Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season

Add review
ThePatches's avatar
May 23, 2011

In the spring of 2010, Kimi ni Todoke charmed many viewers with its floral visuals and stunning performance by Mamiko Noto as Sawako Kuronuma. Like a rarefied picture of high school romance, the series drew out the bittersweet anticipation that comes from not knowing how your crush feels about you, and turned it into a kind of delightful torture--for viewers who were into that kind of thing. Sadly, the second season didn't understand that a heart (and attention span) can only handle so much tension and tried to cram in too many extra episodes before giving us sweet, sweet resolution.

As season two gets underway Sawako seems in a good place. She’s gone on a date with the ever-cheerful and quick-to-blush Kazehaya and seems to have weathered the machinations of Kurumi. So, the stage SHOULD be set for sloppy make-outs and episode after episode of gooey fawning, right? Not really. Instead of trudging forward and exploring a developing relationship, Kimi ni Todoke Season 2 backpedals from the first installment, retreating into the same painful pattern of misunderstandings that shaped the prequel. As a result, the first half of this series plays out in a painful exercise of “been there, done that” that seriously stretches Sawako’s credibility as a character.

Luckily, as time grows short near the end, the best parts of the cast (no, Kent, you are not included in that group) press the two leads towards the conclusion for which all of us have been waiting. These final episodes capture the hand-wringing anticipation of high school romance and showcase the nuggets of sincerity hiding underneath the overblown melodrama. In the end, however, the show drags out too little content to be worthy of its twelve episode run, regardless of the warm feelings that Kimi ni Todoke brings forth.

Production I.G.’s sparkles are back in force as the second season makes use of the same decorative flowers, bubbles, and stills to highlight key emotional moments. The vivid color palette and detailed school backgrounds also return, all of which make this series easy on the eyes. Lastly, charming shifts between chibi and realistic characters once again forms the cornerstone of the show's humor and helps the animation retain a manga-seque senseibility

In a small twist, this show seems to feature more silhouette shots than its prequel, which draws attention to the characters' odd appearances. Their small, smooth noses and bulbous lips conjure the appearance of humanoid dinosaurs (I didn't believe it until I saw it, but look for yourself).

Once again, Mamiko Noto animates Sawako through an extremely nimble performance that anchors the cast. Sliding from saccharine highs to throaty lows suits the wild emotions of the series just fine and ensures that even as her character development stalls a touch, the show’s lead remains entertaining. Following Noto-san’s, example, the rest of the cast delivers in the same strong turns that set them apart last season.

"Sawakaze"--the opening theme--conjures the same intimate kindness of the first season's opening and the fits--despite it's electric instrumentation--with the collection of piano-based incidental music that adorns the each episode. The simple themes suit the pastel visuals well, conjuring a sense of idyllic high school life. Sadly, the ending, which is named after the series, feels a bit too stuffed with schmaltz. While this sits with the show's melodrama, it lacks the endearing sincerity of the prequel's ending number.

Sawako remains much the social cripple and Kazehaya the insecure nice boy. These roles worked fine in the first season, but threaten to flatten the leads when they’re locked in their holding patterns in regard to each other. While the protagonist does learn from Kurumi's machinations that she has a group of sincere and steadfast friends, she remains overly concerned with Kazehaya's reputation and continues to clam up in the face of misunderstandings. This character trait serves as the entire force behind the plot, but that seems a weak excuse when viewers are treated to an indentical set of anxieties in this show as what we saw before.

As a result, it falls once again to the antagonist to create some sparks and forward motion. Kurumi spices up the proceedings in season one, and her scheming pushes Sawako to examine her feelings for Kazehaya. After her confession, the blonde rival slides into the background requiring this season to produce a new catalyst in the form of Kento Miura. Where his predecessor has an solid motive, considerable cunning, and the delicious voice of Aya Hirano, Kent relies heavily on whimsy and mystery. Not a terribly strong combination. Since he lacks malice and refuses to reveal any goals whatsoever, his actions never rise above annoying meddling. The kind of hatred he inspires comes from his underlying uselessness instead of anger at any deliberate harm he does to Sawako. In this case, a deep snow or power outage would have proven a more compelling villain.

Thankfully, everyone else knows how to dance the dance, acting in the second season like a group of sophomores returning to school (see what I did there?). Chizuru and Pin, in particular inhabit their skins comfortably, blundering into the right or wrong actions with such unflappable confidence as to further endear them to the viewer. These developments act as salve against the painful possibility of stagnation that looms when Sawako ties herself up in knots about whether she can be more than friends with her crush.

Overall

Kimi ni Todoke Season Two still manages to delight the ears and eyes but overstays its welcome. By dragging out its meager plot allotment longer than believable and trying to make a villain out of a decidedly vanilla antagonist, this installment tarnishes much of the magic so adeptly conjured by the prequel.

7.8/10 animation
xxjacobxx3's avatar
Apr 20, 2011

This was a well executed 'girl and boy fall in love and get together' anime.

My only complaint is that they turned a 9 episode anime into a 12 episode anime (thats just considering the 2nd season, but I think the first season is about the same way). Its very slow paced, more so than I think it needs to be for the type of anime it is. I know that its suppose to be generally  slow paced since its a romance story with heartfelt moments. I just think they abuse it in an attempt to prolong the anime.

Some things to note:

A) This anime is not filled with ecchi. (YAY!!!) This means that they dont have to substitute ecchi in for their terrible story and characters.

B) Its light hearted with very little violence. It doesnt have high strunged little whiney bitches every other scene.

C) I found myself screaming at the indecisiveness of the characters, but i learned to appreciate the humor of it and just sit back and called them names during the long sparkly scenes... like "baka" and... "dum hoe"... etc

I think this anime would appeal more to females; however, i think anyone can watch and enjoy it. For the record... I am a male and im not gay. I thought at one point in time... I would like to have a gf that i could watch stuff like this with. Then again, i would like to have a gf to watch death note or code geass with too. lol! peace you people.

delolmo's avatar
Dec 31, 2015

I enjoyed the second season more than the first one but I still feel it was too slowed paced for my liking. Despite that, I still loved the characters and the humor of the anime!

I think it is something powerful about loving someone for who they really are. The fact that the main character is bullied is something than many can relate to including myself. Thus, I could not help but shared some of the feelings and be happy for the happy ending.

eaper's avatar
Apr 1, 2011

I will preface this review with a somewhat obvious statement: If you did not like the original, you aren't going to enjoy this one. If you enjoyed the first, you will probably enjoy this one too. I will start out by saying that the first episode or two will be a punch in the stomach for those of you that were thrilled by the end of season one... because they basically go back to square one. Or worse. And it is just as... frustrating as the small set backs in season one, but, if that doesn't make you fall more in love with the series, then you probably couldn't have finished season one and wouldn't be giving this season a chance. I will also note that this series is only 12 episodes, giving it a feeling of missing some attachment I had for season one, which is a little disappointing, but that isn't by any means a completely negative comment. That said, I shall get onto the bulk of the review.

Story: 9/10

Similar to the first season, many a highschool antic gets in between Sawako and Kazaya, but that is what makes this series touching. The characters begin to grow, emotions are captured, interesting events happen- even if a bit slowly. And that is one of the things that I loved about this series. If you can take the slow nature of the story, although it isn't as slow as season one, IMO, then I can't see you NOT loving it as well.

Animation: 8/10

No real action scenes to truly define the series, but great character designs overall, combined with genre shifts when appropriate, making the characters seem to properly express their emotions make this a clean series to watch and enjoy.

Sound: 8/10

The OP and ED are very much in the same vane as the first season- very fitting. The voice acting is very well done, bringing in a lot of big names from the last season and adding new talent in a rather important secondary character. The songs are well done, adding to the mood in a good way, although lacking much truly awe-inspiring moments.

Characters: 9/10

This is the make or break point for slow shows of this nature. The first season spent a long time developing a large number of the background characters, and that is what really got a large part of the audience to fall for it. Now, a major woe in the first season was that the least developed character happened to be an important one: Kazaya. They go about fixing this in a believable, albeit slightly depressing form. They take him off his metaphorical pedestal by giving him this new form of life. But this is good, it makes him relatable and more likable. Aside from that, they do a good job introducing a new character to stir everything up, and leave the old characters all in the same roles they had in the first season.

Overall: 8.5

I absolutely adore these series. If you liked the first season, you should stop reading here and jump on the second. Like I said, it isn't quite as... emotionally connecting as season one, but it is also half the length. Also, it could be because I marathoned about half of season one, while I watched all of S2 week by week (sans the delay caused by the earthquakes and such). Either way, if you're a fan of slow paced, shoujo, love stories, I strongly recommend this series.

sneezetease's avatar
Jul 7, 2014

was a more innocent, tender love story ever told? if so, i don't want to watch it because the warm feels will make my chest implode.  some people i know will criticize this anime because it is somewhat shallow in plot, maybe boring.  but i really found this anime to be very charming. everytime shouta and sawako blushed at each other i swear i started fangirling so hard i couldn't breath. maybe you have to be a sucker for romance to enjoy this, ha! i also have always wished that love like this existed. there is no rationale to it, two people are just so precious to each other that they see colors when they're together, time almost stops and they're in some other third space of their own.  i've just never seen someone so crazy about someone else and it was just truly touching to see shouta chasing after her, to see them so nervous around each other, it just feels like the cutest love story ever told. and the perfect ending was shouta fist pumping away on his bike and it feels like "yes!" and finally