Kokoro Connect

Mendacious's avatar By on Dec 1, 2014

An interesting premise that could have been done better

Crunchyroll is missing the last four episodes of this series and I cannot be bothered to look them up elsewhere. Subsequently this should be regarded as an incomplete review.

Kokoro Connect is yet another story about strange things happening to a group of high school kids. This one has chosen to aim for more realism in its characters world while continuing with a paranormal theme. The protagonists' secrets and vulnerabilities are exposed by a phenomenon that causes them to switch bodies and they all have to learn to deal with it.

It mostly stands up but does fall a bit short in the later episodes where the story drags. Towards the end the antagonist' heartseed's nature and reasoning remains unanswered. This felt unresolved and disappointing. Even though this is a character driven series, an important lot device such as Heartseed should not be left hanging. The characters relationships are also left unresolved.

The five teenagers are above average by most anime series standards, but that is hardly saying much. Only Inaba really stands out as a believably deep character. The voice acting for her was exceptional. The males were the usual drab bunch.

Artwork and music are of a reasonably standard.

icloudy's avatar By on Aug 16, 2015

this anime talks about 5 friends in high school and a supernatural phenomenons happen to them..

so what I LOVED about this anime is absolutely their relationships and feelings and how they act/deal with the problems

I think they really know how teens are, and this touched my heart pretty good :D

I don't know why but I can see myself in Inaba character and that a personal reason to love this anime even more..

anyway, I enjoyed watching this anime and I absolutely recommend you all to watch it!

Kekichan's avatar By on Jul 27, 2015

Kokoro Connect was not what I expected... The character development was amazing, but it was very sad. The animation is very cute but the anime as a whole has a very creepy air to it... I feel like it is a matter of preferance if you would like it or not... If you're in it for characters then it is amazing but if you're looking for romance I would look elsewhere.

maka112's avatar By on Jun 13, 2015

I thought I was going to enjoy this anime but it wan't what I thought it was going to be at all. The story just doesn't flow well and the character's personalities aren't memorable. I was actually dissapointed because I never really drop animes. The anime  looked good and the plot was fine but it could of been way better if done differently.

jv4ever's avatar By on May 23, 2015

Video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5pEN4ALg3k

Positive
*The story of KC is it’s strongest point, especially as we move further into the anime. Seeing the relationships between the characters being put to the test was interesting to follow especially because we, like a God character, usually have information than the characters.
With that knowledge, you really hope that the characters find the right path that we already see.

*Character development is on point in KC. Because of all the several events that occur during the anime, each character grows a deeper understanding of themselves and of their friends. We see relationships improving and others disintegrating as they discover secrets about each other that know one expected.

*Although the events cause a lot of trouble and heart ship, they were also the cause of a lot of humoristic scenes in KC. Don’t think that this anime is all gloomy and doomy because that’s kind of the impression I’m building here. But KC contains a good part of humor as well, usually caused by the events. There was even room for some ecchi humor, not a lot or extreme but it was their and it was funny.

*I can’t go into a lot of detail about the romance here because I would give away too much spoilers. Let’s say that I was pleased with the amount and the quality of the romance in the first season. You see the romantic possibilities from the first episode and I was glad to see them develop along the way. The twist in the romance in the second season really surprised me but too me it wasn’t necessary.

Negative
*Because I liked the couple that was formed in the first season. Now you can’t really speak of two seasons, the second season is just a continuation of the first season with another name, being KC: Michi Random.
But as I said the romantic plot twist wasn’t necessary in my eyes. Not that I didn’t like the new couple but I just liked the first one more. It’s also the main reason why I didn’t really like the second season. The storyline felt quite forced and unnatural. The ending of the first season would’ve been a more natural ending point to the anime.

*Now the next I’m going to say might seem contradictory with some of my positive points. In my eyes the drama could have been better at some points. When I’m looking for drama I’m looking for something that grabs me and make me feel compassionate with the characters.
In the first “arc”, if you will, of Kokoro Connect I felt that compassion but in the rest of the anime, hm not so much. I mean the story still grabbed me but I just didn’t feel that strong bound with the characters as I did in other drama anime’s.

*The last negative point is that I still had a lot of questions at the end of the anime, mainly concerning the event’s that happen. We don’t get a clarifying explanation of why the events are happening. What was the whole point of them occurring? We don’t know.

Conclusion
So as a conclusion, although I do have some complaints about the anime, especially about the second season. I still enjoyed KC. It’s an anime with a solid story and that’s what’s most important. So I’m going to rate KC at 4 stars. It’s definitely an anime that is worth watching