Kokoro Connect

Mendacious's avatar By Mendacious on Dec 1, 2014

An interesting premise that could have been done better

Crunchyroll is missing the last four episodes of this series and I cannot be bothered to look them up elsewhere. Subsequently this should be regarded as an incomplete review.

Kokoro Connect is yet another story about strange things happening to a group of high school kids. This one has chosen to aim for more realism in its characters world while continuing with a paranormal theme. The protagonists' secrets and vulnerabilities are exposed by a phenomenon that causes them to switch bodies and they all have to learn to deal with it.

It mostly stands up but does fall a bit short in the later episodes where the story drags. Towards the end the antagonist' heartseed's nature and reasoning remains unanswered. This felt unresolved and disappointing. Even though this is a character driven series, an important lot device such as Heartseed should not be left hanging. The characters relationships are also left unresolved.

The five teenagers are above average by most anime series standards, but that is hardly saying much. Only Inaba really stands out as a believably deep character. The voice acting for her was exceptional. The males were the usual drab bunch.

Artwork and music are of a reasonably standard.

sneezetease's avatar By sneezetease on Sep 18, 2014

nope.  didn't like this one at all.  the drama was the cheesiest ive seen in an anime i think.  every single demon they were struggling with was like the most cliche or stupid thing. or maybe it was just in the presentation? i don't know, but the whole thing had me scoffing and rolling my eyes and shaking my head.  I feel like a teenager who has never watched an anime before would think this is the best. but for me, i thought it was just terribly boring with stupid, hoaky, and abrupt drama with a very unresolved ending. the only reason i was holding on was to find out what heartseed was all about.  this must be one where the anime producers even got bored and stopped making it even though the manga goes on to tell the good parts of the story, so yeah, maybe it gets a lot better, i don't know, i don't care.  the characters were all incredibly annoying from start to finish and the story was repetitive and boring and the drama was just oh my god.

kokiricubone's avatar By kokiricubone on Aug 6, 2014

So I'm just gonna get out this out of the way if you hate un-finished storys you will hate this anime.

this anime is near perfect an amazing story consisting of randomn phenomenons occuring to a group of five, Taichi,Inaba,Iori,Yui,Aoki these charcters combined are amazing and have some serious devlopment and romantic situations and this is pleasing after bonding with them for many episodes and the insights to their past are either gutwrenchingly horrible or tear worthy happy.

The animation and art are near flawless with some minor issues (like Iori's beauty spot diaspearing for a second) and the sound is so fitting you feel like your there.

This anime is worth watching and the dubs are ok I suppose but back onto what I was saying about it un-finished.

The Company who provided the voice actors Silverline (I hope I got that right) decided to play a silly prank on a man for a small voice acting role in KC and after once they said it was a hoax they gave him a small job to compensate for it but that didn't stop the media outrage sadly and it is unlikley for s2 to be realeased.

Despite what animeplanet says there are 17 episodes but the last four feel rushed and not to par with the others but still the endings sweet.

bentobox's avatar By bentobox on Jul 29, 2014

Kokoro Connect is about a group of friends who are messed with by some "godlike" entity who can possess other humans.  All he wants is to be entertained so he sets parameters and messes with the cast of the show.  One of the ways he messes with them is by swapping their souls.  As you can imagine, this causes a lot of confusion among the characters and also leads to a decent amount of fan service.

Kokoro Connect is a Slice-of-Life anime with some paranormal stuff happening throughout.

It's the paranormal element and individual character motives that makes this show enjoyable, but it fell a little short for me.

All of the characters a likeable and enjoyable to watch but the series didn't feel like it was ready to end by the time things were getting wrapped up.  Even the last words of the series are begging for a season 2.

Additionally, the paranormal plot ended with little to no actual resolution or explanation as to what the paranormal thing was.  Had I known that going in, maybe I wouldn't be as let down.

The series, over all, felt that it could have gone in any number of directions:

• Dark Thriller like Paranormal Agent
  • Psychological Horror meets Moe like Higurashi
  • All out fan service with some darker undertones like Myself Yourself or School Days

Instead, it chose to walk a very fine line in the middle, but not in a good way.  In the end, the show felt flat.  For as much time as they spent on character development, there was little to no resolution to their stories - especially the love triangle that was practically front and center the whole show.

Lots of loose ends is the bane of this show.  Had things actually "ended", I could have seen me rating this much higher.

It's a good watch, but a little lack luster.

DEMONGO1154's avatar By DEMONGO1154 on Dec 11, 2014

currently enjoying this anime greatly howerever this series is not 13 eppisodes! its really 17...
plan to update this further once completed watching the remainder of this anime. :)

7.5/10 story