K

theSentinel's avatar By on Aug 2, 2014

Okay, so k Project. . . was pretty good.  I look at the length of anime, and often times 12 episodes is not enough to get much done.  However K Project was suprisingly good.  It covered a full story with plenty of twists for a 12 episode series.  The only reason I didnt give this a 10 was because there was a lot of lore that they didnt cover ( 3 whole clans werent included).  However they are making a movie called " the lost kings" so hopefull that will cover everything that was not in the series.

I was skeptical about it at first, the first 3 episodes left you with nothing but questions.  However it started picking up very quickly.  Suddenly things are getting crazy and little bits of information are being let out until. . . bam the tip top of the climax.  Truly great story.

Story:  Fantastic, gave it a 10 because it earned it.  Especially for a 12 episode series it was well done with good pacing.

Animation: Great, I only wish I had watched in better res, but I supposed I should buy the anime to do that.  It was worth watching so I will probably buy it after I buy a bunch of others on the chopping block :P

Sound:  Sometimes the music did not match the scene.  For example combat music seemed too mellow at times.

Characters:  Great characters, especially with the voice actors that were chosen to play the roles.  I have yet to see an anime that can build a characters profile in less then about 15 minutes and then make you want to cry  when he bites it big.  Seriously

Overall:  please go watch this one.  If you are looking for something nice to watch right now that isnt too long but is pretty satisfying then this one is for you.

Epimondas's avatar By on Mar 23, 2015

Initially, the anime feels sort of like a mystery story.  The central figure's character is developed pretty well but then it changes drastically which can and does leave the viewer feeling a bit lost because it does a couple things.  It plays down the aspects before the change way too much and it doesn't build up or develop the changes enough either.  Anime frequently has the same problems understanding a good story and good story development.  This show sadly is no exception and the cause for most of its negative aspects.  Most of the other clan characters are centered around and developed about violence and or conflict, though there are attempts feeble as they maybe to show socialble friendship elements. It is a nice effort, however it can feel forced or somehow disconnected from the rest of the story and characters.  One problem there is, the main social character is gone from the show before the events of the series start and only appears in flashbacks.  The issue here is, all the things he said, did, and displayed to his friends in the Red clan, seem to have vanished the moment he died so, all his efforts and friendliness feel totally wasted.  Likewise the way the viewer is frequently lost or left hanging throughout the story is very frustrating.  Though you are sort of rewarded, but at the same time, there are too many things left either unresolved or unanswered so that viewers never really feel fully in sync with the story.  The most interesting characters are the black dog guy, the character they want revenge for by the red clan, the prechange main character, the guy who left the red clan to join the blue clan, and the blue king.  To lesser degrees but also worthy of note are the blue clan's second in command, the hearless woman, and the red king.  Sad to say but none of the other characters are developed solidly or strong enough to form satisfactory connections to the audience.  The psuedo girl friend of the prechange main is somewhat noteworthy, but because too much is left blank about her and she is left basically hanging as the series closes, she misses the mark.

(Spoiler) ** One of the biggest problems with the anime centers on the apparent central villain, the colorless King, whom the viewers meet and see portrayed as a bad guy in the very first episode.  At the end of the series, when it is revealed what the nature and abilities of this King are, they contradict what is said about the Kings in general relative to the main King, because the over powered skills given to the 7th King render the so called rules about all the kings null and void since he is given skills equal to or better than the main king, which the anime at the same time says is impossible.  It is impossible in two ways one in how long it suggests the 7th king could exist and the second in that it doesn't alter any as is suggested when each new 7th King is created.  Though the skills mentioned, the colorless king does technically merge with new life forms and according to rules established earlier, should then take on new qualities.  Essentially, it doesnt balance out the antagonist well because no solid weakness is suggested save one that contradicts the powers and skills of the main king.  Bottom line, it makes no sense and they foul up the antagonist's creation.  The animaters apparently wanted a challenging enemy, but they forgot to balance that out with practical weaknesses, what they gave him isnt very practical nor balanced.  (Spoiler**)

This strays from other animes the way it handles the antagonist because usually super powers are balanced out with some kind of trade off which is usually also a weakness to balance their strengths.  it also strays from every other king, even the main king the way trade offs and weaknesses are counter balanced to some degree by strengths.  Like most animes, the story, many of the characters, the plot, and animation are all promising but undercut by their errors mostly related to mechanics neccessary and taught in most American schools in such classes as English Composition, but perhaps absent from Japan.  It is the only way I can explain to myself how so many animes mess up in the exact same areas.

snivets's avatar By on Dec 27, 2012

To add to my bafflement over this series, I heard today that a sequel has been green-lighted. What the actual fuck? (Unless it's a sequel that is actually a prequel, in which case it should have come first, because this show was confused).

Story: The "plot" was an absolute fustercluck. It's like Nanamine from Bakuman got in on the scriptwriting, along with 50 of his internet advisors, and then everyone also had caffeine-induced ADHD on top of it. It felt like someone tried to throw in everything that was cool into one place, stirred the pot, and then spun it around in circles. From the vagueness of everything, the weak flashbacks, the staged fights that didn't advance the story, the unexplained characters, the unexplained setting, EVERYTHING about the "story" was half-assed and incomplete and annoying. It made watching the show a complete and utter drag.

Animation and Soundtrack: Actually, these are the high points of the show. Don't kid yourself. I remember after watching the first episode, I thought that it would be nice to see more movie-score-type soundtracks for anime, with the rushing classical pieces to create excellent atmosphere. Similarly, the art in this one is pretty win. Textures, effects, lighting, and fight scenes: none of it disappoints (if you can overlook the weakness of the story).

Characters: I kind of liked them at first, but then I didn't. They failed to convince me of their motives and they all had these complex histories with each other that were never fully explained and therefore lost their believability, and the MC was wishy washy and unentertaining. The majority of them can be reduced to tropes: hotheaded skateboard dude, cool megane dude (and apparently one of those wasn't even enough), responsible female class rep, booby catgirl with a lack of understanding of the real world and an overabundance of energy and high-pitchedness, serious samurai dude, etc etc. This really added to the overall lack of substance and content in the show.

This anime gets an IAMDISAPPOINT/10 and I will likely not be watching anything related to it evar again. Unfortunately, this sort of mediocrity-bordering-on-low-quality seems to be the standard for this season, so it took me a while to realize how bad it actually was. And then I was frustrated because it's so darn pretty to look at.

Watch at your own risk.

3.5/10 overall
Dragoninjaryu69's avatar By on Jun 11, 2015

I rally liked the show itself and had a great ploy. One of the few things that I disliked about this anime was that the characters had little to no depth. This also applied to the clans only four of the seven kings were shown. Overall a seven .

sparrowfall's avatar By on May 27, 2015

First of all, I wanted to start by saying this is an anime that you want to love from the beginning. It has so much potential with adorable characters, a pretty interesting beginning to the plot, and fun character development even within the first maybe two to three episodes.

But somewhere along the way it loses that spark that made it so interesting. It focuses less and less on the main characters, and spends more time on side characters, who, while interesting, don't seem to be relevant at the time. Because of this the plot gets side-tracked, and the main characters feel like they lose importance, or rather, you don't feel as connected to them anymore.

I really wanted to love this anime, and for the first 4 maybe 5 episodes I did, but I think for what the storytellers were trying to accomplish with all of the characters, this should have been a much longer anime. Otherwise, they should have focused a little more on the main characters and their development.