Kaichou wa Maid-sama!

Cataluna's avatar By Cataluna on Jun 21, 2012

This iz 1 of my favourite animes evar! i want 2 c a second series. theres so much that they missed from the manga so they HAV 2 make a new one

ohredjay's avatar By ohredjay on Apr 2, 2013

Honestly, this is one of my favorite anime of all time, and it features one of my favorite characters, Usui.

With that being said, I will attempt to give an extremely helpful and encouraging review (and by "encouraging", I mean, "you must watch this ASAP").

One of the best parts of this anime is the humor. It's witty and really well-thought-out, if at times being slightly inappropriate. Every single episode had me cluthing my stomach, and often times, laughing until I cried.

The storyline of this show is, in my opinion, irrelevant. There are reoccuring themes and characters, but it is mostly episodic and focuses on the character development. The lack of a really in-depth storyline did not bother me, however. This is a shoujo, slice-of-life, romantic, in-school comedy anime, and I just don't feel like a storyline is necessary. The show is still infinitely better than other anime that aim to have a really wonderful storyline.

Mentioned previously is the character development. It's realistic without being boring. The lead female, Misaki, is stubborn, extreme, and a bit prejudice towards males (but who can blame her considering her daddy issues and the behavior of some of the males in her school). But as the show progresses, you start to see her grow as a person because of the catalyst that is Usui. He's loyal and goes out of his way to humor Misaki (because she can be a little competitve).

Lastly, I feel obligated to mention that part of the humor that is a part of this show is all in the drawing of the anime. You'll see what I mean with the three former-gang-members-turned-ultimate-Misaki-fans.

If I haven't convinced you to watch this show, then I have failed. This is one of the few anime I re-watch often. I can be extremely picky with anime, especially in the realm of shoujo, but this show has met all my standards and has gone above and beyond what I had expected before actually seeing an episode.

WATCH THE SHOW. YOU WON'T REGRET IT.

lintphishx's avatar By lintphishx on Jun 7, 2010

The title, Kaichou wa Maid-sama, tells you exactly what this story is about. The Student Counsel President is a Maid, translated. Misaki Ayuzawa is the female student counsel president of an almost all male high school. To support her family that has come into hard times she is secretly a maid at a maid/cosplay cafe. This fact puts her in a pinch as it could very well change the other students' views of her, loosing their respect and her strict, hard-ass persona. What makes matters worse for her is that the top male student, Takumi Usui, finds out this little secret and uses it to torment her. But you know what that means, when a guy picks on you... right?

Everything about the flow of story is like a standard romance Shoujo tale for the most part. You have a very realistic situation which can help you clean your palette of the usual magic girls, mecha, ecchi-comedy. Having said that it is quite clean and has minimal sexual situations, the lack of which can be refreshing but if you are in it for ecchi you'll be fairly disappointed. However the Moe (as hard as it is for me to use the term) is quite high what with the cosplay cafe aspect. The girls at the cafe are always changing it up a bit for an excuse to give a variety of service to their customers and the viewer gets it second hand. The story progresses well. You don't feel the pressure of waiting a week to see what happens next (the DBZ effect) but you also won't forget about it by any means. The worst I can say about it is that it's a bit generic. The plot lacks a lot of twists and you will be able to expect the same thing for the most part. The little jokes and romantic developments are what keep it cute and fairly interesting.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama is very colorful. It's fun to look at and you won't notice the non-animation parts much if you are watching somewhat passively. The characters keep proper proportions but there is a fair amount of chibi and girl-hits-guy-into-orbit action, represented by simple cutouts and lazy backgrounds. There's a lot of girly, flowery emotion particles and fun stuff like that. This tends to get on my nerves a little as it reminds me of a young girl's doodles but it fits the genre just fine. The art is fair and won't leave you going nuts generally but it won't disappoint you unless you are very picky.

The voices are good and match the characters. I don't have a firm enough grasp on the Japanese language yet to truly appreciate Japanese VA, but I can certainly appreciate the amount of effort I hear and it sounds great. The music you'll hear is standard for anime these days. There is a band in the 10th episode but the artist that does their music escapes me. There maybe more variety on that but it's not a music anime so I doubt you'll see a lot of artists showcasing here. Standard catchy J-pop OP and ED.

The characters are very cute. Lots of cute girls and one cute boy (no spoiler). The other guys are drawn with the handsome sharp eye look most of the time. Often sporting the generic Shoujo hot boy pose, slightly cocky profiles with eyes closed and the smarmy smirk. All of the characters have different personalities making it easy to want to get to know them. There are some characters that follow each others generic flow but the main characters and the other girls at the maid cafe are pretty unique and enjoyable to watch. The romance is pretty good between them. It portrays the frustration and warm feelings or attitudes that should accompany this type of story. You'll probably like the characters more than any other aspect by the end.

This is a satisfying anime to me. I can't say much more than certain generic issues are bad points. I can't expect too much more than a fun romantic romp. I genre bend fairly often so I feel I have a fair grasp of Shoujo, for a male. It's cute and funny with a really fun and warm romantic feel to it. I think anyone can enjoy it due to it's inclusion of many social types and it's not overly sappy or silly. I would also suggest you follow the recommendations laid out for this anime. They seem to be pretty spot on as I have also watched most of them and enjoyed them much the same way.

RoBorg's avatar By RoBorg on Jan 4, 2011

Well, I really enjoyed this one

Story: 8.5/10
At first, when I've seen the title I said "Oh... This should be once again an ecchi anime with busty girls and pheromoned guys"
Lucky me, I was wrong. Well, mostly wrong. While the story is about a maid, there is absolutely no fanservice. And the best thing of it is that while watching this anime, you do not regret it at all. The story may be somehow simple, but it is handled really well. As a viewer, there is no feeling of something missing, just like there is not too much. It's a hard-to-find balance, and here it is achieved.
There is also attention to some minor thing, that are just neglected in many anime I've seen so far.
The fact that it's offered a breeze on the past of the secondary characters as well surely does not hurt.
It's not a 10 only because I reserve the last two points to stories that are something really special, above the excellent.

Animation: 8/10
Well made, not static, not monotonous. Maybe it's just me but it feels somehow above the standard animation quality for anime focused on these themes.
The funny animations every now and then help to create a good amalgam and fit well with the rest.
Can't say it's perfect though, as there weren't any really difficult scenes to create. Still they achieved everything that they actually needed in the making of the animation.

Sound: 6/10
The voices are well made, quite a number of characters, and quite a number of voices. Something that could have been better are the song played within the episodes by the UxMishi, the rock-band in the anime (I'm not speaking about opening and ending). I usually appreciate these songs, but this time they seems like rashly created in a hurry... And this chops away a couple of points from the evaluation...

Characters: 9/10
While the story focuses around two characters, all other side-characters are surely not neglected. Everyone of them has it's own little show-time, could it be 10 minutes, could it be two whole episodes, but anyway every one of these spin-offs is perfectly related to the main story, that sees a development between the two mains even while the side are on the stage.
Good variety of behaviors, especially between male characters, and for once, the main guy is an almighty intelligent and strong, still sensible boy, and not the dumb one that has become quite the standard in many other anime.
Small spoiler coming: a minor thing I regret is that while a few rivals for Usui show up, there are no rivals of weight for Ayuzawa...

Overall: 9/10
A really good work, I cannot say that there is that much originality, but hey... when everything has already been created... Then it's time to take old things and make them better. In each aspect here there is not too much, not too few (just a note on the songs, as stated before). It really caught me, as it just took me two days to watch all the 26 episodes.
Really appreciated!

8.5/10 story
9.5/10 characters
mimichandesu's avatar By mimichandesu on Jul 22, 2014

This is like the top shojou anime EVER! in my op ;)

The story is interesting , with real life situations made enjoyable - and

I really wish they could have made a season two:(