il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion

Alt titles: Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou

AngelBeatsYui's avatar By AngelBeatsYui on Jul 22, 2014

Warning this review may contain spoilers-

Another amazing review for you all to read...lucky you. This time it is for the dark magic girl anime Daybreak Illusion, this anime is a dark version of your typical Magic Girl show and was displayed quite well. It is based around a girl called Akari who's mother died (I think) and has been living with her aunt and uncle, also she works as a fortune teller, this leads to her story beginning. The story for a start was put together quite well but honestly it wasn't the best. The story was slightly rushed and ended quite badly. The story wasn't the best but it was quite enjoyable. There was drama and small action with added to the story. The animation was like your typical Magic Girl show, big eyes and slightly Moe. So yeah...

The music...Well the opening....it's kind of obvious...I loved it as soon as I watched the series, I bought the song...Well it is LiSA. The ending was meh, it was pretty average and the voice actors were good for the characters that were involved. The characters were pretty simple both in design and personality, but most are pretty loveable in most ways. I really enjoyed this anime. The detail in the slightly horror scenes though...Well there was quite a bit of blood.

In conclusion, I seriously need to write longer reviews...Well anyway this anime is get at if you like dark magic girl with a dramatic moments. I enjoyed it and you would also probably if you watch it.

~AngelBeatsYui~

6.3/10 overall
roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Jul 28, 2013

Ah, another one of those dark mahou shoujo that try to cash in from the fad Madoka Magica created with its hype and financial success. Although it does a fine job at having polarized imagery of happy moeblobs on one hand and creepy murderous monsters on the other, it still fails to accomplish the thing that actually made Madoka Magica such a hit. Which one is that you may wonder? Could it be the deep characterization? The elaborate storytelling? The amazing analysis of its various themes? HELL NO, that show sucked in all that.
… It was the production values, ok?

AIC is no SHAFT. They can’t throw a mountain of money at it, nor do they have overrated anime creators in their disposal to hype the damn thing six months before it even begins to air. And this is why despite all the good efforts the artwork of Gen’ei doesn’t look very good and the soundtrack is just ok at best. The character designs are practically laughable and the motions during battles are very crude. The action bits that SHOULD feel epic for the build-up they get, end up being nothing but a random line of magic attacks with no real strategy and an excuse for the heroine to use the power of friendship.

Anyways, as a stand-alone show it is not bad but sure becomes sort of repetitive in its plot very soon. Some person is lured to the dark side, turns to monster, does bad things, and the girls are sent to kill it. The theme of how you are willing to do murder in order to fulfill your deepest desires can be interesting but not when it is done in an episodic manner. Every episode is essentially 15 minutes of fuzzy slice of life, followed by 5 minutes of photo-epileptic battles full of gore and death around people we will never see again. It is hard to get attached to any of the characters since every conflict is resolved in the very episode it is created. Also, they resort to that stupid amnesia gimmick where the monsters and the victims of the monsters are erased from everybody’s memories. Their deaths are treated as accidents, which is a cheap way to maintain the status quo but also removes the drama from the setting. And sure, the main characters, the mahou shoujo themselves, remember everything but even they seem to get over it by the next episode.

Once again the main heroine ends up being the most basic and dull of them all, constantly trying to reason with the monsters and save everybody with the power of love and all that crap. It doesn’t work to the most part (thank God) but it still makes you wonder why they even have her in the demon busting team. She constantly refuses to fight, which results to many lives being endangered, hers included. I mean I would understand if they kept her in the sidelines until she gains experience; but moving her from JUST GOT SUPERPOWERS straight to FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE is overkill and helps nobody in the longrun.

I am also not fond of themes that are rubbed in your face, something which all dark mahou shojo do. They end up having depressing stuff along with cute moeblobs in order to manipulate emotions in the most obvious and lazy of methods. In case you have watched Blood C, Black Rock Shooter, or Symphogear, you will recognize that unsettling feeling of the uncanny valley. Now it’s cute. WHAM. Now it’s gory. WHAM. Now it’s loli fan service. And yes, that is too an issue in case you don’t take pleasure in watching naked moeblobs with squirrel voices for a few minutes before blood starts splattering all over the screen.

What I do like a lot though is the attention they gave to slowly explain what is going on. The monsters have motivations, and the magic comes from an explained source, something which beats having no real reason than being evil and having magic. It is also not trolling you to think it is a fluffy show for 3 episodes before it throws in someone important dying. In those departments, it blows Madoka Magica out of the water. The problem still remains though; the drama and conflicts are piss poor and rushed, always resolved with brute force and mind control. Nothing matters past the episode it takes place in.

The show is not bad in overall but lacks tremendously in tension. Despite being dark and violent, you just can’t get into it when they throw lolicon fan service amongst silly drawn characters and expect you to gasp at the tragedies they face before they forget them in 5 minutes. So in the long run it fails to be something actually memorable and poignant. Hell, I can even throw in the fact that Madoka also worked because most had never seen a deconstruction of the genre before, so they were taken by surprise. The same trick will never work with any show that tries to pull the same rabbit out of the same hat so soon. And boy, does this hat look ugly by now.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 5/10
General Artwork 1/2 (rather low on budget)
Character Figures 0/2 (laughable)
Backgrounds 1/2 (basic)
Animation 1/2 (basic)
Visual Effects 2/2 (artsy)

SOUND SECTION: 6/10
Voice Acting 1/3 (squirrel voices)
Music Themes 3/4 (not great but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Sound Effects 2/3 (ok I guess)

STORY SECTION: 5/10
Premise 2/2 (interesting)
Pacing 1/2 (episodic and repetitive)
Complexity 1/2 (not much)
Plausibility 0/2 (none)
Conclusion 1/2 (cheesy)

CHARACTER SECTION: 5/10
Presence 1/2 (generic)
Personality 1/2 (cheesy)
Backdrop 1/2 (generic and simplistic but it’s there)
Development 1/2 (overblown but it’s there)
Catharsis 1/2 (overblown but it’s there)

VALUE SECTION: 3/10
Historical Value 0/3 (none)
Rewatchability 1/3 (low because of too much overblown drama)
Memorability 2/4 (visuals and themes are cool but they are handled poorly)

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 3/10
Art 0/1 (looks lazy)
Sound 1/2 (nice songs, bad voice acting)
Story 1/3 (good concept handled poorly)
Characters 1/4 (sexualized and badly drawn lolis, yuck)

VERDICT: 4.5/10

4.5/10 overall
KingArthur13th's avatar By KingArthur13th on Oct 1, 2013

Day Break Illusion is a series that could of joined Madoka Magica in building the dark magical girl sub-genre, instead it simply copied it with little originality. What little originality this series does contain comes from its Tarot Card Reading theme which doesn't effect the progression of the series as much as you might think. Day Break Illusion can be exciting at times and deliver emotional scenes here and there but overall, it's a disappointment. Not a failure but a disappointment. Everything is actually really predictable except for what happens to Luna or the information dump in episode eleven. Day Break Illusion's story is centered around young girls who are called upon to sacrifice themselves and save the world as magical girls. In the beginning that was actually well performed, with each girl finding their own way to overcome or ignore the fact that they're basically executioners but we needed an antagonist to really get the ball rolling. Too bad that we literally never figure out why the antagonist (Cerebrum) does what he does until the last two episodes. Cerebrum was such a poorly executed villain, I felt that this show might have actually been better if the producer left him out, let the Daemonia appear as the creatures that naturally exist and focus on the girls mental and emotional development during their times as magical girls. This is just one of the reasons why Madoka Magica managed to be such a hit.

Day Break Illusion tries way to hard to be Madoka Magica and that becomes incredibly noticeable after the first episode onward. After 12 episodes, you will finally know what Cerebrum is after and you'll most likely bust out laughing or facepalm because it's just plain stupid. This series really seems to give nothing to you but questions and the few answers that are given are either silly or seriously late for you to even care. Despite how disappointing Day Break Illusion it's not all bad I guess. The battle scenes between the magical girls and Daemonia are actually enjoyable but the animation makes some parts of the fight unrecognizable.

Day Break Illusion's cast is made up of your average group of magical girls; the optimist, the tomboy, the joker and the weakling. The girl's primarily survive through the power of friendship and it's just so cheesy, I felt like I should of been eating mac and cheese while watching this series. Day Break Illusion gets points for action and disturbing atmosphere but not much else.

4.5/10 story
6.5/10 animation
5.5/10 overall
KinkyRice's avatar By KinkyRice on Oct 6, 2013

I'm a real fan of magical girl anime. This show really hit home with me on some parts because it really made you feel what the characters were feeling during turning points and crisises in the story line. Mainly, the thing with Fuyuna. I love how at the ending the two of them finally got to talk it out, and they both recieved some sort of closure. I feel like the story is incomplete though, as per usual with seasonal anime. Hopefully the series gets a season two, because I feel like more things should be explained. Like Akari's mom's past, and I would like the rest of the tarot users to be introduced into the storyline some how. Anyway over all, for it's magical girlness, and cute art style and theme I give it a pretty high rating because I enjoyed watching it even though I still have some questions unanswered. It reminds me a lot of Madoka and I really hope there's more to both series.

Bestanimeserie's avatar By Bestanimeserie on Oct 25, 2013

Today I finished Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou wich was a pretty enjoyable watch though the show itself wasn't that good the main problem I had was with the characters mainly because there are different episode's spend on each character but they still show not that much development or you really don't care about them.

The animation was pretty good though the girls looked wayy too slim I mean look at their arms & legs it's a miracle they can stand up with those legs, the fighting scene's did look smooth and the special effects are pretty good as well.

The music was in my opinion the best thing about this show, it has great battle music but there are also a few cheery songs between it that really makes it great, the background music was quite good as I did notice it a few times. As for the OP and ED I both didn't really like them I do not know why but they weren't that catchy.

The story was pretty good i've never seen that much magical girl shows and I haven't seen madoka magica (i'm making that a priority) anyways it was a pretty good story and it had a closed ending I would have liked to see it a bit darker, but the happy ending wasn't that bad either.

The characters well I did mention their designs before it really was bad how they are designed atleast in my opinion, as for the characters themselves they were kinda dull they all had their own problems to conquer and even if some did I still didn't care much for them.

Overall this show was average i've seen better shows but it was worth my time (I think) even though the characters are shit the story is still pretty soild and the music is great now for my scores:

Animation: 6/10