K-On!!

Rbastid's avatar By Rbastid on Jan 18, 2015

With the girls in their final year of high school thoughts are the band may finally be coming to an end, so the best way to give Afternoon Tea Time a proper sendoff is to…..not have many band activities of any sort, yeah we should have figured as much.

Story - 5/10

While still much more of a typical high school drama, and not the music program we were promised, the series benefited greatly from dedicating a season to one school year, as opposed to the previous season's rush job.

The stories still weren't brilliantly original or cleverly written, but they were entertaining. Again very few of the episodes revolved around the band actually playing music, with ones dedicated to field trips, cleaning up the music room (three times if you include the bonus episode and them cleaning Tonchon's tank) and a school marathon. The one item they spent the most time on was the fact this was the girls last year, with episodes on Finals, getting ready for finals, deciding school, picture day and graduation, all things that you'd expect in a school year, but again without any connection to music.

Come to think of it the whole series is actually about NOT playing music, so much so that I think that became the underlying joke of the writers in season two after the fiasco that was season one. I think if I knew from the start it was just a comedy school anime, which I tend to enjoy, I would have given season two much higher marks (season one stunk regardless) but I expected music and instead got hours of girls drinking tea and eating cake.

Animation - 8/10

This time around they had pretty consistent animation. The series was always good, but there were so many points of bad drawing and laziness that it overshadowed the rest in such a short season. They did away with the multiple styles, the almost freeze frame scenes and the overload of funny faces and it brought the focus back to the good parts.

They also scored some points with the great opening and closing credits. They were good in the first season, but went to the next level this time around. They really created some good music videos that connected to the sounds and themes of the songs.

Sound - 7/10

Since the voices and background music stayed identical to the first season there isn't much to say about them. The two opening and two closing songs did get better though.

The opening songs had great music but terrible vocals, while I assume the singer has an already high pitched voice, they sped the vocals up to an annoying chipmunks level. The two closing tunes were excellent all around, a big step up from the first season and more in line of what you'd expect this band to do if they were a serious group. The first closing song, Listen, sound a bit like a J-Pop version of some British invasion bands, much more like what I hoped the series music would have been. The second ending song, No Thank You, is by far the best piece of music in the series and a stand out from any anime series. With the background music you'd expect them to sing about dragons and epic battles, as its pure Prog metal (well of course with a J-Pop twist) but they worked it in nicely as a song these girls would write if they took some inspiration from Ms. Yamanka.

Characters - 6/10

The characters, much like the music, became much more likable this time around, well for the most part.

They stepped back from the constant reusing of jokes and actually tried to build the actual characters of the girls. Ritsu calmed down a bit and they did more to work Azusa into the show as more than just the girl who walks in and complains about everything. Tsumugi and Mio we also allowed to open up in the extended school year and become more than just the labels they stuck them with in season one.

The longer season and the shorter time period it covered also allowed the show to focus on a few other girls, notably Ui and Jun, two students in Azusa's class. We knew Ui as Yui sister, but now she became a character you could see being a strong part of a third season, if they decided to do so.

The addition of some minor characters was also nice, the girls in Mio's fan club, Ritsu's shy little brother and a few others made the show blossom over season one.

The only real downside when it came to characters was our main character (even though being the band leader Mio should have been the star.) In season one they wrote Yui as just a slightly lazy imbecile, which was ok as she was a 14 year old, but this season they went a bit over the top. Sure she's a sweet nice girl, but they made her traits so prominent it made you have second thoughts about finishing the show. There are quirks and then there are traits that would make you lose friends, laziness, selfishness and being spoiled, Yui has all of them in spades, which are terrible qualities for someone who is essentially an adult.

Overall - 8/10

It's quite amazing how one series can make such a big leap from season to season. Usually it seems to go backwards, where a series just drones on after having hit it's highpoint, until the producers finally kill it, where in they speed through an ending over a single episode and leave you unfulfilled. This time around things were reversed, with the first season being a a rush job that left you wishing for it to end,  and the second season being very entertaining and leaving you wishing for the series to go on by either following the girls to college or sticking around to see how Azusa fared in her final year.

I guess I'll just have to look forward to watching the movie, which at least looks like there's a sliver of a chance of being about music.

BigDumbOhFace's avatar By BigDumbOhFace on Oct 4, 2014

I haven't watched any other music school life anime so this is all new to me.  The story is really basic:  a bunch of high schoolers enjoying their time by relaxing and having some fun with music.  The music aspect does play a lesser part than the previous season though.  However, this season is paced a lot better as the previous one felt rushed to me.  It became more of a school life anime rather than a music anime.

Loved it all.  Really like the character designs.  It's textbook moe.  Normally I haven't really shown any preference but this worked for me.  Plus Yui and Ritsu had nice thick thighs.  Me likey!  Colors are nice as the dark colors work well with the bright.  The underappreciated part is the attention to detail in small intricate movements.  It's always a nice touch you won't notice the first time around but looking back, you always remember how much attention was brought upon that.

One weird thing is that Mio sounded like a young boy but I got over it.  I love all their voices equally.  They all go well with their personality.  Ritsu's voice loud and cheerful.  Mio's voice is quiet, soft, and soothing.  Yui's voice is airy and full of uncertainty.  Mugi's is also soft like Mio's, gets energetic Ritsu's, and dreamy like Yui's.  Azusa's is stern yet so adorable.  This is a music anime so I expect the music to be great.  Opening was kinda annoying because it's like a song on fast forward.  The songs they played were really likeable and very addicting.  Their singing voices are heaven to me!

Something about each character made me love each and every one of them.  Yui is technically the main character but everyone else feels just as special.  Like I said before, there's unlimited charm with each and every character.  Each have shown their strong side and vulnerable side very well without being too much.

Overall

The one word that comes to mind about this show is "charming".  There's this impalpable quality that made me just love this show.  Maybe it's the characters, the art style, or some hidden voodoo magic.  All I know is that I just love it!  I knew I loved it when I had a giant ball of feels at the last episode.

9.8/10 overall
RamkoX12X's avatar By RamkoX12X on Oct 2, 2013

(Synopsis) Yui Hirasawa is finally in her senior year of high school, which means that it will be the last time the Light Music Club can play together as a band. Yui, Ritsu, Tsumugi, Mio, and their newest junior member Azusa, try and make their last year of high school the best there is.

(Review) K-On's second season was I though more enjoyable and had a better story and theme than the original K-On. The story was better in this second installment because of the "coming of age" aspect to the anime. Yui and her fellow classmates are graduating from high school and leaving Azusa with keeping the legacy of the Light Music Club alive. Even though, there were many unneccessary episodes that aired, they were plenty fun and enjoyable, which is what K-On is all about. The music was well made as well and still keep that light and cute feeling to the songs they performed. Music became a big hit for this anime series having their first opening reach the #1 spot in Japan's music charts along with many songs in the series reaching the top 5. The characters were still very humorful and friendly, now including Azusa. Also, Ui and Jun make more appearances as Azusa's friends when the Light Music Club isn't around.

(Final Thoughts) K-On's second season surpasses the story aspect of the first installment and still keeps the cute and funny aspect together to make an excellent anime to watch. K-On!! is definitely one of the most enjoyable and fun animes I have ever seen. It will be a great pleasure to see a third season. I give K-On's second season a 9 out of 10.

~RamkoX12X

m0m0's avatar By m0m0 on Feb 6, 2011

K-On!! is the sequel to the original K-ON!. This series introduces new story and songs in the K-ON! universe. This story is basically about the 4 older girls; Yui, Ritsu, Mio and Tsumugi and their last year before college. Azusa is worried that she will be left alone in the band but in the end she finds people to play with her. This season is not as good as the first one, but what i enjoyed about K-ON! and K-ON!! is that they both are so real. No magic, no aliens, no super powers, just high school girls playing in a light music band and their crazy adventures that could happen to anyone.

I enjoyed this anime even though it was not as good as the first. I am eagerly waiting for the movie!

Lonewolf199's avatar By Lonewolf199 on Mar 3, 2011

I am not perfect at english because i am german. I apolgize..

First, you will not notice that they did even split up the anime in two seasons. I just realized it after sombody told me. The story is very well made and there are no gaps in them that will force you to make up your own mind. Well HTT (Hokago Tea Time = After School Tea Time) still have thier old members. It is the last year for Mio, Ritsu, Mugi and Yui until they graduate. Azusa still leaves open a huge gap, which is making me to wait eagerly for the new movie of K-on!!

The story itself is getting 10/10 because they did melt together both parts perfectly!

The animation looks very decent and is not too extreme but not too stiff. They walk normally and it is not really choppy. Looking "unreal" is something i can't say here. In other animes some things really look unreal! It is getting 9.5/10 points.

The sound, one of the most important things in K-On!!, is awesome. The music they play on thier performances are great! The openings and endings have nice music in them too. But the voice actors did an awesome job here. It sounds not so plain or boring and brings in a lot of life in a few situations. Thier higher-pitch voices are just like in other animes too, cute! The Sound is getting 10/10 points!

Lets scoot over to the character section. The design of them are each totally different and spice up the anime. You can see differences in skin colour for example. Eyes, hair and other small changes makes each of the characters special. I seen animes that don't have such small details in them, characters there have all the same skin colour for example. They did a great work right here, which is the reason they are getting 10/10 points awarded!

After all that, i came to the desicion to rate it 9.5/10 as overall rating. I really enjoyed every bit of that anime and will defently watch the movie / next season and stuff coming after it. Give it a shot, you will not regret it!

9.5/10 animation