Karneval

VeBea's avatar By VeBea on Nov 15, 2014

First of all the Design of the Characters is great~! I mean the way they were drawn, the details and the design of their clothes are truly amazing~! 10 out of 10 for that~!

Also, the Sound is great. The music is really catchy, although it might seem a little bit confusing of why the anime has such a lively ending that talks about love xD The voice actors are really well chosen for this.

Animation is really well done...I think the design of the characters would go into this category xD

The story was hmm...OK...but not that great. The plot is really interesting, but it could have been developed more. They could have explained in the beginning the real purpose of The Circus and what they do..because it sometimes gets confusing to see new characters appear and 'having to assume' that they belong to the organization or not. The fact that the characters also seem to 'think' a lot and have a lot of monologues gets really irritating.

I wish they had made more than 13 episodes and had developed the plot more. The Circus crew deserves to have some episodes where their life is explained and also why they exist.

I think the way that the anime itself is supposed to be kinda misterious makes up for the lacking plot. Also the design of the characters makes up a lot for that particular lack of the whole anime.

Overall, I give it a 9 out of 10 because I think it's a really catching anime, with a really great animation and the plot is kinda unique. Not a lot of anime like this nowadays. xD

<script type="text/javascript" src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.1/jquery.min.js"></script><div id="divLookup" style="background-color: #ffff77; color: #000000; position: absolute; top: 333px; left: 220px; padding: 3px; z-index: 10000; -moz-border-radius: 3px;"></div>
TallyCrow's avatar By TallyCrow on Jul 22, 2014

(My opinion everyone)

I had this as my to watch for a while and because I started an anime I wasn’t getting into straight away, I felt like I wanted something I can quickly watch and enjoy and this was perfect for me as it is only 13 eps long.

The Storyline was really good and I enjoyed the whole thing. It was really unique and I haven’t seen anything like it before. The reason it isn’t a 10/10 is because although I wanted a short anime, I felt this should have been longer and the end was a little bit rushed.

The Animation and Sound was perfect especially the parts with Nai when he blanks out.

The Characters were very well thought of but I felt like some relationships in this could have been developed a lot better and stronger. Nai is such a clueless person throughout most of it but whenever he showed a backbone and strength I cheered him on like he could hear me. The other main characters being Gareki, Tsukumo and Yogi were all really important to the anime as all 3 had completely different types of personalities but when put together made a perfect person to be friends with.

Overall I really enjoyed this Anime with the only fault being that I wanted it to be longer.

9.5/10 story
abnormalizeNOT1's avatar By abnormalizeNOT1 on Jul 19, 2014

Just purchased Karneval: Complete Series Limited Edition via Amazon.com even though watched Karneval while it aired during Spring 2013. Having over the years kept up with the ongoing trends of anime. I really have noticed that anime like this don't seem to flood the market. Karneval certainly is geared more after closer introspection for the female audience especially because of all the cute anime guys and anime girls pretty much everywhere. It's not to say it is not for guys too but it seems from MyAnimeList and other anime fan communities guys dislike it for the obvious fanservice geared toward the female audience. I'm not sure this is too off the mark but if you are open-minded then you can also enjoy this. I still like Karneval perhaps for this aspect because it is going for the female anime fan audience in mind in a world where most anime just seem to be geared for the male anime fan in mind.

That said Karneval has a very interesting unique Fantasy premise. It delivers this surreal and magical fun feeling. The two main guy characters are Nai and Gareki. Nai is really cute and part of the reason decided to get Karneval: Complete Series Limited Edition was the voice acting for Nai was so adorable. Thanks in part owed to Hiro Shimono. Gareki also has a really noticeable voice actor who is Hiroshi Kamiya. His voicing here is at play as a mixture of his two voice types: serious and funny.

The animation as many anime fans have pointed out has very high production values accredited to Manglobe (Deadman Wonderland, Ergo Proxy).

One main area also to mention where Karneval excels is the music. It has a strong stamp with the OP (Opening Theme Song) known as "Henai no Rondo" by GRANRODEO. Finally, we have "REASON" by KAmiYU who have just been informed is sung by the voice actors Hiroshi Kamiya and Miyu Irino. Know I see it but didn't expect Hiroshi Kamiya could sing so amazingly too besides being a talented voice actor. Between the OP and ED really love Reason since it has this colorful and fun playful sound to it but both really do fit to the anime series.

Karneval's premise by Anime News Network
Nai searches for someone important to him, with only an abandoned bracelet as a clue. Gareki steals and pick-pockets to get by from day to day. The two meet in a strange mansion where they are set-up, and soon become wanted criminals by military security operatives. When Nai and Gareki find themselves desperate in a hopeless predicament, they encounter none other than the country's most powerful defense organization, "Circus". The Circus is a Defense organization that works for the government. They perform raids to capture criminals and solve crimes that the Security force otherwise cannot handle. After their raids, they put on shows as an apology for scaring the citizens. Their group consists of the strongest, most capable fighters that use a special type of bracelet, known as Circus I.D., to fight.

It basically sums up the series. Karneval has fighting sequences that from fan input seems to be rated highly. The cuteness aspect in the series though is very much the focus. Still there are instances where things aren't serious and just hilarious but it eventually does get serious. This series was a Spring 2013 Anime Season offering which watched online beside the also airing The Devil is a Part-Timer! by FUNIMATION. For the conclusion think this is way better than The Devil is a Part-Timer! simply because while open-ended it still gave the impression it was the only reasonable way it could end. Personally one of the main reasons picked up Karneval: Complete Series Limited Edition was that an anime like this doesn't come often and even then doesn't get licensed here in North America. Sentai Filmworks licenses a lot of "unique" anime but FUNimation does only occasionally. Karneval is just that very unique, so had to get this. By the way, The Devil is a Part-Timer! is also another unique and interesting anime series, so for male anime fans who already think this might not be for you then that series was pretty hilarious. It also had high animation production values like Karneval.

karenaangel's avatar By karenaangel on Jun 12, 2013

Okay I love how everyone is saying how it is just a show for bl lovers. Well maybe I can see definitely see it. I have been reading the manga and was truly excited when they announced that there would be an adaptation coming out. I will admit that it does have its moments of what the hell, but in all honestly it is a good show.

Alot of people say that the animation is great and the only reason people like it is because of all the pretty people. No I find the characters interesting and amusing. The story is kind of slow but it is the getting there and unraveling all the 'why' and how that surrounds the characters is what makes the show. However most who haven't read the manga may not seem to get that, but love it or hate it. You have to admit the animation is wonderful.

thegingerwolf's avatar By thegingerwolf on Jul 10, 2013

This was a rather good adaption of the manga, generally following the plot. The animation was excellent, the characters were likable, and the music was nice, however the plot may seem to have "loose ends" because it was never meant to be a long anime, but it was following the manga- o if you were to read the manga, it would make sense.