Kamigami no Asobi

Alt title: Kamigami no Asobi: Ludere deorum

Add review
lunarvixen26's avatar
Jun 23, 2014

The story is not unlike other reverse harems.  A young, pretty girl suddenly finds herself surrounded by a group of diverse, but connected, beautiful men.  This anime focuses on six gods that have been forced to come to Zeus’s academy in order to learn how to be more understanding of the human heart. To help them with their task is Yui Kasanagi, a high school student that is in possession of a magical sword that pulled her into this magical world. Zeus has put a magical blocker on the gods to make sure they cannot leave the academy and it will only be removed once the gods learn their lesson.

While there is nothing particularly new or invigorating about this story, it did keep me mildly entertained. The gods each have an episode focused on their personal growth with Yui. All share affection for her ranging from true friendship to deep love. The story does give a bit more plot around episode 8 and eventually comes to a climax rather melodramatically. Again, it is nothing to rave about, but if you are looking for a bishounen, reverse harem then look no further.

Animation:

The animation is quite good. The action sequences are done well and the characters are draw to perfection. The landscapes are drawn well too. In this category, I think the studio did an excellent job.

Sound:

The opening soundtrack fits the general tone of the anime, upbeat and not too in-depth.  The action sequences are a bit dull and predictable, but it’s nothing to be deterred by.

As a reverse harem with twelve episodes I wasn’t expecting the characters to be developed much, if at all.  My prediction was right. All the gods and the few random gods that join them were all developed vaguely, each getting about one episode apiece to tell their specific background. All the characters are likeable in their own way. Appollon, the son of Zeus, is the character that is developed the most, followed by Loki and then Balder. Yui is an eternal optimist but doesn’t really develop at all during her time with the gods at the academy.

Overall:

I picked up this series as a lazy day anime, nothing to be impressed by, only to provide mild entertainment. What I got was just that- mild entertainment. If you are looking for an anime to cheer you up a bit and you enjoy looking at handsome men this will suit your fancy. Other than that, this anime will be a sore disappointment.

olamideex's avatar
Jul 24, 2016

PERFECT ANIME FOR ANY GIRL WHO LOVES REVERSE HAREM. YOU WILL LAUGH AND CRY. BUT I SHAL;L WARN YOU, THE ENDING IS NOT LIKE ALL HAPPY ENDINGS, YOU WILL CRY AND PRAY TO THE LORD ALMIGHTY THAT THERE WILL BE A SEASON TWO, I HAVE JUST FINISHED WATCHING IT AND IM CRYING STILL, RIVERS AND RIVERS OF TEARS

echogangsta's avatar
Feb 24, 2016

Great relaxing anime when you have some time to kill. The characters are funny and engaging, with a defined plot that is not overly complicated or dark. The writing for this one is a tad predictable, but that isn't always a bad thing and they did manage to avoid at least some of the typical tropes of the genre (main protagonist is a female that is both nurturing AND has a brain, the males don't immediately all start tripping over themselves for her... etc) so overall not bad and worth a watch.

whensarahsmiles's avatar
Jan 27, 2016

Kamigami no Asobi (Mischief of the Gods) is a reverse-harem anime that came as a breath of fresh air. More often than not, this genre of anime uses a set of character profiles like the smart one, the goof ball, the quiet one and so on. Although KnA does have some of these characters, the diversity of their other personality trates make them unique and likeable characters, or unlikeable in the case of a couple.

As the boys from this anime are all based on real-world gods, what I enjoyed most about this anime was the use of the gods' real-world backstories to build storylines and characters, friendships and abilities.

KnA does not mind being diverse compared to other Otome or reverse-harem animes and you find yourself far more wrapped up in the storyline than just hoping the main character gets paired up with your favourite pretty boy!

I can definitely recommend.

lacrymosai's avatar
Jan 20, 2017

Jesus, those japanese prducers really gonna make romance anime with every possible being there is? As it isn't enough that we get to see it many romance novels that have been released on the market. I have read reviews about vn-s where you get to romance guys with cat ears, real historical people, angels and demons, vampires and what else. It is cringey enough that even gods will be romanceble in a few vn-els. This anime is based on a visual novel from studio Broccoli, alredy known for their Uta-pri games, in which you romance guys in a music academy for aspiring idols and composers.

I mean, seriously, an academy for gods!? And the heroine for some reason is the representative for the human race? Really Zeus?, you're gonna decide if it's best to purge an entire race based on the success of a high-school girl, who obviously dosen't now shit about how to put an entire race into good fate.

The gods, who are over thousand years old, behave like teenage brats, and all of them are really silly. I mean, Apollo is the nice guy who treats the heroine like a princess, but he's an idiot. Watch the anime and you'll see why. Loki is a trickster, alright, I get it, you like causing trouble. The japanese gods, the purple one is a quiet doofus and the musclehead still can't get over the social pressure that the others have put him in his youth. Thoth(wtf?- the god with and ugly bird as his head) is some angry librarian who on the most faint noise slams his fist into the desk and leaves. He also always slams walls with his fist when speaking with the heroine(It's almost like kabedon). How he protected the heroine with his fist slamming in the last episode was actually kinda funny. Baldyr the popular guy who is sick of his followers almost started an apocalypse.

When I saw the beggining of the first episode, I though it was joke. A parody like cute earth defenders, but no, it was not. We see Apollo transforming into his god robes? During the transformation he's unclotted (except the middle part where it's overshadowed with some kind of wind). I didn't except this scene and I looked away during it. When the scene started, I was specheless for a moment before i averted my gaze. I mean, dude, i'ts disgusting enough seeing animated guys almost naked, like some action figures. He just stood there, still almost for half a minute with a stiff face looking into the camera during the transformation. I wondered if he had digestion problems before he went into battling Baldyr.

The story made no sense, each episdose was barely entertainable, except the 10th episode, where they had to organize a play, which Loki screwed up. He knocked Apollo on the floor and took the Heroine as hostage. Then, in the next scene, we see Apollo laying down on the floor with ketchup seeping from a bucket and serving as blood coming from Apollo's head wound. Other gods were just startled and one even fell from the sky and the other from his ljestve. I laughed a bit. Anyway, it was all unnecessary.

The ending got stuck in my head for some time for 2 reasons:
- 1. - A group of half-naked gods fighting each other(Loki is memorable beacuse of his skin-tight outfit like some stripper)
- 2. - the aftermaft when the girl is finally send home and she meets all the gods on her family shrine ( the gods themselves have become with a meek girl in a few months?? Boy, the earth was full of them for ages, what made them change their mind now??)

As if Zeus wasn't bad enough, toying with the human lives and excepting for a girl to change his mind, what has he been doing for all these years? How hasn't he learned how diverse the humanity is?? And why destroy them now if he was so fed up with them?

In the end, my conclusion is this - as reverse harems can't get bad as they have now, watch this only for pure entertainment, if you got nothing better to do and just wanna kill some time.