HENNEKO - The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat

Alt title: Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.

uncaringbear's avatar
Mar 31, 2014

I actually can't remember how I came upon this anime, or what motivated me to give it a try. The title of the show alone is enough to create a questionable first impression. However, I'm glad I ignored my unfounded initial misgivings, because, despite its flaws, this series delivers entertainment where it counts.

The story centers on Youto, a second year high schooler who is introduced as a typical male teen driven by his insatiable hormones. In an effort to improve his abilities to win over girls, he visits a mysterious statue of a cat god that is purported to grant wishes. It also happens that Tsukiko, a young girl who feels that her personality is too emotional, is also there to make a wish. Together, the two teens make their wish, the resulting outcome sets off a chain of unexpected events that unfold throughout the series.

The most notable outcome is Tsukiko losing her ability to express emotions, particularly through her face and voice. In an effort to undo their wishes, Youto and Tsukiko are caught up in the chaos created by subsequent wishes granted by the cat god.

What I found surprising about this show is that despite the seemingly shallow premise, the story rises above the simple mechanics of the classic wish fulfilling fantasy and delivers a tale where the characters are developed in a meaningful way. The flip side of this is that the show sometimes suffers from identity crisis. On one hand, it often wants to be a romantic comedy with a liberal sprinkling of naughty slaptick thrown in for good measure. But despite giving a cursory nod to 'hentai' in its title, the series makes a commendable effort to take the two protagonists beyond their initial basic character designs. As we learn more about Youto and Tsukiko, we realize there's more to them than the stereotypical hormone-driven teen and the expressionless girl, character types often seen in other shows.

Along with the two leads, the rest of the characters in the show are also very likeable, although the side characters play smaller roles for the most part. One reason for this is that show attempts to cover a lot of ground in 12 episodes. In such a short time frame, several sub arcs are delivered with mixed results. The middle third is probably the weakest, with some plot lines that were confusing and difficult to follow. This is one show I would like to see a second season for, as many of the secondary characters deserved more of the spotlight for further development.

As it is with themes involving the granting of wishes, the propensity for gaping plot holes and logistical inconsistencies is always present, and this show has its fair share. However, by the time we reach the conclusion, most questions that have been left dangling are answered, leaving only a few loose threads.

In many ways, I enjoyed this show for its ambition. It may have been a marketing attempt to draw in an audience with its surface appearance of fluff and implied lewdness, but to its credit, it's more than just a teen comedy. The characters manage to grow over a short time span and you can empathize with their struggle to come to grips with their relationships and the mysterious memories of a past that defines who they are. Although some of the humour can be juvenile and usually uncalled for, for the most part, I appreciated the lighter moments.

Along with the solid storyline, the animation and visual design of the characters is excellent. There isn't a significant amount of action sequences or special effects, but the animation is effective and appropriate. The character designs stood out for me immediately. It's a style that I found visually crisp and nearly flawless in execution.

I can't comment on the Japanese voice acting, but I found the voices to be pleasing, and they matched the personalities of the characters. Tsukiko's character was stood out, and was expressed (pun intended) well. There isn't much else to comment on in regards to the audio. It's not memorable, but get's the job done. The opening and ending songs are quite catchy, though, and will likely be stuck in my head for a longer duration than many other show songs I've heard this year.

It's hard to go into a show like this without preconceived notions, but its efforts to deliver more than the usual romantic comedy standards are not wasted. While far from perfect, this show left me wishing for more, in a good way.

RingoStarr1991's avatar
Jun 29, 2013

***This review might contain very light spoilers***

I do not care what everyone might think of this anime; yes it is a no nonsense comedy and yes the main character is a huge perve but despite all of this there are many heartfelt and amazing scenes inside this 2013 anime.

Story: 6/10

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko is a story about cat gods that make wishes and the unseen consequences of said wishes. The story follows Youto who is for all intents and purposes a huge pervert with a heart full of gold (and most likely blood too). He ends up becoming the reason Tsukiko, the younger Tsutsukakushi sister loses her ability to show emotion. Along with her older sister Tsukushi and an annoying blonde ditz Azusa, they all go through different trials and events due to the cat gods wishing powers.

So first off; this is a harem. If you do not like harems then leave now you will not like this show. For you who are still here, there are many great things this show accomplishes. First while this is a fanservice heavyish anime, pretty much everything is tied to a gag. Youto gets into many different situations because like 99.9% of the boys his age, he is a perve. All of these scenes (and believe me there are tons) are so funny and yes I actually did “laugh out loud” during many moments of the show. The scenes with Tsukiko are especially funny since even when she is extremely embarrassed, her monotone, no expression acting makes it so much funnier. It is a really funny show take my word for it.

What the show ended up lacking on is what shows in this genre usually end up doing; leaving out important information and having excessive plot holes. A large amount of information seems to be pulled out of nowhere or just not looked into enough. It just seemed a little off putting when a character would bring up something like it’s common knowledge in the show but you cannot remember when (or even if) it was brought up. Also there will be large amounts of time where a main character will just up and disappear without any notice for three or so episodes.

Now pertaining to the actual plot of the show, you can kind of split this show up into three or so parts. Essentially we start with the whole Tsukiko emotionless thing but then later on you are introduced to Azusa who ends up wishing for stuff. So essentially as the show progresses you will see Youto have to deal with various issues with various individuals. Everything seems to flow quite nicely EXCEPT the last sort of story arc (I guess the last four or so episodes). Everything begins to rush to a certain point of the plot and I feel as if some more time was needed. I do have to say that the final episode was very enjoyable as we FINALLY got to see some back story for Youto. Overall the story is passable and enjoyable even if the show suffers from pacing issues towards the end.

Animation: 8.8/10

The animation in this show is really good thanks to the character models, lighting, AND THE EYES (I’m a weirdo). Each character is very detailed and has a constant quality throughout the entire season. Also the eyes are extremely well done. There are many scenes where characters will seem more believable just because of how they are looking towards each other (eyes are important man). The color palette was pretty good in my opinion; nothing looked bland and the backgrounds were pretty good.

Sound: 7.5/10

The main star focus of the sound in this anime are the voice actors. Even though Tsukiko was monotone for like 95% of the show, just the way her voice actor presented herself with the different mannerisms made her character’s performance much more believable. The rest of the cast also did a great job especially Youto. As for the soundtrack for the anime, all I can say is that it was pretty average. Other than the really catchy opening song, everything else was there but just not over the top awesome.

Characters: 8/10

The only thing really holding me back from giving this show a close to perfect score on the character section is Azusa. She was by far the most annoying female character of this season (yes even more than Tohka from Date a Live). That being said, the rest of the cast did an amazing job providing us with some very interesting scenes.  The chemistry between Youto and Tsukiko is awesome to see unfold throughout the entire season as they do become closer and closer. Also due to some certain events later on in the show, Youto somehow gets on Tsukushi’s good side which makes things even more interesting later on with all three main females gunning for Youto. Most of the characters get pretty extensive character development so yeah overall this anime did a great job presenting us with interesting characters (fu#@ Azusa though…annoying b!%ch).

Overall: 7.6/10

This show was a real shocker for me. When I saw “hentai” in the title for the show, I automatically assumed it was going to be a stupid ecchi anime. What I found out after twelve episodes was that masked in this gag comedy anime, there are some really cute, interesting, and serious moments that I will remember for the years to come. I strongly encourage you take the time to sit through this show. You will be too busy laughing your ass off to point out the plot holes.

Enjoyment: 9/10

Thanks for reading my review! If you liked my writing style, would like to see some other reviews, or just want to talk, please stop by my page!

Sincerely,
Awesome Drummer

8.8/10 animation
7.5/10 sound
7.6/10 overall
WolfAngelus's avatar
Nov 8, 2016

The image art and name are a bit misleading. There are only a few scenes with that show underwear and there is no hentai material. Having expected lots of both of these, I can say that it doesn't even come close to "that type of anime".

If you are looking for a cute, fun, comedy, and light ecchi anime, this is an excellent choice. The cute factor stands out across the board, from the opening theme song and video, to the personalities of most characters, to the coloring, costumes, and overall design of the animation, and of course the story too. There aren't too many anime that have this quality or persistently use it so it makes for a nice change. Expect to laugh, this is pretty funny as it utilizes both regular comedy and ecchi based comedy. In terms of comedy, this would be high up on the list when compared with other comedy anime. The ecchi content here is pretty light and not extreme. What you will see are a few underwear scenes, and 1-2 almost nude images but nothing actually shows. The ecchi component comes through heavily in its dialogue, actions, and a bit of a suggestive nature. Of course the primary culprit behind it all is the main character known as the "Hentai Prince" who will be frequently referred to as a pervert. This actually made for a very enjoyable experience through use of dialogue which creates the comedy, rather than rely on nudity or showing off girls chests for eye candy.

The story itself isn't anything magical, but more fun and cute. It follows the school & daily life scenario of a couple of characters and tosses in something different in the form of a wish granting cat god statue. It was interesting to see the deeper thoughts of characters and their wishes which don't appear on the surface. The story does shift around a bit and if you look at it closely, it is a bit fragmented into smaller scenarios with only a few links that tie most events together. It has a nice and very unexpected ending that is kind of touching though and was nicely done due to offering up a mixed feelings situation with having a sad aspect from one perspective, but also a very happy aspect from the other perspective. Rather than have everyone feel the same way, it will depend on your viewpoint.

The characters are simply adorable and funny. Naturally, Tsutsukakushi is the other main character, "the stony cat". I really liked the personality they gave her, it is a strong mix of cute and funny, but she is also blunt and a bit harsh. The harsh component though is what makes a lot of the dialogue funny. Throughout the episodes and made clear at the end, it is obvious why she treats the hentai prince this way and says/does those things. The sounds she makes when she eats, gets mad, or the way she says "Eek"(like she clearly doesn't mean it and means the opposite) are just too much adorableness. The rest of the regular cast of characters are not too far off and will remain memorable.

Overall this was a surpising find and a lot different than expected, in a good way. Don't judge an anime by its picture or title holds very true here. I highly recommend viewing this if you want something really cute and super funny, and can laugh at a non-serious, light ecchi themed anime.

Epimondas's avatar
Oct 21, 2016

For a harem-esque story with a overtly perverted character, this show may surprise you.  I won't say it smashes records or is the best thing you might ever see, but it is far far better than almost any other anime that ever even hinted at harem or had a strong perverted character.  I have a bit of a problem with the sacrifice made and the loss of Youto's memories and not just ones from childhood but even any newer ones.  He basically gives himself a early form of alzheimer's disease or senility.  One problem I have with it, is that memories make up a part of who a person is, without that you may as well essentially die off as a person or character.  It is far more prevalent in Youto's case given how much of his mind and his memories he no longer has.  This is not exactly a spoiler or some revelation you see later in the series though it crops up frequently, because from very early on, you get strong clues he is missing something and something important.  In a sense that almost makes him more like an echo or a ghost of someone who once lived rather than an actual living person within the anime.  Think about that statement.  If you lose what makes you you, say such as the most important part of your brain which is to say most of your memories, then what is left?  For those who suffer from such conditions it is a serious problem for them and for anyone that knows or anyone who ever knew them.  Tsukushi is the best, strongest, and most likeable character by far.  She has the broadest range of traits, moments, and emotional reactions.  The only thing I really don't like about her all that much is how much she fails to connect the facts at the end or realize any hint of what may have happened and in the end dismissing it to easily while at the same time totally flat out saying her own family are liars.

While on the one hand I can admire and understand the need to help someone or sacrifice for their  benefit, Youto gives up too much.  In essence, if he had died instead, that would have been less of a sacrifice.  So I do not feel his actions were in the end deserving or justified.  The other issue I have and why his actions are even more meaningless is, the entire second half of the series is devoted to a "different" kind of wish granting which would not have required what he had to give up.  So even if it was a good thing or worth while, it just was not even needed.  The story kind of contradicts itself at the end.  Kudos on being a rare and decent nod to harem and perverion but bad form for forgetting the story and asking too much of a lead character.  In my eyes, giving up what he did, is beyond giving up your own life and even hints at giving up your very existance and spirit on top of that.  Now, I don't think being selfless for a worthy cause is a bad thing or risking a heavy cost to help others, but going that far is like going against god, gods and goddesses or the heavens or whatever your religious view would be as a reference.  In essence, it is what would be deemed a sin.  You don't need to do something the wrong way to accomplish something good or useful.

Honestly, the characters are all almost template punchouts of cliches such as Tsukiko or Azusa.  You see these characters in so many anime especially of similar themes and genres that it can hardly be called original let alone suggest any effort whatsoever might have gone into their creation.  Ponto is pretty much your average best male friend of a lead male character you can see in dozens of anime though bits of his character stand out a tad such that he is not pervy but he used to be.  Tsukasa is far more original than either of her daughters.  Tsukushi however maybe somewhat part cliche but the mix I suppose is original enough with strong enough characteristics, even if cliched to an extent to, that she stands out.  Emi though a bright cheery character is hardly original and sadly feels more like a filler character than one that stands solidly on her own feet.  Mai is somewhat of a cliche but not as much as most of the other characters and her more or less unique blend of appearing prim and proper but having a dirty mouth and mind is a refreshing mix.  Tsukiko hardly ever looks to be invested in any emotions or solid interest in anyone though at least she, albiet a bit too little to late like, does try to express feelings later.  However, after one story arc and a look at her past, it doesn't seem like she actually ever gave up her emotions or expressing them since it seems like she never did.  Yet she did have them in the first episode which just makes her character completely confusing and contradicts the so called wishes as well as the meat of the story.  She was a much better and cuter character when she did express emotions in that first episode.

The story suffers a bit from the confusing dualism of the cat god which makes it unclear and uncertain who or what it really is or if there are two of them or just one with a dual personality. The confusing conditions on the one hand and none on the other just add to the frustration of what exactly the story being told really is.  You do get the strong impression that one character more than any other either holds the most power over the cat god, most favor, or just gets the most wishes granted.  Once you know the full story as disclosed by the last episode you might get an idea why that person holds such a position.  You probably wont feel satisfied with the end relationship wise it leaves too much hanging in the air.  So it leaves the viewers hanging as to where who stands with respect to what to Youto or the others.

Sound wise nothing stood out extremely positive or negative except perhaps the weird but unneccessary way when Tsukiko ate she added sound effects.

Like a flip of a coin, one side is great and well above average or even fantastic, but the other side f that coin is so atrocious it pretty much cancels out all the good parts.

5.5/10 story
6.5/10 sound
5.5/10 overall
Bkeiper83's avatar
Aug 17, 2016

This gem will always be a mainstay in my collection. I can watch it many times over without losing interest. This show has the best blend of adult comedy mixed with sitcom for any that I have seen. This is pure unadulterated fun for anyone who wants a good laugh, and to get the feels all at the same time. I am not a big review writing person, but this one deserves it. Its got a great story, it has great charaters, and it makes you want more.