K

theSentinel's avatar By theSentinel on Aug 2, 2014

Okay, so k Project. . . was pretty good.  I look at the length of anime, and often times 12 episodes is not enough to get much done.  However K Project was suprisingly good.  It covered a full story with plenty of twists for a 12 episode series.  The only reason I didnt give this a 10 was because there was a lot of lore that they didnt cover ( 3 whole clans werent included).  However they are making a movie called " the lost kings" so hopefull that will cover everything that was not in the series.

I was skeptical about it at first, the first 3 episodes left you with nothing but questions.  However it started picking up very quickly.  Suddenly things are getting crazy and little bits of information are being let out until. . . bam the tip top of the climax.  Truly great story.

Story:  Fantastic, gave it a 10 because it earned it.  Especially for a 12 episode series it was well done with good pacing.

Animation: Great, I only wish I had watched in better res, but I supposed I should buy the anime to do that.  It was worth watching so I will probably buy it after I buy a bunch of others on the chopping block :P

Sound:  Sometimes the music did not match the scene.  For example combaty music seemed too mellow at times.

Characters:  Great characters, especially with the voice actors that were chosen to play the roles.  I have yet to see an anime that can build a characters profile in less then about 15 minutes and then make you want to cry  when he bites it big.  Seriously

Overall:  please go watch this one.  If you are looking for something nice to watch right now that isnt too long but is pretty satisfying then this one is for you.

Amefuri's avatar By Amefuri on Jan 8, 2013

This anime oozed style and elegance.  If you're looking for a visual enticing series, this is a good one.  Great character design, beautiful scenes and pacing.  The opening scene in the first episode hooks you right away and the music blends seemlessly with the visual atmosphere while not being distracting or overpowering.  Many of the themes had that Yoko Kanno esque feel to them.

Unfortunately, I wish I could continue my praise to the series but the story left you wanting.  Don't get me wrong, I was entertained and intrigued throughout but this would have done better as a 26 episode anime with a more fully-fleshed out plot.  Instead it felt rushed and you only really got to scratch the surface of what seemed like compelling and deep characters.

Well compelling aside from Neko, I found her to be obnoxious and a tad uneccessary.  She's kind of a mary-sue with an unexplained wealth of power that allows her to neatly tidy plot holes or cause conflict where none was needed.  Her crashing the helicopter was like the hyjinx of a road runner cartoon.

Its certainly not for those who require all loose strings tied up but overall, I really did enjoy the series and just wish it had been allowed to decant properly.  It has a lovely, artistic quality and the captivating characters and casual air give it a cool, abstract vibe I haven't seen much of since of Cowboy Bebop.

6.5/10 story
9.5/10 animation
9.5/10 sound
TropicalSwirl's avatar By TropicalSwirl on Apr 11, 2013

My first review! How exciting. I have written this with no spoilers, so feel free to read if you haven’t watched. This does mean that some of the specific things I wished for in the series I left out, but I would be glad to discuss them with anyone who is interested.

Story [5/10]

The general concept of the system of Kings and related powers was really cool. I felt like it had a lot of potential, but it was never fleshed out enough to get me truly interested. I wanted more background on the groups and I wanted to see more of the intricacies between them. I wanted some explanations for why things were the way they were. I felt left with a lot of questions that I was eager to hear the answers to. Not every single thing had to have reason or history, but the complete lack of ground left the present story teeter-tottering on a random world. The situation around the main character, Shiro, was interesting enough to keep me watching. I wanted to know what was going to be revealed about his baffling life at the end and I wasn’t disappointed with the creative turnout, but, once again, without any ground to support it it was just a cute little plot twist. They did try to give some background at least, but barely any. And even what was given left more questions that would naturally be asked and as well as a pinch of confusion.

Vibe: Animation + Sound [7/10]

I have a bad habit of not paying much attention to music aside from the openings and endings, but if it’s music that elicits a powerful reaction from me, I will notice. The overall vibe of K was cool. One of the first things that got me interested was the animation and I particularly enjoyed the colors. The vibe stayed interesting throughout the series, but it wasn’t particularly striking either. I felt like there was room to get more intense, but I don’t know if they could given the lack of intensity with the story and characters.

Characters [6/10]

The one character I enjoyed thoroughly was Mikoto Suoh. Near the end I found myself rooting for him as the main character, for I felt more of an attachment to him than anyone else. He was a cool dude that was given enough history and implications about his nature to care about. The rest weren’t given enough intricacies to make me feel much for them, but at least they all had one or two defining traits or habits so I never mixed them up. A lot of them were pretty to look at. Neko had the potential to be cute and to even have her cool moments, but instead I found myself flinching and wishing for earplugs every time she screeched.

Overall [5.5/10]

It was okay. It had enough decent moments to sit through and follow, but it never elicited much of a reaction from me and I like to feel emotions when I watch anime. I wish they had made it more complicated, the relations more messy, and the action more crazy. If you want something easy to sit back, relax, and watch with some attractive characters and a mildly interesting world, you could give K a try.

5.5/10 overall
snivets's avatar By snivets on Dec 27, 2012

To add to my bafflement over this series, I heard today that a sequel has been green-lighted. What the actual fuck? (Unless it's a sequel that is actually a prequel, in which case it should have come first, because this show was confused).

Story: The "plot" was an absolute fustercluck. It's like Nanamine from Bakuman got in on the scriptwriting, along with 50 of his internet advisors, and then everyone also had caffeine-induced ADHD on top of it. It felt like someone tried to throw in everything that was cool into one place, stirred the pot, and then spun it around in circles. From the vagueness of everything, the weak flashbacks, the staged fights that didn't advance the story, the unexplained characters, the unexplained setting, EVERYTHING about the "story" was half-assed and incomplete and annoying. It made watching the show a complete and utter drag.

Animation and Soundtrack: Actually, these are the high points of the show. Don't kid yourself. I remember after watching the first episode, I thought that it would be nice to see more movie-score-type soundtracks for anime, with the rushing classical pieces to create excellent atmosphere. Similarly, the art in this one is pretty win. Textures, effects, lighting, and fight scenes: none of it disappoints (if you can overlook the weakness of the story).

Characters: I kind of liked them at first, but then I didn't. They failed to convince me of their motives and they all had these complex histories with each other that were never fully explained and therefore lost their believability, and the MC was wishy washy and unentertaining. The majority of them can be reduced to tropes: hotheaded skateboard dude, cool megane dude (and apparently one of those wasn't even enough), responsible female class rep, booby catgirl with a lack of understanding of the real world and an overabundance of energy and high-pitchedness, serious samurai dude, etc etc. This really added to the overall lack of substance and content in the show.

This anime gets an IAMDISAPPOINT/10 and I will likely not be watching anything related to it evar again. Unfortunately, this sort of mediocrity-bordering-on-low-quality seems to be the standard for this season, so it took me a while to realize how bad it actually was. And then I was frustrated because it's so darn pretty to look at.

Watch at your own risk.

3.5/10 overall
marisaaaa's avatar By marisaaaa on Aug 2, 2014

The anime is only 12 eps long, but even though it's so short, it was done pretty good. This anime got me from the first minute and I really enjoyed watching it. In these 12 episodes, it has a story developement equal to a 100-something anime with plot twists at the right places, illustrated in beatiful visuals and perfect music (I love the opening!). The characters are great too. A few minus points for the story, because some kings and their clans weren't introduced at all and then there's this open end, which leaves everything else to our imagination... I really hope that they make a second season.