Karneval

KingArthur13th's avatar By on Nov 23, 2013

I normally don't write a review about an anime I dropped but I already read the manga so I'm really confident about my review.

Story: (30/100)

Allow me to try and explain the plot of this series. Karneval is about a boy named Nai who is searching for an old friend and his search brings him in contact with a young pickpocket named Gareki. These two are soon thrown into a battle between the supernatural Government defense force known as Circus and a evil supernatural organization named Kafka that develops these demonic creatures called Varugas. Gareki and Nai join Circus as both Kafka and Circus are interested in Nai who isn't as human as he appears. This is basically what you get from watching this series.

Animation: (90/100)

Okay, lets try and talk about the good parts in this series. Karneval has stunning animation which is kinda saddening when you think about it. It's like the producers knew this show was going to blow so they tried to make the animation as beautiful as possible in an effort to distract you from the plot which is also strange since the plot is non-existent. The character designs are glorious and so if there's anyone looking for a good cosplay, you might want to check out Karneval.

Music & Sound: (25/100)

Music? Well the opening song is definitely great but the soundtrack is forgettable, hell I barely even remember what music played during most of the show. The voice actors are on point though.

Characters: (30/100)

The story for this anime isn't as simple as you think and the characters leave a lot to be desired. At first you think it's about finding this guy Kuroko who this mutated creature turned human (Nai) is looking for, then you think it's about Circus protecting the world from Kafka. All in all, the real question at the end of this series is what use is there for a character like Nai. Even after learning about what he truly is he still seems to serve no purpose to either Circus or Kafka. Nai and Gareki are basically the main characters but after a while (a short while), Nai becomes nothing but a background character and all the interesting people (which are few) are just his bodyguard. The only characters I actually liked was Tsukumo and Kiichi, only because of their design and their badass natures. Everyone in this series is pretty much eye candy.

Overall + Entertainment: (43/100) + 3

Karneval is a series bridled with glorious animation and incredible character designs but a pretty bad story line. The only ones that might actually find this series interesting might be Fujoshi for the massive amount of Bishies and shounen-ai moments. The music isn't very memorable. The only good music for this series is it's opening song. There really isn't anything going for this series, even the action sequences are pretty dull and very short. A plot? Karneval attempts to have a plot but is then sidetracked by something like Gareki's past which does nothing for the story and some carnival shows that are visually entertaining but do nothing for the plot.

2.5/10 sound
4.6/10 overall
triviper's avatar By on Jul 2, 2014

Spring 2013 Anime Review - Karneval
- Eps 7 when the tank broke... the water physics were absurd…
- Bit too homo for my tastes, has its moments
- Feels like vampire knight in a few ways
- Gets better as it progresses
- Should have wasted less time at the start and allowed more time to expand on what happens later
- Perfect anime to recommend for LGBT
- Anyhow, the ending was okay albeit incomplete. Maybe there will be S2 or an OVA? You could have picked worse anime this season.

————————————————————————————————

UPDATE: Anime-Planet has removed the Blog feature where this post was originally published on March 23, 2014. I pulled the scores from my ratings, although this is NOT a formal review. Think of it more as “thoughts on…<anime title>”. I wrote my thoughts out as I progressed through the series, so contradictions may occur as my opinion shifts. To shorten the post I took excerpts from the original. Sorry for any inconvenience and please leave your thoughts below! :)

2013 Spring Anime Reviews:

• Attack on Titan - http://www.anime-planet.com/users/triviper/reviews/14071
  • Gargantia - http://www.anime-planet.com/users/triviper/reviews/14072
  • The Flowers of Evil - http://www.anime-planet.com/users/triviper/reviews/14073
  • Arata the Legend - http://www.anime-planet.com/users/triviper/reviews/14074
  • RDG - http://www.anime-planet.com/users/triviper/reviews/14079
  • Crime Edge - http://www.anime-planet.com/users/triviper/reviews/14080
  • Valvrave S1 - http://www.anime-planet.com/users/triviper/reviews/14081
karenaangel's avatar By on Jun 12, 2013

Okay I love how everyone is saying how it is just a show for bl lovers. Well maybe I can see definitely see it. I have been reading the manga and was truly excited when they announced that there would be an adaptation coming out. I will admit that it does have its moments of what the hell, but in all honestly it is a good show.

Alot of people say that the animation is great and the only reason people like it is because of all the pretty people. No I find the characters interesting and amusing. The story is kind of slow but it is the getting there and unraveling all the 'why' and how that surrounds the characters is what makes the show. However most who haven't read the manga may not seem to get that, but love it or hate it. You have to admit the animation is wonderful.

thegingerwolf's avatar By on Jul 10, 2013

This was a rather good adaption of the manga, generally following the plot. The animation was excellent, the characters were likable, and the music was nice, however the plot may seem to have "loose ends" because it was never meant to be a long anime, but it was following the manga- o if you were to read the manga, it would make sense.

MayaHorigome's avatar By on Sep 7, 2013

Yes! Karneval! One of my favorite anime!

Story(9/10)-
Not original, but it is very interesting. Even the the first episode was action-filled, it felt a bit slow paced. But that is good in this case, because you need to get attached to the characters. i couldn't wait a week for each new episode to come out. They keep you wondering if the characters will be okay.

Art(10/10)
One word: BEAUTIFUL. Touya's art is just amazing. The characters designs are very interesting. I think this is one of the only anime i have seen where they change clothes often. So they are not just stuck in their chosen clothes. Yes, there are bishounen and bishoujo. I, for one, like beautiful characters, but that's not all i pay attention to.  The colors are bright and vivid, which can keep your eyes glued to the screen.

Sound(10/10)
Well done. The voice actors are brilliant.  They really bring the characters alive. Hiro Shimono did an amazing job at making Nai innocent and adorable. The famous Hiroshi Kamiya and  Mamoru Miyano did absolutely outstanding jobs with Yogi and Gareki. Aya Endou, Tsukumo's voice actor, has a beautiful voice, and not annoying like most female characters. Hirato's is the mysterious yet sexy Daisuke Ono.

Characters (10/10)

There are only 3 instances to where this happens with me. Inuyasha, Hetalia and now Karneval. These are the only anime that i actually like all of the characters except for one or two.
Nai- Too adorable for words. Seriously. Whenever he shows up on the screen and starts talking, i just start smiling like an idiot.  He is a young boy, who doesn't really understand human emotions. He tries his best for everyone. Even though he thinks everyone gets hurt because of him. The way he interacts with the rest of the cast is to cute for words. He doesn't know how to use vocabulary very well, but he is improving.Even though he doesn't show it often, he is  brave and he is always concerned about his friends.

Gareki-  A thief. He doesn't like showing his emotions to other people, but he is very caring, so you could call him a "tsundere". He is smart, even for his age. His friendships with the cast can be very heart-warming and hilarious. The way he interacts with Yogi is just....i don't even...The past episode was very funny with these two. He looks after Nai, kind of like a brother, but sometimes abuses him by throwing books at him. Minor spoiler, not important  though, but when Gareki finds out about Nai's origin, you can see Gareki blushing and scolding himself for being such an idiot. Deep down, you could say he actually cares for Nai.

Yogi- Even his name is funny. Miyano really brought this character to life. His interactions are very funny. Despite his childish nature,  he is very strong, even though he dislikes fighting.

Tsukumo- One of the few female characters of anime that i actually like and can tolerate. Though she doesn't show up much, Tsukumo is a  beauty and is very strong. These past couple episodes that involved her really had me on the edge of my seat. I kept asking myself "Is Tsukumo going to be okay??" This past episode, the beginning,  my stomach dropped. But i was very please with the ending.

Out of all the characters, i don't like Jiki and Kiichi.

Overall (10/10) I really enjoyed this and i', already  started on the manga.  I only wish they had more episodes. I am truly sad it ended so quickly. I recommend this to anyone who likes fantasy and can actually look past the bishounen.