Kampfer

LimeCultivist's avatar By LimeCultivist on Jul 7, 2013

This anime... some words that immediatly come to mind are horrible, terrible, and completely insubstantial in every way. The first episode (kind of) promised a story. At the start, it seems like it has possible potential with a goofy, gender-bending story. No spoilers, but it only goes downhill from that first episode. The story is dropped, the characters have no development or likeability, there is absolutely nothing good here, I cannot stress that point any more. Well, the animation isn't terrible, but that's like playing a video game for its graphics; you're missing out on what makes it an enjoyable experience. Once again, no spoilers, but episode 11 was the most infuriating episode of any anime i've ever seen. And episode 12, the last episode? Let's bring up a completely random side story that gives no end to the "story".

Okay, now is the time for the SPOILERS.

By the second episode, the main female character, Senou, goes to school. The school is split into 2 sections for the boys and girls, so she/he joins the female side. Guess what happens? Every girl instantly turns lesbian for Senou. Not even joking. Now, this actually made me laugh when it first happened because it was completely ridiculous and amusing. For the rest of the damn anime it focuses on a couple of girls trying to get with Senou; the story is gone, now it is a harem. At some point later on, they kind of try to save the story by introducing the white kampfers. Now suddenly, Sakura summoned (?) the white kampfers? And she is a mediator? What is her goal? Why are the Kampfers here? What happens in the end? In some animes (for example: Paranoia Agent and Lain) it is okay when questions are unanswered. It is okay when the story is well developed and it makes you think and make connections between characters and events. Therefore, it is not okay at all in this anime. Back to the harem, I guess if you like harems and can forgive everything else, you might like this anime. Don't expect it to get sexual, though, this is not a hentai. The harem episodes, episode 2 - terrible ending, have lots of sexual teases, but nothing happens more than those teases.

All in all, this anime has:

• Harem
  • Ecchi

It doesn't have:

• A logical plot
  • Good characters
  • An ending
  • Humor
  • Action (there is some, but you can easily find better in many other animes)
  • Length (Thank god it stopped after only 12 episodes)
  • Overall Enjoyment

Yes, 1 + 1 + 7 + 7 / 4 does not equal 1.5, but characters and story are way more important than animation and sound.

To me, this creation is an unforgivable abomination. I can't recommend it to anyone but the most resilient harem addict.

1.5/10 overall
Avrgeboy123's avatar By Avrgeboy123 on Dec 21, 2009

Well, for the most part, I thought it was a good concept for a story with a couple interesting characters (Shizuku). The group that made the animation had the right idea but tried to cram the whole story into 12 episodes. I think the series needed to be at least 24 episodes long and obviously some more plot development, depth and more character back stories (they just started somewhere in a person's life and went from there).

Everything else I was pretty satisfied with: the sound was okay, but not enough music, animation was fine--no problems there and lastly, I don't like how they ended the series (kinda open for more development). I was hoping something could have happened between Natsuru and Shizuku-- oh well.

As far as characters go, my least favorites are Sakura and Natsuru. I never liked Sakura that much from the beginning for some reason and then I found out who she really is and hated her more. Natsuru is just the dumbest person out there and I wanted to punch him in the face because he had so many options for him and he just couldn't get past the Sakura wall.

That's about it. Thanks for reading!

MashMash's avatar By MashMash on Nov 11, 2012

I'm doing this review based on my memory now.

First of all. I solemnly swear I did not watch this just for bewbies.

But other than bewbies and chick fights, there's really not much to this.

The plot itself is confusing (if there's even a proper plot to begin with) and the characters to be honest were not well developed in depth.

There were also some really weird episodes such as the Xmas episode which appears to be more like an OVA than an episode following the main story line.

What confuses me the most is that the antagonist just suddenly disappears/stops attack in the last few episodes. Instead of saying "this sucks" after finishing the series it was more like "???"

Well it's all personal preference I guess and I believe all animes deserve to be fully watched even if you don't like them. (Just to give some credit for the producers eh?)

If you just want something to watch or if nose bleeding over anime girls (cute girls alert!) is your kind of entertainment then you might wanna give this a go.

I feel that rating anything below 5 would be a disgrace so I'll stick to a 6. This is not my cup of tea but it might be your's, who knows?

Quizap's avatar By Quizap on Aug 22, 2010

Super bad show but a hell of a lot better then Akikan. The genderbender kinda threw me off for a bit but after awhile I got used to it. The main reason I kept watching the show is because Shizuku was awesome. And then.. the end.. *cries,* she likes falls off the end of the earth….

whitelionV's avatar By whitelionV on Jan 15, 2012

So, I wanted a light and short anime to watch yesterday. For some reason I picked kampfer. ecchi school stories aren't my thing yet I did wanted to give one of those a chance.

Good lord, the story sucks, the characters are bad cliches, the animation is an average and the sound is unremarkable. BUT I COULDN'T STOP WATCHING!!!

The context is so absurd it's funny. Seems like every school girl in japan is either a lesbian or bisexual, whose parents left 'em to live alone; and they are fine inviting whoever to 'sleep over' and handing over their virginity at the faintest sign. All that while in a highschool where no one seems surprised to see gunshots in the walls or massive structural destruction every other day.

As every reviewer before me will tell you (yes I read em all, just to be sure I'm sane) when all those elements combines the result is unexpected. You get hooked. And I will tell you the reason: it's not the ecchi, it's not the 'action', it's not the plot (lol)... you just wanna know who the hell the moron-cliche-dense-trany main character is gonna choose. It's the same reason you watched all 7 seasons of Ranma even tho after the 4rth it stop making any sense: you just wanted Ranma to effing kiss Akane and be done with it! Well same goes here, you get a squadron of horny highschoolers rubbing their bodies against Senou (literally... individually, at the same time... on several ocations... and in every degree of... rubbiness), and he, as a good mentally challenged harem main character, seems completely confused about what these girls might want from him. Good thing its only 12 episodes long, cause I gotta tell you: if it were 24, I might have watched 'em all the same, dying a little from the inside while hidding in a closet nearby; as I did with the first 12.

So, would I recomend it? gee...I don't know.

Tell you what, go watch 12 episodes of Ranma and get rid of that unhealthy gender-bender curiosity you got, then go watch something else.