Kare Kano

Alt titles: His and Her Circumstances

sothis's avatar By on Sep 11, 2004

Kare Kano was recommended to me by quite a few people as another good look at relationships, in a realistic way. Perhaps I expected too much, but I came into it thinking it would be a relationship series. I was wrong.

While the first under 10 episodes do focus primarily on the two main characters becoming involved, barely any serious mention of the relationship happens after the fact. There are a few minor exceptions later on, but the overall tone changes quickly from "wow, this could be a great relationship series", to "random filler comedy". Keep in mind, the comedy isn't even that funny, or at least *i* didn't think so. The problem with it was that it tried TOO hard to be comedic and random, but just ended up falling flat. The filler tended to focus on the characters and their pasts/lives/etc, but was too scattered and random. The overall good relationship series feel is overthrown by silly attempts at lovers quarrels or misunderstandings, with slapstick thrown in.

Another huge disadvantage to this series is the amount of flashbacks involved with the story. At first, a mention at the beginning of each episode of what happened in the prior one is a decent idea, especially since the series is new and people want to pick it up. However, the flashbacks continue during EVERY SINGLE EPISODE at the beginning, eventually getting to upwards of 3 minutes, explaining everything that has happened. It's like the producers thought "OH GOD, ONE MORE PERSON MIGHT TUNE IN ON WEEK 15!! BETTER SHOW THE WHOLE STORY AGAIN!". Not to mention, eventually the flashbacks span an entire episode, or even ONE AND A HALF. Obviously the people who wrote the series realized how incredibly uninteresting the "plot" was once the relationship was over, so they felt the just needed to rehash the relationship flashback over and over, so people would keep watching, thinking and hoping that kind of a good story would come back again.

In addition, there really isn't an ending.. and the last episode doesn't even really focus on the main characters anyways (or more of it doesn't). Granted, since the plot went right down the toilet after a few episodes, it isn't like it could end on a dramatic plot note... but intense angst and random sad thoughts of the characters made it seem like it would end on a tragic note, and instead it just ended. Bah.
The animation is definitely older looking, with very simple looking character designs. At first (like most other things in this series), the animation seems like it will be a decent mix of certain things: regular style, chibis occasionally, and interesting mixes of real shots as well as stenciled images during the stressful type scenes. Artistic, you think... but not for long.

As the series progresses the animation steadily becomes more and more chibified and still drawings. By the last few episodes, it was just ridiculous. Literally 5 minutes of one episode would be normal animation, and the rest would be super cheesy chibis all the time, or massive amounts of still scenes that looked like they took 2 seconds to draw. I'm all for comedic drawings or the occasional tasteful still shot, but as I said, Kare Kano pushed new boundaries. Not since Violinist of Hamelin have I seen so many still shots near the end. Also, as the last few episodes crept up, it just started getting plain weird. Abstract visuals and such made you think you were watching End of Eva or something obscure. Big thumbs down from me on the animation.
The music definitely gets high marks from me. A few of the tracks made me think of Amelie (a very well-done French movie), and others were simply beautiful piano pieces. I didn't pay much attention to the normal or comedic parts, because it sounded like regular old anime background music. But I must say that the sad or melancholy happy tracks were beautiful.

As far as voice actors, fairly fitting. Though one of Yukino's friend's voice didn't fit her small childlike appearance.
I can't lie and say there wasn't character development, because the majority of the series are based on that, but the character development just wasn't interesting, moving, or otherwise compelling at all to me. Take the two main characters... once Yukino and Arima hook up (this isn't really a spoiler, as it happens in episode 2 I believe), they still have serious issues becoming "involved" with each other. Granted, I know this is partially a cultural thing, but it still bothered me. One of the reasons people told me to watch this if I liked KgNE, was because like KgNE, Kare Kano was "real", especially about the relationships. I can't see how anyone thought that! They still have serious issues even kissing for a long time after they start dating, they still are totally insecure if the other likes them, even though THEY ARE DATING for christ's sake.

I will admit (and the reason why this score was a 7 and not a 4) that at some times, the characters did seem real... such as their skeletons in the closet from their pasts, their hangups on insecurity and flaws that I think most high schoolers and even adults have. But this was overshadowed by extreme immaturity involving the actual relationship, in their case.

Most of the characters had at least one episode devoted to them. In some cases, this was appropriate and worked well, such as Yukino's friends. In others, it felt like the episode was just completely randomly thrown in, and was totally uninteresting (such as Yukino's parents, and her sisters, the only episode (25) that I actually almost completely skipped because of how annoyed I was at the series at that point).

In general, I just wasn't attached to any of them. Yukino was extremely bi-polar and whiny, and overreacted to everything. Arima became flat out weird by the last few eps (and it REALLY reminded me of the last two episodes of Eva, the whole "retrospective look inside my mind" thing). The friends were obnoxious and acted totally immature and asinine. Blech.
Overall
Quite frankly, this series did not live up to its hype at ALL. I see almost entirely positive reviews for this series everywhere else, and I just don't know why. I really had high hopes for it at the beginning, thinking it would be a good relationship series. Granted, I thought it was really bipolar (I don't like series which alternate between extreme slapstick and extreme seriousness), but I still had hope. But after awhile, the relationship idea went down the drain and the filler was totally uninteresting.

I just don't see why this series would get high reviews. The animation was bad, the characters were either unrealistic or shallow, though the series did try to make them 3-dimensional. The flow was complete garbage from episode to episode, it couldn't decide if it was a show, or a series made entirely of recap episodes, etc.

And just as a note, I like slice of life shows. I like slow shows, and I like shows about nothing. But nothing about this slice of life type show was amusing, funny, or exciting, except the weak concept of a relationship which was ditched for randomness and "humor" early on.

I gave Kare Kano a 6 because the music was good, and sometimes the characters showed depth. Plus it wasn't complete trash, so it didn't get a low 5 or below. But still, I completely recommend not seeing this. If you want a relationship series, watch an actual relationship series like Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. If you want a light random comedy, get Azumanga Daioh, Fruits Basket, or perhaps Jing. But Kare Kano's fatal flaw is that it can't decide what kind of show it wants to be, and/or visually looks like the budget got totally wiped the last 6-8 episodes. I want 26 episodes worth of my life back.

For rewatchability, very, very poor. I would never watch this again. Not only was there no plot, but the filler/slice of life stuff was completely non-funny and boring. Bad animation and two-dimensional who are trying to be three-dimensional characters made for a bad experience all around.
roriconfan's avatar By on Jul 11, 2012

I am no fan of romances. I find them very superficial and eventless, simplistic and above all UNREAL. Yet there are a few exception when even I (almost) cried while watching these soap operas and such a case was Kare Kano. It was different for two simple yet meaningful reasons.
1) The artwork was full of colorless pencil sketches and footage of real photographs on various scenes. Although one would rush to call that lazy or lack of funds, it worked for me because as I said made it so much different than you average flowers and rainbows looking romance. It was artistic on its own way to show sketching and photography. So what if it’s cheaper to make than usual? It sure worked for me.
2) The main characters are all full of internal monologues, revealing their real selves as well as their thoughts to the viewer, when at first they appear to be different people, pretending to be perfect in the eyes of the world. This game of façade and revelation gave a psychological endoscope to a genre that most would never dream of expecting. It is about shallow teen romances; who cares about psychology? Well I do if I am to stay interested for more than five minutes. And it worked marvelously.

Kare Kano is still the archetypical story of teenage couples in high school, falling in love and having to deal with some serious (for their still carefree age) problems. The thing that makes it different is the transition from rivalry, to friendship, to a relationship out of norms (perfect people deserve perfect people), to the revelation that both are not what they appear to be at first. It is very amazing to see how someone can pretend to be a completely different person in public just to have a positive image and for a genre that aims to have its cast as perfect as possible, Kare Kano did a bold thing to make them imperfect along the way, without ever making them unsympathetic sanavabitches (School Days anyone?). They are just far more edgy and messy in their private lives but that is all. Nothing terrible but still enough to spoil their image and thus worthy of being kept top secret to anyone who is not in a relation with them.

The story escalates very fast in the beginning and unlike most romances it is not about the couple blushing, looking away, hitting each other over misunderstandings and after 100 episodes simply admitting they just “like” each other. No sir, straight from the beginning they are drawn together and their façade drops almost immediately. Along the way we see something similar happening to many other secondary characters, thus the feeling of introspection slowly expands to more than two people. That is another great thing I liked about it.

Unfortunately, Kare Kano still suffered from heavy budget restraints and towards the end had to mostly rely on static pictures to keep going to the point it was no longer artistic but plain cheap and boring. At least the music department didn’t suffer from that since the OST was done before the restrains kicked in. And it is a good collection of pop and piano pieces, fitting the mood of the series. Also, the voice actors never gave irritating tones to their characters and thus they are all likable.

The anime also had to stop with the story left incomplete and practically messy. The characters are also going in circles without progressing further because the producers themselves realized they couldn’t move forward and just fooled around until they ran out of episodes. It is very easy to disappoint those who want powerful endings.

Although the quality of the anime drops vertically in the second half, I still cherish it as something unique amongst the genre. And hey, if you so much want to see what happens next, you can always read the manga so it’s not like there is no way to be pleased. Cheap, I know, but better than nothing. I mostly like the artistic overtones and the psychological aspect of the show and not its romantic nature, things that were ruined because of FRAKIN’ SOULLESS MONEY and not lack of talent. And guess what, there were many different directors in the show, the most important and famous of which is Hideaki Anno of the NGE fame. Still wonder why the characters are so mentally unstable? But anyways, it is a worthy title after of which you must run to read the rest in the manga. That is all.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 5/10
General Artwork 1/2 (cute but run down)
Character Figures 1/2 (generic)
Backgrounds 2/2 (artsy)
Animation 0/2 (bad)
Visual Effects 1/2 (artsy)

SOUND SECTION: 8/10
Voice Acting 3/3 (simple but meaningful)
Music Themes 3/4 (not great but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Sound Effects 2/3 (ok I guess)

STORY SECTION: 6/10
Premise 2/2 (interesting)
Pacing 1/2 (erratic)
Complexity 1/2 (not much)
Plausibility 2/2 (plausible)
Conclusion 0/2 (doesn’t exist)

CHARACTER SECTION: 6/10
Presence 2/2 (strong)
Personality 2/2 (rather cheesy but well founded)
Backdrop 1/2 (generic and simplistic but it’s there)
Development 1/2 (strong for some but the rest don’t develop)
Catharsis 0/2 (doesn’t exist)

VALUE SECTION: 7/10
Historical Value 2/3 (quite famous)
Rewatchability 1/3 (low because of too little plot)
Memorability 4/4 (extremely well made to the point of forever remembering it)

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 7/10
Art 1/1 (looks artsy)
Sound 1/2 (nice songs)
Story 2/3 (simple but meaningful; derails in the second half)
Characters 3/4 (they are simple but feel nice)

VERDICT: 6.5/10

FragKrag's avatar By on Mar 14, 2010

Story: 8

Before I started Kare Kano, I had no real expectations, and I was fresh off watching some previous Gainax animes like Evangelion 1.0, and also just after finishing Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. All I heard about the anime was that it was a romance, so before starting it, I imagined it would be like Clannad or some other Romance/Slice of Life/semi-Comedy.

I was pretty wrong.

The story is very well developed in the beginning, introducing both the main characters, and their flaws. Along the way, more characters are introduced, all with their own flaws, though some are delved into more deeply than others. Overall, I felt that the story pieced together incredibly well, which each episode contributing to the developing relationships between the characters. I felt like the anime portrayed the relationships fairly realistically.

However, the main problem with Kare Kano in my opinion was the amazing amount of filler. Most of the episodes would have a 2 minute recap of what had happened, and I think that both episodes 14 and 15 were dominated by filler. Episode 25 was just terrible filler that I skipped after enduring 3-4 minutes of.

The comedy in the show was really a double edged sword. Sometimes it would actually fit, and I would love it. Other times, it would just be isolated from the story, and interrupt the storyline. Without the comedy, Kare Kano would be much more melancholic, but with the slight overuse of it, the story suffered.

The ending wasn't quite the ending that I had hoped for. It is a bit like Berserk in my opinion, for those of you who have seen Berserk. Things begin to gain momentum quickly, and the anime ends. I hated it, but while in Berserk's case (or any other anime actually), I wasn't actually enticed to read the manga, I just left it and started something new. I couldn't with Kare Kano, the story was enticing enough for me to actually trudge through manga (something I despise), and after reading the manga, I can't really see it ending in any other way.

So while it did end on a plot hanger, the story was still quite amazing, and very respectable.

Animation: 6

There really isn't much to say about animation. You could really tell that this anime was made on an extremely tight budget. In an episode, they actually just used cutouts of the characters, and in the last episode, they just cut from the manga. Pretty low budget, but when it wasn't at its absolute worst, it was enough to not get in the way of my experience, but then again I have pretty low expectations when it comes to animation, nor do I care much about it. If it's great, awesome, if not, whatever.

Sound: 10

I really cannot praise the sound enough. The beautiful, slow, melancholic piano pieces, the lively jazz, and everything else. The music was absolutely perfect for me. The music is one of the best things about the anime, and it enhances the experience and the mood of the anime. Every piece of music just fits, and compliments the scene. The music was able to lift my mood, and also enough to wrench at my heart.

I got the soundtrack after finishing the anime, and I still love it. It has been playing essentially nonstop for the last 2 days, and it brings back the feelings that I felt during the anime when the piece of music was playing. It makes me want to rewatch the entire series again.

The voice actors were perfect for how I imagined the characters, except for one. The tsundere girl had an annoying voice actor, but I just hate tsundere so I'm not in a position to judge.

Characters: 10

This is where the anime shines the most. The characters of the anime are the complete driving force of the story. The anime seems to be the exact opposite of Evangelion. Instead of bringing in seemingly 'normal' characters to break piece by piece, Kare Kano brings in troubled characters which it builds up piece by piece. The character development is phenomenal in the series. It introduces troubled characters, and it gradually builds them back up. Each character seems to have some personal troubles which can be as simple as wanting to be praised, or as complex as Arima's situation.

Each character is given a significant amount of screen time to be analyzed and explored. Each personal background is explained, and the characters are given the time to change. None of the characters are the same in the beginning of the anime by the end. While there are the stereotypical development paths, most of the characters are developed in novel, and interesting ways.

I believe that the anime's ultimate triumph is Arima who in my opinion, is both the most interesting, and most troubling of all the characters.

Overall: 9

Kare Kano hit me hard. I loved so many parts about it, but there were also drawbacks to it. The characters and music were really able to pull the anime through the repetitive filler, and the oddly placed comedy. 9 might seem a bit high, considering the score I gave the animation, but to be honest, I just need the animation to actually be animation. The animation in Kare Kano was good enough so that it would not stop be from enjoying the characters, sound, and story.

I love this anime. I love the sound, the characters, and the story. I would love it if they would air a season 2 of the anime that would include everything they left out, and I believe that was their original intention.

mahius's avatar By on Sep 19, 2014

Kare Kano (AKA His and Her Circumstances) is an anime about a group of freshman highschool students during the late 1990s. To say it follows the story of just one character would be inaccurate despite Yukino Miyazawa and Soichiro Arima having the most story and screentime. There is a good amount of romance and more importantly there is a lot of comedy in this anime. Still, things happen, relationships are formed, hostilities take place and people become friends. I'm very worried that I may spoil this anime during this review due to there being significant story progression in the first half of the anime. EDIT: I managed to keep it spoiler free :)

Usually I wouldn't have much to say about animation and sound. The sound here is very good, orchestral and some music that I can only describe as comedic, really help to set the mood during scenes. When certain pieces of music come on, you know what sort of scene to expect, whether its something serious or funny and the music really adds to each moment. Its not so amazing that I want to get the soundtrack however, but thats likely due to my taste in music. This anime is available in both English and Japanese audio. Though I would recommend subtitles as there is a lot of Japanese text used in this anime. Speaking of which, some interesting facts on the English dub voice actors, the actoress for Yukino is the same person who does Ash Ketchum's voice in the original Pokemon anime. Also the mother character and Aya Sawada (side-character) share the same voice actress who did the voices of both Misty and Jesse in the same anime.

Animation is important in this anime. Despite being made during the 1990s, the actual quality of the animation is average at best. But it's the unique way in which they use the animation that really had me excited, the excellent style of animation. The use of colours was unique, in a good way that you wouldn't see in animes too much nowadays. The colours really added to the mood and monochrome or lack of colour (black&white) was used to great effect. For example, during a flashback scene the colours are black and white, which helps to define the scene well. They also use a lot of drawn animation, i.e. sketches, during important moments and it really helps to accentuate the mood and feelings conveyed by the moment. Using single colours and keeping things basic during those moments just makes it easy to understand whats going on, its like a clean animation with no mess. A lot of text is used for jokes and to explain things, such as thought bubbles and labels. It almost gives it a comic book feel and in the last episode, no spoilers, they really go over the top and it feels like an animated comic book/manga which isn't a bad thing. Theres even one episode where they do it in the style of low-budget anime, using paper cut-outs on sticks and real life pictures as backgrounds, which really adds to the comedy value of that episode. That said, the inconsistency in the animation can sometimes be annoying. There are some sequences in which the fourth wall is broken, but these are within reason.

The characters are well thought out. Yukino Miyazawa is arguably the main female character in this anime. It starts off with her story and from the start she appears to be a two-faced model student from a happy middle-class family, acting nice in front of others just for praise. Initially I hated this character, but then you realise that she is only a human being and she has her problems. A good deal of the anime follows the stories of both this character and Soichiro Arima.

The Miyazawa family is a happy, somewhat, normal middle class family. Father seems to be overprotective of his 3 daughters, mother seems to spur the antics of the rest of the family on and Yukino's two younger sisters, are pretty much energetic kids, despite being in middle school. These characters play the comic relief role pretty well, so they are generally funny, father and sisters especially and they even have some serious parts, including a flashback history of the parents.

Souichiro Arima, the main male character, is also a model student, but he is from a prosperous family of Doctors and his father is the head of one hospital. He seems to be the perfect guy, but again you eventually find out that he also has motives to strive for perfection, as well as a tragic dark past. His human side really shows in th later episodes as he finds himself dependant on certain other characters.

Hideaki Asaba plays the perverted fool and is surprisingly a funny character. He aspires to gain the attention of every girl in school and wants Soichiro to help him with his plans. As Soichiro's friend, tends to overstep his boundaries, often staying over at the Arima residence and appearing to have comedic romantic interest with Arima, which he oft denies and the girls swoon over.

Tsubasa Shibahime is another funny character, she is also a freshman high school student, despite both looking and acting like a child. She is agressive and can best be described as an agressive puppy (though oft depicted as a cat, i.e. cat-eyes). She has her own situation, which this anime explores in some episodes. Unfortunately, this character becomes less important during the latter half of the series, depicted as a child/animal doing relevant things like piggy-backing friends and picking a fight with a cat!?! That was a bit disappointing given the investment into this character.

Among the more minor characters, Takefumi Tonami is one who appears towards the end of the anime and this could have been bad (phew), had they handled it terribly. This guy is your typical, used to be fat and bullied, went away and came back good-looking and strong character (I've noticed this type of character in another anime). He has a significant amount of story in the episodes he's in. I could mention other side characters but they all have lesser roles. However those characters are still written well.

The story is great for most of the anime, with the main romance actually having some progression (unlike so many other anime). Theres a lot on backstory and character development too. One thing I didn't like however, was the sheer amount of screen time taken up by recaps. I'm pretty sure there were a few episodes dedicated to recaps. I also was confused at one point as the the progression of the romance, whether something had happened or not. It seemed a bit vague. The ending was also slightly disappointing as it builds up to an event at the school which never gets shown and the last episode gives the impression there's more. I'd have to say the story is the weakest link in what is otherwise a great anime.

Conclusion

If you want to watch an anime for comedy, by all means, I recommend this. There were points where I couldn't help but laugh out loud. If you want romance, then this is also a decent watch. If you feel a bit iffy by the age of this anime, don't be put off, this anime does some things a lot better than some of the more recent anime.

Family-friendliness Rating: 1/5 No ecchi or panty shots whatsoever. Even the pervy guy keeps things rated PG (lower is better)

Overall Rating: 8/10 (higher is better)

8.5/10 animation
showstappa's avatar By on Dec 7, 2011

When I saw the first episode of this one, I really found it very interesting. It is quite unique story for a shoujo for me. The strong points of this manga is the character development and the humor. I liked how the characters developed their feelings for each other. It is also really  funny for a shoujo genre and can really make you laugh out loud as you watch it. But things are only good on the first parts. When it reaches the middle part, the story loses its "interesting" factor and the plot goes into many different directions and will leave you wondering what is really happening between the main characters. The main reason for that is a lot of new characters are introduced and take a lot of space in the plot but their stories doesn't even end with a bang.

If you want an anime that really has a solid, steady and interesting plot then this is not for you. But if you are just after some cheesy moments and humor then you MIGHT like this one.