing is that there is another storyline. At a moment you get the story of Cherry, another book keeper. In the beginning is it unclear what her role is in the series, but later comes the real story up.

The story in the anime has a lot of fillers. Some are very amusing and nice to watch, but some are just annoying and you wished you never watched them. The annoying ones are almost the ones with a side story that don't fit at all in the whole of the series. They have a lot of 'escape route' factor that ruins the whole story. Another annnoying thing is the end of the anime. The story isn't finished and has a turn around with the original story. I know they couldn't do it another way, because the writer of the manga had broken his arm, but this end is just bad.

The last thing on the negative side is the typical Pokémon blueprint: Fight each other with the same moves while they learning new ones.

The animation of Gash Bell is well done. Very sharp details on the front. The moves of the demons and even the humans were very clear. The backgrounds however were a little bit too simple at some times. If you started noticing the background, you can notice the same backgrounds coming back at some points. But on the other side, most of the time it seemed very good. Realistic is else, but that is more the part of the writers follies. For example: When they are in London, the houses and streets are more looking like Amsterdam.

The sounds used in the series are very good. They made the moments complete with what was in the picture at the moments. The music is a little bit wannabe real instrument, thus that it has to be a orchestra, but the synthesizer sound is leaking through it. But overall: The sounds are very nice. The tracks itself are a story apart. The intro/outro themes are very catchy for what it is all about (exept the last 2 ending themes, they were even too childish for shonen, luckily i've got some hairs left:P). The soundtracks are ok for the background, but the most aren't usefull at all to listen to as real music/ But there are still some great juwels between them.

The characters are very comic-style. Not a lot of deepness, but a bit simple. Sure it can be funny, but very complicated souls? No...

Overall

Nice to watch, bit funny too and surely on a to watch list! I recommend to read the manga after the series, because the main story is completely different from tehe anime ending. This because the writer broke his hand when the anime was running close. so a well earned 7.3 for this one!

7.5/10 sound
5.5/10 characters
7.3/10 overall
UTXShiro's avatar By UTXShiro on Jan 7, 2011

This is the show that got me to watch anime.  I loved zatch when I was younger and it was on Cartoon Network.  The animation wasnt great, but served its purpose and was humorous as well!  The plot was a tried and true contest-form, but was interesting in its own way.  The characters are what made the show however.  With so many mamodo running around, there were so many varied personalities to relate to that I am willing to bet there is at least one character in this show that anyone can relate to or like.  Personally I love zatch's attitude and Kiyo's strategy.  While it may not be the best series I have seen or my favorite, there will always be a special place in my heart for zatch.

Unfortunately the main reason I fell in love with the show way back when was that I enjoyed Zatch's voice in the english dub, which stops just after episode 100, and I havent been able to bring my self to transition to the japanese with subtitles to finish off the series....

9.2/10 overall