Infinite Stratos

Alt titles: IS: Infinite Stratos

eaper's avatar By on Apr 4, 2011

Oh Infinite Stratos- the acclaimed "most cliched series. Ever." And I believe it does a fairly good job living up to your name. This is where many will ask "wait, are cliches all that bad? If they are done so often, doesn't that mean they have some merit?" Well, that depends. In this case- no. With a few exceptions, mainly stemming from the money pumped into this series, there is little to say was done well in this show, with one bright, shining exception, which will be latter addressed. Anyways, on to the review proper. Note, slight spoilers in the story section explaining why it is so horrible.

Story: 2/10

So, if you decide you want to make a series that has a lot of boobs, some action, and little forsight, mix all your hopes and dreams together, what do you get? This. Poo. A series that explains the larger mysteries in the end by saying "I did it because I'm a genius and I could." Really? Wait, part of the explination is also "well, this suit can do stuff like that for no real reason, don't ask me why." Other than that, the complete ass-grab of random powers they never show before that moment, the fact that one of the girls was taking on 4 at once, but seemed of almost no help for the final boss, the "well, Charles' parents apparently don't care anymore if EVERYONE knows they were lying and she's a girl" all mix together for a horrible story. Also, they go to a school full of IS piolets, taught by IS piolets. Why the hell don't some of the teachers or upper classmen help this ragtag bunch of first years? Seriously?

Animation: 8/10

Well, when you say "hey, there will be A LOT of girls that fufill all sorts of fetishes in this series," some dumb producer is probably going to pour way too much money into it an make it pretty. That's the case here.

Sound: 5/10

The OP and ED are almost catchy. The sound in the series is unremarkable. The voice actress for several of the characters, however, are quite good. Rising starlettes such as Yōko Hikasa (Mio from K-On!), and Kana Hanazawa (from... almost every series in the last 2 seasons or so) are tempered with the more vetern Marina Inoue and Yukana making for a very strong vocal cast.

Characters: 5/10

Despite only being 5/10, a character, Charles, is the BEST part of the crap show. And Laura was good for about... 3 of the 6 episodes she appeared in. Then they made her all deredere and it sucked. I really had hope for her... Anyways, other than Charles, the other characters are all super-cliched stereotypes ranging from tsundere to oujo-sama. The main character is your proto-typical, happy go lucky, libido-less character that ignores... almost anything going around him.

Overall: No. Just no. Maybe just watch Charles' arc then delete the rest of the series. But... no.

omnioblivion's avatar By on Jul 15, 2015

Weak background story and "spin-off" like episodes makes you forget the reason why these machines (IS) exist in the first place.

Animation:

Beautiful backgrounds and great looking machines. Even the fight scenes (albeit fewer than I orginially thought) are visually appealing.

Sound:

Great intro music. Fight scene sounds are also quite solid. The problem? Not enough of it.

Attempts to distinguish the main heroines and hero are done quite poorly. Defined by nationality, but nothing that makes any of the characters very memorable or likable (with my exception of Charlotte, but barely).

Overall:

I really wanted to like this show, but the story and characters are all so forgettable that it left me disappointed.

kingofdemons's avatar By on May 23, 2015

Story: I liked how they did the intro to the anime and how they showed us the Characters and there suits as well, and all so explaining what each one dose.

Animation: To me it was a little better then your normal anime is but not to crazy good, or at least for me.

Sound: Spot on with the sound

Characters: Super cool Characters, one of the best cat that I have seen super funny and I love Laura Bodewig she is my fav

9.3/10 story
9.2/10 animation
9.5/10 characters
SilentProtagonist's avatar By on Apr 27, 2015

I don't want to give a long review, people have their opinions on it. If you like harem comedies, or want to get into them, then try it. The main reason of this is to tell you to watch the dub. I think it is probably the best dub I have seen. Really adds to the comedy of it.

WarlordToby's avatar By on Dec 9, 2014

I really did like this anime. Story wasn't the best one available but few things really did surprice me. I give 8 for story, 9 for animation, sound and characters. Overall it is 9, and it deserves it.