Hunter x Hunter (2011)

thecrimsonclaw's avatar By thecrimsonclaw on Jun 10, 2014

Update: Upon watching the excellent Chimera Ant Arc, I can safely say my points in this review are reinforced even further.

Hunter x Hunter 2011 is the anime adaption of Yoshihiro Togashi's manga of the same name, and is also a reboot of the original anime adaption from 1999.

At the time of writing, I have watched up to episode 75, which marks the end of the Greed Island Arc.

This review will contain very few spoilers, and will not break down the story arcs, rather it will analyse the show as a whole and give my overall opinion of what I think so far.

So is Hunter x Hunter worth watching? Let's see shall we?

The Story:

The Premise:

Hunter x Hunter has a very interesting and well set up premise, that is simple to to follow from the get-go. The story follows Gon Freecss, a 12 year old kid from Whale Island, who's spent his life becoming one with nature and honing his reflexes and skills, excelling in activities such as fishing and things like that. He's an outdoor kid. He has but one goal in mind, to become a "Hunter". Despite the name, Hunters are not guys who go around hunting animals, but are elite members of society with great power and influence over the general population, and are a part of the Hunter Society, which are an organised group who regulate Hunters and what seems to be, everything that goes on everywhere. To become a Hunter, one must prove themselves in the "Hunter Exam" which is a difficult exam where only the most elite people can pass. But Gon does not seek glory, or treasure or fame, he seeks one thing: his Father, Ging, who left him on Whale Island as a baby. Ging happens to be a Hunter, and Gon wants to become a Hunter himself so he can seek out his Dad and find out why he chose being a Hunter over raising his own son.

And really, that's all I can explain without giving away a ridiculous amount of plot points and spoilers. Hunter x Hunter is a vast tale, told in such a way, that summarising the general story in a mere paragraph is frustratingly difficult.

Sure, it sounds like your typical shounen stuff that we've all seen before, but there's two things Hunter X Hunter has going for it that no other series of the same demographic really has.

Perfect Execution:

First of all, before I get to the main point here, Hunter x Hunter's source material - the manga - is written and illustrated by Yoshihiro Togashi the author of Yu Yu Hakusho, which is one of the greatest animes ever made. Togashi's been doing Manga a lot longer than most of the other popular Mangaka's of today (with the exception of Hiro Mashima, but Fairy Tail isn't particularly great right now) and his experience really shows with Hunter x Hunter.

But what really separates Hunter x Hunter from it's peers is not it's status, nor it's premise, but the execution of the plot itself, which single-handedly deconstructs the entire Shounen demographic and creates a unique series where the viewer is constantly surprised by unexpected plot twists, which not only create an emotional response within the viewer, but end up leaving an endless amount of questions and mystery of what in the fuck is going to happen next?!

Hunter x Hunter is just so well done, in that it leads the viewer into a false sense of security. There are countless times where it seems like this thing is about to happen, when suddenly what one thinks is about to happen is completely flipped on it's side and something completely unexpected and unforeseen happens instead. It takes advantage of Shounen cliches by appearing to set them up, only to do something new each and every time, and never following them through, which provides a unique take on what is becoming a stale, cut and paste genre, whilst keeping the elements that make the demographic so appealing in the first place. It's just so well done. It's an art in itself.

Pacing:

Despite being a on-going and long running anime series that is currently over 130 episodes in length, with no end in sight, Hunter x Hunter is very well paced, especially when one compares it to Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail and even One Piece. Something happens in every episode, with no story elements, plot points or developments ever feeling slow, boring, or padded at all. This is an anime where stuff happens all the time.

There was never a moment where I felt like I wished the pace was quickened, and the Story Arcs themselves are just the right length to keep them interesting enough to watch the whole way through.

Despite the anime's somewhat daunting length, it's surprising how fast this anime feels, due to the quick progression and perfectly paced storyline.

There is also no filler as of yet, which is mostly due to the anime having the entire manga from Volume 1 to adapt, due to this anime coming out in 2011 and the Manga coming out in 1997.

All in all, the anime is perfectly paced, especially when compared to the 1999 anime series, which was horribly paced and riddled with fillers.

The battles:

An important aspect to mention about Hunter x Hunter is it's take on the battle and fighting side of things.

Hunter x Hunter is different in the way it executes fights, in the sense that the fights themselves are almost never purely about: "Character A is stronger than Character B, but then Character B powers up and uses his ultimate spirit bomb attack which destroys fucking everything!!! Instead, the battles are all about strategy, tactics and skill.

For example, the main character Gon isn't all that strong to start with, yet his speed, agility and keen senses give him some edge in battles. He can quickly avoid attacks due to his size and speed, and his senses and adaptability allow him to analyse his opponents and devise some kind of counterattack.

Strategy and smarts are the key here, and everything is so well set up that it works every single time.

From looking at my previous "Character A and B" analogy, here's the short version: "Character A is stronger than Character B, so Character B observes his surroundings, and uses them to his advantage in order to surprise Character A, who then picks up on this at the last second and blocks the surprise, only for Character B to activate his special ability which just so happens to be tactical enough to trap an ensnare Character A in a trap which will render Character A's offense useless, and thus allow Character B to win, but then Character A will reveal a hidden technique that he had set up just incase causing Character B to lose the battle horribly because fuck one sided battles."

And yes, the battles are almost never one sided, if at all, to the point where you can't even be sure who'll win.

What makes Hunter x Hunter stand out, even more so than it's amazing plot, is it's characters.

While at a first glance, they appear to be typical Shounen tropes and cliches, the characters of this show are surprisingly well developed and unique to the demographic. Each character is host to an interesting backstory, impressive development and they all have clearly defined goals from the beginning (aside from Killua, who more than makes up for it with his ridiculous amounts of character development). The main cast all contain an air of mystery about them, and it's interesting to watch their stories and secrets unfold as the series goes on. Allow me to detail the four main protagonists below:

Gon Freecss: Gon is the main character of Hunter x Hunter, and is typical happy go lucky protagonist who will do anything and everything to achieve his goal of becoming a Hunter and finding his Father. Gon is interesting as far as main character goes, because of how he is. His actions are unpredictable, simply because his personality is unpredictable. Gon does what he wants where he wants.

One thing that makes Gon particularly likeable, is his lack of sad moments. Gon rarely does the typical Shounen Protagonist trait of: whine like a little bitch while everyone else does everything for me. He's no Naruto or Ichigo, he's an entirely different class of character because he just gets shit done and does it right. Even when Gon loses or fucks up, he just smiles and tries again until he succeeds. Gon doesn't view failure as a bad thing because in Gon's eyes: there's no such thing as failure.

It may sound simple, and maybe even a little cliche, but Gon is just interesting to watch, and his development is especially something to note. While he begins with a slow start, Gon develops dramatically, from a simple minded kid, with no experience, to a fast learning, powerful and incredibly strong individual. He is determined, stubborn and downright awesome. Gon has the one trait that most Shounen heroes are lacking these days and that is personality. He's just such a likeable and believable main character, without any flaws or stereotypes to be found in sight.

Killua Zoldyck: Killua is a young 12 year old boy that Gon meets during the Hunter Exam, and despite the mysterious air about him, and an obvious hostile nature, he and Gon become best friends in a flash.

Killua is a member of the famous Zoldyck family, a family of Assassins, and from an early age was exposed to a life of murder, torture and slaughter. Due to this, despite his appearance, and child-like nature, Killua is actually a cold blooded killer, who revels in blood and enjoys slaughter, making him a sharp contrast to Gon. He is very intelligent for his age and is well versed in various assassination techniques and has agility and stamina on the same levels as Gon does.

However, without saying much, Killua is easily the most interesting and well developed character of the series, solely because of his transition from a dark, psychopathic monster, into Gon's best friend and almost blood brother. The development of Killua is simply incredible, as it is not sudden, but is instead a gradual process that happens over time.

Kurapika Kurta: Kurapika is another protagonist, and befriends Gon and Leorio as they travel together to the Hunter Exam Site. Kurapika also desires to become a Hunter, in order to gain the power and knowledge to avenge his clan: The Kurta, who were slaughtered by an infamous band of thieves known as The Phantom Troupe, who murdered them for their Scarlet Eyes, which are said to be priceless and beautiful.

Yes, Kurapika was the inspiration for Sasuke Uchiha in Naruto and the Kurta Clan massacre was the inspiration for the Uchiha Clan Massacre. It's not even funny how Naruto blatantly copied this show in some areas.

Kurapika is all about revenge and vengeance, and although he mostly appears calm and collected, he is quick to anger, and can be fierce when provoked, especially when it involves his clan or the Troupe. when angered, his Scarlet eyes show themselves, and enhance his abilities to their maximum potential.

Kurapika is where a lot of the shows angst stems from, he has a dark past, and a cause of revenge, yet, unlike most shows, this doesn't get annoying or old. Why? Because it's not done every 5 seconds like Sasuke Uchiha.

In terms of development, Kurapika is also well developed. While he starts off as an emotionless, angsty guy who simply cares for nothing but vengeance, as the series progresses, he comes to terms with reality, and realises the people he still has matter more than his revenge. He would rather protect his friends than kill fucking everything ever because he's a well developed character unlike another character who was previously mentioned in the last paragraph.

Leorio Paradinight: Leorio is the final member of the main protagonists and is more minor than the rest.

He claims he wants to become a Hunter solely for the immense amount of money they can acquire and due to the social status and perks that come from being a Hunter, but in reality he has a noble reason behind what he is doing, and merely puts on this front to avoid talking about it.

Despite having the appearance of a middle aged man, Leorio is actually a teenager of 16, yet he acts on a level of maturity equal to that of his appearance. He is easily the least skilled fighter of the group, and isn't too bright either, but he possesses great stamina, determination and an almost unbreakable will that makes him so likeable. He's a very righteous character, who always looks out for others. He also serves as the comic relief character, and tends to do really stupid  shit.

His backstory at this point isn't well explained, and his goal has a ways to go, and therefore Leorio has yet to develop much, but his overall development is still there and is very gradual considering how little screen time he's gotten to himself.

Leorio is easily likeable, and remains an interesting character due to having the role of the "big brother" of the group. He keeps everyone together, and it's nice to see.

In regards to the stories villains, they are just as well developed and grounded as the protagonists, from the perverted, sexual deviant, yet cunning and incredibly powerful Hisoka, to the mysterious and ever onimous Phantom Troupe, the villains are always shadowed in mystery, and are just downright interesting.

They do unexpected things, show up when you least expect it, and more than anything, most of them are a lingering force, with hardly any of them getting beat and going: "That's it. I'm done with this." From what I've seen, the majority of the villains who have survived, are still doing bad shit and will probably come back for more in future arcs. I hope.

All in all, after a lengthy explanation: the characters of Hunter x Hunter are simply perfection. They are all interesting, unique, well developed, and more than anything else, they help quench the thirst for those viewers who want to see mysterious and interesting shit happen. It's just a pleasure to watch them all, be they heroes or villains. Everyone is interesting.

Art and Animation:

Hunter x Hunter was animated by Madhouse, who along with Production I.G are considered (by myself at least) to be the gods of animation when it comes to anime. The production values for this show, especially considering it's a long running anime, are simply incredible.

The art is unique, with each character being uniquely designed, brightly coloured, and detailed as possible. The locations in which the show takes place are also well done, with detailed backgrounds and colourful and vibrant environments. It's pure eyecandy, and it's gorgeous to look at. The vibrant and detailed art of the world really captures the sense and atmosphere of adventure that the show is trying to create, and in doing so, the show succeeds at it.

The art contains such amazing attention to detail, that everything from the characters to the locations are just beautiful to gaze upon.

The animation itself, is excellently done, with every frame captured beautifully, be it movement, combat, or just plain sitting and talking. Nothing is jumpy or jittery. Nothing is staticy or lazy. It's just all perfect. Naruto, Bleach and Fairy Tail should really take example from this show, because it's just done that much better.

The animation only increases as the show carries on each year, with a drastic improvement on the quality during the Heavens Arena Arc. I remember first seeing it and thinking: "This shit is awesome!"

All in all, the art is breathtaking.

Sound:

The music of this show is for the most part good. Most tracks are catchy and most are memorable too, but there's only a few that really stand out. The music can also tend to get a little repetitive, although I personally don't have a problem with it, because I really enjoy it.

The opening theme is, surprisingly for a long running series, the same one the whole way through and is called "Departure". I personally love it. It's catchy, upbeat, and really captures the atmosphere of the series. The accompanying opening sequences are always really great too, with my favourite being the "Heavens Arena Arc" opening. There is also a second version of the song used in some arcs. I prefer it.

The Ending themes are also really great. The first one, "Just Awake" is a strange, yet catchy one, that sounds like a mixture of Japanese Death Metal and Techno music. Although weird, I found it catchy and being a fan of Metal music, I enjoyed it. The second ending, "Hunting for your dream" is excellent and is epic as hell. There's just this really amazing feeling when it plays at the end of each episode. Finally, there's "Reason" which is again, excellent, and has a very calm and soothing feeling to it. Again, I loved it. i haven't progressed beyond episode 75, so I can't comment on the other ending songs yet. I might edit this when I do.

The voice acting is solid. All the characters are voiced appropriately. Gon sounds like the little kid he should, Hisoka sounds like a sexual deviant with a lust for blood... Everyone sounds perfect. However, due to lack of a dub, I watched it subtitled, in Japanese, and since that's not the language I fucking speak I'm not sure how good the acting really is. But it was perfect to me and brought the cast to life. Everyone sounds unique.

The sound effects are great. There's lots of banging, clanging, and everything else. They feel real, and they give the impact they should. They give what's happening on-screen more life.

Closing Comments:

On the surface "Hunter x Hunter 2011" appears to be nothing more than a typical Shounen stereotype we've grown accustomed to, but after taking one short look and diving into the unique world that Yoshihiro Togashi has constructed, it single-handedly decontructs the entire genre and provides a unique viewing experience with a well written and complex plot with unexpected developments at every major turn, interesting and well developed characters, breathtaking art and animation and a well done soundtrack with excellent voice acting and accompanying sound effects.

Yoshihiro Togashi has reminded us why he remains one of the greatest Mangaka's of all time. Hunter x Hunter is an absolute masterpiece, and I highly recommend it to anyone, whether you're a fan of Shounen or not I implore you: give it a chance.

You won't ever look back.

And now, it's scoring time:

Story: 10/10

Premise 3/3 - Interesting and unique, and sets up a lot of promises and plot elements

Pacing 3/3 - Well paced, with no breaks from the main progression and stuff happening all the time. Multiple stories unfold at once with no sense of separation

Conclusion (On an arc to arc basis) 4/4 - Has yet to end, but every arc ends on a satisfying conclusion, and creates new plot points to continue the experience and develop the main plot

Animation: 10/10

Artwork 3/3 - Colourful, detailed and lovely to look at. Simply amazing

Character Designs 3/3 - Every character is unique in appearance and looks different. The detail in them is astounding

Animation 4/4 - Considering it's a long running show that is produced weekly, the animation is perfect especially when compared to it's peers. Production values are high

Characters: 10/10

Personality 3/3 - Characters are all a joy to view, and interact well with each other

Development 3/3 - Insanely well developed to the point it's crazy. Especially Killua

Uniqueness 4/4 - Every character is completely unique with no stereotypes. Cast is also brimming with variety

Sound: 10/10

Voice Acting 4/4 - I speak English but the Japanese voice acting seemed perfect

Music 4/4 - Music captures the mood when it needs to, tracks are catchy, openings and endings are addictive and immersive. However, the soundtrack can be repetitive, that didn't bother me however

Sound Effects 2/2 - They bring stuff happening to life and they sound crisp and nice

Overall: 10/10

An absolute masterpiece! Why aren't you watching this?!

But hey, I hated "Free!" so my opinion probably doesn't matter to you people.

roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Jul 11, 2012

PROPER MENTALITY
This is the remake of a cult shonen show from 1999, which still remains a top favourite for thousands of people who followed it throughout the years. It was taken out of the spotlight as soon as Naruto and Bleach came around because its merits were always hinted, the artwork was very weak (manga included), and the story was left incomplete. But for many it is still a much superior show for its kind, since it is not direct in its themes and definitely not one of the same shonen stuff.

SCRIPT
I was not thrilled when I found out the director of the show would be Koujina Hiroshi. He has a lukewarm roster (Grenadier, Kiba, Nougami Neuro, Rainbow) and for a show so famous they could definitely have found someone with more interesting titles and experience to handle things. You can easily find many sloppy scenes and I can only blame the director for that. But it’s not like I hate it either; I just found it not as professional as it deserved.

The basic story is simple in overall, and trust me when I say it will not improve much. It never feels too epic and blood boiling. This does not make the show boring but rather unimpressive for those who expect complicated plots.
- The first arc (episodes 1 to 20) is about the adventure of the main heroes, as they try to pass a dangerous line of challenges in order to be given the title of Hunter, someone who can do all sorts of dangerous professions and is considered an elite agent. Each one of them wants to be a Hunter for different reasons; one is looking for his father, another to protect the world from threats, and a third just to get rich. Very basic stuff and eventually full of needless bull. You will facepalm at how pointless most of these challenges are after you realize that they do not reward skill but rather survival. That means, it’s fine as long as you can stay alive long enough (and preferably using Nen powers). Since the heroes have the typical uncanny shounen durability of withstanding everything, they mostly breeze through the challenges, while everybody else is thrown out with a few punches. Some of the situations will be rather interesting but in all, this arc serves mostly as introduction to the characters than anything else. And seriously, how hard is it to tell these people not to participate if they don’t have Nen powers?
Score: 6/10
- The second arc (episodes 21 to 25) is about Killua, one of the heroes, being mistreated by his family and the rest going for a house visit. So yes, all they want is to see their friend again and so risk their lives numerous times just for that. Not exactly exciting, is it? It is less exciting when you realize that they barely fight anyone important in that place before their friend is allowed to go see them. There is a line of super powerful opponents waiting for them, they have a hard time getting through the main gate and the butlers, and then it is all over. This arc serves to flesh out one of the characters and even that not by much. Short and kind meaningless.
Score: 5/10
- The third arc (episodes 26 to 36) is about the heroes taking part in a fighting tournament (yeah, here we go again) as means to improve their fighting skills. Get ready for boring long training sessions with the duels serving as nothing but practice for what they learned. It sure makes the whole Hunter exam to feel like it was there for kicks. I mean, if a Hunter is supposed to be an elite agent, anyone who hopes to pass should already be someone with lots of experience. But no, turns out that it was just rewarding survival and every person who passes needs to become strong AFTER he is nominated as an elite agent. Weird huh? Feels like the story escalates in reverse, instead of getting more epic along the way? Trust me, it gets worse later on. In the meantime, this is the part they introduce Nen, which is this show’s version of ki/reiatsu/chakra/power level/whatever. Unlike most versions where it is used as a single statistic through elements or volume, over here it is seen as four different aspects of the same principle (defence, attack, cancel, and willpower). This makes it feel somewhat more variant than simply say “My icicle attack is powerful but your weak flame shield blocks it” kind of Pokemon-style battles. They also introduce the six character classes to further make the whole thing feel like a videogame. This arc serves to establish superpowers based on a person’s characterization, and has a few interesting fights. Half the time though it’s just a long preachy training session.
Score: 6/10
- The fourth arc (episodes 37 to 58 ) is about an underground auction where Gon tries to raise money in order to find his father by… arm-wresting. Isn’t it weird how we went from fighting in a tournament to that? Anyways, it is actually more about his pal Kurapika getting all crazy and hunting a bunch of super killers who wiped out his family (this is something Kishimoto stole in Naruto with Sakuke and his Uchiha clan). It is by far the most brutal arc yet and has some extremely well done battles in it. It fleshes out Kurapika and several secondary characters considerably, and is very suspenseful. In fact, it is one of the best arcs you can find in any shonen in general. Thumbs up!
Score: 9/10
- The fifth arc (episodes 59 to 75) is about the characters hunting cards inside a videogame that can kill them. And yes, you are free to make all the Sword Art Online and Yugioh jokes you like, because the story downgraded further from arm-wrestling to playing videogames. It is rather disappointing after the amazing previous arc, since it now feels like the whole show is promoting videogames to kids. I mean the Nen system is pretty much a basic RPG statistics screen and here is where it shows better than ever. Another disappointing element is how the surviving villains from the previous arc seem to just be in this one for kicks. The whole revenge thing is completely gone and they degraded to cartoony bad guys. Also the Bomber villains of this arc lack charisma and are fairly forgettable. In fact, this whole arc is forgettable; it doesn’t offer anything once it’s over. It’s literally playing a bunch of deadly games with a children’s card game, and doing some really risky gambling here and there which leads to nothing of particular interest.
Score: 5/10
- The sixth arc (episodes 76 to 135) is about the characters hunting bugs. Yes, we moved from playing videogames to hunting bugs! Ok, actually these bugs are huge, powerful, and extremely deadly. And I mean that; they kill half of the secondary characters of this show. There is a lot of death and violence in this arc, and is also full of mind games and psychological warfare. It feels like the whole thing is ideas taken from Dragonball, (the king of the bugs is a Cell imitation and his minions behave like those of King Picolo) mixed with lots of Kaiji-level mind games. It is great as far as suspense goes but still has several hiccups, such as the pacing slowing down to almost Bleach levels, as well as several secondary battles being there to just stall time. There are also some really terribly handled asspulls towards the end of it to offer a convenient resolution that really damage the overall (aka, the Rose Bomb and Gon’s power up). As a whole though, the characters steal the show for being in a constant conflict with their emotions and goals. Another great arc but not as solid as the one with Kurapika from before.
Score: 8/10
- The seventh and last arc (episodes 136 to 148 ) is about elections. Yes, we moved from hunting bugs to voting; how exciting. Basically the Hunter Association is looking for a new leader and they ask all their members to vote for one. To the most part the plot is about the candidates ass-kissing each other and forming alliances so they can increase their vote, which is sort of fun, but completely retarded once you realize it was all pointless. Seriously, dozens of episodes were spent for nothing. This arc also introduces the strongest Hunters and instead of feeling thrilled to see these characters in action, you are just eye-rolling with their designs. THESE ARE NOT PEOPLE; THEY ARE POKEMON! Along with the pointless election intrigue and the Pokemon designs, we also have Killua trying to heal Gon from his injuries from the previous arc. And the way he wants to do that is by wishing to the Genie of the lamp. Oh, I’m sorry, I meant his sister/brother/something which was asspulled into the story. EYE-ROLLING! And of course there are lots of rules that need to be upheld for the wishes to become possible, but once again it’s all pointless since the ass-pulled sibling can grant an infinite amount of wishes because she/he/it loves onii-chan. EYE-ROLLING! Oh, and that gay clown goes around killing dozens of Hunters with the rest not giving a damn because they are busy trying to decide which Pokemon to vote for. EYE-ROLLING! And they are actually voting a lot a guy who has no idea of what to do with the association and just wants to help Gon. EYE-ROLLING! And Killua’s family are the worst handled characters in the whole show, since they are just standing there doing nothing when they are the strongest people in the world. EYE-ROLLING! And Kurapika on his quest of revenge against those cool assassins is completely forgotten by now. EYE-ROLLING! And Gon’s father finally stops trolling and appears, making this the highlight of the arc but after all this bullshit I just didn’t care much. Seriously, this arc is Naruto Ninja War level bad.
Score: 3/10

And then the show ends because Togashi is bored with his manga with his back pain excuse getting old years ago. Supposed he is making some dark continent arc now which is about exploring a place full of strong monsters. But really, what is there left to show now? Gon found his father so WHY IS THERE ANOTHER ARC? I am really not interested in seeing the Pokemon Hunters fighting more bugs; I just want to see a final fight where the Phantom Troupe, the Zoldyck, Kurapika, and the gay clown do a Battle Royale with Gon watching while eating popcorn next to his dad.

Do yourselves a favour and never expect much out of the plot. All the objectives are weak; they are poorly presented plot devices. Leorio never has a purpose in the whole series, Kurapika and the Spiders gang get forgotten, while Gon’s father is a total troll. I mean, really, he keeps giving missions to his son from afar with the promise of finding him but he keeps fooling him so he will keep looking. Yes, it is an excuse for Gon to continue becoming stronger but it is still one big troll and a lazy excuse to keep the plot going.

CAST
Instead of the story, focus on the main attraction of the series, the character traits; as well as how each one uses his special skills to overcome a challenge. And by skills don’t try to imagine fire breathing, creating copies of yourself, or flying. The powers in the show were to the most part far more basic and down to earth that that, such as heightened senses, use of psychology, and detective deduction procedure. The main hero for example uses a fishing rod as his main weapon. Sounds silly but he does all sorts of sneaky attacks with it by trying to outsmart the enemy with a lure and then hook him when he doesn’t expect it. So unlike most shonens, half of this show is not about raw power and delinquents blowing up mountains with their glowing aura, but brains and strategy. The ways they find to overcome a challenge are tactical and cunning. Of course this changes completely in the last arcs where everything becomes a clusterfuck of broken powers and asspulls, where mountains do blow up and characters are defined by their Pokemon appearance.

But until this awful degradation takes place, this show is good because it’s far from cool. Since the average shonen fan would expect amazing action, all this talking, plotting, and back stabbing will surely feel dull and will make many to be bored fast if they only want action. Those who manage to focus on the tactical part though will find it to be a far more elaborate and mature specimen than your silly average action show.
- It is not about dumb teenagers with superpowers kicking the crap out of each other.
- It is never trying to impress you with pseudo-romance, fan service, or poser special attacks.
- It seems to have the usual theme of trust and teamwork all shounens share and up to a point they indeed overcome most challenges based on that. At the same time though, each character is far more selfish that those in similar shows and thus it is quite easy to get mad with something and leave the team to go seek some crazy thing on his own. Thus you get far more unstable heroes, who don’t always blindly follow the group leader.
- At the same time the villains are not generic evil dudes who hate everything and plot amongst each other. You see they care and are willing to risk their lives to help their comrades.
- It is also one of the very few rare cases where there isn’t a single girl following the dudes around just for the heck of it. It’s only the males doing all the work as always, so who needs those useless token chicks that exist only for kiddie romances and fan service? To hell with them, this is a man’s world. Imagine how cool it is in the second arc where they plan to save a strong boy who has killed dozens of people without feeling a thing instead of some frail damsel in distress who always nags and cries. Or in the fourth arc where you literally have a female agent who dies without even making use of her powers. That stuff are one of a kind. The fifth arc has a very powerful woman but she is there as a short term mentor and not as a comrade.

It is true though that its merits are hard to spot, since it is subtle with the presentation. In the first two arcs the violence is quite childish and the mental breakdowns of the characters are done in a very light manner when they would easily be far cooler if they were looking crazier. The characters also follow the typical shonen silliness of yelling each others’ names all the time, even in situations where they don’t need to, as if they don’t want the audience to forget how they are called. They also do that annoying thing of explaining their strategies to the enemy, as if the audience is too dumb to get it. It is very commonplace as an exposition method in shonen but it still feels dumb to see it happening. The pace also makes the duration of a dramatic event to last too little in the early arcs and too long in the later. It’s weird to get into it.

Another indirect problem which prevents the show from becoming a smash hit is that it doesn’t have a gazillion immortal characters and most mysteries are answered rather fast. Unlike the so called Big Three of shonen, there is very little to talk about what may happen in the future or how the characters may develop later on, or even to have a huge variety of archetypes to choose your favourite from. That sort of crap are what made the Big Three so damn famous, even if in all honesty they are just shallow excuses for hyping caricatures that eventually don’t develop or have any important role in the show in general. HxH doesn’t go for that bait; it has a rather small cast and several of the characters die soon after they are introduced. It is what again makes it feel superior as it is not trying to cater everybody’s tastes and never promises things it will never deliver a decade later.

LEGACY
It is a very good shonen and I recommend it. It is by all means not a serious or complicating story, as it is just some youths trying to win in tournaments and play videogames. Each character is basically a bold stereotype (the idealist, the materialist, the kind one, etc) yet the way they interact is both smart and doesn’t drag the most basic actions for 10 episodes. It degrades into mediocrity towards the end but the journey is to the most part great.

Furthermore it is interesting to see how many of its ideas were later on copied by Naruto, so in a way it partially deserves the credit THAT silly ninja show got, which otherwise has nothing to do with ninjas and went under when it was all about Gaysuke. And anyways, all modern shonen are now all shit, One Piece included (animation is a joke and pacing is a snail). It is a great way for younger anime fans to see how more mature a decade old shonen was and how shitty all recent ones are (I am looking at you trollish Bleach, babish Fairy Tail, borish Ao no Exorcist, pissish Beelzebub, aimleish Toriko, coocooish Hitman Reborn, haremish Index, as well as all the rest of you). It is also a proper remake and not a lulz DBKai dried up re-airing with lesser context and incomplete story.

Despite my positive words about it, I must clarify that it is not a masterpiece. It is supposed to be for kids and has lots of childish violence even when it involves mass deaths of people, both benevolent and innocent (it’s not just generic evil henchmen that die). Hundreds of people are constantly dying in cartoony yet still horrible ways; it looks weird. Thus most situations feel too silly no matter how dangerous they appear to be and that takes out a lot out of the suspense the anime COULD have if it was more graphical in its violence. But it’s not like it is holding back a lot either, since each arc get progressively more violent than the previous ones. It also treats many of its objectives like a joke and has Pokemon designs, so it never manages to be taken seriously either.

cronosteso23's avatar By cronosteso23 on Sep 24, 2014

When you are watching the picture of the HxH 2011 profile maybe you will ask me: why is this stupid and childish anime, one of the top ranked?. Then, I am Going to answer you: If you are judging this anime for the picture, you are missing one of the best anime ever made.
Yeah, when you hear the comments about HxH 2011, you will hear the same things: It is not the typical shonen, this story has no cliches, it is dark and complex, although it is true, I prefer explain you why you should watch this anime.
BUT FIRST OF ALL I am Going to compare the 2011 version (Madhouse studio) and 99 version (Nippon animation), if you are NOT INTERESTED, I recommend you GO to the part marked with this sign: ---- .

The problem of the recent anime is the quality and this is a fact, when we are talking about LONG RUNNING SHONEN and the common result is a bad-admissible adaptation, examples like this could be: Naruto shippuden or Bleach because Pierrot (one of the worst studios) use fillers and lousy animation that damage the original work. Even One Piece has this problem (but not at the same level).
HxH is an exception of this rule or custom of the latest long running shonen but the affair is that exists the 99 version that had a "darker- more complex" style than the 2011 version, of course the animation of HxH 2011 is really good but the hand-drawn of 99 version has some extra points like this: Cell animation is colored by hand, usually by using pastel type of paints, and that is why the colors looks dark at many points. Digital animation uses computers to do that. The colors used are based on light, not paint, which means they use the additive method of light. OFF COURSE, THIS EXPLANATION ONLY APPLIES TO THE ORIGINAL ANIME (99) AND THE FIRST OVA (geney ryodan) because there are ovas called Greed Island BUT THEY ARE AN ACCEPTABLE ADAPTACION.
BOTH VERSIONS HAVE MISTAKES:
1. CENSORSHIP: 99 version is more censored than the 2011 version, in fact I would say that there is only one bloody scene that 99 version had it and the 2011 version has not: and this is starred by Killua in the Hunter Exam.
2. Story:
Mistakes: 99 version: more filler; the NEN is the name of the "energy" in the Hunter world and it is HARD TO UNDERSTAND for that reason the explanation of 99 version is limited and poor; (SPOILER GENEY RYODAN ARC) when Kurapika killed Ubog, his lament has no sense; Machi met Gon when he and hisoka were fighting in the tower (never happened); Mitou is the aunt of Gon (she is not the sister of his mother).

Mistake 2011 version: Kaito appears in the episode 76 (he should have appeared in the first episode); Madhouse changed the relationship between Gon and Kite; the first arc is pretty decent-regular.

----Character-History: HxH has adapted 339 chapter from manga in 148 anime episodes. Togashi is one of the best mangakas history, but he suffer of back aches for that reason the Manga continuously is on Hiatus.
the 148 episodes are divided in 6 arcs, that refresh this show with new characters and three-dimensional villains that makes of this anime an innovative and entertaining experience.
I love this show because it is realistic, for example we have 4 main characters, although Gon is the principal character, he is just a kid weak who is looking for his dad, But he is not the center of the show because we have other 3 characters: Killua, Kurapika, and Leorio that have their own purpose to becoming a Hunter.
everybody has character development, including the secondary characters because each character is important in the story and they are not just punching bags, actually they are a great help.

Battles: What it is more important the plot or the fights, if you answer is the plot, HxH is a good choice, but also HxH has fights but this is not the esence of HxH, therefore you should not watch HxH if you are expecting watch the typical fighting shonen anime.
the power doesnt mean an easy victory because HxH fights are smart and involve a lot of strategy. Raw power is a factor but it is not the factor that decides battle outcomes, actual power (nen abilities), experience and strategy are all taken into account.

Sound: Hunter x Hunter has a pretty good soundtrack but my critique is that Madhouse studios repeat the same osts, which makes it tedious. This is the weak spot of HxH 2011.

Conclusion: Now HxH the place that deserves it, owing the 2011 version. HxH 2011 is an intelligent anime with a fantastic history and characters, that make it unique and unpredictable
Sound:8
Story: 10
Art: 9
Character: 10
Enjoyment: 10
Overall: 10

9.7/10 overall
deathseek7's avatar By deathseek7 on Sep 23, 2014

As someone who has watched both the Hunter X Hunter adaptations and read the entirety of the manga currently released I have to say that the 2011 version is the single most well done anime adaptation of any manga I have ever had the pleasure of watching. Through out the entire 148 episodes they followed the manga to the dot. Through the entire anime they managed to keep a super good pace of combat, training, and relaxed life for the characters. No matter which arc you're watching they manage to have character to impress and woo you into favoring the anime even more, and even in the cases that the character who captured your heart dies you thirst for more because of how well done every even halfheartedly significant death is. The animation was in my opinion flawless from start to finish, captivating the feelings and powers of every single special attack and unique power that was conveyed through the manga. The way they animated every character and the presence of each character was also flawlessly well done catching each and every chill the characters delivered through the manga. They managed to go through this entire story until the most current arc of the manga without ever having to resort to fillers and has set a perfect example of an anime can be perfect without fillers & excessive ecchi. What could make it even more impressive? Instead of bullshitting the story until they could continue it they choose to put it on hold until they have more to work with. I look forward to the next adaptation of HxH because it will be yet another work of art. My only unsatisfied portion of this entire anime was their music choice and even that came to catch onto me as time went on. Hunter X Hunter(2011) is in my opinion one of the single most well balanced animes ever created and the easily one of the most perfectly well done shows I have seen. In my heart HxH is a 10/10 forever, only losing that .25 in review purely due to opening and ending music choices. Despite my lack of taste in chosen intro/closing music I feel the sound used to express this anime is only a hairs breath away from being the absolute best it could have been. Through the entire anime I never found any problems with how the sound was portrayed as it was perfectly placed and the voice actors chosen for everyone fitting their role in the story to the T. I have to thank the developers for bringing this gem of an anime to life for those of us who love HxH!

9.8/10 overall
sarah61695's avatar By sarah61695 on Sep 23, 2014

Let me just say this is my first anime review, and it's because hunter x hunter 2011 is one of my favorite anime. Top three actually (following naruto and fullmetal alchemist brotherhood), i finally fiinished the last epiosde today(9/23/14)and to say it filled my heart with butterflies, emotions, and finding the person who create this and tell them to continue this damn series (DONT YOU EVER STOP!!!). The anime is great fantastic actually, it drags me into the storyline and gets me attach to the characters quick and I mean it because until now I can never start on bleach. You can never hate the main characters not even the main bad guys, you just can't because they are all badasses. The music is beautiful and the animation is beautiful, I mean have you seen the manga? the art is like level one compare to the anime. Overall if i can, i recommended everyone to watch this funny, touching, and heartfullfilling anime.ALso, I usually don't like to buy dvd of any movies or anime because come on why buy when you can watch for free online any time you have internet access right? Well let's just say for the past 19 years of my life i only brought 2 dvd's of my favorite movie/anime of all time, one is howl's moving castle by studio ghibili and i love it. and second avatar, the last airbender. and i had promise myself that while watching hunter x hunter that when this series finish (WHY DID IT END???) i will get the dvd and i will keep my word and get all 148 episodes whenever it's avaiable.