Hetalia: Axis Powers

Brightstone's avatar By Brightstone on Jul 30, 2014

I LOVE this anime. Although most of it is eather to make fun of a country, teach you about it, or it's just there for entertainment and randomness - some of the episodes it acually teaches you about history in a way that you can really remember it! (I survived history class because of it.) It even mentions micronations! Like Sealand!! (Who is adorable, but mine)

When ever I have to do a project on a country, I think about Hetalia and about the character. Sometimes I even put them on the cover. And if the teachers lucky and it's a power point, I put a (non-inappropriate) episode or part of one in it.

Over all this anime is so funny! And if you listen closely, there are a lot of funny refrences in it also.

wizzzard's avatar By wizzzard on Apr 10, 2010

Although this anime is altogether a complete mockery of general history, the amusing stereotypes and the light-heartedness create a wholly enjoyable feel to this satire and this is what makes Axis Powers Hetalia watch-able to any anime fan, of any nationality.

The brief length of episodes prevents the story from becoming confusing and the quirky take on the characterisation of each country or continent suggests a kind of humour only the anime industry can provide. The moe anthropomorphism of each country is an ingenious and original idea encouraging anime fans to widen their interest range away from the more conventional themes of 'good guy edging on Mary Sue type character who defeats huge undead monsters with mutant arm or weapon that is clearly compensating for something'.

This anime provides a refreshing alternative as do it's very likeable characters. The animation is to a very high standard and one which fan artists continue to mimic since it's creation. The voice actors are each very fitting and I still struggle to see how someone can produce a tone like that of Italy's in Chibitalia. Despite this, I believe that Funimation are sure to make a decent job of it's redubbing though I do think it's a shame many people refuse to watch subs or visa versa.

The ending theme however caught me off guard and I literally face-palmed myself out of the sheer comicality of Ne Ne Papa Ne Ne Mama. Though disregarding my initial reaction I come to the same conclusion as the single commenter on gametrailers.com : 'Just as awesome as the show'.

8.5/10 story
9.5/10 animation
yasmin09's avatar By yasmin09 on Aug 10, 2010

Story: I was rather skeptical about watching an anime on history. I just find it to be so dull yet somehow this anime made me interested in World History, particularly the before and after of World War II. It just does 5 minute segments, so nothing gets drawn out or convuluted. The countries personfied by people are represented in the most comical fashion with hints towards yaoi, which I'm not usually a fan of but I thought was so funny and endearing in here, and with jokes that are so politically incorrect but that's what makes this anime great. Not only could I not stop laughing when watching this anime, I actually wanted to learn more about European history after watching each episode so I could understand the references. Since each episode is so short, I kept wanting to watch more and more. I was hooked from beginning to end and did not get bored during any of the episodes.

Animation: The animation of the people are great, representing the stereotypes of each country to the fullest such as with Aryan Germany with his blue eyes and blond hair or Modelesque France with his flowing gold locks. The colors were bold, struck out, and fit the vibrant atmosphere of the show. The people's expressions were hilarious and added to the comical effect. The background though was clearly lacking in some areas making the scenery somewhat bland and it repeatedly showed so I knocked off some points for that. Some action sequences were repeated, but suprisingly it had me laughing each time so I did not take off too much for that.

Sound: The voice actors for this show were amazing. I am not exaggerating when I say that. They added so much personality and humor in every line that was uttered. Their little expressions stuck such as when Italy said Pasta! in the first episode. Of course, I adored the voices for Chibitalia. The ending song was so bizarre at first that I could not help but start laughing at the sheer absurdity of it but after that I happened to find it very catchy. I loved each of the renditions of the songs from each country. The background music in general was not bad but it was rather lackluster and forgettable which is the only reason I knocked off points for sound.

Characters: The are the absolute best part of the show, making it worth watching. It is hard not to feel for Chibi Italy and Holy Roman Empire or invisible Canada or shudder when creepy Russia appears or sympathize with Switzerland and Latvia or wonder why America seems so annoying or chuckle at the humorously narcissitic France. They start off as extreme representations of their country's stereotypes and somhow get more extreme as the anime goes along yet their personality shines through adding depth and character to each of them so no one ever really falls flat.

Overall: It is an anime that everyone of all ages can watch and manages to blend education and humor so perfectly that I was never left feeling bored. I only wanted to keep watching episode after episode. The only disappointment that I found in this anime was the abrupt ending. I was hoping for some more closure but given the style of the episodes, I should have realized that they would end with some thing random but humorous just like every other episode. That's not too say that was a necessarily a bad thing. I just happen to like closure but I was still a fan of the ending regardless. It didn't take away the rest of the enjoyment I felt watching the anime. I can't stress enough that this is an absolute must-see.

9.5/10 story
9.5/10 characters
nasreen10's avatar By nasreen10 on Aug 10, 2010

Story: I hate history. It's my least favorite subject but I just find it incredibly boring. However, Hetalia made me want to go look up WW1 and WW1 and everything in between just so that I could understand all the references. That's really saying something. It was hilarious and the skits were just priceless. It was offensive but funny at the same time. I loved the relationships and chibitalia is just the cutest thing on the face of anime. I also don't like shoenen-ai at all but I found the hinted romance within the show just endearing. I am really sad that I don't understand the references but that's one of my only flaws with this. The show is also a good length for it's content. Small about 5 minute episodes made the show go by quickly but it's great if you need a small break. They definitely should show Hetalia at school because it just makes history so much better.

Animation: Hetalia isn't the epitome of animation but it does a good job with what's it's going for. The character designs are fitting and memorable. The scenes are colorful and the ending is one of my favorite endings. I loved the ways the characters looked and moved. Nowhere close to perfect but easy on the eyes. Very enjoyable to say the least.

Sound: Hetalia has an AMAZING VA cast. All the seiyuus fit their roles do the characters so much justice. They may not have accents but they embody the character heart and soul. The background music was generic but the ending was terrific. I loved how they had personal touches whenever a different VA sang it. It's so nice to hear.

Characters: I love them. All of them. They all have their little niches but they're all so likable and stereotypical but funny. There may not be a lot of development with some characters but I don't really find it necessary. The relationships that do need developing are done and done quite well. They happen to be one of my favorite casts.

Overall: I heard a lot of hype about Hetalia and it's well deserved. It's got comedy and knowledge. Who knew you could learn so much like I never knew Sealand was actually a micronation. You can learn and laugh and be throughly entertained all at once. Go check out.

7.5/10 animation
8.5/10 sound
kokiricubone's avatar By kokiricubone on Aug 6, 2014

This anime is a good laugh and is at the same time a history lesson. Every country is portrayed as a single person in the time of ww1 and ww2 I think and follows Italys adventures (I believe Hetalia translates to Italy due to the theme song sounding like Im Hetalia)

The story isn't that great of a deal the main focus is the charcters

Also this show is quite stereotypical so watch with caution