Hetalia: Axis Powers

outakufangirl66's avatar By on Jun 27, 2015

Hetalia is a brilliant anime and though it might not be for everyone I encourage you to give it a try, It is very humorus and I enjoyed watching it immensely. I think they might have gone a bit off the rails in season 5 'a beautiful world' but other than tht I highly recomend it!

akaristar's avatar By on Oct 7, 2014

This anime is one of the most creative and humorous productions that I have ever seen! The anime mirrors history in an enjoyable manner, and every so often an abstract idea is also placed into the mix to make things more interesting, like !Chibitalia or !Nekotalia (References make sense once you watch the show) The show itself personifies every nation as a person, and provides a more fictional view of history based on the way that they interact with each other. In all honesty, this is worth anyone's time for multiple reasons.

Things that are done well:

• Dubbed Version: The voice actors for the English dub are superb. All the accents are fantastic and also create a new layer of impressiveness in the anime.
  • Characters: All of the characters are well thought out and accurate when you hold them to the light of history.
  • Humor: Jokes and suggestive themes are laced in almost naturally to provide a more fitting and symbolic context, however, if you don't like crude or mild humor, sometimes you may be offended by the way that specific characters are implied to be.
  • Episode length: It's nice that everything is wrapped up into five minutes for each episode. If they weren't, it would be a very long and drawn out series, and it helps to get you engaged in the show because of the fact that episodes are not standard length.

Things you may not like:

• The stereotypes: A lot of the stereotypes are used to personify each nation, and if you're really stiff about your personal identity based off of nationality, you may not like the way some characters are portrayed. However, if you loosen up and learn to laugh, and don't take the anime seriously, you shouldn't have a problem.
  • The implications: Like I said before, there is a lot of suggestive humor in the anime. Some of the characters have kinks in their tendencies that may be addressed once or twice, and when you get to Hetalia: World Series or Hetalia: The Beautiful World, it seems like more of these jokes are further emphasized. If you have sensitivities to these types of jokes, you might want to stray away from this anime.
  • The limitations: Not all of the nations are shown in this particular anime. The major ones are Italy, Germany, Japan, England, Russia, China, France, and America. A few others might pop in here or there, but you'll be happy to know that more nations are shown and talked about in the following two series after this one, so just keep on watching!

Additional things to note:

The fandom for this group of series, that includes Axis Powers, World Series, and The Beautiful World, as well as the movie, Paint it White, has grown larger and larger over the years because of the possibilities that seem to be allowed by each character composition. Because this is just a group of characteristics of persona associated with a physical person, lots of different roleplays and fanfictions can be written using different alternate universes. If you are into writing fanfiction or increasing your writing skill, this anime will allow you to exercise your ability to take different characters at your disposal and write intricate and fascinating stories with them. The creator of Hetalia almost lets you take the world into your own hands in this sense. Overall, I would say that Hetalia is a great perspective changer, and it starts with the Axis Powers series.

kokiricubone's avatar By on Aug 6, 2014

This anime is a good laugh and is at the same time a history lesson. Every country is portrayed as a single person in the time of ww1 and ww2 I think and follows Italys adventures (I believe Hetalia translates to Italy due to the theme song sounding like Im Hetalia)

The story isn't that great of a deal the main focus is the charcters

Also this show is quite stereotypical so watch with caution

Brightstone's avatar By on Jul 30, 2014

I LOVE this anime. Although most of it is eather to make fun of a country, teach you about it, or it's just there for entertainment and randomness - some of the episodes it acually teaches you about history in a way that you can really remember it! (I survived history class because of it.) It even mentions micronations! Like Sealand!! (Who is adorable, but mine)

When ever I have to do a project on a country, I think about Hetalia and about the character. Sometimes I even put them on the cover. And if the teachers lucky and it's a power point, I put a (non-inappropriate) episode or part of one in it.

Over all this anime is so funny! And if you listen closely, there are a lot of funny refrences in it also.

Grach's avatar By on Jan 12, 2014

A review and watching five years in the making...

So...been hearing about Hetalia pretty much since it came out - and have seen quite a bit of merchandise made for the series as well. When it was finally discovered on this streaming site, it was a sure-fire watch...

The "plot" of the show is pretty simple - you have the stereotypes of the different nations of the world (Latvia, Estonia, Lichtenstein, the U.S., Russia, and so on) doing random stuff with history thrown in. For example, one episode told about the Mongol invasions of Russia during that nation's infancy (which later turns into the joke of why Russia is so psychotic). It is episodic, but the antics tend to make each five minute episode go fast - and you are bound to at least laugh once or twice during the series' run.

The music for the series is heavily catchy; the first ending song alone is enough to worm its way into your head. Let alone the second! But otherwise, the music is classical/instrumental in nature. This adds to the effect without subtracting for the most part. The same can be said for the animation; it is rather cutesy and heartwaring, especially the "chibi" add-ins that are done now and then.

In all, it's a decent comedy involving stereotyped versions of the world's nations all wrapped up in a cutesy package.

7.5/10 characters