K

marisaaaa's avatar By marisaaaa on Aug 2, 2014

The anime is only 12 eps long, but even though it's so short, it was done pretty good. This anime got me from the first minute and I really enjoyed watching it. In these 12 episodes, it has a story developement equal to a 100-something anime with plot twists at the right places, illustrated in beatiful visuals and perfect music (I love the opening!). The characters are great too. A few minus points for the story, because some kings and their clans weren't introduced at all and then there's this open end, which leaves everything else to our imagination... I really hope that they make a second season.

theSentinel's avatar By theSentinel on Aug 2, 2014

Okay, so k Project. . . was pretty good.  I look at the length of anime, and often times 12 episodes is not enough to get much done.  However K Project was suprisingly good.  It covered a full story with plenty of twists for a 12 episode series.  The only reason I didnt give this a 10 was because there was a lot of lore that they didnt cover ( 3 whole clans werent included).  However they are making a movie called " the lost kings" so hopefull that will cover everything that was not in the series.

I was skeptical about it at first, the first 3 episodes left you with nothing but questions.  However it started picking up very quickly.  Suddenly things are getting crazy and little bits of information are being let out until. . . bam the tip top of the climax.  Truly great story.

Story:  Fantastic, gave it a 10 because it earned it.  Especially for a 12 episode series it was well done with good pacing.

Animation: Great, I only wish I had watched in better res, but I supposed I should buy the anime to do that.  It was worth watching so I will probably buy it after I buy a bunch of others on the chopping block :P

Sound:  Sometimes the music did not match the scene.  For example combaty music seemed too mellow at times.

Characters:  Great characters, especially with the voice actors that were chosen to play the roles.  I have yet to see an anime that can build a characters profile in less then about 15 minutes and then make you want to cry  when he bites it big.  Seriously

Overall:  please go watch this one.  If you are looking for something nice to watch right now that isnt too long but is pretty satisfying then this one is for you.

Amefuri's avatar By Amefuri on Jan 8, 2013

This anime oozed style and elegance.  If you're looking for a visual enticing series, this is a good one.  Great character design, beautiful scenes and pacing.  The opening scene in the first episode hooks you right away and the music blends seemlessly with the visual atmosphere while not being distracting or overpowering.  Many of the themes had that Yoko Kanno esque feel to them.

Unfortunately, I wish I could continue my praise to the series but the story left you wanting.  Don't get me wrong, I was entertained and intrigued throughout but this would have done better as a 26 episode anime with a more fully-fleshed out plot.  Instead it felt rushed and you only really got to scratch the surface of what seemed like compelling and deep characters.

Well compelling aside from Neko, I found her to be obnoxious and a tad uneccessary.  She's kind of a mary-sue with an unexplained wealth of power that allows her to neatly tidy plot holes or cause conflict where none was needed.  Her crashing the helicopter was like the hyjinx of a road runner cartoon.

Its certainly not for those who require all loose strings tied up but overall, I really did enjoy the series and just wish it had been allowed to decant properly.  It has a lovely, artistic quality and the captivating characters and casual air give it a cool, abstract vibe I haven't seen much of since of Cowboy Bebop.

6.5/10 story
9.5/10 animation
9.5/10 sound
TropicalSwirl's avatar By TropicalSwirl on Apr 11, 2013

My first review! How exciting. I have written this with no spoilers, so feel free to read if you haven’t watched. This does mean that some of the specific things I wished for in the series I left out, but I would be glad to discuss them with anyone who is interested.

Story [5/10]

The general concept of the system of Kings and related powers was really cool. I felt like it had a lot of potential, but it was never fleshed out enough to get me truly interested. I wanted more background on the groups and I wanted to see more of the intricacies between them. I wanted some explanations for why things were the way they were. I felt left with a lot of questions that I was eager to hear the answers to. Not every single thing had to have reason or history, but the complete lack of ground left the present story teeter-tottering on a random world. The situation around the main character, Shiro, was interesting enough to keep me watching. I wanted to know what was going to be revealed about his baffling life at the end and I wasn’t disappointed with the creative turnout, but, once again, without any ground to support it it was just a cute little plot twist. They did try to give some background at least, but barely any. And even what was given left more questions that would naturally be asked and as well as a pinch of confusion.

Vibe: Animation + Sound [7/10]

I have a bad habit of not paying much attention to music aside from the openings and endings, but if it’s music that elicits a powerful reaction from me, I will notice. The overall vibe of K was cool. One of the first things that got me interested was the animation and I particularly enjoyed the colors. The vibe stayed interesting throughout the series, but it wasn’t particularly striking either. I felt like there was room to get more intense, but I don’t know if they could given the lack of intensity with the story and characters.

Characters [6/10]

The one character I enjoyed thoroughly was Mikoto Suoh. Near the end I found myself rooting for him as the main character, for I felt more of an attachment to him than anyone else. He was a cool dude that was given enough history and implications about his nature to care about. The rest weren’t given enough intricacies to make me feel much for them, but at least they all had one or two defining traits or habits so I never mixed them up. A lot of them were pretty to look at. Neko had the potential to be cute and to even have her cool moments, but instead I found myself flinching and wishing for earplugs every time she screeched.

Overall [5.5/10]

It was okay. It had enough decent moments to sit through and follow, but it never elicited much of a reaction from me and I like to feel emotions when I watch anime. I wish they had made it more complicated, the relations more messy, and the action more crazy. If you want something easy to sit back, relax, and watch with some attractive characters and a mildly interesting world, you could give K a try.

5.5/10 overall
Def118's avatar By Def118 on Aug 30, 2014

Well, having just finished K i thought that i would write this review while it was still fresh in my mind. It was a great experience but it did have a few flaws that were evident as you continued to watch it.

Story 7

The story was pretty interesting and I think that it would make an interesting universe, however, we are talking specifically about the anime here and not about the K universe. The story did have a few gems in it but it was riddled with inconsistancies and I feel that it didnt cover as much as I would have expected it to cover which leaves you wanting more.

Animation 9.5

The animation is a-maze-ing! The fight scenes are well executed the character designs are great and not to mention the beautifully crafted landscapes. The powers that the characters use are coloured according to the clan that they belong to which makes for a great differential between the different factions, they also make for a badass display of SUPERPOWERS!!

Sound 8

The OP and ED didnt really strike me as anything special at first but as you watch on you learn to appreciate these things as they suit the anime very well. You feel that as the story developes the OP kind of accounts for it. The anime is accompanied by great compositions that add a different feel to each situation, the fight scenes especially.

Characters 6

Now the characters fell short in my opinion, they lacked a certain glow. There was evidence of development as well but from an anime like this, a lot more could have been done. I thought that a character like Neko wasnt needed and was just there for some form of fanservice. All in all the characters werent amazing but they werent all that bad, they have some fun moments which would probably induce a giggle or two.

Overall 7.7

I did like this anime but i do question its rewatch value, however, I would recommend it to anyone looking for something light-hearted and comedic but serious at the same time. Plus, the visuals really draw you in.

9.5/10 animation