Junjou Romantica

Add review
VivisQueen's avatar
Sep 13, 2008

The mind boggles - by all accounts and purposes, Junjou Romantica looks and smells like one of the worst anime ever. It's clogged with clichés and nothing really happens except for three random couples falling in love, confusing each other about how they feel, and then having off-camera sex to make up for it. Heck, other than to fill more episodes, I can't even see the point of presenting three couples in stead of just one since every story runs along the same formulaic lines. In the end, having nothing fresh to provide, Junjou Romantica boils down to being mediocre at best...

... and yet, at the same time, it's embarrassingly entertaining. Every scene may be as predictable as instant gravy, but a certain self-effacing quality to the comedy means the entire product comes across far more endearing than it deserves to be. At its best, the story will follow Misaki's comical dilemma as he alternates from loved-up moping to exploding with spastic facial expressions. Besides that, the conflicts and misunderstandings (as corny as they are) still manage to tug at the heartstrings on occasion. In particular, Miyagi's characterisation during the concluding arc goes a long way to give Junjou Romantica an emotionally satisfying finale.

I guess some anime are just made to confuse the critical mind; while Junjou Romantica may be far from substantial, it has still done its job of leaving me with a smile on my face.

Overall, the animation looks pretty, with the backgrounds utilising appealing pastel colours and lots of soft focus to give that dreamy romantic feeling. The disappointment lies in the boring and sometimes ugly bishounen designs, and the static movements. However, to be fair to Junjou Romantica, its visuals are as good or as bad as that of the vast majority of romantic comedies of the same era.

While not necessarily impressive, the opening and closing themes are satisfyingly catchy. Alas, the rest of the score is a lot like background traffic - you probably wouldn't notice it even if it was gone.

Where the voice actors are concerned, everyone appears competent enough to make something believable out of the hackneyed script; however, the best vocal performance easily belongs to Misaki, who brings some fantastic comedic moments to the table.

I must say that these characters are growers; although I wasn't impressed by them at the beginning, I now remember them with fondness. Whilst stoic in the extreme, Usami deserves some basic respect because of his genuine affection for Misaki, and Misaki himself turns out to be more endearing than annoying. That said, the overall shallowness of the cast means they will only be remembered for as long as it takes the next romantic comedy to come and sweep me off my feet. I say this with good reason:

Most of the protagonists lack the common sense that they were born with. Seven episodes in, after lots of hand jobs and heavy breathing, they will still utter mindboggling denials like ‘It's weird for a guy to be with another guy!' Not to mention that the lovers almost never approach their relationships maturely; in stead of talking things through, they communicate by cutting across each other's sentences, making long, languid glances down the soft focus lens, and, when all else fails, resorting to sexual assault.

For those hoping to satisfy their cravings for bishies, Junjou Romantica only brings disappointment. None of them have anything fresh to add to the already stagnant bishounen gene pool - each couple is comprised of a petite, doe-eyed virgin and an obscenely tall masculine aggressor. Again, the Miyagi-Shinobu pairing at the end is probably as good as it gets; not only is their romance believably tense, but Miyagi's ironic sense of humour and tragic background strikes a decent balance of pathos and wit.

Overall

This is definitely a case of the sum being greater than its parts. Whilst technically flawed with clichés, I find that the effects of these flaws are neutralised by the strong comedic flavour. In fact, the comedy is so well accomplished, that it positively gives Junjou Romantica a weird kind of charm. I think almost anyone not put off by gay romance will enjoy Junjou Romantica; not to mention that it would make a great introductory title for anyone wanting to get into shounen-ai.

6.5/10 animation
5.5/10 characters
hamletsmage's avatar
May 7, 2011

There are several reasons I like this anime.

Story: The story jumps around a bit, showing three relationships that are all intertwetwined. However, it is obvious that none of the three stories follow the same time line, often jumping large bits of time to continue a specific story. (Whether all 3 happen in the same time period at all is up for question)

Animation: The animation is what one would expect from Studio Deen. Beautifully done.

Sound: The sound was well done. The voice actors were well chosen for this anime. Takahiro Sakurai, the voice actor for Takahashi, proves his skill.

Characters: Instead of making the ukes weak and realtively wimp-tastic, they can stand on their own. The semes are cool-headed and only act irrational when their uke seems in trouble. The fact that the stereotypical relationship isn't used makes me like this anime all the more. (That being rash, loud-mouthed semes and weak, useless ukes). My personal favorite is Usagi (Usami). He is both a great novelist, and a BL light novel writer. Added to his love of childish things, he's just awesome.

Larkawolfgirl's avatar
Jan 31, 2010

This show is totally the best Shouen-ai show. It has great characters that you have to love. You really want them to be happy and the world just keeps getting in their way. Even if you don't like boy-on-boy if you give this a chance you end up changing your mind because this shows pulls at your heart and will make you believe in love and destiny. It shows you that even if you loss someone you loved there is always someone else who may come alone who you can find happiness with. It also shows that even if things seem to fall apart or have no structure everything does come into place and happen for a reason. This show is very addicting and you will be caring about the characters constantly. Each character is totally unique to the others on the show but they all have a tie into each other showing that what you do can effect others. Anyway I think this show was amazing and is really worth the watch!

KawaiiItaly's avatar
Apr 7, 2016

As many others I am a yaoi fangirl. I watched but some of my friends told me to stay away from that anime because of erotic moments. But as free I m I watched it anyway.  It can of a little odd because it goes to fast. That can leave people to drop it because they think it is a show where they just put romance in just for well.....reasons. But as soon as you get more into the anime it begins to take colour. You really get to see how beautiful love is if you look away from the erotic scenes. You feel like screaming into the screen that they should be together.

For people that don't now if they should see: If you REALLY can't handle the erotic scenes I think you should just let that one slide of your list. For people that can handle that I would recommend this!

A little tip: Don't jugde the anime after only 3 episodes. You will understand everything if you watch it to the end.

PoeticHorrorShow5287's avatar
Aug 29, 2014

After Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi, I was feiending for another lovely yaoi. I liked Studio Deen, so I figured id stay with them and watch another of their most popular. I was pleased with this show, and also a bit disappointed because the characters weren't as good in this one. I think maybe my expectations were too high. This is not to say it was bad at all, in fact it was quite good, but judging it agains S.I.H. I much prefer that one.

Story: it has three different love stories linked up together by work. The main story between Misaki and Usami is really good. It's my favorite of the three and these characters are the most fledged out of the six main. There were also some great episodes in their arc. The second and third pairings were good, but neither got a lot of air time which made them less memorable. Overall, I'm extremely happy there's a part two...maybe that will make me love this series more by getting to know the other characters better.

Animation: beautiful as always. Some characters look a little too much alike, but other than that, the art is lovely.

Sound: I loveeeee the opening theme and Usami's voice actor is my fav of the show. All the japanese voice actors are great and the OST music is pretty.

Characters: again reiterating what I said earlier, the characters weren't as developed as I would have liked, therefore their storylines weren't as emotional. The one about the widower got to me, and some of the Usami/Misaki ones though. Overall, I look forward to more development in the next season.

As a whole, it was good, but my high expectations we're let down a bit. Onward to season two...

7/10