InuYasha The Movie 3: Swords of an Honorable Ruler

CaseyJewels's avatar By CaseyJewels on Jan 29, 2012

This movie, while separate from the anime's plot, really delves into Inuyasha's, and some of Sesshomaru's, pasts, which I really loved, and it showed how these pasts made them who they are. That emotional aspect was done very well.

However, the beginning bit with the sword, while explained later, seemed a little convenient... Definitely a plot device to get the movie going, instead of seeming like a natural part of the movie.

I also felt like much of this movie was just fighting, fighting, fighting, hence why I gave it such a low score. I understand that there is a lot of action in the show, and thus there should be in a movie as well, but I got bored with all of the fighting, as I felt like they were just stalling to make the movie longer, instead of getting on with it.

I really loved the ending scene after the credits, though, and Rin was as adorable as ever.

Overall, the emotional aspects of the movie were great, but there was just too much time spent on pointless fighting for me to have really enjoyed it.

roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Jun 9, 2012

This is the third Inu Yasha movie, taking place after the hero has learned the diamond shard technique. Although still a filler movie, it is offering lots of canon information that was never used in the main series but is otherwise not contradicting anything either. So it is a sort of a must-watch to anyone interested into the past of Inu Yasha and his family, as we see the last moments of his parents and how the third powerful sword his father was using was taken over by the hatred of a mortal who was in love with his wife. In the present, that is more than enough for both Inu Yasha and his brother fighting both the sword’s demonic powers, as well as each other to see who gets to wield it.

The emotional engagement is simply great, as the whole conflict is based on twisted love and not the usual megalomaniac villains who want to take over the world. For once Inu Yasha’s dark side is not used just for the sake of cheesy drama but as true reason to become a full demon. Plus this movie has by far the largest amount of action you can find in the whole franchise. It literally raises hell itself and the affected areas turn to a thing of horrors. Combined with far better production values than the tv series, you get a more than good action/drama movie.

The ending though is kind of a cop-out and ruins the otherwise interesting build-up. It was more than obvious what would the solution be to the problem. But whatever, those who are fans will appreciate the fleshing out of the protagonist, while those who are not will get kicks out of the epic level fights.