il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion

Alt titles: Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou

AngelBeatsYui's avatar By on Jul 22, 2014

Warning this review may contain spoilers-

Another amazing review for you all to read...lucky you. This time it is for the dark magic girl anime Daybreak Illusion, this anime is a dark version of your typical Magic Girl show and was displayed quite well. It is based around a girl called Akari who's mother died (I think) and has been living with her aunt and uncle, also she works as a fortune teller, this leads to her story beginning. The story for a start was put together quite well but honestly it wasn't the best. The story was slightly rushed and ended quite badly. The story wasn't the best but it was quite enjoyable. There was drama and small action with added to the story. The animation was like your typical Magic Girl show, big eyes and slightly Moe. So yeah...

The music...Well the's kind of obvious...I loved it as soon as I watched the series, I bought the song...Well it is LiSA. The ending was meh, it was pretty average and the voice actors were good for the characters that were involved. The characters were pretty simple both in design and personality, but most are pretty loveable in most ways. I really enjoyed this anime. The detail in the slightly horror scenes though...Well there was quite a bit of blood.

In conclusion, I seriously need to write longer reviews...Well anyway this anime is get at if you like dark magic girl with a dramatic moments. I enjoyed it and you would also probably if you watch it.

6.3/10 overall
CrystalGrace's avatar By on Jun 10, 2015

Day Break Illusion Review:

In all seriousness, do you think just because two animes are extremely similar for what they were doing means one is a ripoff of another? Now, I think it’s pretty rare for there to be a ripoff in the anime industry. Now I’m not saying that is anime we’re talking about today is a ripoff of the obvious Madoka Magica; I’m just saying a lot of people think that and I want to get into the details why. So, let’s use our tarot cards to transform and review Day Break Illusion!

Additional Notes:

Day Break Illusion is a 13 episode long anime + an OVA released back in 2013 done by Studio AIC. It was originally a light novel written by Michiko Ito that was adapted into a manga than an anime.

This anime is rated TV-14 for gore, dark themes, and some sexual innuendos here and there. Thus, viewer discretion is advised.

The story of Day Break Illusion is quite similar to Madoks Magica, but has its own twists here and there. The story is about a girl named Akari who has a fortune telling skill and later learns she is the new user of the Sun Tarot Card who her deceased Mother originally possessed. Because of this, Akari can turn into an epic magical girl and fight the Daemonia, creatures who take over certain human beings in dream-like worlds (very similar to Madoka Magica). Akari tries to learn to accept her fate as she meets new friends at her new school dedicated to teaching and helping students who possess the tarot cards.

Now since I just explained the basic premise, you’re probably thinking, “MADOKA MAGICA IS WRITTEN ALL OVER IT!” Well actually, not necessarily. Day Break Illusion may have a similar story, but that doesn’t mean it’s a ripoff of Madoka Magica. If you are saying it rips of the magical girl deconstruction, then you are clearly an idiot. Technically, the first Magical Girl deconstruction is said to be Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha, an anime I have not seen yet. And funny thing is, it was released back in 2,000 FREAKING 4! Now let me tell you this and this may confuse you; a ripoff can be done good if it has enough creativity to stand alone and walk a little bit without the original source material, however a ripoff of a ripoff will never be able to take its first step. I’m not saying Madoka Magica blatantly ripped of Nanoha, Nanoha is a little more lighthearted as far as the deconstruction is concerned. I’m just saying that if another ripoff comes again that uses the deconstruction of what Madoka Magica and Day Break Illusion had, it won’t be very good. For example, imagine a magical girl anime called “Heart-Trail Break” (Yeah I know I’m great with titles) that just finished its airing today and had the exact same elements as Madoka Magica but also uses the exact same elements of Day Break Illusion, which is considered the ripoff! Heart-Trail Break would not be able to work because a ripoff of a so-called ripoff cannot work!

But anyways, sorry to confuse you! Day Break Illusion’s story can hold up on its own but it can be a bit too similar to Madoka Magica.

Now the characters of Day Break Illusion can definitely be understood as to why this anime is considered a ripoff. Not that they are awful, just very obvious cookie cutters is all. For instance:

Akari: Madoka (Main Character, Sort of Too Nice For Their Own Good)

Seira: Homura (Cold and More Secretive)

Luna: Mami (Lonely, Shy, And Sweet)

Ginka: Sayaka and a tiny bit of Kyoko (More Eccentric and Adventurous except with more girly-edge to her)

If you get the chance to watch this anime, you’ll easily notice this! The characters are interesting, but they have a bit of trouble sometimes holding up because of their cookie cutter personalities. What I really like about this anime in particular is the fact that it doesn’t really have that one character. You know what I’m talking about, the magical creature that gives advice to our main hero and their powers and help them fight evil. Guess what, they don’t have them! Sure they have talking animals, but that’s not their job! Actually, it’s really the teachers of the academy that take on that role and/or the heroes themselves, which is what I think is awesome! No Kyubey, No Senketsu, No Luna, NONE!

The thing that irks me the most about the characters is some of their designs. Sure they are creative, but some of them are really hard to look at (*cough* Priscilla *cough*).

Btw, Cerebrum (you’ll meet him later) is freaking sexy. Now if only his personality and intentions were changed a little bit (SPOILER ALERT: He’s kind of a rapist)

Not much else to say, cookie cutters really.

Something that may definitely surprise is that in my opinion, Day Break Illusion’s animation style actually works way better than Madoka Magica’s! Why? The style for this anime is a lot more girly, bright, and sharp so it makes the deconstruction work a lot better and make the anime look more misleading. For Madoka Magica, you can actually see the animation even in the first 3 episodes that it could have enough potential to become a really gritty series in the first place. For Day Break Illusion, it looks like a show for kids ages 7 and up! That’s actually a really good plus for a deconstruction of a magical girl anime. Madoka Magica did fight scenes a bit better by a landslide though. But still the animation is actually not bad at all.

The soundtrack for Day Break Illusion is not all that significant. Sure the opening and the ending are pretty good and maybe to say even great (the opening has to be my honest favortie from LiSA), but I don’t remember ANY other OST of any sort from this show. And that mostly might be because this anime wasn’t popular enough to get over a million uploads of the same thing over and over unlike Madoka Magica’s fanbase (Sis Puella Magica has probably been uploaded at least 600 times!).

Not much to say here, not very well.

The similarities are obvious, but Day Break Illusion is 100% capable of standing on its own. If Madoka Magica never existed, my guess is this anime would get all the hype. Personally, I thought it was fine, even a bit enjoyable. Yeah it can be stupid and ridiculous and even cringeworthy, but all in all it’s a harmless anime for a deconstruction. If you liked Madoka Magica, there’s a 90% chance you will think Day Break Illusion is ok or even good.

Next Review: Sola

(If you have any questions of corrections about this review or Day Break Illusion, contact me! :D)

7.5/10 story
8.5/10 animation
5.5/10 sound
6.6/10 overall
ZetsubouKaiji's avatar By on Jun 25, 2014

Day Break Illusion is the hardest kind of show to write about because it's not terrible and it's not good but instead falls dead center in average territory. It's pretty obvious the story here took heavy inspiration from Madoka. However, that's not a reason to dismiss the show out of hand. If you're going to take inspiration from another anime then you could make much worse choices than the excellent Madoka. However, Day Break Illusion does try to go in it's own direction creating it's own story elements and generally having it's own voice. The anime fails though because it doesn't manage to build up the characters or it's own mythos the way Madoka did. Madoka was great because it really made you feel for it's characters and their plight, as well as building up a surprisingly deep mythology for itself.

The story of Day Break is pretty simple girls with magic powers have to fight humans taken over by daemonia using the power of tarot cards. Like Madoka the story often takes on a very shounen attitude not often seen in magic girl anime. The action scenes all tend to be rather well done and world of the Astrolux where most of the battles take place is very reminiscent of the various witches' worlds in Madoka even if the Astrolux isn't nearly as visually interesting.

The plot of Day Break isn't bad, the problem is it gets shoved to the background after the second or third episode in favor of monster of the week antics until the last handful of episodes. These monster of the week episodes are meant as character development for the main quartet of girls, but they fail to add much depth to the characters. Instead these episodes are chock full of cliches and reinforce the cliche feeling the characters already had. In the main cast there's Akari- the overly sensitive chosen one, Luna- the weak willowy one, Seira- the angry emo one and Ginka- the annoying one. The episodes meant to develop them just pushes them further into their own cliches and does nothing to really endear these characters to the viewer. The rest of the plot is pushed into the last five episodes making it feel very rushed. Even worse this being a dark series there's a lot of bad shit that goes down in the last few episodes, but since the characters are so hard to care about it has little or no impact when something horrible happens to the characters. The anime just kind of lurches to a conclusion that elicited little more than a shrug out of me.

The art and animation were decent. Personally, I thought the character designs were awful with the exaggerated noddle limbed loli look, however everything else looked pretty good and the action was generally well animated. The characters all had pretty shrill voices which could get kind of grating, especially when they were upset or laughable when they were trying to be tough in fights. The opening, ending and general OST were all forgettable.

Overall this series is what it is. It's not good, it's not bad. Just a very average anime. As a Madoka clone I'd call it competent but not particularly inspired even if it had some good ideas of it's own. Unfortunately those ideas don't get nearly enough development. I would recommend this anime to someone looking for something a little different from the usual magic girl fare, but only if they've already seen Madoka.

Bestanimeserie's avatar By on Oct 25, 2013

Today I finished Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou wich was a pretty enjoyable watch though the show itself wasn't that good the main problem I had was with the characters mainly because there are different episode's spend on each character but they still show not that much development or you really don't care about them.

The animation was pretty good though the girls looked wayy too slim I mean look at their arms & legs it's a miracle they can stand up with those legs, the fighting scene's did look smooth and the special effects are pretty good as well.

The music was in my opinion the best thing about this show, it has great battle music but there are also a few cheery songs between it that really makes it great, the background music was quite good as I did notice it a few times. As for the OP and ED I both didn't really like them I do not know why but they weren't that catchy.

The story was pretty good i've never seen that much magical girl shows and I haven't seen madoka magica (i'm making that a priority) anyways it was a pretty good story and it had a closed ending I would have liked to see it a bit darker, but the happy ending wasn't that bad either.

The characters well I did mention their designs before it really was bad how they are designed atleast in my opinion, as for the characters themselves they were kinda dull they all had their own problems to conquer and even if some did I still didn't care much for them.

Overall this show was average i've seen better shows but it was worth my time (I think) even though the characters are shit the story is still pretty soild and the music is great now for my scores:

Animation: 6/10

Overall Score: 5.6

7.5/10 sound
5.6/10 overall
KinkyRice's avatar By on Oct 6, 2013

I'm a real fan of magical girl anime. This show really hit home with me on some parts because it really made you feel what the characters were feeling during turning points and crisises in the story line. Mainly, the thing with Fuyuna. I love how at the ending the two of them finally got to talk it out, and they both recieved some sort of closure. I feel like the story is incomplete though, as per usual with seasonal anime. Hopefully the series gets a season two, because I feel like more things should be explained. Like Akari's mom's past, and I would like the rest of the tarot users to be introduced into the storyline some how. Anyway over all, for it's magical girlness, and cute art style and theme I give it a pretty high rating because I enjoyed watching it even though I still have some questions unanswered. It reminds me a lot of Madoka and I really hope there's more to both series.