InuYasha

Jevinie's avatar By on Jan 12, 2014

As always, I am going to cut to the bone with my review.

Inuyasha at its best is an Epic tale that Follows Inuyasha and his companions across an epic journey in search of shards of the Shikon jewel, or the Jewel of Four souls. During which the crew encounters any number of interesting charcters from Japanese folk lore or directly from the the Shinto mythology. The story progresses well for a while, charcters get good developlement and each have rich back stories that are worth telling.  Inuyasha does an excellent job of Balancing a serious story line with good mx of comic releive and interesting side stories that the crew encounters in their journey.

-BUT-

Towards the end progess in the main story starts to bog down, The series starts to become drawn out and even a bit silly ( taking into account the tempo the rest of the anime set). With this in mind it starts to really damage the story and the fact that they broke the end of the series into a seperate series ( Inuyasha: The final act) is a bit annoying.  How ever despite this, I wouldn't go so far as to say the Anime falls apart ... Rather the Anime has a short time where it seems to forget which direction it was going.

Inuyasha is an anime that I enjoyed at the end of it all, it was worth watching and I recommend it to anyoe interested in it  but who perhaps missed it when it was airing on Toonami/ Adult swim.

nazertheyounger's avatar By on Nov 14, 2014

By the way, all of my scores are on an average of 5.

Story: 7/10

For as much as I adore this anime, the story is actually rather simple; Kagome a middle school student travels through time and is in possession of a sacred jewel without her knowledge. This jewel is UBER IMPORTANTE! It pretty much makes you control the world, or so it seems in the story. Anywho, she accidentally breaks the jewel into a bunch of pieces. So Kagome and InuYasha her demon companion search for it. Yeah, that is pretty much all of the main storyline.

However, the anime branches out on a lot of background information, making the fantasy, fedual world of Japan seem so much more real. It shows the depth of the history of both the protagists, the antagonists, and the people who lie somewhere inbetween. Despite the simplicity of the main arc of the storyline, the producers wrote the story so that all the people who were experiencing, essentially this major struggle for power in the era, were portrayed. And while in many ways you understood that Kagome and InuYasha's cause was the right one, you could sympathise with the antagonist because you knew his backstory.

I found myself enjoying the way that the point of view was so neutral and how commonly it was switched between the varying people of the feudal era. There became so many shades of gray and I think it helped me come to the realization that no person performes an action out of innate evil.

As much as I talk about the transitions, I have to talk about how smoothly they were performed. Sure, at some moments I didn't want to go into another perspective, because suspense was buliding, but it only became a better experience because of that. They used this switch many times as a way to build suspense when it became necessary and I remember watching into the long hours of the night on my phone waiting for that one moment.

There is a reason why so many people still watch this anime, even after all the years. The world is wonderfully built, the backstories are FANTASTIC, and it has one of the most realistic, genuine stories I have ever seen.

Animation: 7/10

Obviously this anime isn't new, but the animation never bothered me. It is great animation for it's time, I gave it a score accordingly so. I don't necessarily know if this is a deal breaker for you, but I hope it isn't because, in all honesty, this is one of the greatest anime of all time.

Sound: 9/10

Now most anime have a better opening and ending then they do ost's, but this anime turns that stereotype on it's head. Usually, I skip past the openings and endings because to me (at least) they feel like they don't fit the anime. However, when you get to the music that plays in the midst of the action IT SOUNDS LIKE HEAVEN RAINING CHOCOLATE AND CAKE. I bought all that I could from Itunes, because I am literally addicted.

Characters: 10/10

This anime has the best characters that I have ever seen... ever. Because of how it shows everyone's backstories, it can give you sympathy for people do hideous immoralities. The way that you learn to love each individual character becomes your own journey, even as they develop bonds with each other.

The absolute best relationship in this anime is the bond between InuYasha and Kagome. They start out as people who vehemently hate one another, yet as time passes they slowly become so close that they become the best of friends. It isn't cliche at all either, which I adore. It isn't where they wake up one day and suddenly can't live without the other. It grows so subtly that you don't even realize what happened.

Overall: 8.8/10

One of the classics. Known for it's characters, relationships, flawless world-building, and unbias point of view. Go watch this anime now!

8.8/10 overall
Hajime's avatar By on Sep 24, 2010

Sealed to a tree for 50 years by the only woman the half demon Inuyasha had ever loved, he is unsealed by her reincarnation born in modern times and returned to the past. Through a misshap a jewel known as the shikon no shana is shattered, and as its kikyo's reincarnation Kagome's fault, along with the newly awoken Inuyasha they must find the peices of the jewel. many friends are made, and enemies defeated. Ending doesnt exist...really, 4 movies are included, and this is a great damn series, My 1st fully owned one, and well I don't regret it

Yanagi13's avatar By on Dec 13, 2010

Synopsis

InuYasha follows the exploits of a fifteen-year-old girl called Kagome, after she inadvertently falls down a well, and is transported five centuries back in time to feudal Japan. There, she encounters the half-demon boy InuYasha for which the series is named, and discovers that she is the modern-day reincarnation of a powerful priestess, felled fifty years earlier at the hands of an evil demon tyrant. Her adventures begin after she shatters the Sacred Shikon Jewel; said to grand its wielder unrelenting power. Along with InuYasha, she swears to collect all of the shards before they fall into the wrong hands.

Story (6/10)

Considering the fact that it is admired still by thousands of fans across the world, the combination of noticeable plot holes and overused character interactions appears to suit InuYasha just fine. For such a series, there is really no need for a plot development deeper than, “You two were in love fifty years ago?” That single phrase sums up large amounts of the story, simply due to the fact that InuYasha is, in short, a romantic time-traveling fairy tale with a demonic twist. It is captivating enough to absorb members of a mainstream audience, but should without a doubt stick within the zone of comfort that it presents to those viewers, while attempting to swerve away from more critical thinkers. Now, that isn’t to say that I didn’t enjoy it, because I most certainly did. Still, I must be practical, because even with the elements of fantasy and adventure that it overlooks, the plot of InuYasha remains so-so at best.

Animation (8/10)

It was evident since episode 1, that InuYasha was a fairly high-budget series. With drastic alterations in art styles spanning from the original manga by Rumiko Takahashi, it takes on a much more colorful and clean effect. Nevertheless, there were several moments when the animation thrust itself downhill, particularly close to where it was cut short at episode 167. It quickly regains its original momentum and vigor whenever key plot elements are introduced however. The character designs were bold and easy on the eyes, but reminded me somehow of a higher-budget Rurouni Kenshin. The battle sequences were poorly done, most likely because the animators had already spent so much money on the series’ gorgeous backgrounds. The swings of enormous swords and boomerangs were often represented by flashing white lines, which were enough to get the basic point across, but went no further than that. Overall, InuYasha’s animation was pretty, but nothing truly spectacular.

Sound (8/10)

Kauru Wada delivers a breathtaking score to InuYasha, coupling with its J-pop opening and closing themes. I admit that I listen to the tracks quite often on my free time, singularly the main theme, which combines cellos, violins and drums to create a beautiful effect. These pieces highlight the action and sorrow sequences perfectly, and in my opinion, are one of the major reasons why the InuYasha anime has been so well respected throughout the years. As I recall, my very favorite background themes always incorporated pan flutes at some point. This really took to my fancy because I simply adore flutes. As another category for sound, I was truly impressed by the English dub of the series, which I first watched as a part of the Adult Swim program on Cartoon Network when I was 7. The voices are all well performed and suite the individual characters, especially in comparison to quite a few dubs I’ve heard in the past.

Characters (6/10)

The characters in InuYasha are poorly introduced and poorly developed. They hardly manage to accent the series at all, and almost hurt it each moment a new character is established. In this case, I am specifically noting InuYasha himself. Although he grows in terms of emotional baggage, he remains both arrogant and selfish throughout the series. Considering the fact that there were many instances when I was able to predict his words before he spoke them, his personality is cliché as well. The relationship he shares with Kagome wasn’t truly interesting either, and again, was reminiscent of Rurouni Kenshin. This truth becomes especially noticeable when InuYasha’s transformations into a full demon are introduced. Every other character in InuYasha fits into a specific category. Shippou for example is the cute sidekick, and Miroku is the lecher with a dark past. I could go on much further, but I wouldn't want to ramble, and I believe that my basic point was made clear.

Overall (7/10)

InuYasha was certainly not a bad anime, far from it in fact. It was appealing enough that I managed to finish the entire series, as well as read the remainder of the manga and watch The Final Act when it was released. Still, there was just something about it that reminded me too much of Rurouni Kenshin. Nevertheless, Nobuhiro Watsuki's manga remains brilliant through my eyes, whereas InuYasha was easily forgotten, and composedly thrust beneath a mound of temporary highlights. With that said, I conclude by review of Rumiko Takahashi's, InuYasha.

angelbabv's avatar By on Sep 21, 2014

Shouldnt be any but better say this just to be safe ahem....WARNING: this review MAY contain spoilers you've been warned, now with that out of the way lets get down to the review shall we. Quick description: Kagome is your average high school girl until one day she is dragged down to the bottom of her families shrines old well by crazy bug lady (aka the demon "Mistress Centipede") who is after the the Shikon Jewel ( aka the Jewel of Four Souls) that is inside her body. But instead of just landing at the bottom of the well she finds herself transported 500 years in the past. Confused and lost she wanders the surrounding forest where she see's Inuyasha, a boy with dog ears pinned to a tree who appears to be in a deep sleep. When Mistress Centipede tries to take the Jewel again in order to save herself (although she is told by all the villagers not to do it) she free's Inuyasha and he kills the crazy bug but (as i think we all seen coming) he turns his claws on kagome. Now on to the review!

Story 9/10:

the Story was very well done and thought out (minus the fifth season which is the reason for the 9 out of 10). it has about everything you could want in an anime, love (the best part in my opinion ^_^), adventure, action, and just a bit of tragedy.

Animation 8/10:

The animation is a bit on the old side but this anime did start 2000 considering that it is pretty good.

Sound 10/10:

The voices in this were pretty much perfect i couldnt imagine any of the characters sounding any other way. (espeically Sesshomaru his sexy voice sent chills down my spine...)

Characters 10/10:

Most of the characters are amazing and had great back stories. Inuyasha and Sesshomaru are by far my favorites in the show both are hot, strong, and have good and unique personalties. then theres Kikyo and Shippo (yes he is cute but so freaking annoying and is always getting in the way of Inuyasha and Kagome) who you love to hate.

Overall 9/10:

I really liked this anime and definitely consider it to be one of my favorites. I would recemmend this to anyone who love romance and/or action anime.