Hana Yori Dango

Alt titles: Boys Over Flowers

vivafruit's avatar By vivafruit on Apr 14, 2007

There are many individuals online who seem to believe that all anime, regardless of its genre or general quality, is art. According to them, each and every series is something to be admired from a suitably safe distance, and any sort of criticism is basically heresy.

The problem with this theory lies in shows like Hana Yori Dango. The show seems interested in nothing but catering to the lowest common denominator, and throws all manner of clichés into the work to do so. If Hana Yori Dango is "art," so is fast food.

The shows derivative nature is most noticeable in the plot, which seems to be moving on rails from the very start. Even those with minimal experience in either traditional shoujo or Hollywood romantic comedy will still probably find the "twists" predictable and the by-the-book dialogue all too familiar. Everything feels hackneyed and overdone. In one scene, a character shouts out that he loves the protagonist, but his voice is drowned out by a noisy vehicle that happens to be driving by at the time. Seriously, who hasn’t seen that somewhere else?

Despite this, the plot is initially entertaining on camp value alone. The cheesy and predictable nature of the plot lends a certain charm similar to what Fushigi Yuugi had going for it. However, this isn’t really enough to carry the series for all 51 episodes; it’s only a matter of time before the gas runs dry and the show tanks.

All of this leads to an ending that is at once obvious and moronically illogical. The contortions that the writing has to go through in order to twist the ending into something acceptable to the studio execs surpass mere deus ex machina and into absolute absurdity. The anime doesn’t quite dip to the level of the “it was all a dream” style of conclusion, but comes far closer than any respectable work ever should.

The series is also hurt somewhat by its age; the animation was most likely only serviceable when the show was aired, and has since aged horribly. In particular, the character designs feel extremely dated and ugly, and any sort of action looks clunky and unnatural.

For the soundtrack, practically the entirety is comprised of classical music mixed at a fairly high (and noticeable) volume. This might have actually worked better in a classier show, but when played alongside the soap opera antics that the characters engage in, the music feels distinctly out of place. The music also becomes a little repetitive when the same handful of tracks is used for all 51 episodes.

Such a story has been saved in the past by a set of solid, likeable characters, but Hana Yori Dango has no such luck. The protagonist has the perky, survive-through-any-hardship vibe that seems to be a universal trait among shoujo heroines, but is otherwise a blank slate (similar to male “heroes” in harem shows). The two main love interests fare slightly better in originality, but I hated them all the same. One character is a violent, stupid and snobbish oaf that will probably be beating his wife in 20 years, while the other shows so little emotion that it’s difficult to feel anything for him at all. The two personalities seem as if they were made specifically to appeal to shallow female adolescents, most likely because they were. The supporting cast ranges from mildly annoying to completely forgettable.

3.5/10 animation
4.5/10 overall
DistMan's avatar By DistMan on Jan 26, 2005

Hana Yori Dango is a shoujo anime that has been around since 96. It’s about Tsukushi who joins Eiken Academy – a school for upper-class people. This show deals with three themes. The first theme, which becomes apparent quite fast, is bullying/harassment. It isn’t quite sandbox bullying "Gimme back my spade! Gimme back my spade you dummy!" type of thing. This is real-life school (be it junior high, high-school or university, even workplace) harassment depicted in its purest, most raw, uncensored way.

Tsukushi comes from a poor family who insist on her going to Eiken because of one or more underlying reasons. Also, in this school we have F4 – the most respected (because of fear) group of men who will make life a hell for anyone just looking at them the wrong way. This is shown by the victim receiving a 'red note' in his or her locker. Once that has been done everyone on the school will stop talking to the victim, a group of violent people will harass the victim, another group will spread bad rumors and so on. It's a physical and mental all-out harassment. This is shown exceptionally well and feels very real, because it happens in today's modern society. In this show Tsukushi manages to get one of those red notes when she defends a friend of hers who accidentally fell onto one of the F4 boys. From there on her personal hell begins. So, we get to follow Tsukushi who keeps on fighting for her rights, not only that but she declares war of the F4 leader Domyouji who is son of one of the richest people in Japan.

From there on we get onto the second part of the show: love-triangles. This part feels very much like a soap opera for a while. It’s very cliché at times and could’ve been any live-action romance soap opera. Basically, Tsukushi develops feelings for one of the F4 guys because one or many reasons, while another one develops feelings for her – and then we have the rivals, friendship, backstabbers...and everything becomes messy for a while.

The show picks itself up quite fast though and the excessive soapyness disappears. Now we hit the third theme which deals with the lower class and upper-class differences as well as the prejudices, why does some rich people act like they do? This is handled exceptionally well and the theme is given reasonable time unfold. It also deals with the issue of politically arranged marriages and the standpoints of the various parties involved.

All in all this is a watch worthy show. It gets very emotional and feels very real at times which is what makes this show very good. The love-triangle soap opera was a little much for my taste, but considering all of the good points with this show it’s just a small bump on the road.

The 51 episode long show is concluded in a most acceptable way and left me with nothing but satisfaction.
I don’t quite know what to make of this part. First I thought the production was wrong. It says 1996 – 1997, but watching it I began to wonder if it wasn’t 86 – 87 instead. Almost everything about this show breathes 86 – 87. The image transfer, the opening theme, the way the backgrounds were done, colors everything. It felt very much like Maison Ikkoku but with more modern character designs and cars.

The backgrounds are almost solely watercolor which gives the show a more softer feel. The character designs are well done and when it comes to facial close-ups it seems like these are the predecessors to the designs the guys who made Sol Bianca and Armitage III – Dual matrix uses. Which brings me to the good points. I really liked how they drew the lips and noses in the close up shots. The lips are clearly accentuated, as is the nose. It’s not like some of today’s designs where you can barely see the nose or the lips. The lines uses for the characters are black and solid ink.

Overall the animation has a very soft feel that definitely fits the show. That isn't to say the story is soft, because it’s anything but soft... it just feels very fitting. If I am to compare this show against another 96 – 97 anime the score will be rather low (somewhere around the 6 region), but if I were to include how well it fits the show into the equation I'd rate the animation closer to a 7.
Same as with the visuals. It feels very mid 80’s. The audio is a bit muddy, just like my cassette tapes from late 80’s that I still have lying around. I didn’t recognize any particular VA in this show either. They all perform alright and I don’t have anything particularly bad to say.

The opening piece sounds very late 60’s early 70’s. It could’ve been a Gilbert O’Sullivan tune that they played. The opening animation is nice with the whole crew performing a dance show in rhythm to the theme.

The background music consists of classical pieces only, except for one that is of a more boogie style with a very nice saxophone solo. These pieces are so good that they definitely didn't sound like they came from a soundtrack. Instead, they were the same caliber as any other normal classical tune out there! This gets a big plus from me. I’m a bit tired of the cold-lifeless synthetic synthesizer strings and one-man-band keyboard soundtrack compositions which is used every here and there. The music fits the scene and sets the mood exactly and precisely.
The important part of the show is undoubtedly the characters, their interactions and their personalities. The show shines in this department. You can’t make a show about relations if you don’t make the characters come alive, after all.

Tsukushi is the main character in this show and we follow her life. This whole process is shown exceptionally well. The hell at her school, how she tackles her problems, the problems at home with her family where her mom is a part-timer and her dad has an unsure future regarding his employment. We have some friendships developing throughout this show. We also have those who exploit Tsukushi's good faith and belief in people, and her contacts with F4.

All in all I don’t have anything bad to say in this section. The characters feel and act real considering their backgrounds, upbringing and so on.

The show does exceptionally well in showing the bad eggs of the show. The real ..."jerks" (I’m sure you get my drift). I’m usually a calm and composed person, but at times I found myself staring at my corpse-white knuckles. If that isn’t empathy then I don’t know what is.
9.5/10 characters
coffeebreath's avatar By coffeebreath on May 23, 2011

Adapted from the best-selling shoujo manga of all time the Hana Yori Dango anime has big shoes to fill. The initial premise of the show is that Tsukushi Makino comes from a very poor family but attends a school for the wealthy members of high-society. This opens up a sandbox of possibilities for a great mix of school life and drama. So throw in the romantic connection between Tsukushi and the two richest boys in the school and you have an obvious yet clever setup.

The execution is surprisingly rife with cliche. There are contrivances and misunderstandings, the script is full of angst, and many scenes frequently tide over into the arena of melodrama. Yes, these factors are very present but they do not ruin the anime. Hana Yori Dango is exciting and rewarding because of these aspects and believable despite them. And, most importantly, Hana Yori Dango is not trashy. Hana Yori Dango is classy. If you need a lesson in trashy, I would suggest (but not encourage) you to check out Ayashi no Ceres.

Hana Yori Dango progresses in a typical will-they-won't-they style which can understandably become tedious. However, Tsukushi and Tsukasa's journey is highly tumultuous as various secondary characters enter the frame to stir up vindictive amounts of trouble and conflict. Themes such as bullying, jealousy, and class distinction are served up like a hearty full English breakfast in a fairly blunt manner. Tsukushi's life is endangered on a number of occasions and she encounters prejudice and hostility practically everywhere she goes. Hana Yori Dango offers quite the rollercoaster ride with plenty of surprises, it twists and turns and practically every episode leaves you hanging before another sharp drop.

Easily the ugliest show in my list of favourite anime. Character designs are awkward, movement is sometimes mechanical, backgrounds are soft but lack detail. Colours feel particularly watered-down and do not offer much variation, but this actually makes the anime easier on the eye. There is a certain charm that the animation and art style offers, in that very few other anime look anything like this, but it can be jarring until you relax into it. Those who find poor animation an unforgivable factor in anime (an unfortunate majority) will struggle to sit through Hana Yori Dango's 51 episodes. However, once the show is over, and considering you enjoyed it, you won't be able to imagine the show looking any other way.

Hana Yori Dango benefits from a rich classical soundtrack that allows it to retain a sense of timelessness. I can only imagine how much 90s cheese the OST would've had otherwise. The OP and ED hint at what we may have had to endure - the OP sounds like a poor early Beatles imitation but is catchy and enjoyable in its own right. The music of Hana Yori Dango is fairly repetitive yet memorable, though at times it heightens the melodrama to a superfluous level - there is one composition that wouldn't be out of place if played during the climactic battle of man vs. nature in an adaptation of Moby Dick.

What encourages me to give extra points in this category are the voice actors. The entire cast is made up of unknowns, the majority of whom have no credits for any other roles. However, they treat the script with care and for the most part the acting does not feel too cheesy. The dub, however... atrocious. Tsukushi is voiced by Kelly Sheridan who is not suited for strong female types (this is a woman who plays Nana Komatsu and Barbie in the same voice as Shuurei Kou and Tsukushi... err, what?) and Tsukasa's voice-actor may not have understood the character at all since, aside from sounding whiny, he gives off a far more bratty and snobby air than Tsukasa has.

The real star of the show is Tsukasa Domyoji. He is very detestable for a good chunk of the show - an intentional move. Adjective dump: violent, stupid, desperate, aloof, arrogant, irrational, cold, and self-destructive. Tsukasa is difficult to like until you realise that these cracks result from the damage he endured from parents that neglected him and his sudden feelings for Tsukushi that he clearly doesn't know how to deal with. As the anime progresses you begin to see evidence that he has all the aforementioned traits and their opposite inside of him. The Domyoji family is one of the richest in Japan, and while Tsukasa is obviously spoiled by most people's definitions he is not a brat so much as a lonely teenager. Living alone in a mansion the size of a hospital? Complacency and apathy should surely follow. The snobbish comments he makes are spoken with a brazen honesty that sounds like he's merely stating facts and not opinions. He is so far from your typical romance male lead that I was willing to like even his horrible side at the beginning because of how refreshing his character was. For all the shitty things he does his character triumphs through some beautiful moments of redemption.

Tsukushi Makino is the heroine and lead character. Her feisty and determined nature is combined with sensitivity and a frequent lack of reason that gives her character a sense of frustrating realism but also makes her fun to watch. Tsukushi has no problem drop-kicking and punching her way through the story, followed by flurries of panicked thoughts after she is clear of the conflict. Sometimes it is hard to know which part of her is a front and which is genuine, and her simultaneous tendency to make terrible decisions and be blind to the obvious can be frustrating, though luckily she does not sink to the level of downright retardation like characters such as Mitsuki Koyama. She essentially remains the same person throughout the anime, her main development comes in the slow disintegration of the walls she has erected around herself that surprisingly result in her being one of the most closed-minded characters in the show. I do not feel it would be too presumptuous of me to say she probably set the standard for what makes hot-headed and strong-willed shoujo lead females so widely used today. However, given that Hana Yori Dango has slipped somewhat under the radar Tsukushi may not bring anything unique to the table since the concept has been repackaged into much more popular characters such as Skip Beat! lead Kyoko Mogami.

Secondary characters are surprisingly hard to ignore. In-between Sakurako, Junpei and Mrs. Domyoji there are some true villainous characters who display levels of manipulation and hatred which will boil your blood. Rui Hanazawa is Tsukushi's other love interest and I will leave him for your own discovery - and also because a character so difficult to read defies my ability to define him.

Overall

Hana Yori Dango has downfalls but enjoying it feels equal to indulging in a rich gateaux which you simply can't regret because it tastes too damn good. I would recommend this one easily to the shoujo, romance, or drama fans. To all others I say: don't let your inner critic take the wheel when watching this anime, just let them sit back and enjoy the ride. It's a classic and has set standards. The story would be refreshing to watch even now after the emergence of so many genre-defining school romances since HYD. It wouldn't surprise me if Hana Yori Dango was pegged for a remake in the next 5 years - watch this space!

6.5/10 sound
8.5/10 characters
FreddyCrab's avatar By FreddyCrab on Nov 4, 2011

Story: Putting it simply, the story of HanDan is very simple and just like every other romantic shoujo comedy out there- but theres a reason why they are a all like this: Because HanDan managed to pull it off with such success that the others all followed suit. From the first episode of the series, I could tell it would be an emotional, magical story what would pull me in and amaze me, and it did. Easily my second favourite anime of all time (It would be first, if not for the fact that Digimon was my first ever anime hence my top favourite) Hana Yori Dango boasts great characters, great gradual storyline-what may have sometimes dragged- but was still pure genius, and superb at everything.

Animation: I'd wanted to watch this series for a long time, but the art style had put me off as it really wasn't to my tastes and since the show was older than I was I immediately presumed I wouldn't become much of a fan of this show anyway-how wrong I was. Within about 3 or 4 episodes I was used to the animation and old style of it, and by about episode 15 I was in LOVE with the animation- I wish there were more shows with that style of animation in fact. It could be a little slobby at times, but in general it was very good and got better as the episodes progressed.

Sound: Sad to say, music isn't the strong point of this particular anime, but hey, we don't watch anime for the music after all. The opening sequence I ALWAYS skipped as soon as I got to episode 2 or 3- I just HATED it. It sounded like it was from the 60s and was horribly outdated and cheesy. The music in the actual show was sweet and mostly instrumental with piano and violin accompaniments. They were VERY repetitive to the extent that you knew each song almost off-by-heart but they sounded good and suited the overall mood of the anime, so I can't complain.

Characters: Characters are what make this show sparkle; their all superbly etched out, their individual personalites made clear from minute one, and you end up loving them all from minute one. The love triangle between Tsukushi, Tsukasa and Rui is one of the most memorable ones in history and the greatness of it is that its never clear exactly whom Tsukushi will end up with, not like most Shoujo's where its blindingly obvious and you know exactly how it will end.

Overall: Easily the best Shoujo I've ever watched or read, this is a must-watch, regardless of its age and old animation.

Midnightx's avatar By Midnightx on Mar 31, 2012

I watched this anime non-stop front beginning to end, it left me wanting more out of it with the plot, twist and turns.  Sadly the girl is too stupid for her own good, I was expecting more romance out of it and was sadly dissapointed. For being an older series, they did pretty well with the graphics and storyline, overall I give it an 8.