Ichigo 100%

Alt title: Strawberry 100%

Add review
babyeinstein12's avatar
Oct 12, 2009

One afternoon, something incredible happens to Manaka Junpei. As he steps onto the school roof, a beautiful girl sails down from the reddening sky, her skirt thrashing wildly in the wind as her scrumptious strawberry panties are displayed to the world. Embarrassed, she runs away, and the awestruck Junpei sets off on a mission to discover the girl’s identity. Sound interesting? Why, yes it does, even for me. What I don’t understand is how a show with such promising, ecchi-tastic beginnings can melt into one of the blandest pieces of fruit I’ve had the misfortune (or insanity) to sample.

The main reason for Ichigo 100%'s letdown is its lack – yes, lack – of ecchi. Barely springing off the whole “strawberry panties” concept, the plot instead putters off in another direction, where eventually it lands into the turgid gelatin of “just another bad harem anime.” Three additional girls are introduced, and the interplay between both themselves and the male protagonist gets the water running – only to dry up like a spent fountain. Ichigo 100%’s story evolves into nothing more than a fragmented, emotionally drained quadrangle: Junpei spends his days sharing “moments” with each of the girls in patterned succession, continues to monopolize their feelings, and wavers back and forth ad infinitum on which shallow female to choose. In the wise words of Junpei himself as he walks down the school hallway, “I can’t decide who’s the best!” And folks, that’s pretty much all there is to it.

While Junpei angsts about such momentous matters, brief instances of giggle-worthy ecchi fan service pop up every so often, keeping the show barely alive. As it stands, the rest of the plot remains so dull that these rare fan service moments stand in stark contrast and become the high points of the episode. Unfortunately, Ichigo 100% glosses over such deliciousness (not to mention completely discarding its strawberry motif after episode four). Instead, the script is devoted to four stagnant sub-plots, each concerning a different girl, which run throughout the show like an endlessly repeating 4-song CD track, albeit in slightly different forms at each scheduled occurrence. To cap off the refrigerated mess, Ichigo 100%’s senseless conclusion leaves absolutely no closure. To both the virgin fanboy and the romance junkie, this steaming pile of mediocrity will disappoint.

For a show aimed at young virginal males, I don’t see how the character designs could ever arouse even its most sexually frustrated viewers. In short, the main cast of Ichigo are ugly little creatures with shrunken eyes, overly round faces, and chubby, compact bodies. Okay, perhaps I’m slightly exaggerating, but strangely, the characters formulate in my mind off-screen as uglier versions of their drawn selves. Regardless of my personal foibles, a question should be considered: Are the characters pleasing to look at? I say not in the slightest.

The show does contain brief flashes of visual beauty in the form of sparkling glamour shots, glistening boobs, and occasional shading techniques. However, these passing moments are spread much too thinly over the more frequent animation style of Ichigo 100%: Immobile backgrounds set against characters’ moving mouths. We are left staring at an inert screen, while the characters hold cheap poses that change into other cheap poses every time they begin a new sentence. If the dialogue were to actually maintain my interest, these mishaps would be somewhat forgivable, but with such an abysmal script, it only radiates the feeling of a flipbook on slow-motion.

Let me make this clear: I would prefer listening to a banshee than having to stomach Ichigo’s soundtrack again. Ranging from inconsequential mallet pings to anachronistic epic fanfares to god-awful “da-da-da”s, the series’ choice in music embeds the already rotting storyline in an additional layer of mold. What makes the situation worse is that the selections, as obnoxious as they are, also catch the ear and continue to croon from one’s mental radio hours after last watching the show. Voice acting is passable, and I’ll even go so far as to say it succeeds tremendously if the aim of the seiyuu were to annoy the hell out of you. Kenichi Suzumura, for example, brings his characteristic lilt so beloved in Ouran High School Host Club to Ichigo and performs Junpei in such a way that I wanted to throttle the character.

Let us commence an exhaustive personality analysis for each principal cast member:

1) Toujou (Girl #1): intelligent and timid, typical “girl with glasses”

2) Kitaoji (Girl #2): your everyday voluptuous, loud-mouthed bitch

3) Nishino (Girl #3): ......

4) Yui (Girl #4): naive, cute childhood friend, has habit of undressing in her sleep (particularly when Junpei is sharing the bed)

5) Junpei (Boy): “I can’t decide who’s the best!” Oh, and also likes film.

6) Junpei’s buddies: loathsome, unabashed pervert-creepers

7) Female teacher: eye-popping mammaries

I think that just about covers it. For all the time Junpei spends with his harem, astoundingly little progress is made in developing these characters past their first-encounter stereotype. (A case can maybe form for Nishino). At first, it is pleasantly refreshing to witness Junpei’s primary interest directed towards sweet, quiet Toujou; very soon, however, the girl lapses into an overly sensitive bore. The rest of the cast, excepting the perverted teacher and perhaps Yui, become even more unappealing to see on screen, as their overly simplistic personas do nothing more than protract the episode. Needless to say, it’s an inauspicious sign if the chief factor that enlivens a character is the frequency of her panty shots.

Overall

In Ichigo 100%’s odorous wake, one will be left to ask in wonder, “Why on earth is the thing called what it is?” As the fascinating “strawberry panties” idea never blossoms, one should more likely revise the title as “Ichigo 20%,” or perhaps even more accurately, “Bad Harem Anime No. ___”. Bottom line: Please forgo this mound of strawberry-tinted vomit. The likes of Kanon (2006) or even True Tears will prove infinitely superior.

3.5/10 overall
mahius's avatar
Sep 15, 2014

Ichigo 100% is an ecchi harem, featuring some *sigh* panty shots, about a boy and a few romantic interests. Viewers be warned. Also when reading the following review, please take into account that I generally don't enjoy ecchi or harem anime and this will definitely affect my opinion of this anime. A few spoilers are required to explain some of the characters especially as most of the story revelations happens in the first few episodes.

Simple stuff first, sound is OK. This anime is only available in Japanese but thats fine. None of the voices are too annoying though Komiyama sounds like he's an old man sometimes. Music is OK too, though nothing extraordinary.

The animation itself was done rather well. The quality is good for something from 2005 and the style of anime was unepectedly pleasant, despite being an ecchi harem. It could have easily been a serious romance (and a decent one at that) without any of the ecchi (and harem) aspects. Of course there have been better animated series from that time period. Characters changing things about themselves like hairstyle, is done well and somewhat realistically.

Of the important characters, there's only 4 female characters and the main male character. Of these 5, the least important would be Yui Minamito. She is childhood friend of Junpei's who is a year younger and used to live next door. She has a habit of not only, sleeping in his room, but in his bed and she has a habit of sleep-stripping. Yes, she ends up in Junpei's bed and takes off her clothes while she sleeps, I don't need to say much of how shit an idea this is. The closest stereotype that would best describe this character is the annoying little sister. And that's accurate because she thankfully isn't actually a love interest in this anime. SPOILER< She even surprisingly in one instance, leaves to allow Junpei to be alone with a girl >SPOILER

Tsukasa Nishino is a blonde chick who Junpei confesses to at the beginning, as a joke expecting her to turn him down. SPOILER< She accepts the confession and becomes his girlfriend for a while, though they never progress and split due to long distance as she ends up at a different high school >SPOILER She is good at cooking and is a surprisingly pleasant character, being honest with Junpei and acting rather normal in general.

Satsuki Kitaoji is a girl in Junpei's class in high-school who initially seems to be a tsundere character. She actually turns out to be very honest to Junpei about her feelings (therefore not being tsundere) and is a bit agressive/hot-headed about it. She even seems clingy at times trying to seduce him and what not.

Aya Toujou is a shy, bookworm girl who aspires to be a writer. It's obvious fairly early on that she has feelings for Junpei but is too shy to ever reveal them to him. SPOILER< It turns out that she was the girl with the strawberry panties at the start and she looked different due to her hairstyle and lack of glasses >SPOILER Throughout the anime she writes a novel which Junpei enjoys reading and also helps with studying due to her smarts.

The main character is Junpei Manaka, who is a rather confusing character to be honest. Half the time he seems to be a serious nice guy with no malicious intent and the other time he seems to be a pervert with his mind in the gutter. I didn't like this mix of personality, IMO he should have been one or the other. It seems his dream in life is to make (innocent) movies with Toujou writing the scripts. He has one quirk which is cliche of harem animes: he is indecisive. Which results in this anime being pointless and terrible, since the viewer expects for a girl to be chosen by the end.

The other characters are mostly terrible, the female teacher unfortunately turns out to be rather perverted and the other male characters, except one, are all perverts. A disappointing supporting cast.

The story itself is rather fast paced intially with a lot going on and a lot of revelations being made. As mentioned, the main character has 3 girls to choose from. Once the characters get to high school though, things slow down and pretty much nothing develops. At least there is some story, but in the end most of it amounts to nothing. SPOILER<  He doesn't choose a girl and he never gets anywhere with them, not even a kiss. The ending may be left hanging, but there is an OVA sequel that shows what happens >SPOILER

Conclusion

A disappointment IMO, since it seemed that this anime had potential. It would have been multitudes better with an actual ending. Depsite being harem ecchi, for the most part it was tolerable and seemed chilled out. I was very surprised that I didn't hate this anime so much.

Family-friendliness Rating: 3.5/5 A few panty shots and some big boobs and near nudes here and there. These don't appear to often though (lower is better)

Overall Rating: 5/10 (higher is better)

aimelovez14's avatar
Mar 19, 2011

The series was never finished... very disapointing.

Also, the story line seemed VERY dragged out and in the end it just got very frustrating when he didn't deide on a girl.

I expected a lot more from this anime... plus you never find out who he ends up with, it just kind of stops.

I wouldn't recommend this anime... which sucks, I was expecting much more.

coolmasn's avatar
Jul 15, 2010

When my friend and I were talking about animes, he brought up this one, Ichigo 100%, and said he really enjoyed it and said i should watch it. i took his request and watched this 12 episode show, and boy do i disagree with him.

Story: The story's the same story you'd find in your average-day harem. A boy named Manaka goes to a Junior High School. He goes to the rooftop, and a girls somehow appears in front of him, with strawberry panties in his face. PREDICTABLE. He has no idea who this girl is. PREDICTABLE. In his class, he meets the smartest girl in school, Aya Toujou, and gets to know more about her. PREDICTABLE. It so turns out that Aya was the girl with the strawberry panties. PREDICTABLE. One of his friends, really liked this girl named Tsukasa Nishino. Tsukasa hears this, and says that she would never go out with the friend. The friend is really upset, and seeing how Manaka has never felt this way, he challenges Manaka to ask out Tsukasa. PREDICTABLE. He asks her out in a very unusual way. But even so, Tsukasa says yes. PREDICTABLE. Okday, I've pretty much explained the first two episodes, but later, Manaka, Aya, Tsukasa, Manaka's friends, and the rest go to high school. Manaka meets Satsuki Kataiouji, who becomes bigger later in the story, and childhood friend, Yui Minamito, who lives wiht Manaka for awhile. The sotry is very PREDICTABLE and it just seems like an average harem.

Art: The art is mediocre at best. This was made in 2005, but even so, other shows, like Naruto was out then, and had great art style. The art is Ichigo 100% is plain and not amusing. Everyone looks bland and the same. The only difference that i find in the characters is the haircolors.

Sound: Now the opening and ending themes are really good. The opening theme is a great song that makes you move your head around and can always put a smile on your face. The ending theme is also a fun one that makes you want to dance around. But even so, the voice actors were not strong. The only voice actor I found good was Satsuki's because she is very spunky and her voice actor does a good job of having a spunky voice. And the score wasn't strong. It has the same sexual music in the parts when characters "accidently" get their panties shown, and all the rest in just little piano music that you would find in every other harem.

Characters: None of the characters were memorable at all. Tsukasa was boirng to me, even though she does have fanbase. Satsuki's annoying, Aya's an OK character, but she needs some more story to her, Manaka's a retard just like every other main boy in harems, and Yui's just weird. None of them stood out.

OVerall, Ichigo 100% was a waste of my time. If you're into ecchi or harems, I highly recommend it for you. I'm not into harems that much, and that's probably why I didn't like it. And when you're watching Ichigo 100%, there will also be a few mindfucks in it to mess with you. I hated that as well. Ichigo 100% to me was crap. 4/10

galacticdude7's avatar
Dec 10, 2009

-Story-

The story for Ichigo 100% seemed to be a bit slower paced, but it was still good. Speed does not mean good, and I find that people who hate an anime because the plot is slow are being rather impatient and only want things to happen, instead of digging deeper. This was a series however that the story had to be based on the characters, which I felt that it did a pretty good job with for the most part, and it made the story interesting to watch. I liked how the story wasnt driven by Ecchi moments and were driven by the Characters instead. There are large gaps of time inbetween episodes, which can be confusing if you don't understand the time gaps. There were points where the plot seemed too formulamatic, and it did also seem like a cheesy love story. The early episodes seemed to be from a different anime from the later episodes. Overall I found the plot to be interesting, but it did seem at times that it was a bit too formulamatic.

-Animation-

The animation in  Ichigo 100% is ok, not the most stunning work in animation i've ever seen, but it was able to function without sending you out of the world of the story. There are some instances in which I thought the animation job could have been done better, but I'm not going to piss and moan about that too much.

-Characters-

For the most part I found the characters interesting, but felt a little too formulamatic. Toujo seemed to be a stereotypical girl next door, but she did have moments where she broke that mold. Satsuki was a loudmouth and annoying at times, yet she provided a decent love interest to compete with Toujo, and in the end she was a halfway decent character. Yui fit the mold of a childhood friend, and her presence didn't seem to add much to the story. I think she was unneccesarry to the story. Nishino was probablly the most intersting character in the whole series, yet her role seemed downplayed, which i find to be a shame. Junpei is your everyday lovable loser character, who really isnt that much of a loser. He seemed to be a little depressed at most times, which got a little bit annoying.

-Overall-

Ichigo 100% is an OK anime. There are certainly better animes out there, but this one doesn't suck beyond all reason. Its rather mediocre, but could be worth a chance to view.

6.5/10 characters