Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls

Wows's avatar By Wows on Oct 13, 2010

This story seem a little interesting, but the blood effects are so annoying. This is about 2 girls who were runaways from another territory and the student counsil tries to catch them. the dude found them inside his dojo and was attacked by them. he defeats them within seconds and the story starts there. but seriously, the blood affects are annoying. they use it as a censor, but sometimes they splat blood just for the hell of it. thats how i feel.

NoCheerios's avatar By NoCheerios on Dec 20, 2010

This show is nothing special. Right off the bat, you need to know there is nothing ground-breaking or revolutionary about it, but it makes for a decent "love conquers all" time killer.

Story: (7/10)

Like I said, there isn't really anything special about this anime. It's really kind've cheesy, actually. It's about some dude named Muneakira Yagyu who finds a naked lady and kisses her, which is when he finds out that his kisses give people master samurai powers(blatant fan-service ftw?).

The plot kinda pissed me off actually, because it was really just about an average guy fumbling around with a bunch of girls all with some weird master samurai plot slathered on top of it. It's really not that bad for a time-killer, but this story brings nothing new to the table, and at times the fan-service is a little too excessive.

In the end they start flying around like frekin' DBZ or something, and all because of the "power of love" and other really menial things like that.

Really the story isn't half-bad and it ends conclusively(even though it looks like prep for a 2nd season), so I can't give this any lower than a 7/10.

Animation: (8/10)

The animation was above average and about at the expected level(maybe a little above) for a 2010 anime.

But I really liked it, and for one reason and one reason only: They didn't show any funny parts, but not because of retarted camera-angles, but because of ACTUAL CENSORSHIP (:O)! I really don't care much for drawings of people running around in their birthday suits, so I'm glad they censored it because blatant nudity in anime pisses me off due to the fact that it's really just eye candy that they spent precious time drawing and dribbling over. Really, they could've used that time to actually devote to--oh, I dunno--PLOT?!

Anyway, now that I'm done with my hissy-fit, I can (kind've) calmly say that the animation was good enough for a 2010 anime with no big faults.

Sound: (7.5)

The sound, like the animation, isn't really anything too special. The soundtrack(that includes the OP and ED themes) was decent, but in all honesty it didn't attract my attention in particular so I wasn't listening too intently(hint-hint).

The voice acting, on the other hand, was done rather well. When the characters were in pain, they really sounded that way. When they were just about ready to rip your skull 'the hell outta your head, they freakin' SOUNDED that way. All in all, voice acting was above average, at LEAST.

But really seeing as the soundtrack wasn't too impressive, the highest I can rate the sound is with a nice ol' 7.5/10.

Characters: (7.75/10)

As you can tell by the score, they're better than a 7.5, but not quite an 8(such originality in my sentences, rite dawg :D?).

Their personalities were realistic enough, but I believe some weren't expanded upon quite enough. Muneakira's past is still blurry to me, and he's the goddam MAIN character.

But, you know enough about them to actually be interested in what their eventual fate will be.

The characters weren't half-bad in all honesty, but they weren't Shakespeare material either.

Overall: (7/10)

Like I said before, this show is a'ight, but it ain't got dat flair, dawg.

I just felt like they were stuffing so much story into such a small space(Roman Polanski style ;D), so it was kind've rushed.

Or, to quote the great Will Ferrell(A.K.A. Ron Burgundy), "This burrito is delicious, but it is filling."

7.5/10 sound
7.8/10 characters
lyraelx's avatar By lyraelx on Jan 2, 2011

Overview:

Scantily clad samurai  girls, action, comedy and fanservice galore. How could this possibly go wrong?

Story: (5/10)

The basic premise behind 'Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls' is the story of an atypical male harem lead character, who has the ability to transform girls into ... (wait for it.. wait for it... ) MASTER SAMURAI i.e. freaking strong god-like fighters by kissing them.

Wait? Is that the end of the plot behind this entire anime? Yes. That is the entire plot right there. You have 13 Episodes of a single guy surrounded by half naked girls giving fan-service and creating lewd, semi-comedic moments.

So the plot is your typical harem anime. Easy on the brain and easier on the eyes. The formula works, and it works to an extent here. The plot could have been so much more and made this anime epic, but it wasn't, anyway...

Animation: (9/10)

The Animation is awesome x 10. When I watched the first episode, I was like holy **** this anime is going to be epic. The level of detail and vividly unique inky art style makes for great watching. Graphics-wise you would be hard pressed to find any real flaws in the animation quality.

Imagine an exquisite ink painting. Now imagine it moves and flows whilst retaining all of its original beauty and grandure. This is the animation quality of Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls, and it kicks arse.

Sound: (7/10)

Solid music and sound effects set the appropriate tone and atmosphere. Good but not great. It does well and certainly engages to audience.

Characters: (7/10)

Please find enclosed in your harem anime kit the following:

1: A generic male lead who is easily embarressed and possesses special ability - check

2: A generic female character with the mental capacity of a 5 year old, likes to get half naked, clumsy and often finds herself in compromising situations with the male lead.

3: A generic ... ok i'll stop there.

This is a harem anime. The characters are stereotypical and generic harem anime characters. To an extent this works quite well. Their interactions and various fan-service encounters are nothing new, but still quite entertaining.

By no means is there any originality in the characters whatsoever, they are paper cut outs, cleverly molded and shaped to carry out their respective roles. Overall, characters are solid and entertaining.

Overall: (7/10)

If you're after a exquisitely animated series packed with action, comedy and fanservice 'Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls' may be for you If you don't care about terrible plot development.

DozyVan's avatar By DozyVan on Aug 20, 2011

Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls. Review

This is a typical Action Ecchi anime with over exaggerated Japanese style breasts
and semi-naked fight scenes. Although aimed primarily at guys, it includes
romance aspects to keep the viewer interested and to encourage girls into the fan
base.

This anime uses a water color effect for the background and incorporates ink blotches
that appear throughout the episodes. While this adds an interesting and original
approach, this could appear very messy and may reduce viewing enjoyment if viewed in lower quality.

This show is primarily aimed at a male audience; its fight scenes are not particularly
good, with most of their attraction in the use of semi-naked girls. However, there are
some good comedic scenes. It incorporates some slapstick humour typical of romantic
comedies (e.g. guy gets flattened by naked girl) and has a bit of harem love rivalry
which gives it a very funny comedy aspect.

If you don’t really get any enjoyment out of random Ecchi anime and are more into a
serious show that has a good constructive story then this anime is not for you. There is
very little to say for the plot of the show, it lacks direction and appears to be made up
randomly as it goes along.

Summary: Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls is an inconsistent anime that has no idea
what it really wants to be… if you are into your Ecchi then watch it, but even by
Ecchi standards there are better ones out there with a much deeper story and more
interesting characters.

In my personal opinion this anime had a good chance to do very well and failed to
reach my expectations. I would give it a 5/10, most of those points are for originality
and comedy.

Tachii's avatar By Tachii on Jan 12, 2012

I quite enjoyed this anime.

The story was really good with a few flaws though.  The most important is the lack action you would think of with a samurai anime. The ending was also not to great I think they should actually bring in a new season due to the fact we have no idea what happened to Amakusa Shiro.

The animation was quite well done.  I feel as if the artist put alot of effort into this anime.  Everything was well designed from the random beatings to actual fighting.  It deserves alot of respect.

The characters had overall great roles and put the anime were it is on my list.  Only a few slight issues though with Yagyu Muneakira such as lack of his fighting he is supposed to be a samurai and a general but I wish I could of seen him fight.

Overall this is a great anime well put together and well deserving of 5 stars.