GJ-bu

Alt title: GJ Club

Add review
TheDevilToufu's avatar
Mar 16, 2016

Well, i really liked this anime, It's pretty normal but yet you can feel the bond between friends that feels like a family, a very warm feeling. A very very warmth feeling indeed. That is what made me keep watching the series.

1st, The Story, every episode of this anime, i assure you, you will be surprised. A club with only 6 members that built a strong relationship, but some of them graduated. Kinda like my old club in my school, a perfectly normal school experience, but that was the most valuable experience in my life. But still, I think they should add more drama into the series.

2nd, The Animation, the animation was good though, i don't know how to describe it, but it was good, so yea.

3rd, The Sound, I have no idea how to describe the sound as it's not an action anime. But the voices of every character suits very well.

4th, The Characters, the characters in this anime was a really good job indeed. Every character has their very typical characterism, but even with so different characterisms, they fit perfectly together, making the whole anime wonderful. Also the characters names very suits the characterism and the names are very easy to memorize.

Lastly, i rated this anime 9/10 as this is one of the anime that really made me laugh (I literaly don't laugh watching comedy animes). This anime is suitable to be watched by any age. I don't know about you guys but i loved it, maybe it's because it reminds me of my old friends?

Mendacious's avatar
Dec 1, 2014

Extremely lethargic After School Club

GJ Club is a slice of life anime, a very very thin slice of life. The opening episode has no hook or apparent story at all. Just a bunch of very average students in a club room doing their separate things. Very average translates into typical archetypes following their preprogrammed scripts. A lone male and four females gives this series the ubiquitous harem feel all too common in anime. The male is typical of those found in these shows, completely uninteresting. Watching this is akin to sitting in a waiting room.

hcanimals's avatar
Mar 31, 2013

I've got nothing profound to say about the direction or animation or characters that made me like this show so much. For some ineffable reason I found the characters likeable and the plot to be just monotonous enough to be likened with my own. It took power over me with charming characters and daily events and arguments that you may have with your own friends. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for an everyday anime

CaptainSlow's avatar
Apr 22, 2014

What I Liked: Nice soundtrack with a old-school video-game feel. Kirara, everything from her character design to the fact that she was depicted as being good at writing (but not at speaking) Japanese. The Ore-man skits are kind of silly but cool. The third ED is energetic and cute. Megumi, for being kind (but sometimes maliciously manipulative). Good animation with a great colour palette.

What I Didn't: Most of the Opening and Closing Themes are standard bubblegum pop fare. Episode 7 just throws in a new character / classmate with very little background. The harem aspects, while not at the forefront of the series, are sometimes played for very cliched laughs. Megumi being bullied for her oversensitivity to her diet, and the fact that this was the punchline for some of the jokes. Mao is almost a walking stereotype. Starts to lose it's charm about half-way through. Last episode suffers from mood whiplash, like most shows of its genre. Insert song in Episode 12 was annoying...

Final Verdict: A cutesy little High School comedy that unfortunately runs out of steam toward the end, GJ Club is harem comedy at its most average. The characters aren't exactly the most riveting people (except for Kirara) and the jokes kind of fall flat or are otherwise grating at times, but it is well animated and has a great soundtrack.

KokiriKid's avatar
Jan 3, 2014

Warning: Some Spoilers at Some Point

There's many things in life that you love but if someone went up to you and asked why is it you loved that particular thing you may not be able to give them an answer. GJ-bu is one of these things. Does it have a plot at all? No. It's one of your typical slice-of-life club anime that you'll get every season. Was the animation superb? No in fact it was very simple but it never disappointed. Were the characters special at least? Nope. The characters were all pretty much your stereotypical tsundere, genius, catgirl, etc. So what is it that made GJ-bu one of my favorite anime of all time? Like I said before it's not easy to put in words as many fans of this show have realised but if I had to describe it with one word it would be the feel. The whole show just simply feels right. It's one of these shows that if I had to use someone else's description, is just so much greater than the sum of its parts. Sure it had mediocre animation, the music wasn't all that great, and there really wasn't all that great, but when it was put all together it just created an experienced that is hard to rival. I don't want to undermine the characters though. Although earlier I said that the characters were all stereotypical, that does not mean they were dull by any means. The characters are what ended up holding the show together and they're what I will go into detail about in this review.

Shinomiya Kyouya

The main protaginist of the series Shinomiya Kyouya, or Kyoro as the GJ-bu members end up calling him is quite a simple boy. He enjoys being surrounded by beautiful girls but he always looks at them respectfully and more as friends than anything. With 5 girls in 1 guy in the club, many people would look at this show as a harem, but Kyoro's attitude makes atmosphere more platonic. That does not mean he doesn't enjoy affection as much as the next guy as we get to see when he doesn't get his share of chocolate on Valentine's day, but he doesn't really have an ulterior motive to his actions. He also takes most of the bullying by Ma-chan and the others in pace and generally is very humble. This of course changes when Ore-man comes into play. Of course even though Ore-man is supposed to be the epitome of "manliness", he still does nothing to degrade or sexualize the girls in the club. All Ore-man does is become more assertive and more confident and that is enough to make the ladies swoon.

Amatsuka Mao

President of the Gj-bu and master tsundere. Mao or Ma-chan the monster as Kyoro so kindly illustrated for us is the ultimate tsundere in the GJ-bu. Always shying away from getting intimate with Kyoro but always fiercly aggressive with him, Ma-chan is always looking to tease our protaganist. Although it's always typically playful bullying or biting, Ma-chan does go overboard sometimes and you see her sorry for it. She is my least favorite out of our main 4 girls but that does not make her a bad character in the least. Although she is tsundere she does it in a very charming way and always manages to be cute in the end.

Amatsuka Megumi

Although she is the younger sister of Mao, she is much taller and much more endowed as well. This of course doesn't come without it's own price as poor Megumi is always worrying about her weight. She is constantly making tea and cake for the club members, although it's obvious she enjoys serving Kyoro the most. She is generally a very happy and angelic girl although one thing that will set her off is talk of her weight.

Sumeragi Shion

The token genius of the club, Shion does lack common knowledge as typical of her type. The thing that was different about Shion was although she lacked the common knowledge of everyday things, she was always working to remedy that shortcoming. Whether it was coming in with cup noodles to learn how to cook them or learning how a vending machine worked, with Kyoro in hand she learned the basics of common knowledge. Although she often times appeared very cool and calm in nature, she had her moments where she would become embarassed and want to join the others in their "unbecoming" activities.

Bernstein Kirara

Easily my favorite character of all time the wonderful catgirl Kirara. She is a foreigner from Canada who doesn't speak very much. Very strong physically (apparently runs in the family) and tall compared to everyone else. She's always seen eating meat and deems only Kyoro worthy of sharing it with. She has a very bad reaction to alcohol which consists of kissing and licking the other club members (peroperoperopero) and can also speak to cats. The best thing about her though is what happened between her and Kyoro at the end. During the run of the show, her japanese is very broken and not that great. She'll always say things like "Tigers jump" or "Meat". Just things that aren't full sentences. At the end though when she has her alone time with Kyoro she starts texting him, and out of nowhere all these full thoughfu sentences appear and it just brings a tear to your eye.

So I feel like my review is kind of everywhere and it is. It's hard to put what I like about this show into words cause I honestly liked every part of it. I'm sure it won't be for everyone but it really is and underrated show. I'm not going to go on about the other characters because although they were also fantastic, they aren't really as consequential as these main five. So although it didn't get a 10/10 on all the sub categories this show deffinatley deserves a 10/10 overall because as I said before it's simply greater than the sum of its parts.

P.S. Sorry if this review was lacking. It's my first attempt at something like this so I hoped it was informative/enjoyable.