Gravitation

sothis's avatar By sothis on Jan 5, 2005

Shuichi is a young guy who has a friend named Hiro and a band named Bad Luck. They haven't hit it big quite yet, but are determined to get to the top eventually! One day, by chance and a gust of wind, one of the self conscious Shuichi's songs gets into the hand of Eiri Yuki, a cynical and heartless writer, who proceeds to inform Shuichi that he has no talent. Shuichi is totally thrown off guard, and needs to find the man again to figure out what his problem was.

Gravitation, as you've probably heard, is shounen-ai. Yes, I said shounen-ai, as in, men who like men, NOT yaoi, which is men having sex with men. People, when will you learn to stop calling anything homosexual yaoi? Like Earthian before this, this in fact has nothing yaoi related in it. Thus, unless you are really homophobic (and if you are, I suggest therapy), you would probably enjoy this if you like romances.

So what is Gravitation, ultimately? Well, it's definitely a romance series (with comedy thrown in), but it's also a series that follows the band and their rise to fame. These two things are intermixed fairly well throughout the 13 episodes, so there isn't much segmentation to be found. First, let's talk about the romance. We definitely aren't given any lag time as far as the romance kicking in -- things start as early as episode one. Now, I had some problems with the pacing as far as this is concerned. I've read other reviews which talk about how the plot examines Shuichi and him coming to terms with being gay, but I didn't see this AT ALL. I almost wonder if the people reviewing Gravitation were accidentally watching something else. Though Shuichi seems confused all of ONE OR TWO TIMES when Yuki kisses him, after that he's gung ho about the whole thing. We don't see anything where Shuichi is examining his actions or wondering why he is attracted to a male. He just... is. After the first kiss, he keeps coming back, doesn't really talk about the fact that he's switched to the other team (except occasionally asking if Yuki doesn't like him because he's male), etc. This would have been MUCH more effective and believable had Shuichi done the things these other reviews said: coming to terms with being gay. The way the story was set up, however, made me think Shuichi had known he was gay all along. Otherwise, I'm sorry, he would have reacted a hell of a lot differently to the entire situation (and probably would have taken much longer to come to terms with the idea that it was ok). I understand the length was short, but it made it feel much more unrealistic.

The part about the band rising to fame, however, was very compelling and interesting. It's always nice to watch a series where people go from nothing to something, especially in a band related way, since there aren't many series like that out there. The band story definitely was on the back burner compared to the romance, though.

Intermixed with the drama and seriousness was a great deal of chibis and random humor. Though this was funny at some times, it was totally inappropriate many other times. Often Yuki and Shuichi would be sharing a moment together, and suddenly Shuichi is in a random animal suit acting all whiny. Totally ruined the mood, in my opinion. Another failing of the series was the fact that Shuichi was truly annoying in every way possible, and made you wonder why Yuki is even bothering with him in the first place

All in all, a decent idea, but the pacing was quite unbelievable and felt rushed. Also, as mentioned, the romance seemed fairly unrealistic at times because of the total lack of self-examination that went into Shuichi's decision to be with Yuki. A decent idea, though, and the band story was refreshing at least.
Visually, Gravitation is fairly good. The characters are DEFINITELY bishounen and pleasant looking, reminding me of the characters from X TV or, well, any other series with bishounen characters ;). Hair colors and such were pinks, oranges, and other unusual colors, and the colors used in general were quite vibrant and unique. The clothing on the characters was quite interesting -- very feminine looking, but all the Jpop band photos I've seen do wear clothing like this, so it seemed appropriate. There were only a few unusual types of animation (or lack of) used. In the first episode, some regular video was intermixed with the animation, which quite frankly looked really bad. For example, a real shot of a mini waterfall would be shown, and then an animated one on the street. Near the end a shot of a pizza box was partially animated and partially looking 3D, which looked terrible. Sticking to the normal animation would have been just fine.
The music was vibrant and poppy, given that it was based on a Jpop band. My only complaint is that Bad Luck played the same exact song every single time, which got very old after awhile. It would have been nice to hear another song they did, since the first one was great. We occasionally heard songs from other bands which were just as good, but again, the same songs were replayed the entire series. The rest of the music was definitely in the background and uneventful. Even the opening and intro were catchy for once.
I'd like to give the characters a higher score, but a few things hold me back from doing that. First of all, like already mentioned, I had a big problem with Shuichi going into the realm of gay and not even examining the choice or opportunity. Maybe it's covered in the manga more, but I didn't read the manga, I watched the anime. Thus, I would have liked for there to be some development on that front. It's not realistic to me to watch two characters hook up extremely fast and fall into a routine, without having grown together or really talked about stuff. I kept wondering why Shuichi liked Yuki so much, and why he became so clingy.

Shuichi's character was just obnoxious in general. He was extremely whiny and cried a lot, and acted like he was 15. He was a clingy leech and I can't see why Yuki would have been attracted to that. Yuki was a far better character, who had a complex past that we discover near the end, which helps to explain why he is the way he is. He's manipulative and tricky, but deep down is a good guy. He had emotional layers, I liked that.

Other secondary characters ranged from good to annoying. Hiro was a good friend and had an interesting role as a band-mate, while a rival band member (and Shuichi's idol) was INCREDIBLY annoying. He had the same voice actor as Chichiri in Fushigi Yuugi (I couldn't STAND his voice), and even tacked "no da" on the end of the sentences! I seriously wonder what was up with that. In general, the character development was the best with Yuki, since we discovered his past. The romance between Shuichi and Yuki seemed unrealistic and rushed, and there wasn't much else besides that. So, an above average score, but probably not a lot.
6.7/10 story
7.5/10 sound
6.6/10 characters
Larkawolfgirl's avatar By Larkawolfgirl on Oct 23, 2009

This show was beautiful. It was highly addicting, and you loved the characters. The only problem I would say with the story was that it was somewhat predicable. Having seeing so many episodes you could geuss what was going to happen next. The show had great music and sound. The Jappanese voices fit very well with the characters. The animation to this I think was better than in the ova. In this Shuichi is much cuter than in the ova. It did a great job of expressing Shuichi's feelings. It had a great romance that just made you love it, and want everyone to be happy. Overall I loved this show, and think that it should be given a watch.

londonafrost's avatar By londonafrost on Apr 14, 2012

YAOI!  Thats all I need to say :P

I love YAOI and this provides everything I was looking for.  It was so cute!  I remember seeing this anime during one of my very first Cons and I continued to watch it all the way through.  It was so good!

BelleThePunk's avatar By BelleThePunk on Feb 22, 2011

Gravitation has to be not only my favourite anime, but favourite show!

I love the story the line! Each episode seems to end on a cliffhanger, which lead to me watching the whole series through out one night! (Felt sick and tire din the morning after no sleep XD) .
This show, and its characters, are incredible addictive! But frustrating. How? Well, when you get deep in to the show, you will find your self becoming so annoyed at characters such as Yuki, that you may feel your brains spilling out your ears!

Characters are brilliantly created, with all of them individal in their own right. Voices (In both English and original dub) fit the characters pefectly, and even the clothes speak the characters personalities and traits.

Unlike other Shounen-ai anime shows (such as Papa kiss in the dark), the content is decent, with only scenes of kissing and 1 or 2 suggestions that characters Yuki and Shuichi have intercorse. The only scene that isn't decent, is a 5 second scene showing Shuichi tied up naked and Yuki holding a whip. Otherwise the shows content is clean.

Overall, this is defently a brilliant anime! Very sweet and you really will find it grasps on to you!

MikeSinner's avatar By MikeSinner on Mar 3, 2011

First off, I am no fan of boy love or anything, but when I saw a few fragment of this show in a song on youtube, I thought it might be fun to watch anyway...
And indeed, getting past the part that it's not boy meets girl, but meets another boy, we find ourselves a very funny anime with a hyper-active joker as a main character.
Storywise it might not be the most brilliant ever, because some things just don't quite match up, or get worked out properly, but compensating it with a lot of fun is ok with me.
The songs aren't really that good either (I pretty much hate it, not my style), but again, I just had too much fun to be bothered with all that.
Back to the boy-love, it's really not that big of a deal either way, it's not like how they describe yaoi stuff by fangirls in some other anime (sorry, all the knowledge I have and am pleased to not have more is otaku jokes from other anime), so if you're tollerant enough about that and want some good laughs, you might enjoy this show as well.
Or maybe I'm a little too positve because I was surprised myself, but yeah, 8/10 overall. ;)