Guardian of Darkness

Alt titles: Takegami: Guardian of Darkness, Ankoku Shinden Takegami

TheStampede01's avatar By TheStampede01 on Mar 31, 2013

Takegami, a somewhat decent action OVA title from the 90's. I guess you could say it was a mecha title, but not really since it's more of a transformation into this demon mecha type thing...

Story- The story follows our hero Koichi who has to fight off these dragons that are incarnation of ancient Japanese gods or something like that. He is granted the power of transforming into this badass red demon mecha thing in order to fight the dragons. There are a lot of references to Japanese Shitoism and I'm not going to pretend like I understood most of them. There is als oa girl name Terumi who has also been "chosen", although shes not a fighter shes... there to be some sort of vassal. So yeah most of this OVA is people getting killed and posessed by theses god things and Koichi kicking their asses.

Animation- Best part of the OVA, well atleast for me since I'm a fan of older aniamtion. Very fluid, nice char designs and I especially enjoyed the cool demon/mecha designs that show up in the series.

Sound- A lot of traditional Japanese music, fit very well with the theme of the show. Nothing amazing though.

Characters- Definitely a weak part of the series, honestly it was hard to remember many characters aside from Koichi. The female lead of the show is one of those "quiet" reserved girls and shes not even the main romantic interesting for the male lead. Theres another girl who is just normal and another guy who is something of a priest who tries but mostly fails to help in battle. Yeah didn't think much of the characters in this.

Overall- Although I didn't find this particularly amazing or anything, it was pretty decent for what it was and I enjoyed the action scenes quite a bit. I don't think I can safely recommend this to anyone.

5.5/10 overall