Kampfer

Funkgun's avatar By Funkgun on Jan 28, 2010

Not being a major reviewer of sorts, I just need to come here to somehow make sense of the wasted 4-5 hours of my life.

I am a big fan of gender-bender storys. When I saw this on a monthly marathon, hosted by Chii on Anime Planet, I was overjoyed and really looking forward to this title. It sounded like I, Me My, Starberry Eggs, meets My-Hime, and had potential.  I was just finishing a title that was the polar opposite called Aoi Bunkoi, so the change of pace sounded like Rocky Road bliss.

20 minutes into the first episode I realized I was more wrong than people who order a Snuggie. The first mistake? The creators decided to shoe horn about a dozen already well worn genre's into a 12 episode masterpiece of what is wrong with the industry.

To make this as easy as a Bandaid removal, I might as well get to the worst part of Kampfer, the story. Natsuru Senō is a teen boy who one day wakes up from a odd dream to find he is a girl. After the initial shock he is talked to by a stuffed animal that tells him he is a Kamfer.  This just puzzles him more but like any good fast paced, poorly written show, his worry wears off in five minutes.

Later, he finds out more about Kampfers. In the preset rules are the following;

1. All the girls change apearence, attitude, or both. 2. Once changed, they fight with super powers that are limited to one of the following; A fire wielder, a gun toting mama, or a sword fighter type. 3. There are two sides that are advisaries. If your wristband is red, you are going to be fighting with girls who wear blue 4. Transformation happens automatically when they are around each other, and at first you can not control it. 5. The only way you can have powers is being a girl, this is why he becomes a she.

Interestingly enough, these guidelines are heaved out the door for convenience.  There are other girls, white bands, mind control, a surprise boss out of left field ... and well I guess red and blue can fight together... and that automatic change does not always happen, and, ah screw it who needs rules?

Anyhow, he has a thing for a cute girl at school at first it is more or less one sided. Soon a second girl enters the romantic picture in the form of an old time friend, then a third who originally tried to kill him. If this does not sound like a well worn path enough, it gets better. Soon he has a harem of women which leads to the pool episode, the beauty pageant episode, the yuri action, and the girl jealousy sequences.   Oh cliche! I spit at thee.

What is most frustrating, is what could have been good premises; him having to hide his transformations, or him having to be a girl to get the girl of his dreams to like him (she seems to only have a thing for women) but never gets explored enough to be humorous. And in fact it always seemed like a broken clock, the timing was off for the laughs.

For the most part the animation is clean but stiff. The transformations, which are hardly used, are actually a treat.   But for the life of me, all the characters could have just been the same face and eye design with no differentiating characteristics at all. If it was not for the kindergarten crayon box of hair colors I would have a hard time identifying them. I will give the creators some credit for the absolutely disgusting stuffed animals.

Speaking about the Entrails Animals. These are what are called Messengers in the show. Designed to be disturbingly cute toys wearing their guts on the outside of thier body, they provided the only break of monotony.  Every time they are on screen they provide brief amuzment, with names such as Strangled Stray Dog, Disembowled Tiger, or my personal favorite the blood shot eyed Suicidal Black Rabbit.  Outside of this however, is the cast members borrowed from other anime such as Love Hina, Magikano, or Maburaho relabeled and stuck back in Kampfer.

Unmemorable... forgettable... what were we talking about?  Oh yeah, sound.   The opening and ending was bland crackers, which was a good thing cause after a couple episodes I could skip both. The voice acting was not bad and in fact the actors used for the animals were actually fun, with the only grating voice was the obvious girl voice for Natsuru. Why use the woman's voice for a teen boy is beyond me. Child, yes, teen, no.

Overall

Through the grace of God I somehow managed not to strangle myself with my mouse cord while finishing this series. When you decide to rumage through a pile of the most over used romantic comedy and super powered girls stories in the existance of man,  your probably not going to make something memorable, or lasting. In fact if this ends up even remembered well by the anime fan mob 5 years later I will be most surprised.

Sadly, the creators will probably get the simple ratings they were going for.  Which in it's own way makes me frown. =(

1.5/10 story
LimeCultivist's avatar By LimeCultivist on Jul 7, 2013

This anime... some words that immediatly come to mind are horrible, terrible, and completely insubstantial in every way. The first episode (kind of) promised a story. At the start, it seems like it has possible potential with a goofy, gender-bending story. No spoilers, but it only goes downhill from that first episode. The story is dropped, the characters have no development or likeability, there is absolutely nothing good here, I cannot stress that point any more. Well, the animation isn't terrible, but that's like playing a video game for its graphics; you're missing out on what makes it an enjoyable experience. Once again, no spoilers, but episode 11 was the most infuriating episode of any anime i've ever seen. And episode 12, the last episode? Let's bring up a completely random side story that gives no end to the "story".

Okay, now is the time for the SPOILERS.

By the second episode, the main female character, Senou, goes to school. The school is split into 2 sections for the boys and girls, so she/he joins the female side. Guess what happens? Every girl instantly turns lesbian for Senou. Not even joking. Now, this actually made me laugh when it first happened because it was completely ridiculous and amusing. For the rest of the damn anime it focuses on a couple of girls trying to get with Senou; the story is gone, now it is a harem. At some point later on, they kind of try to save the story by introducing the white kampfers. Now suddenly, Sakura summoned (?) the white kampfers? And she is a mediator? What is her goal? Why are the Kampfers here? What happens in the end? In some animes (for example: Paranoia Agent and Lain) it is okay when questions are unanswered. It is okay when the story is well developed and it makes you think and make connections between characters and events. Therefore, it is not okay at all in this anime. Back to the harem, I guess if you like harems and can forgive everything else, you might like this anime. Don't expect it to get sexual, though, this is not a hentai. The harem episodes, episode 2 - terrible ending, have lots of sexual teases, but nothing happens more than those teases.

All in all, this anime has:

• Harem
  • Ecchi

It doesn't have:

• A logical plot
  • Good characters
  • An ending
  • Humor
  • Action (there is some, but you can easily find better in many other animes)
  • Length (Thank god it stopped after only 12 episodes)
  • Overall Enjoyment

Yes, 1 + 1 + 7 + 7 / 4 does not equal 1.5, but characters and story are way more important than animation and sound.

To me, this creation is an unforgivable abomination. I can't recommend it to anyone but the most resilient harem addict.

1.5/10 overall
Avrgeboy123's avatar By Avrgeboy123 on Dec 21, 2009

Well, for the most part, I thought it was a good concept for a story with a couple interesting characters (Shizuku). The group that made the animation had the right idea but tried to cram the whole story into 12 episodes. I think the series needed to be at least 24 episodes long and obviously some more plot development, depth and more character back stories (they just started somewhere in a person's life and went from there).

Everything else I was pretty satisfied with: the sound was okay, but not enough music, animation was fine--no problems there and lastly, I don't like how they ended the series (kinda open for more development). I was hoping something could have happened between Natsuru and Shizuku-- oh well.

As far as characters go, my least favorites are Sakura and Natsuru. I never liked Sakura that much from the beginning for some reason and then I found out who she really is and hated her more. Natsuru is just the dumbest person out there and I wanted to punch him in the face because he had so many options for him and he just couldn't get past the Sakura wall.

That's about it. Thanks for reading!

MashMash's avatar By MashMash on Nov 11, 2012

I'm doing this review based on my memory now.

First of all. I solemnly swear I did not watch this just for bewbies.

But other than bewbies and chick fights, there's really not much to this.

The plot itself is confusing (if there's even a proper plot to begin with) and the characters to be honest were not well developed in depth.

There were also some really weird episodes such as the Xmas episode which appears to be more like an OVA than an episode following the main story line.

What confuses me the most is that the antagonist just suddenly disappears/stops attack in the last few episodes. Instead of saying "this sucks" after finishing the series it was more like "???"

Well it's all personal preference I guess and I believe all animes deserve to be fully watched even if you don't like them. (Just to give some credit for the producers eh?)

If you just want something to watch or if nose bleeding over anime girls (cute girls alert!) is your kind of entertainment then you might wanna give this a go.

I feel that rating anything below 5 would be a disgrace so I'll stick to a 6. This is not my cup of tea but it might be your's, who knows?

whitelionV's avatar By whitelionV on Jan 15, 2012

So, I wanted a light and short anime to watch yesterday. For some reason I picked kampfer. ecchi school stories aren't my thing yet I did wanted to give one of those a chance.

Good lord, the story sucks, the characters are bad cliches, the animation is an average and the sound is unremarkable. BUT I COULDN'T STOP WATCHING!!!

The context is so absurd it's funny. Seems like every school girl in japan is either a lesbian or bisexual, whose parents left 'em to live alone; and they are fine inviting whoever to 'sleep over' and handing over their virginity at the faintest sign. All that while in a highschool where no one seems surprised to see gunshots in the walls or massive structural destruction every other day.

As every reviewer before me will tell you (yes I read em all, just to be sure I'm sane) when all those elements combines the result is unexpected. You get hooked. And I will tell you the reason: it's not the ecchi, it's not the 'action', it's not the plot (lol)... you just wanna know who the hell the moron-cliche-dense-trany main character is gonna choose. It's the same reason you watched all 7 seasons of Ranma even tho after the 4rth it stop making any sense: you just wanted Ranma to effing kiss Akane and be done with it! Well same goes here, you get a squadron of horny highschoolers rubbing their bodies against Senou (literally... individually, at the same time... on several ocations... and in every degree of... rubbiness), and he, as a good mentally challenged harem main character, seems completely confused about what these girls might want from him. Good thing its only 12 episodes long, cause I gotta tell you: if it were 24, I might have watched 'em all the same, dying a little from the inside while hidding in a closet nearby; as I did with the first 12.

So, would I recomend it? gee...I don't know.

Tell you what, go watch 12 episodes of Ranma and get rid of that unhealthy gender-bender curiosity you got, then go watch something else.