Kamigami no Asobi

Alt title: Kamigami no Asobi: Ludere deorum

Add review
lunarvixen26's avatar
Jun 23, 2014

The story is not unlike other reverse harems.  A young, pretty girl suddenly finds herself surrounded by a group of diverse, but connected, beautiful men.  This anime focuses on six gods that have been forced to come to Zeus’s academy in order to learn how to be more understanding of the human heart. To help them with their task is Yui Kasanagi, a high school student that is in possession of a magical sword that pulled her into this magical world. Zeus has put a magical blocker on the gods to make sure they cannot leave the academy and it will only be removed once the gods learn their lesson.

While there is nothing particularly new or invigorating about this story, it did keep me mildly entertained. The gods each have an episode focused on their personal growth with Yui. All share affection for her ranging from true friendship to deep love. The story does give a bit more plot around episode 8 and eventually comes to a climax rather melodramatically. Again, it is nothing to rave about, but if you are looking for a bishounen, reverse harem then look no further.

Animation:

The animation is quite good. The action sequences are done well and the characters are draw to perfection. The landscapes are drawn well too. In this category, I think the studio did an excellent job.

Sound:

The opening soundtrack fits the general tone of the anime, upbeat and not too in-depth.  The action sequences are a bit dull and predictable, but it’s nothing to be deterred by.

As a reverse harem with twelve episodes I wasn’t expecting the characters to be developed much, if at all.  My prediction was right. All the gods and the few random gods that join them were all developed vaguely, each getting about one episode apiece to tell their specific background. All the characters are likeable in their own way. Appollon, the son of Zeus, is the character that is developed the most, followed by Loki and then Balder. Yui is an eternal optimist but doesn’t really develop at all during her time with the gods at the academy.

Overall:

I picked up this series as a lazy day anime, nothing to be impressed by, only to provide mild entertainment. What I got was just that- mild entertainment. If you are looking for an anime to cheer you up a bit and you enjoy looking at handsome men this will suit your fancy. Other than that, this anime will be a sore disappointment.

olamideex's avatar
Jul 24, 2016

PERFECT ANIME FOR ANY GIRL WHO LOVES REVERSE HAREM. YOU WILL LAUGH AND CRY. BUT I SHAL;L WARN YOU, THE ENDING IS NOT LIKE ALL HAPPY ENDINGS, YOU WILL CRY AND PRAY TO THE LORD ALMIGHTY THAT THERE WILL BE A SEASON TWO, I HAVE JUST FINISHED WATCHING IT AND IM CRYING STILL, RIVERS AND RIVERS OF TEARS

whensarahsmiles's avatar
Jan 27, 2016

Kamigami no Asobi (Mischief of the Gods) is a reverse-harem anime that came as a breath of fresh air. More often than not, this genre of anime uses a set of character profiles like the smart one, the goof ball, the quiet one and so on. Although KnA does have some of these characters, the diversity of their other personality trates make them unique and likeable characters, or unlikeable in the case of a couple.

As the boys from this anime are all based on real-world gods, what I enjoyed most about this anime was the use of the gods' real-world backstories to build storylines and characters, friendships and abilities.

KnA does not mind being diverse compared to other Otome or reverse-harem animes and you find yourself far more wrapped up in the storyline than just hoping the main character gets paired up with your favourite pretty boy!

I can definitely recommend.

echogangsta's avatar
Feb 24, 2016

Great relaxing anime when you have some time to kill. The characters are funny and engaging, with a defined plot that is not overly complicated or dark. The writing for this one is a tad predictable, but that isn't always a bad thing and they did manage to avoid at least some of the typical tropes of the genre (main protagonist is a female that is both nurturing AND has a brain, the males don't immediately all start tripping over themselves for her... etc) so overall not bad and worth a watch.

tollie01's avatar
Nov 24, 2015

Allright. It's been a while since I've done something like this so bear with me as I try to find my way again.I did quite a lot of them in the past on a different website which you can find here: http://legendsofsatura.net/index.php/forum125/6-reviewing-guild.html

....They probably aren't very good though but please do stop by if you have the time and inclination. Originally the site was for writers, mostly original but also fanfiction.

Also I'm Dutch so there will be spelling errors. If you find them annoying give me a shout and I'll try to fix them.

Oh, I will try to keep spoilers to a minimum but there will be some. Usually the worse I rate an anime the more spoilers this will contain. You have been warned

So, you have probably already read what the animation is about in the discription given by Anime-Planet, which is the same as on the box. I will therefore try not go into the story that much unless I'm ranting about something (spoilers).

ART: Well, I liked the world that was created for the anime but that was about it. Characters are easily identifiable so there is that.

SOUND: No real complaints about the music or sound effects either. It gets the job done and you forget about all of it right after you stop watching.

Voice acting is fine but none of them got much do do here. All of the characters are the standard tropes that you see in anime such as these.

CHARACTERS: Main character is Yui, who is the only human and the only female in the anime. Her job is teaching the Gods that they should care for the human world once again.

The Gods trapped in Zues' school are: Apollo (Greec God of the Sun), Hades (Greec God of the Underworld), Tsukito (Japanese God of the Moon), Takeru (Japanese Gof of the Sea), Balder (Norse God of Light), Loki (Norse God of Fire), Thor (Norse God of Thunder), Dionysus (Greec God of Wine and Parties).

The one who brought them there is Zues (Supreme Norse God) and one of their teachers is Thoth (Egyptian God of Knowledge).

STORY: The story in anime such as these is mainly irrelivant as it is meerly a vehicle to introduce the main character to as many love interests as possible. What sets it apart from many others is that the pretty boys surrounding our main character are Gods. This is the only gimmick going for the anime and I didn't like it much.

It had many Gods from many different pantheons and NONE of the Gods were female. Neither the Gods in the school nor the one teaching and there were choices a plenty to add a few. Athena could have easily taken the role of Thoth while Venus could have added something on the romantic side.

Also some of the Gods are not friends of each other. Loki and Thor being a big example of that. In Norse Mythology Loki is a trickster God who is instrumental in causing Ragnarock, the end of the world, while Thor is one of the Gods fighting it. Nothing of this comes back in the anime.

I must state that I am most definitely not the target audience for anime such as these and as such I may judge it much harsher than I usually would.