Giant Killing

pokopori's avatar By pokopori on Sep 26, 2010

I'd like to say its a typical sports anime but it is in some ways and it isn't...

The general plotline is typical.  A weak soccer team meets an eccentric but talented coach and soon, they begin winning games and fulfilling their potential.  Nothing crazy and unexpected here.

The animation wasn't the typical type.  The art style was different, which is, dare I say, refreshing.  Nothing special here though either.

The music, I did like.  It brought the atmosphere of the game to life.  Lets put it this way, the background music was good enough to make me want to own several tracks on it.  Since the first thing I tend to notice about an anime is its background music and since I tend to be picky about my bgm music, this is saying something.

Character development was average.  Didn't particularly LOVE a character but didn't hate any either.  They were all pretty meh.

Overall, I enjoyed it (as I am a generic sports anime fan).  While surprised at its short-ness (only 26 episodes), I guess I'm also thankful its short and sweet.  There's nothing worse than a generic sports anime with never-ending episodes of games after games...  No wait.  I take that back.  There are worse things... like a harem of magical girls all in love with the same wimpy male lead whose spine is nonexistant.  My point is though, the shortness of this series was, while surprising, a good thing about it.  Although, I'm kinda suspecting there might be a season 2?  Who knows. If there is, I'd probably watch it :)

Caboose19's avatar By Caboose19 on Sep 30, 2010

Giant Killing was a show that I had high hopes for that in the end just couldn't deliver. The premise of the show managed to be both worn out and new at the same time. You have a lack luster sports team that is struggling to stay afloat and a new coach comes with lofty goals and a plan to turn things around through strategy. I've seen this played out in western media a lot but this is the first time I had seen it in an anime.

The story for this show had a lot of potential but in the end had some major flaws. I thought the idea of changing the team through strategy to be an interesting change but in the end you only really see it done in three games. The rest of the show he just leaves the team to fend for them selves in painfully hard to watch episodes. Also the pacing of the series was rather poor as they would blaze through multiple games an episode and then spend 4 episodes on one game. The luls in between the games that matter leave you rather board.

The art style of the show was rather unique and was refreshing but the quality of the animation was rather poor. If would be smooth on more important episodes and jerky one others. There as also the occasional use of horrible CG.

I liked the music used in the series as i thought it fit the mood well, but there were some voices that were a little grating.

Character

There was the character growth in the beginning as the team began to reform under the new coach and that made the earlier episodes watchable. In the end though there are a lot of things that were hinted at in the beginning that are left rather unresolved at the end of the series. By the end of the show i didn't really have any characters that I liked or hated. The characters that i came closest to caring about were side characters for one game .

Overall

Giant Killing is a refreshing change for any sports anime fan that is light and enjoyable. You get a semi-satisfactory ending but a lot still feels unresolved. It could really benefit from a second season but i don't see that happening. For a non-sports anime fan or a non-soccer fan i would advise you to stay away from this one as you can easily find something better.