Hetalia: Axis Powers

akaristar's avatar By on Oct 7, 2014

This anime is one of the most creative and humorous productions that I have ever seen! The anime mirrors history in an enjoyable manner, and every so often an abstract idea is also placed into the mix to make things more interesting, like !Chibitalia or !Nekotalia (References make sense once you watch the show) The show itself personifies every nation as a person, and provides a more fictional view of history based on the way that they interact with each other. In all honesty, this is worth anyone's time for multiple reasons.

Things that are done well:

• Dubbed Version: The voice actors for the English dub are superb. All the accents are fantastic and also create a new layer of impressiveness in the anime.
  • Characters: All of the characters are well thought out and accurate when you hold them to the light of history.
  • Humor: Jokes and suggestive themes are laced in almost naturally to provide a more fitting and symbolic context, however, if you don't like crude or mild humor, sometimes you may be offended by the way that specific characters are implied to be.
  • Episode length: It's nice that everything is wrapped up into five minutes for each episode. If they weren't, it would be a very long and drawn out series, and it helps to get you engaged in the show because of the fact that episodes are not standard length.

Things you may not like:

• The stereotypes: A lot of the stereotypes are used to personify each nation, and if you're really stiff about your personal identity based off of nationality, you may not like the way some characters are portrayed. However, if you loosen up and learn to laugh, and don't take the anime seriously, you shouldn't have a problem.
  • The implications: Like I said before, there is a lot of suggestive humor in the anime. Some of the characters have kinks in their tendencies that may be addressed once or twice, and when you get to Hetalia: World Series or Hetalia: The Beautiful World, it seems like more of these jokes are further emphasized. If you have sensitivities to these types of jokes, you might want to stray away from this anime.
  • The limitations: Not all of the nations are shown in this particular anime. The major ones are Italy, Germany, Japan, England, Russia, China, France, and America. A few others might pop in here or there, but you'll be happy to know that more nations are shown and talked about in the following two series after this one, so just keep on watching!

Additional things to note:

The fandom for this group of series, that includes Axis Powers, World Series, and The Beautiful World, as well as the movie, Paint it White, has grown larger and larger over the years because of the possibilities that seem to be allowed by each character composition. Because this is just a group of characteristics of persona associated with a physical person, lots of different roleplays and fanfictions can be written using different alternate universes. If you are into writing fanfiction or increasing your writing skill, this anime will allow you to exercise your ability to take different characters at your disposal and write intricate and fascinating stories with them. The creator of Hetalia almost lets you take the world into your own hands in this sense. Overall, I would say that Hetalia is a great perspective changer, and it starts with the Axis Powers series.

kokiricubone's avatar By on Aug 6, 2014

This anime is a good laugh and is at the same time a history lesson. Every country is portrayed as a single person in the time of ww1 and ww2 I think and follows Italys adventures (I believe Hetalia translates to Italy due to the theme song sounding like Im Hetalia)

The story isn't that great of a deal the main focus is the charcters

Also this show is quite stereotypical so watch with caution

nasreen10's avatar By on Aug 10, 2010

Story: I hate history. It's my least favorite subject but I just find it incredibly boring. However, Hetalia made me want to go look up WW1 and WW1 and everything in between just so that I could understand all the references. That's really saying something. It was hilarious and the skits were just priceless. It was offensive but funny at the same time. I loved the relationships and chibitalia is just the cutest thing on the face of anime. I also don't like shoenen-ai at all but I found the hinted romance within the show just endearing. I am really sad that I don't understand the references but that's one of my only flaws with this. The show is also a good length for it's content. Small about 5 minute episodes made the show go by quickly but it's great if you need a small break. They definitely should show Hetalia at school because it just makes history so much better.

Animation: Hetalia isn't the epitome of animation but it does a good job with what's it's going for. The character designs are fitting and memorable. The scenes are colorful and the ending is one of my favorite endings. I loved the ways the characters looked and moved. Nowhere close to perfect but easy on the eyes. Very enjoyable to say the least.

Sound: Hetalia has an AMAZING VA cast. All the seiyuus fit their roles do the characters so much justice. They may not have accents but they embody the character heart and soul. The background music was generic but the ending was terrific. I loved how they had personal touches whenever a different VA sang it. It's so nice to hear.

Characters: I love them. All of them. They all have their little niches but they're all so likable and stereotypical but funny. There may not be a lot of development with some characters but I don't really find it necessary. The relationships that do need developing are done and done quite well. They happen to be one of my favorite casts.

Overall: I heard a lot of hype about Hetalia and it's well deserved. It's got comedy and knowledge. Who knew you could learn so much like I never knew Sealand was actually a micronation. You can learn and laugh and be throughly entertained all at once. Go check out.

7.5/10 animation
8.5/10 sound
deideiblueeyez's avatar By on Dec 25, 2010

I've seen many people who claim to love Hetalia. I was thinking "Hetalia, what the hell is that? Probably something just EVERYBODY loves for no reason (insert eye roll here)" But then I sat down and watched it. Learning that each "episode" is about 5 minutes long interested me. How could they make any progress with 5 freakin minutes?

Here is my review for Hetalia: Axis Powers.

The story is simply gutsy for the creators to take basically all of world history and the countries and their conflicts and make it entertaining enough for viewers not to be bored, and accurate enough where you get the major gist of what was happening around that time. I learned so much from watching this anime that I didn't pick up from simply reading about it or being lectured about it in History class at school. Thumbs up for that!

The fact that the creators took the stereotypes of many iconic countries and moulded those characteristics into actual characters is ballsy, and would probably offend a few snooty patriots of their respective homeland. But it WORKS, because everyone knows it's true!

America is a take-charge, slightly naive, loud-mouthed, yet charismatic player in this show. Russia seems nice and slightly introverted and polite, but then when you ask him what he is thinking, prepare for a peek into the mind of the Devil himself...

I prefer the English dubbed version over the Japanese original simply because I can understand what's going on easily. Characters talk over each other most of the time, and the subtitles are very slow and flash by too quickly with bits of important facts and information at the top of the screen. Also, the Japanese simply cannot do accents of other countries. Take that Pro-Sub!! If you wanna watch an anime where it makes fun of many different nationalities, watch it with voice actors who actually do a good job at making convincing characters, which would be English dub. Score one point for me!!

By the time you finish this anime you'll have developed a soft spot for a country you never knew probably existed (if you're from America, there will be many countries you didn't know existed that appear in this anime .___. ) and never knew you cared so much about them.

Highly recommend this anime for its shortness, and comedic hilarity mixed with light-hearted prejudice mixed with educational information about each country's history and the wars and conflicts and truces and all that good stuff that happens as time goes on.

galacticdude7's avatar By on Apr 9, 2010

-Story-

The thing that I love about Hetalia is that it takes the stories of History, and gives it to the characters, and makes it funny. Hetalia is one of the few Web Animes that I actually find really enjoyable. Most of the story is about history portrayed through the personifications of the nations of the world. Since it is a web series, it has to make due with 5 minutes of time for each episode, which proves to be a great amount to make each episode a joy to watch. The humor is great through out the series, and provides a good laugh into some of history's darker times. The series focuses around the character of Northern Italy, and his friendship with Germany and Japan during the WWII era. It does branch out to encompass other parts of history, and it also deals with the allied powers in WWII also. The humor and satire makes Hetalia a great show.

-Animation-

I loved how each character had a unique look to them, with some of the appearance based on stereotypes of the nations that they represent. Russia is all decked out in all of this winter gear, and America stole Indiana Jones' jacket and put a star on it. They characters just look great.

-Characters-

Even with the great story of Hetalia, the characters are what most people really love about Hetalia, which can be proven with the excessive amount of fan art on the web, especially by yaoi fangirls. (On a side note, I'm tired of seeing America and England together like that). The characters are just rememberable in several ways. They are often based on stereotypes of the people from that country. America is a prime example of this. He talks loud, has an ego bigger that Texas, dreams big, and can be seen eating a hamburger on most occassions. One of my favorite scenes with him was when America was trying to find Japan on a map of the United States, making fun of the stereotype of Americans not knowing anything about Geography. I love all of these characters, with my favorites being America, Canada, England, and Germany.

-Overall-

How can one not fall in love with Hetalia, Its funny and has a whole cast of awesome characters. This is definately in my top 10