Kaichou wa Maid-sama!

animelover571's avatar By animelover571 on Mar 30, 2011

Overall, the anime was quite appealing. The anime was ranked lower than

I intended it to be at first because the story wasn't much interesting, and leaves

many questions unanswered. However, the animation and sound were quite

developed, and caught my attention. If you like animes with random themes but

good art and music, I would recommend this anime for you.

lintphishx's avatar By lintphishx on Jun 7, 2010

The title, Kaichou wa Maid-sama, tells you exactly what this story is about. The Student Counsel President is a Maid, translated. Misaki Ayuzawa is the female student counsel president of an almost all male high school. To support her family that has come into hard times she is secretly a maid at a maid/cosplay cafe. This fact puts her in a pinch as it could very well change the other students' views of her, loosing their respect and her strict, hard-ass persona. What makes matters worse for her is that the top male student, Takumi Usui, finds out this little secret and uses it to torment her. But you know what that means, when a guy picks on you... right?

Everything about the flow of story is like a standard romance Shoujo tale for the most part. You have a very realistic situation which can help you clean your palette of the usual magic girls, mecha, ecchi-comedy. Having said that it is quite clean and has minimal sexual situations, the lack of which can be refreshing but if you are in it for ecchi you'll be fairly disappointed. However the Moe (as hard as it is for me to use the term) is quite high what with the cosplay cafe aspect. The girls at the cafe are always changing it up a bit for an excuse to give a variety of service to their customers and the viewer gets it second hand. The story progresses well. You don't feel the pressure of waiting a week to see what happens next (the DBZ effect) but you also won't forget about it by any means. The worst I can say about it is that it's a bit generic. The plot lacks a lot of twists and you will be able to expect the same thing for the most part. The little jokes and romantic developments are what keep it cute and fairly interesting.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama is very colorful. It's fun to look at and you won't notice the non-animation parts much if you are watching somewhat passively. The characters keep proper proportions but there is a fair amount of chibi and girl-hits-guy-into-orbit action, represented by simple cutouts and lazy backgrounds. There's a lot of girly, flowery emotion particles and fun stuff like that. This tends to get on my nerves a little as it reminds me of a young girl's doodles but it fits the genre just fine. The art is fair and won't leave you going nuts generally but it won't disappoint you unless you are very picky.

The voices are good and match the characters. I don't have a firm enough grasp on the Japanese language yet to truly appreciate Japanese VA, but I can certainly appreciate the amount of effort I hear and it sounds great. The music you'll hear is standard for anime these days. There is a band in the 10th episode but the artist that does their music escapes me. There maybe more variety on that but it's not a music anime so I doubt you'll see a lot of artists showcasing here. Standard catchy J-pop OP and ED.

The characters are very cute. Lots of cute girls and one cute boy (no spoiler). The other guys are drawn with the handsome sharp eye look most of the time. Often sporting the generic Shoujo hot boy pose, slightly cocky profiles with eyes closed and the smarmy smirk. All of the characters have different personalities making it easy to want to get to know them. There are some characters that follow each others generic flow but the main characters and the other girls at the maid cafe are pretty unique and enjoyable to watch. The romance is pretty good between them. It portrays the frustration and warm feelings or attitudes that should accompany this type of story. You'll probably like the characters more than any other aspect by the end.

This is a satisfying anime to me. I can't say much more than certain generic issues are bad points. I can't expect too much more than a fun romantic romp. I genre bend fairly often so I feel I have a fair grasp of Shoujo, for a male. It's cute and funny with a really fun and warm romantic feel to it. I think anyone can enjoy it due to it's inclusion of many social types and it's not overly sappy or silly. I would also suggest you follow the recommendations laid out for this anime. They seem to be pretty spot on as I have also watched most of them and enjoyed them much the same way.

B1rk1n635's avatar By B1rk1n635 on May 11, 2011

Story: 9.5/10
Following the story of Usui and Misaki through their story as they
attend Seika High and come across various situations proves to be a
fun and entertaining watch from start to finish. with various
romance and comedy moments i don't think i was ever bored with
the series even going from episode to episode.

Animation: 9/10
The characters animation is great and even with the backgrounds
hand drawn style they look good as well. there are many times
where there are crows of people and alot of them aren't detailed
which is typical so its not really much of an issue. i personally love the
animation with the sleek character design and hand styled
backgrounds.

Sound: 9/10
good opening and ending, nice voice acting, not much can really be
said about sound for this type of anime as there isn't action going on
to judge sound effects. most of the time you don't even really notice
the background music but it does have some nice tracks used to fit
various atmospheres, some get used multiple times throughout the
series but that's not really a bad thing.

Characters: 10/10
Maid sama surrounds 2 great main characters and many various
secondary and minor characters that each have a style and feel of
their own.

Overall: 10/10
This series is definitly a feel good anime, most romances focus
around one guy or one girl leaving it with a certain gender fanbase
but this anime has a feel that either gender can really enjoy it. For
me it was a truly enjoyable watch both times i watched it through.

9.5/10 story
xZaKKox's avatar By xZaKKox on Sep 29, 2012

While making this review, I was trying to keep it as short as possible, keep this in mind. I personally prefer short reviews, with as few spoilers as possible. If you have any questions, please go ahead and ask or Google your question.

Romance/Comedy

Synopsis
Seika High School, once an all-boys school notorious for its wild students and for generally being a terrifying place for girls, has recently become a co-ed school. With the female population still a minority and living in fear of the over-the-top antics of the males, Misaki Ayuzawa takes it into her own hands to reform the school and allow the girls to feel safe in the rough environment.

Training, studying and even becoming the first female student council president of the school, Misaki has gained a reputation among the male students body as an uptight boy-hating dictator and as a shining hope for the teachers and fellow female students. However, despite her tough-as-nails appearance, she secretly works part-time at a maid cafe in order to support her family. Unfortunately, her hard-earned reputation is threatened when the popular, attractive, and somewhat impassive Usui Takumi takes an interest in her after discovering her in a maid uniform after school.

Review
This anime is (in my opinion) the best non-serious romance/comedy anime. It does not focus on anything particular story-wise (that is why there is no story rating), but there's a guaranteed laugh in every episode and you will be entertained all the way through.

The anime follows Ayuzawa Misaki (the brunette girl) and Takumi Usui (the blond boy) with the main areas being their school and Misaki's workplace, a maid café.
For more detailed info, check the anime description or Wikipedia, but watch out for spoilers.

If you like to laugh and have a good time with some serious moments which always ends with comedy, this anime is The Choice. If you're looking for an anime which is going solely for serious romance, this anime is not for you, but I recommend it regardless.

Conclusion
Rating purely on the fact it's romance/comedy and the amount of entertainment it brings you, it is a definite 10/10.

unicornsarethugs's avatar By unicornsarethugs on Sep 7, 2014