InuYasha The Movie 4: Fire on the Mystic Island

roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Jun 9, 2012

This is the fourth and last of the Inu Yasha movies, taking place towards the end of the first series. Up to now it was sort of a strategy to tribute each new sword technique with a movie but at this point no new moves were introduced and thus the scriptwriter simply invented one just for this filler mission.

The scenario is very weak and most unimpressive even for the tv standards. So far they had being fighting top level demons who could take over the world, control time, and even raise hell. Now they deal with… four convicts??? Surely, where is the excitement in that? Four nobody demons that are trapped on an island and just lure other demons in order to eat them and stay alive. Another annoying feature is the little kids in this movie. You would expect token kids begging for the shounen hero to save them in a Naruto or a One Piece film, but in Inu Yasha it just feels stupid. I guess so many years past that by now the franchise had turned to just another silly show about teenagers saving kids.

The plot is not something great either. All they do is fighting one demon at a time before the last one fuses with the rest to form a last moment big boss. That’s it, nothing more. The previous movies had the decency to try to deal with some sort of drama or romance from the various themes of the main story. This one here does absolutely NOTHING! You could replace the characters with those from any other shounen show and you wouldn’t even know the difference.

Not even the action is something good, since by now Inu Yasha had enough firepower to take on the Devil himself and the enemy demons were just generic bad guys without any backdrop or interesting battle strategies. Not even the setting is good either. It is just a sort of tropical island that appeared on the sea; nothing nightmarish or complicating.

In all, this is a completely pointless movie that has no point in existing. I don’t recommend it one bit.

4.5/10 overall
CaseyJewels's avatar By CaseyJewels on Jan 31, 2012

Even though this movie had nothing to do with the main plot of the show (or even existing sideplots), I actually found it to be my favorite of the four. Many of the characters created for this were adorable, and I fell in love with them all, watching them as they grew in the hour and a half of this movie. I felt that they meshed very well with the main cast of Inuyasha.

I also loved the music, and felt that it matched the rest of the show's music very well. The humor was spot-on, and the action was good--not like the movie before, where the fighting went on so long that it was boring.

Overall, for a spin-off movie, it's pretty darn good.