Hiiro no Kakera: The Tamayori Princess Saga

lunarvixen26's avatar By on Jun 13, 2014

Hiiro no Kakera: The Tamayori Princess Saga is an anime that made a valiant effort to be an anime that would be an excellent visual display, with likeable characters and an enchanting fantasy storyline. I’d say it got about 1 and ½ out of the 3. Light spoilers ahead.

Story: The story is centered around Tamaki Kusaga; a descendant of the Tamayori Princess whom is tasked with keeping the seal on an ancient sword, Onikirimaru. To assist Tamaki with her task are 5 magical guardians that are bound by duty and blood to serve the Tamayori Princess. An opposing group of magic users “Logos” comes forth and challenges Tamaki and her guardians in order to take Onikirimaru.

The plot sets itself up to be very interesting and intricate. Sadly, that is just not what happens. The story loses pace, and to be honest, I got annoyed with it. The pace goes fast then too slow, then completely stagnant, then fast again, and so on. At some point I think the writers just thought they needed more comedy or more slice of life bits thrown in, which were unnecessary.

Animation: Beautiful for the most part. The fighting scenes have continuity and elegance that I can appreciate. The backgrounds are lovely and add depth to the scenes. The characters are definitely bishie- esque so enjoy.

Sound: The opening song I particularly enjoyed. The rest of the soundtrack was fitting as well. The actions scenes left something to be desired in my opinion, but it wasn’t mediocre.

Characters: Besides the story, this is where the anime had its biggest flaws. The development of the characters was completely erratic, particularly Takuma’s character. While others Yuuichi and Atori were one-dimensional and predictable. I can think of 3 episodes out of the 12 where absolutely nothing happened in character development. For a 12 episode anime I feel like this is ridiculous. All in all, the characters are likeable but ultimately a bit forgettable.

Overall: 5/10. The animation of Hiiro no Kakera is very beautiful and the soundtrack is well done. The plot has some good points, but without characters that develop consistently it’s hard to watch and enjoy. I think that younger anime watchers would enjoy this more than the seasoned anime watcher.

Redscarff07's avatar By on Oct 11, 2015

The main reason I watched this anime was becasue the animation was beautiful. I agree with previous reviews that saied this anime tried really hard; it did. I loved the premis, but the execution was lacking. It had a great idea, and if it was done differently, it would have been great. Overall, I admire the animation, but did not find it worht watching.

hhill's avatar By on Oct 8, 2015

OMG, so boring.  By the 5th episode in you will be rooting for the bad guys!  I gave up right after the heroine told the antagonist she should have asked politely before she tried to steal the magical whatever.  I'm 100% sure that whoever wrote the dub script pilfered the dialogue straight from the otome game.  Hiiro no Kakera is NOT funny, NOT exciting, and NOT even romanitic.  Take it from someone who will watch pretty much anything: This anime sucks - don't waste your time on it!

TallyCrow's avatar By on Dec 20, 2013

I found this out by searching for random anime… this came up and It was in dub... soo I was like "Why not!?"

The storyline was freaking perfect and unique and I haven’t really seen anything like this before in books or anime.

The animation and sound was done really well and went well with the anime and made it feel realistic like I was there with the characters.

The characters were developed so well and amazing and each one had flaws and things that they needed to work on. Thought I loved most characters 1 or 2 really bugged me...and felt like they weren’t needed…

My overall opinion of this anime was I loved it so much and I was excited to know that there was a second season.

Seority's avatar By on Apr 5, 2013

This is a beautiful start of what is to be an amazing anime.

To really understand this anime, go into this thinking that it is all prequal to the real story which is Hiiro no Kakera: Dai Ni Sho (2). I would suggest watching the first 3 and the last 3 episodes of this series.  All you really need to know is the characters and the base plot.  After you got it, please watch the next Hiiro no Kakera season. It's anime you do not want to pass up just because the fist season was inferior.