Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Alt titles: When They Cry - Higurashi

Sheex's avatar By Sheex on Jan 7, 2008

Cute girl with a cleaver; that carries a nice little ring to it, does it not?  While not fully accurate, it rather clearly depicts Higurashi no Naku Koro ni's brooding mixture of drama and horror.  As I generally make a point to avoid anything that possesses senseless slaughter with a ten-foot poll, I was quite surprised when I found myself drawn in to a show that appeared to have such elements.  To my elation, however, Higurashi quickly turned out to be anything but senseless, and actually relies on an intellectually involving storyline rather than flying limbs for its appeal.  While there is an undeniable plethora of violence and gore, it tends to be a product of the story and not so much a focus, perhaps shifting its appeal to an older, more mature demographic who doesn't usually find gore to be a favorite pastime.

That said, it's important to know that the anime follows an unusual pattern of storytelling and doesn't really make such information privy to the viewer at first glance.  Higurashi is adapted from a novel/game series in which the presentation starts with four "question" arcs and concludes for four "answer arcs;" the first season here covers the first four "question" arcs and two "answer" arcs.  While the individual arcs have related back story, characters, and the like, they are not chronologically sequential, which tends to throw viewers for a loop if they are not previously familiar with the franchise.  In fact, this happens to be one of the most interesting aspects of Higurashi, as, while still coherent, it makes the plot very hard to piece together in a logical fashion.  While trying to put together the pieces of the puzzle proves a rather daunting task, the series ends rather abruptly to lead into the second season; it was quite clear by that time, though, that the series was fully intended to be continued and concluded in additional season, so it was not much of a surprise.

As for story specifics, the fact that not much is really clear by the end of the first season and that the story follows a cumulative rather than a linear plot makes it difficult to really talk about the details of what happens.  The basic idea, though, is that a string of serial murders start occurring in a rural Japanese village every year on the night of the Watanagashi festival.  A boy by the name of Keiichi moves to the village a few weeks prior but knows nothing about the killings, but once he learns of the history he finds himself involved in the killing cycle as well.  From there the stories diverge, with each of the arcs having the characters react slightly differently to certain events which result in drastic differences to the overall plot.

Perhaps the most intriguing part of Higurashi, though, is that the story is presented from a supposedly objective, narrative point of view, but never comes across that way.  I found it very difficult to trust what I was watching as the truth, which certainly provides for a very intellectually tantalizing experience.  In fact, this pans out to be the case for quite a few scenarios, as paranoia and fear run rampant throughout, and sometimes one character's delusions can twist the story to appear one way when it in fact is quite different.  This surreal, twisted atmosphere really plays tricks with the mind, and I definitely found it to be Higurashi's greatest appeal.

Unlike most anime that aim for a combination of a scary/dramatic mood, Higurashi doesn't use many special lighting effects.  Instead, a coupling of voice acting along with character facial expressions tends to do the trick, and quite well at that.  Rena is especially disturbing in that one moment she's cute as a button, friendly, and open, yet the next, based almost exclusively on her face, she becomes a believable, cleaver-wielding sadist with a thirst for blood.  It's fairly obvious that the animation budget for Higurashi was rather poor, but this adaptation works quite well in conveying the moods so I can't really complain.

Though I haven't (and refuse to, for that matter) watched Elfen Lied, I get the feeling Higurashi carries much of the same graphic intensity.  There's an extraordinary amount of violence and gore, ranging from bludgeoning death to torture, so this is most definitely not appropriate for younger children or those who have a weak stomach.  A bit of dismemberment is also present, but none is shown physically onscreen, and that's generally where I draw my line when it comes to watching such things.

I loved the opening theme, especially since it so dauntingly fits the series.  The subtle, demi-human nature of the singer's voice, along with the phantasmal echoes behind it, really capitalize on the essence of the series, and provides for a very fitting introduction for each episode.  More importantly, where the series lacks in visual quality the voice actors pick up the slack, as it's certainly no easy feat to able to make your character sound both empathetic and terrifying at the same time.  Expectedly, there's an abundance of screaming and yelling, but it's kept to specific scenes and only where it's fitting, which showed a level of professionalism in the scriptwriting that is not often found in anime.  For a series that relies so heavily on the duplicitous personalities of its characters, the seiyuu did a fantastic job, and I'm nothing but pleased.

The insert music, unfortunately, left a bit to be desired, as it didn't really do much at all.  While it wasn't detrimental to any of the dramatic scenes, it was neither helpful, and for such a mood-oriented anime I would have preferred otherwise.  With such stupendous voice acting, a stronger emphasis on the musical score would have done wonders for heightening the emotional vibes within the series' many dramatic environments.

Remember the old saying, "Never judge a book by its cover?"  It had to be written in preparation for this series.  Depending on the circumstances, all of the characters, at one point or another, shift between sanity and insanity, and it provides for a rather chaotic environment that continues to grow in complexity as the series progresses.

Take Rena, for instance.  She's the typical warm-hearted, compassionate, friendly girl with a love for all things cute; simultaneously, however, she's a cleaver-wielding fanatic with a penchant for violence and bloodshed.  All the characters take on similar roles in some respect at one point or another, but it's important to note that it tends not to be random in nature - i.e. Rena just doesn't go around pointlessly hacking people up with an axe.  Each of the four "question" arcs takes on a "what if" role where the characters make different decisions at different points in time, and this generally results in one character being pushed beyond his/her mental breaking point in some fashion.

As the series progresses, the characters are continually expanded upon, which makes it refreshing from the typical horror flick.  Many of the characters, Rika especially, carry very strange and mysterious auras, and carry an uneasy sense about them throughout the different arcs.  Characters initially appearing innocent and naïve pan out to be anything but, and I found the series continually playing tricks with my brain when portraying them.  Perspective plays a huge role in influencing the viewer's feelings toward any given character, and as such I found myself continually surprised from scene to scene.  There's much more to each character than meets the eye, and the constant, consistent layering of their personalities over the progression of the series is nothing to scoff at; I can only imagine how much more warped my perceptions of each will be after I get through the second season.

Overall

Because Higurashi is an adaptation from a set of games and novels, it should be noted that the first season does not provide any sort of conclusion to its events.  While the first and second seasons must be watched in concurrence, I made a point to write this review before delving too far into the second installment.  Because the first season presents four "question" arcs and only two "answer" arcs, it's hard to pass final judgement on the series based on a matter of completeness.  Even so, by itself Higurashi certainly stands as an above-average horror anime that is backed by tangible, substantive drama, and should not be characterized as some sort of mindless gore-fest; nobody dies "just because."  Keeping in mind that I'm not really a fan of the genre, I might have scored this a bit low, but if you're into a somewhat intellectual mystery piece coupled with a lot of violence, I'd definitely say give it a shot.

CrystalGrace's avatar By CrystalGrace on Mar 23, 2014

(Review #1)

Mystery/Phcyological Trhriller/Horror animes can either be a homerun or an out of the park. As far as I know, there is just nearly no Mystery/Phcyological Trhriller/Horror that is an absolute miss to impress the anime fandom. The anime we're talking about today is one I think is an out of the park Mystery/Phcyological Trhriller/Horror anime I think you will enjoy. And that anime is named Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni along with it's second season, Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni Kai.

Additonal Notes:

An additonal note, Higurashi was originally a sound novel by 07thExpansion that was turned into a manga turned into a possibly ongoing anime series.

Higurashi is 18+ series which contains intense violence and foul language. For watching and reading Higurashi, viewer discretion is advised.

The plot of Higurashi is first baffling but makes sense as time goes on. Around June of 1983, Keiichi Maebara moves to a small village called Himinizawa and befriends four of his new classmate which are all female, who have their own club; Mion Sonozaki, Rena Ryugu, Rika Furude, and Satoko Houjou.

Coincidentley, Keiichi moved just in time for the yearly annual Watanagashi Festival in Himinizawa. At first, during the festival, everyone is happy. Keiichi, Mion, Rika, Satoko and Rena are all having fun and playing games and it's just so pleasant. However, after the festival, things get a little...eerie. Some of the residents become a little more...violent. And things happen...again and again. What is happening? What is going on? That is for us to figure out as we follow our six main charaters through bloody hell and mystery.

I recall this plot amazing, original and mysterious and we want to now what happens with it's twists and turns.

Charaters:

The charaters of Higurashi are as much as baffling, too. They provide clues to solve the mystery and give us that feeling of them acting so realistic and heart-warming. The main charaters are at first just fun to be around with; Mion is the class represenitive who is eccentric and tomboyish but does have a girly heart; Rena is the kind and playful girl and can go a little crazy when she sees anything "kawaii"; Satoko is the one who plays tricks on everyone, especially Keiichi; Rika is Satoko's best friend who has a secret of her own; and Keiichi is a cool, a little laid-back but kind-hearted boy. After the festival however, everyone seems to turn on eachother behind closed doors.

The side charaters are even more mysterious and provide even more clues about Himinizawa's past and what's with all this violence and deaths.

I enjoy the charaters a lot.

Sound:

Higurashi's music consists of eerie and beautiful music for the games and/or anime. It had a lot of choir, piano, violin and other instruments. All the eerie parts of the music will leave a chill down your spine and everlasting nightmares. The beautiful parts of the music, I will be specfically be speaking about main charater themes, the Dear You's. They all sound just the same except with different instruments and lyrics as they talk about how they feel during the entire series. The Dear You's are sung by their actual voice actors which is really awesome to hear.

The music is powerful and leaves a big inpact to your ears. Higurashi has countless soundtracks.

Animation:

The animation for Higurashi is definately at first the weakest part of the entire series. The original sound novel series for the characters were not all that great (but that didn't stop us from playing it). The anime shows a simalarity. It was animated by Studio Deen back in 2006 and 2006 animation was starting to feel more realistic than your average 1990's animation, but Higurashi was a tad bit behind. However as time went on, Studio Deen's animation became much more professional and Higurashi's was much more artistic and even very beautiful.

Needles to say, the animation was the weakest part, but I never cared anyway.

Overall:

If you are a big fan of the Mystery/Phcyological Trhriller/Horror animes and you were looking for one to watch, this would be the highest recomendation I would go for. Higurashi is nearly perfect in every way (in my personal opinion) and it would be nice for you to give it a try. I don't care if you read the sound novels, manga or even watch two seasons of the anime (not counting the other seasons Rei, Kira and possibly Kaku or live action movies), it's all fine with me. I suggest you check it out, you might just find a liking to it's gruesome but yet beautiful ways...

(If there are any questions or corrections about this review or Higurashi, contact me! ;D)

8.1/10 animation
9.2/10 overall
Sianeka's avatar By Sianeka on Nov 25, 2014

SECRET SANTA PARTICIPATION REVIEW

Posting this review as part of my Secret Santa 2014 participation.

There are TEN PAGES of reviews for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (aka When They Cry)  so another review really isn't necessary to add more opinionated commentary for this series. But, I am committed to do reviews of the anime I watch as participation in the 2014 Secret Santa event. So, here is my review. Warning: some slight spoilers are included, although I will try to keep the plot events and major story reveals hidden.

Higurashi is one of those rare horror anime that actually IS a horror story.  This one not only has the suspense associated with a good horror tale, but also the explicit violence and gore that have come to be associated with a modern good horror tale. Fans of bloody, brutal, savage thrillfests of horror will enjoy Higurashi. Higurashi is a tense apprehensive murder mystery tale of plot-twisting danger and chills.

The story that unfolds concerns a boy and his female school friends living in a remote and cursed Japanese village, Hinamizawa. This village has a deadly secret, and every year during the village's annual festival this manifests with the addition of new murders and missing persons.

This story is told murder mystery style, with the big mystery being Oyashiro-sama's Curse. There has been a series of murder/disappearances that occur every year during the local Cotton-Drifting Festival, and these serial tragedies are attributed to being victims of the curse. Annually, one person dies and one person disappears without fail and both the murder and disappearance remain unsolved or only partially or unsatisfactorily resolved.

Higurashi gives us an unusual presentation of facts and hints regarding the mystery - the plot is not revealed sequentially nor linearly. So, instead of being told what has happened and when, we see bits and pieces of the story occur in random order. The viewer must deduce the facts and try to solve the mystery by receiving information and clues a little at a time. This prolongues the story and adds suspense but also generates confusion.

For instance, we see a shocking and violently brutal murder committed in Episode 4. One is still reeling from the unanticipated event going into Episode 5, only to see both victim and murderer alive and well and getting along splendidly.  Without warning, the story freely timeskips back and forth between timelines, and also between realities, giving viewers a chance to see "what would happen if this occurred instead of that". It's a kind of unique style of presenting the facts and revealing the story behind the curse, and the history of the village.  But it is very confusing, leaving the viewer, especially at first, totally disoriented and wondering what the heck is going on.

Also, because of this style of presentation, some parts of the storyline (those that remain consistent for purposes of maintaining continuity between the various plots) are repeated again and again.  How many times do we need to see main character rant against being kept out in the dark about the village curse that everyone knows about except him? How many times do we need to hear speculation about Satoshi Hojo's mysterious actions and disappearance?

This plot device also inures one a bit to the shocking and savage violence that occurs. Seeing and hearing about the same murder committed time and time again, played out again and again within various scenarios and seen from varying viewpoints, tends to lessen the shock value of the murder's occurrence. A bit.  The murders are often so cruelly violent and explicitly ferocious and dire that they STILL provide shock value, horror and suspense, even upon repetition.

The animation in Higurashi is standard, sometimes decent quality and sometimes sub-par. There are no special lighting effects used to amplify the horror atmosphere, nor any attempt to play up or play down the gruesome results of the murders. The character designs for the female leads tend to be toward moe cliches, with big heads and huge eyes that often fill with tears of sympathy upon hearing the latest horror or when commiserating with a friend on the latest tragedies life has offered up (as it continually does on a frequent basis). These "cute" characters all have their normal version and the "insane" version - the drawing and animation that comes out when each character displays the violent and murderous side of their personality.  Each character has such a side, and whenever that side of their psyche comes out, it comes out accompanied by the "insane" face: with distorted expression, a look with big wild eyes, leering grin and accompanied by maniacal laughter.

This recurring device is utilized to the point of annoyance - each and every murder revealed on the screen is committed by one of the characters in "insane" mode who is gleefully ranting and laughing hysterically as they commit unspeakable acts in front of us.

The homicidal ranting and laughing is overdone, and is one of the weakest points in both the animation and sound departments. Overall sound effects and background music is actually pretty good, quite effective at setting the thrilling and eerie tonal atmosphere this story needs.  But "insane mode" effects are over-the-top overdone, and presage each violent act.  The viewer knows something horrific is going to occur when the character on the screen suddenly puts on their insane face and begins yelling and ranting uncontrollably, and laughing the stereotypical "bad guy" murder laugh. Each and every time.

It gets pretty old pretty quickly and is one of the few ways this anime goes wrong. There aren't too many missteps this anime takes, but this is one of the biggest, and it is compounded by being repeated over and over.

Still, this story is interesting and involving and told in this unique manner, quite intriguing. The cast remains fresh and is developed well, as we get to know each character in many various incantations and situations.

The "ending" doesn't really resolve many of the outstanding questions, but instead just implies the answers - the viewers are left to decide for themselves what has actually occurred and why.  I hear this rather ambiguous and open-ended plot ending is concluded satisfactorily in the next season but I have not yet seen this. As a stand alone ending, the story resolves a bit fuzzily and leaves us with a vague and inconclusive story resolution.

Take a chance on watching this! Higurashi is a worthwhile and enjoyable horror mystery viewing event, with a unique presentation and a memorable storyline (once you understand what is going on).  Warning that there are many explicitly graphic depictions of violence, murder, and mayhem. It may leave you confused and puzzled, but not sorry you took the ride.

noname0302's avatar By noname0302 on Jul 29, 2014

I honestly dont understand the hype about this. Most people consider this the best horror series around, but I find it way inferior compared to others(Ghost Hunt, Shiki). Its a pretty tipical case. Black Butler has the same sindrome(at least the first few episodes do). We get 18 minutes of useless, boring stuff, just to get 2-3 minutes of awesomeness. I understand the concept. They show us a friendly, everyday place with everyday people, this creates a comfortable kind of atmosphere. Thus, the few minutes in which we experience genuine terror have a much greater effect then they should. My biggest problem is, that the series doesnt seem to speed up at all. I was expecting the creators to drop the act after a few episodes. For example, we have Shiki. They start out the same way. Mostly frindly with small portions of terror, but after the forst few episodes, even if thing dont evolve too fast, they drop the act. This is one of my problems. You get too much filelr in every episode and too little "action". 4/10

This wouldnt have been such a big problem if at least the animation was appealing. But it is far from it. The characters dont even look humanoid, the girls look like those ornaments with the big head you put in a car. If the visuals were better, I wouldnt have stopped watching this for sure. I understand that this is a specific style of animation, but some styles are good, others are not stylish, just bad. I have to admint though that the backgrounds look much better, this is what actually looks good about this anime. So overall the animation is not catastrophic, but if you dont like the storytelling methods then the animation is too weak to get you hooked. 5.5/10

The sounds: this is something I actually liked. 9/10

The characters. Another pro. I actually liked most of the characters. They are interesting, complex, and scary(if the should be). Basically they all do their job, but nothing speacial. Of course I didnt watch enough to get to know them too well, so saying nothing special is probaly harsh. 7/10

Overall. They have some really good ideas, they had it all visualized in their head, but the way they did it wasnt good enough for me. Its a shame actually, beacuse with better animation and faster pace(less filler) this would probably be one of my favorite horrors. This way, its watchable, but not realy worth it.

If you have the same problems with this as I do, I highly recommend Ghost Hunt, which is way better in the mentioned ascpect(the only problem is that its a bit too child-friendly). I also recommend Shiki. It look much better, at least as scary as this and even though has a few really slow moving parts, it still has a lot more action.

5/10

5.5/10 animation
KillerZEK87's avatar By KillerZEK87 on Sep 17, 2012

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (a.k.a. When They Cry) is one of those unique Anime’s where you have no idea what is going on at first and then you grow to love it all the way towards it’s psychotic ending. When I discovered that this Anime is based off of a murder mystery video game the random moments when the characters came back to life sort of made more sense to me.

The story overall is not too bad. There are like 3 or 4 stories that play throughout the 26 episodes; some follow around Keiichi Maebara (our main guy heroin) Mion and Shion Sonozaki (twins who are totally fucked up) and the following cast consist of Rena Ryugu (who constantly wants to take things home lol) Satoko Houjou (who has a wonderful uncle) and Rika Furude (who has a bigger part in the sequel). With plenty of horror themes and blood to go around it’s really an enjoyable experience and there never really is a dull moment. It gets you hooked right off the bat which I really love.

The animation is sleek and nice; the scenes dealing with blood and gore are absolutely fantastic and keep your eyes glued to the screen. The animation really sets the mood for just about every scene; one minute you can be in a foreboding atmosphere the next the group can be enjoying themselves at school and the color then are bright and beautiful. It’s simply amazing how quick the scenes can change at times (especially in the character facial expressions).

The opening and ending music is done nicely but what really makes this show shine is the eerie soundtrack throughout the series, just as the animation sets the mood to send shivers down your spine the music enhances that feeling and takes it to another extreme. During some torture scenes alone I found myself not blinking for minutes on end lol, this is what the music will do to you.

For the most part the characters are just average, don’t get me wrong I like them and grew to care for these characters but to me they didn’t have anything special going on other than being fucked up in the head or just trying to stay alive. I watched this particular Anime subtitled and I suggest you do the same; I tried to watch one episode of the dub and just couldn’t watch it. I was so used to them subbed that I couldn’t watch it dubbed. Each character is unique in their ways such as Satoko’s evil laugh, Rika’s “Nippa’s” , Rena’s cute voice and always insisting on taking cute things home, Mion’s leadership in her club, and Keiichi having his moments of triumph and being particularly awesome with a baseball bat. (Sorry but Shion to me was just a twin with a bad case of insanity, no offense to any Shion lovers out there.)

Overall I’d watch this again and recommend this to any horror/murder mystery fan. The show hooks you in right from the beginning, the characters are likeable just enough for you to care about them, and there are plenty of twists in this series to make you go WTF. If you hate blood and torture then stay away, but if you like to get a little sadistic with your Anime’s then check this one out. You will not be disappointed.