Joshiraku

snivets's avatar By snivets on Nov 6, 2012

This anime is reeeeeally Japanese and I definitely wouldn't recommend it to just anyone. It has layers and layers of meaningful levels, is full of references to parts of Japanese culture that the average international viewer wouldn't usually know about (including myself--I could often tell there was a reference without knowing exactly what it implied), and it bases much of its humor off kanji and wordplay. If you watch Joshiraku and all you giggle at are the girls' antics, you're probably missing half of it.

Story: Not rated because there really isn't one, just a series of sketches.

Animation: Pretty average, not a lot of action scenes.

Sound: Gets a nine for the theme songs and voice acting.

Characters: Funny, but don't often break out of their typed roles. No long-term character development.

Overall: A subtle, delightful comedy with a limited audience. Probably rates a 9/10 from those who really deeply know Japan and its language, but there's a lot of potential for obscure references to get lost in cross-cultural translation. I give it a 7.9 for simple inscrutability.

7.9/10 overall
ecdrewello1's avatar By ecdrewello1 on Nov 2, 2012

This is in a simmilar line with Zetsubou Sensei, and like you'll see there's precious little that needs animation here. The majority of the skits take place back stage in a "rakugo" theater, a traditional format of Japanese comedy. The girls each have a diffrent personality that really accepts one another. If you are a fan of Japanese culture, puns, and banter then you will love this show. I was actually laughing out loud at some of the scenes... Marii punching a door-to-door religious recruiter was absolutly priceless (episode 2).