High School DxD

sobeit's avatar By on Mar 31, 2012

For an Ecchi harem, it has a very interesting story and that's one of the primary reasons I gave it a high grade in this area, it doesn't stack up very well compared to other genres but for what it is, it is extremely entertaining. It has fun with itself and the author seems to be having a lot of fun writing it. They've setup an interesting shounen-style premise with an interesting cast of characters and backgrounds that play off of each other nicely.

Issei being alpha

Just Issei in alpha mode

There are entire worlds left unexplored in the first season and if you've read the light novels you'd know there's plenty of things left in this universe. The world is massive, the characters are endless and I don't think there's ever a moment when I was bored. One of the best things about DxD is it's ability to completely lose it's mind, as seen in one of the first episodes where a devil is depicted as shooting lasers out of her funbags. The level of comedy in this show is pretty great too and there's plenty to laugh at both now, and in the future when another season arrives.

Priorities man

Priorities, man.

All that said, the level of fanservice is infinity level so those who are annoyed by it, you'll just have to stay away. It's rampant, there's bare-chested nudity and a lot of it. This doesn't bug me much at all and I've honestly ignored the whole thing and genuinely enjoy the story.

Why cant I hold all this plot?

Why can't I hold all this plot?

The animation quality is pretty good, better than other of it's genre but sadly it doesn't stack up quite as well against other big name titles. I am convinced it has some of the best animation the ecchi/harem/comedy department will ever see but it doesn't stack up so well against it's epic shounen adventure counterparts.

That... quality

I have no problems with this

The battle scenes are fairly well animated but it seems like they've saved some of the budget there to expand on uhm, other fronts if you catch my drift. Many of the ecchi scenes are animated to professional quality while the battle scenes left more to be desired. Don't get me wrong, the battle scenes aren't bad but the fact that you can clearly see more attention to detail in the character's chest areas compared to critical battles is something that should be pointed out.

Just the local DxD megazord

Just your friendly neighborhood Megazord

The characters are voiced well, nothing seems particularly out of place; The OP for DxD is sort of generic but the music isn't that bad. The ED I'm convinced is one of the best this season (and not just for the epic fanservice), the song is incredibly catchy and fits the series well in both the fun and lyrics department. Not much to say about the sound really, everything fits like it should but there's nothing exceptionally spectacular about it.

Oh hi

What's that? GIFs can't make sounds you say?

The characters are a big part of the story and I've already voiced my opinion on them but I'll try to get a little more specific. Kiba, probably the weakest character of the bunch is Issei's rival yet is one of the few of the group who treats Issei with any amount of respect - not much to say about him, his development would be in the second season (Light novels 3-4) but as it stands he's a pretty weak and undeveloped character.

Kiba the pure knight wont take Rias virginity

Though popular with the ladies outside of the club, within the club Kiba is friendzone level 99

Akeno is an S&M freak who likes torturing enemies and of course, is sexy. Koneko is a stoic cat lady who constantly calls Issei out for being a gigantic pervert.

Koneko declares all perverts must die, my life is in serious danger.

Ashia is the resident pure maiden who's being influenced by Rias' perverted devil ways, she lusts for Issei and yet doesn't know enough about relations between man and woman to do much about it. Rias is burdened by her family name and is in an arranged marriage situation, falls in love with our resident pervert when he saves her from that fate.

You'll never take my red headed large breasted woman

Then there's Issei, our main character. He's a pervert, he ends up in funny situations and rubs his sexual exploits in his friends' faces. He wants to touch any and all sexual parts of the opposite sex. He's awesome in that he ends up getting a harem which he's totally unaware of because he doesn't believe women can be genuinely interested in him, when they all eventually fall victim to his pure hearted pervert ways. This all sounds pretty bland and natural for the genre, but they all come together quite beautifully (no pun intended) and it ends up being a laugh riot. There's no typical harem cockblocking or shenanigans here. The enemies are generally all generic except the bosses, but are interesting enough to make you wonder.

Our resident douchebag, Raiser

Overall

Let's be honest, DxD isn't going to be winning any awards but it's entertaining as all hell. It's completely insane, shameless and interesting. I've not had this much fun watching an anime in a while. The fun factor is in it's ability to tell an interesting story and it's comedy, there's also some mighty powerful fanservice for those interested in that. (yes, they have bare uncensored breasts, let's shoehorn that in right now) You'll have a good time watching this anime if you can judge the anime based on it's merits in this genre over the level of fan service. Yes, if you hate fan service, you will be annoyed to the maximum extent but otherwise, it's really very fun. I suggest picking it up and waiting for a second season, it's been ranked pretty high in the preorders and sales department and it's sure to have another season (or two, hopefully). It's not the best anime this season but it's certainly not even close to the worst. Give it a shot.

Flint879's avatar By on Nov 16, 2013

High School DxD is defintely a strange anime at it's core. I've watched ecchi before, but none to this extent. Most of it was intentional and it turned me off to certain aspects of this anime.

THE STORY IS: Issei is a pervert in every shape, way, and form. Him and his 2 other friends dream, fantasize, and never pass up a chance to see the girls at school naked. One day, Issei comes across a girl who wants to go out with him. He obviously says yes and they embark on a date. At the end of the date, the girl turns out to be a Fallen Angel and kills Issei. While dying, he is brought back to life by Rias Gremory, the head of the Gremory Demon Clan. Issei must now cope with his newly found life as a demon and a slave to Rias.

To be clear, the only reason I watched this is because I thought the story was intriguing. It had some really intense points, but mostly towards the end of the anime. The only thing that turned me off about the story is the mass amount of nudity. I understand it's an ecchi and that is what it entails, but there is a limit. I wanted to see how the story developed and I got a good story with a LOT of boobs and nudity. The story, honestly, starts out slow and never really goes anywhere until about halfway through. Even then, it felt rushed and never took some necessary time to put the boobs on the back burner and let the story come forward and take the lime light. Overall the story was very well done and worth the watch through.

THE ANIMATION was top notch! Very clean, crisp, and not too colorful nor drab. Honestly, I thought the animation was probably the best animation I have seen so far in an anime. Also considering that it is a newer anime, it still is very clean cut.

THE SOUND was also pretty good. The voice acting was where it needed to be. The sound effects were on par. It was good overall.

THE CHARACTERS were hit or miss. Issei is a good character at some points, but most of the time he is rather annoying with his crazy obsession with boobs. If they toned Issei's boob-crazed personality down from off the scale to a more tolerable amount here and there, he would've been a great character. Rias is a great female lead. She keeps Issei and everyone else in their place and defintely stands out as a leader. Everyone else has their own persona, but don't really take the forfront as much as Issei, Rias, and Asia. I would like to have known more about Konoko and Aneko and take a peek into their backgrounds a bit to see where they came from and why there are the way they are.

OVERALL High School DxD was a pretty good anime to watch. It has a slow start to an intriguing plot, but it was very good overall. As I stated earlier, my only complaint was the mass plethora of nudity. Some was unnecessary and some was whatever, but I didn't mind it except towards the end where it became all too frequent in situations that didn't call for it.

DJCooL4's avatar By on Jun 6, 2012

Based off of one viewing of the series

Story- 6

High School DxD was a supernatural anime based of light novels released in 2012. It follows the story of Issei Hyodo. Issei was a regular high school student that was asked out by a fellow classmate that turned out to be a fallen angel and killed him. He was resurrected by Rias Gremory, another fellow classmate who happens to be a devil, as a devil to be her servant. The plot then becomes about Issei trying to understand the power within him that was the reason for him to be killed originally.

The story is lacking here. It tries to incorporate religion, philosophy, and chess (for some odd reason) all while being as perverted as possible. In this regard, I am reminded of Highschool of the Dead. If the show lost the majority of its perverseness, it would gain much more in decent plot. When major events happened, it would always have a cookie-cutter solution that is so common among anime such as this. There is nothing of substance here, just a lot of ecchi empty promises of what could have been.

Animation- 7

It’s unfair to compare this show to Shaft’s Nisemonogatari, but among other show that came out along side High School DxD, it comes off as average. There are no fluid motions, extravagant scenes, exotic color palettes, or character models that stand out to make you remember this anime. The style fits perfectly well for sight gags, but in more serious moments, it is exceedingly average. More effort is placed on the show’s ecchi moments. Commercial break slide are filled with pictures of the main girls in scantily clad outfits, ecchi scenes are superior in animation to the rest of the show, and the outro…you can only watch it to understand (the intro isn’t animated half as well).

Sounds- 7

The sounds are very stereotypical of an anime like this. You get the boob bounce sounds you except from ecchi, dramatic music in situation that are suppose to be dramatic, etc. the intro also fits to the show’s theme. The outro music kills the plot’s seriousness every time it’s played to throw you back into ecchi mode. The best part of this show, sound wise, are the voice actors. The voice actors are good in this series and fit the roles well.

Characters-5

The voice acting is good, but the characters take away from that quality. Instead of characters of substance, we have dime-a-dozen characters that are so common in an action/ecchi show that a dime is too much for them.

Issei Hyodo- the main character and perverted hero

Rias Gremory- the large breasted beauty that the main characters actions revolve around

Asia Argento- the soft spoken extremely kind girl that’s head over heels in love with the main character

Akeno Himejima- the girl you never see that gets upset and always has a smile on her face

Koneko Tojo- the emotionless loli who thinks extremely lowly of the main character

Yuto Kiba- the pretty boy thrown in to add extra testosterone to the show (the throw away character)

Concept, Creativity, and Originality- 7.5

Though the concept of the show has been done in some form before, it was very engrossing; the story of angels, devils, and fallen angels fighting to survive draws you in. Any attempt that could have been put into this aspect is substituted for as much perverseness as possible. To the shows strength, they show finds new ways to show its ecchi scenes that are unique to this series.

Overall- 6.5

I feel that some enjoyment can be had from the show, but it is only if you dumb yourself down to enjoy it. However if you hold it up to its true potential, then you’ll have five major problems with the series:

1. The plot wasn’t capitalized on

2. Ecchi was turned up to 11

3. Too many character stereotypes

4. The premise suffers lack of clarity

5. Any serious moment at the end of the show is ruined by the outro song.

The series had so much potential, but failed to capitalize on it and we are left with a mediocre/sub-par anime.

Slayare's avatar By on Apr 23, 2014

High School DxD filled a section of myself. Although there may be a lot of "exposure", the anime itself captures a great story with an assortment of characters, with good illustrations. Worth the watch as it is hillariously interesting.

Altair3140's avatar By on Apr 14, 2015

Anyone calling High School DxD is "typical romantic comedy ecchi harem anime" is wrong. But they are also right. It does everything ecchi harem can do, with a bit of spice to it, (Ahem) so it's not all ecchi harem, it includes more interesting sequences on the way. I couldn't get any pictures that were meaningful to the review. (All you can find is Rias Gremory's grocery bags of mens' dreams and wonders) So there are no pictures, but the important thing is; Is High School DxD worth it?

STORY

SO MUCH PLOT I CAN'T HANDLE IT HNNGGGGGG!

DxD's story is quite simply, really. I mean, the main character HAS to be average, right? Surprisingly, not as average as I thought, when I watched it I was surprised that he's not the most normal character I've seen in an anime in a long time. He's in a trio, not just any trio, a "Pervert Trio." Too unwilling to admit it, he decides that he will get a girlfriend and fondle her boobs all day. But no, he's also a gentle man, as a cute girl suddenly appears and says "Will you date me?" Obviously he agrees, and unfortunately for him, doesn't get to fondle her boobs all day. Instead, she kills him, she was a fallen angel, yadayadayada. (This is about half as complicated as Final Fantasy VII) He wakes up and it's all normal, until ANOTHER FALLEN ANGEL appears and attempts to kill him too. Then he wakes up again, naked, next to Rias Gremory, naked... That's episode 1...

It only gets more complicated, really. It's not as simple as the other ecchi harem series overall. It's not an amazing story, but it does the job. The ending ties up EVERYTHING. It could have ended there, and still work... But then Season 2 happened, which was good, but it ends in a cliffhanger, which means Season 3 came out. Pretty sure this is an excuse to see all the girls get into every possible fetishized event possible. At least it gets the job done, but other than that, it could have no story, or subtitles, and still make as much sense.

ANIMATION

It's rather standard. Not bad, just standard. The characters are drawn sexily, and the background and lighting are accurate. I don't understand why some points are filtered in a red shade. (usually at night action scenes, there are a lot of those) Actually, every kind of scene has a different color shade, ask me and I'll come up with it! Promise!

SOUND

I believe that this show has a very good soundtrack. Especially battle music, most of which are just epic. The voice actors are pretty passionate, as every character sounds fit with their design. Some songs are a bit boring though, and usually those songs are played more than the good ones. While the dub cast (Someone insisted I rewatch it dub) is quite hilarious, the quality of the voice actors are a bit lacking for some characters, more so with the side characters. Also, there is a creepy jell-o sound for every time some character's boobs jiggle. Unless that actually happens, correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm a shameful virgin who sits on a computer more than anything else. The music is good, it has sexy voice actresses, and meh everything else. (Boosto)

CHARACTERS

The main cast is like every typical harem, you have 1-2 really hot girls, the go-with-the-flow younger girl who is always passive and stuff, the mean loli, and the guy that gets 1st place more than the harem-lord does. There are a few differences, as in most typical harem shows, the 1-2 really hot girls everyone wants to tap is usually mean to perverts, except in DxD's case, they're so OPEN!

The not-main cast is pretty boring, I would say. They're more static than a sloth in a closed room, and they're just plain. More plain than a plain bagel. Call them a pizza without cheese, or sauce, or pizza. Yeah, they're a cardboard small-size pizza box. Some of the not-main cast is just PLAIN awesome though. like Azazel, a manly man who has the body of every guy on the Old Spice commercials COMBINED. (EDIT: I realized that Azazel was only in High School DxD NEW and BorN, but he is still like a total bro, which is why i keep this sentence here, just to get my point across...) So, the main cast is great, and most of the not-main cast is a pizza containing no pizza.

FINAL VERDICT

Is High School DxD worth it? It depends on who you are. If you're looking for manservice, there is no manservice, only fanservice. If you're looking for fanservice, you've hit a pot of gold. However, if you're looking for an epic series with intense psychological conspiracies and people dying when they're killed, back away slowly...

High School DxD isn't bad, it's just not great. Calling it the best ecchi is a HUGE overstatement. Calling it mediocre is just WRONG. High School DxD (More like High School DD OH!!!) is a good time if you're looking for ecchi.

High School DxD completely-coincidentally gets a 6.9/10