Kirepapa

DraconaDragon's avatar By on Mar 4, 2015

This anime is delightfully cheesy, with over the top rosey, sparkeling backgrounds where ever theres an opertunity. Over all kind of funny and light hearted in a way. I'm laughing becuase its good. Theres not much depth to anything but it almost adds to the charm. Sad to say its so short. Over all a good time.

Audreycat's avatar By on Dec 19, 2009

It has the power to make me melt. I can't give it bad ratings I find it really good. yeah its alittle weird how the dad son grampa look the same age but I mean its the world of cute so who cares =)

snivets's avatar By on Jul 19, 2012

The world of BL is filled with manga/anime like this one: a shallow story with flat characters, numerous-and therefore difficult-to-accept-as-realistic coincidences, low-quality animation, and drama for the sake of drama, otherwise known as one of the lowest forms of entertainment: melodrama.

Story: Barely existant, the first episode consists of Riju's father, Chisato, trying to scare away his friends because he's paranoid that they're out to have sex with Riju and then Riju's friend Shunsuke confessing his undying rabu for Chisato. In the second, Riju is revealed to have  a boyfriend, then everyone ends up at Chisato's family's inn and no one wants to recognize anyone else's relationship. Yawn.

Animation: Again, average, boring, fairly low-quality. Understandable, because who gives budget to things that appeal to a very limited audience and won't make any money anyway?

Characters: I have a big problem with a character's personality being defined solely by their status as seme or uke. It makes every single seme the same and every single uke the same, and therefore everything else becomes formulaic--and why would I want to watch the same thing over and over? Furthermore, when the only aspect of a character is their reaction to someone else (Chisato's character IS that he's overprotective of Riju), the characters come off as shallow, flat, and uninteresting.

Overall: A BL fan can choose to steadfastly ignore the fact that the majority of BL is crap, a behavioral pattern usually followed by batshit uguu~ fangirling over it. Definition: most BL fangirls. If you fall into this category, I'm sure you will enjoy Kirepapa. Then, once you're done enjoying it, please grow up and become a member of reality.

The alternative is to recognize the immaturity of the BL industry and expect better out of it. As a fan, I watch the few things that get animated, because I keep hoping for better. I usually end up regretting wasting my time. There is a core canon of decent webcomics, light novels, manga, and so so few anime: things that don't fall into mediocre obscurity. If this sounds like you, stick to that stuff and skip Kirepapa.